Forum Settings
Forums

California’s new law forces digital stores to admit you’re just licensing content, not buying it

New
Sep 26, 2:47 PM

Jan 2009
Digital storefronts won’t be able to use words like ‘buy’ or ‘purchase’ unless they make the disclosure. https://www.theverge.com/2024/9/26/24254922/california-digital-purchase-disclosure-law-ab-2426

very good hopefully other places will make this law too

digital games are renting and not owning

oh i forgot gog exist now that is owning your digital games https://x.com/GOGcom/status/1839390063630971350
degSep 27, 11:20 AM
Sep 26, 3:13 PM

Feb 2016
California is the state that requires all food sold to warn that lead is dangerous.
その目だれの目?
Sep 26, 7:24 PM
May 2012
You pay to license the content on physical games, too. The law doesn't allow you to "own" anything when it comes to gaming.
Sep 26, 7:47 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to Kajiuran
You pay to license the content on physical games, too. The law doesn't allow you to "own" anything when it comes to gaming.
@Kajiuran you're perfectly within your rights to resell or rip the files out of a physical game, though. You can't do that to a digital download
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Sep 26, 7:51 PM

Sep 2018
Good seeing companies forced to blackpill consumers on how digital console games are a scam.
Sep 26, 11:23 PM

Jun 2016
I already knew that but I guess most consumers didn't so it's good that they'll finally find out how the system actually works.
I doubt it's gonna change anything though. Digital stores have been the only way to get PC games for more than a decade (even physical copies will which I still buy sometines just direct you to Steam) and console manufacturers have been pushing them hard lately with diskless consoles and attractive price drops during sales periods to match what Steam does.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 27, 1:37 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Kajiuran
@Kajiuran
Digital files they can swipe them off of your computer or prevent you from accessing what you paid for. Physical media they cant break into your house and take what you bought back.
Sep 27, 9:22 AM
May 2012
Reply to Timeline_man
@Kajiuran you're perfectly within your rights to resell or rip the files out of a physical game, though. You can't do that to a digital download
@Timeline_man Sure, you can resell physical games but depending on the prices of those games it's more or less worth it. For example, a game could be $30 on the PS5 but on sale for $5 on Steam. In that case I don't mind not being able to resell an already dirt-cheap game. Also, even though people rip the files doesn't mean that's technically legal to do so.

@traed They could do the same with physical games nowadays, they just don't because it's bad for business.
Sep 27, 9:28 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Kajiuran
@Timeline_man Sure, you can resell physical games but depending on the prices of those games it's more or less worth it. For example, a game could be $30 on the PS5 but on sale for $5 on Steam. In that case I don't mind not being able to resell an already dirt-cheap game. Also, even though people rip the files doesn't mean that's technically legal to do so.

@traed They could do the same with physical games nowadays, they just don't because it's bad for business.
@Kajiuran
No they literally cant outside of subscription based stuff because it would be illegal unless you mean rentals
Sep 27, 9:39 AM

Jul 2013
Sounds like fascism at its finest. Then again, capitalism inevitably devolves into fascism, especially when NTHE is fast arriving.

Capitalism is NOT FREEDOM. Capitalism is slavery. Capitalism only provides "freedom" for the most wicked and evil men to exploit and enslave vulnerable and good people. For profit.

Capitalism= free market for the elites (1% ers) to profit and exploit

Capitalism= slavery and poverty for the masses (99%)
Sep 27, 11:14 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Theo1899
I already knew that but I guess most consumers didn't so it's good that they'll finally find out how the system actually works.
I doubt it's gonna change anything though. Digital stores have been the only way to get PC games for more than a decade (even physical copies will which I still buy sometines just direct you to Steam) and console manufacturers have been pushing them hard lately with diskless consoles and attractive price drops during sales periods to match what Steam does.
@Theo1899 oh i forgot gog exist now that is owning your digital games https://x.com/GOGcom/status/1839390063630971350
degSep 27, 11:20 AM
Sep 27, 1:28 PM

Jul 2013
I don't even live anywhere next door to Commiefornia so the joke's on them. xD

California only represents like what? 0.5 percent of the world population? so says who?

Steam tried to stave off piracy until punkass EA made Origin and messed things up. Tough luck getting digital game sales off the charts once again.

Piracy circumvents all you stupid money people so phooey on you guys!

*blows raspberry*

As for Valve, I am very disappointed in those overpaid asshats for advocating a punkass, woke consultation firm. First EA stupefied piracy like never before and now Valve's name is listed on the SBI website. Tough luck to those AAA assholes. I'm already on piracy's side now boycotting everything stupidly AAA.

Again, screw California and everything associated with it.

*blows another raspberry towards California and my stupid ex-friend having gone back over there*

No one asked you!
Sep 27, 2:00 PM

Oct 2013
Ok...Tell that to pc gamers who have been fine with that for years now. When was the last physical pc game release? I don't think it counts as "renting" though. Renting implies you have to give something back at some point or continually pay for it. I can download a thing as many times as I want so long as I have a something to download onto. A subscription service is closer to renting than buying a digital copy is.
Sep 27, 3:11 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to Kajiuran

Kajiuran said:
people rip the files doesn't mean that's technically legal to do so.
It's legal to rip files and store backup copies of files of physical games. Distribution of those files is illegal.
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
Sep 27, 4:21 PM

Oct 2022
I dont like california, but they are noit wrong

You never buy a digital game: you adquire a license to an account you had access to, and that account is subjects to many TOS (and the software as well). Cases of companies taking off, changing part of the software exists, people losing access to their accounts also exists.

Yes, when buying physical copies you also get a license but also a copy: thats why you cant just go to the company and demand a new one if you disc got screwed, but you own it and can sell it, borrow it, etc. You own that copy.

As for what I have read, is not a big deal, is just letting people have a clear message about what they are doing with their product. Not too long ago someone got in trouble/banned/or just asked (i dont remember exactly the circumstances) for using an account of a diseased familiar, and Steam replied that accounts are not transferable.

https://www.thegamer.com/steam-says-you-cant-inherit-a-dead-persons-account-pc-gaming-ownership-digital-titles/
Sep 27, 6:56 PM

Oct 2013
It's always good to hear about a requirement of customers having to be properly informed, and in a convenient way, about products they buy or services they subscribe.

More topics from this board

» How old is your computer? ( 1 2 3 4 )

CastletonSnob - Mar 12, 2021

161 by nanajp »»
7 hours ago

» Has one of your favorite online games died?

NothingFound - Oct 13

26 by nanajp »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Are you in any video-game comunity?

Zakatsuki_ - Oct 5

26 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
11 hours ago

» What's the most obscure game you've ever played?

karioka- - Aug 16

35 by Morningstar991 »»
Today, 1:13 AM

» What are some games you think fell off the hardest over the years?

Thy-Veseveia - Sep 8

27 by ZoeyBito »»
Yesterday, 2:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.