Forum Settings
Forums
New
5 hours ago

Apr 2018
Are Anime Opening better now or before?

5 hours ago

Feb 2020
During the past few years they have become a little boring and generic.

2008-2019 + 2021 were the best years imo.

Serafos4 hours ago
5 hours ago

Jul 2024
Anime openings have certainly evolved over the years, and opinions on their impressions can vary between retro anime fans and modern day anime fans who wants everything in UHD.
I like anime openings from both past and present..
“Work” – Hell’s Paradise: The opening for the anime Hell’s Paradise features the song by Millennium Parade and Sheena Ringo. The animation is quality and the catchy tune contributed to its popularity.

I also like Battle Cry – Samurai Champloo: The hip-hop-based opening, “Battle Cry” by Nujabes feat. Shing02, stands out for me specially for a historical samurai anime.. Samurai Champloo, created by Shinichiro Watanabe (known for Cowboy Bebop), shows a distinct art style with music.

In recent years, anime openings continue to push with more graphical visuals and music by famous idol groups.. I prefer both the classics like from city hunter and also the current openings like Shikanoko koshitantan
RainyEvenings5 hours ago
5 hours ago

May 2018
I mean that's just like asking what's better: 80's music or modern tunes. Both have their highs and lows, and as always it's completely subjective.

Personally, I vibe a lot with 90's and 2000's openings... probably a testament to being an early 2000's kid.
can't yuck my yum

5 hours ago

Jun 2024
I think I prefer the 80s to early 2010s than present it feels all song are same voice for me it's hard to tell them a part unlike in the past compare the Op Bubblegum Crisis Op to City Hunter they are very different I think stating 2017 to above where to weak for me to listen, don't get me wrong there good song I like the op of Hero is Dead that what I looking for.
4 hours ago

Jul 2017
As of now, I'm not too sure, but I'll definitely have my answer in the future once I finish checking out every anime OP of every year. I'm not in any rush to do that though since it's quite a lot of OPs to go through. But yeah, it's interesting seeing how much anime music tastes and art styles have evolved over time. 👌
4 hours ago

Apr 2020
i think 2010s was peak opening (and animes)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
4 hours ago

Aug 2019
Some japanese groups and singers (like kenshi yonezu, ado, milet, man with a mission etc.) have their on style
while some others similar to typical idol group style so I cant say the new gen ops are totally bad or good,
I also like the 2000s ops, not sure the older ones but theyre so iconic.
jantszztkr3 hours ago

3 hours ago

Oct 2021
I think it's just personal taste if you like the one or the other, but you can't deny that it has changed over the years. If I go through the OPs I like, there will be more OPs of newer shows than older ones, but there are plenty of OPs of older shows I really like, so it's really just preference.
3 hours ago

Oct 2013
Depends on the shows you watch. There's no definitive answer to this. In fact, I can give examples of openings I think are good from every decade I've seen anime from to prove my incredibly subjective point that no particular era had better ones.

Edit: These are just the songs themselves. Not with the opening visuals. Choices might be different if I did it that way.

2000's

2010's

2020's
FanofAction3 hours ago
3 hours ago
⎠⎞ >⏝⏝<⎠⎞

Apr 2015
I have bias towards Mitsuko Horie & Ichiro Mizuki so older lol. The post-2020 ones are a bit too flashy for me, but there's nice OPs from every season~

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
3 hours ago

May 2024
Hmm, depends really. I think I prefer a lot of openings from the 2010's overall, but each era has its own bangers.
3 hours ago
Aug 2008
I prefer the 80's and 90's openings over recent ones.
3 hours ago

Jun 2016
The music was definitely better before. I'm not into the nasal male vocals, female vocals so high pitched they can break glass and hip hop that are prevalent these days.
As for the visuals, all eras generally follow the same tropes and conventions so it's more of a matter of visual style preferences. Personally I tend to prefer the styles that were popular during the mid to late 80s and early to mid 90s. Fuck it I'll add an extra five years and include the late 90s as the early 90s were pretty weak when it came to music.
>but muh grunge and techno and NIN
I like them but I don't think I've ever heard an anime opening theme (or Japanese music in general) in those styles. I've heard Japanese trance though. Sagittarius by Nish is pretty good although the remix by Alphazone is better than the original.
How did we even get to this?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
2 hours ago

Jun 2024
Each decade has its own unique set of anime openings that stand out as the best, so it's hard to compare, for example, the 2000s, 2010s, and 2020s anime openings.
2 hours ago

Mar 2023
Maybe the animation have become better but the music on the other hand have turned into shit.
2 hours ago

Mar 2021
Dragevard said:

Better is extremely subjective here too.

Music has changed over the years as well as technology involved in music production. While even something like Midi (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) existed even during the early 80s, it was still in it's primitive stage of life way back then and it was extremely uncommonly used in an industry that mostly relied on analog means, at least till after the turn of the century.

Even Anime production has changed significantly over the years where it's obvious no one even uses celluloids in the animation process anymore. Even the final products we get have changed where production of Anime in HD didn't even really exist till the mid 2000s.

On top of everything else Japan hasn't always been known to be on par with what is ever trending musically to western audiences. Where it's been commonly viewed Japan has always been at least a decade behind Western pop music. Any music that is popular in Japan has simply always been seen as trying to imitate sounds trending outside of their country with at most only adding their own small original twists to already preconceived musical ideas when it comes to the actual composing.
ColourWheel1 hour ago
2 hours ago
Sep 2022

Recently? Not really.

2020-2022? I remember Kaikai Kitan, Mixed Nuts, etc.

2013, 2014-2019ish? Yes.

Before the 2010s? Not really.
1 hour ago

Oct 2016
I take 80s, 90s, and some 00s openings over the ones of today.
45 minutes ago

Mar 2019
As someone who started watching anime in 2017, my opinion is that the 2000s and 2010s have more memorable songs than 2020s. But maybe it’s too early to compare. We are comparing 20 years vs 4 years of songs.
2 minutes ago
Apr 2024
The 80s and 90s had some of the best, but nowadays there are still many good openings

More topics from this board

» What prompted you to watch it again?

nirererin - 11 minutes ago

2 by Kirika_Madeleine »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » do you care about about labor exploitation in the anime industry like overwork and low pay of animators?

deg - Jul 21

40 by e5892 »»
3 minutes ago

» Just watched Your Name for the first time, I'm feeling emotional

CinnamonTwirls - 1 hour ago

12 by IKKIsama »»
8 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1111 by mushfik002 »»
20 minutes ago

» What is the most sensational thing in anime?

SgtBateMan - 2 hours ago

4 by RainyEvenings »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.