Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 12:27 AM

Dec 2021
It's been a long and hard 13 years, but we're here. 13 years later, and Kimi ni Todoke is finally back after so long.

Right off the bat and we already have that classic OST back... AHHHH. A whole hour and ten minutes for this return is gladly appreciated. We've been well due for a date, to which we kinda got in the last episode last season, but was clearly rushed for obvious reasons. Pretty sure this was just an extended version of that little date we get last episode.

Date aside, we got the OG trio back after so long. So glad to see my girl Chizu again. Ayane as well ofc. Everything was sunshine and rainbows until this prick Miura showed up. Him aside, now that we're finally in relationship mode, we can get those sweet shoujo romcom moments we've been waiting for. Like the typical hand holding moment and such.

And the moment I've been waiting for personally, how Sawako was going to break the news to her parents, specifically her old man. And dude reacted just as I expected. Dude was freaking out lol. Pops tried to test him via how he holds his chopsticks... xD Then bro starts bragging about "his" beanie... someone needs to break the news to dude eventually lol. Kazehaya's a good dude though, so he'll listen to her dad as long as in the end he earns that respect from him. To which, he's getting there slowly. he was growing on pops near the end.

Sawako's parents aside, we finally get some of Kazehaya's family. A VAST difference from Sawako's parents clearly lol. Sawako over here just started looking through ALL of Kazehaya's belongings... and he couldn't have cared less lmaoooo. And hell yeah, we've finally gotten to a given name basis. And it wouldn't be a Kimi ni Todoke episode without some brats talking about ghosts and then Sawako appearing at the perfect time lol. Kazehaya's brother and his friends are uh... some nice kids for sure. His dad on the other hand though, I'm glad he's already accepting of Sawako thankfully.

Find it sad that Tomofumi didn't come back to make another banger, but imase cooked on this OP.

Sawako's gained the acceptance of the entire Kazehaya family already... that's my girl.

Aug 1, 1:07 AM

Feb 2019
Oh my God, I can’t believe we are fucking back after 13 very long years. But WHY DID THEY DROP ALL THE EPS AT ONCE. This was supposed to sustain me for 3 months 😭 the hour long batch releases just don’t hit the same as looking forward to watching something every week.

You’re as beautiful as the day you left.. felt like we picked up right where we left off in 2011. The art style, music, OP, etc all have that nostalgic shoujo vibe. Sawako’s silly chibi faces, Chizuru, Ayane and Sawako’s dynamic.. I missed it all so much!! They literally don’t make anime like this anymore so watching this feels like getting in a Time Machine and going back to a different era

So much happened in this first episode, but at its core it really was just Sawako and Kazehaya figuring this whole relationship thing out. The picnic date was soooo cute, whole time I had the biggest smile on my face like an idiot lol. Kazehaya trying to explain to Sawako that he feels the same way and gets just as flustered as she does was adorable. Truly the shoujo boy of all time

Meeting families already? Oh they’re OFFICIAL OFFICIAL. I loved seeing how warm and receptive both families were to Sawako and Kazehaya respectively. Sawako’s dad being so protective and caring of her is so nice. Meanwhile her mom is Kazehaya’s biggest fan and trying to get all the tea from him lol. Glad she told him how much he’s changed Sawako’s life for the better and how much more she smiles now. It’s really powerful hearing that from your girlfriend’s mother, after all everyone wants to be accepted by their gf’s family and he’s fitting in great so far

On the flip side, Kazehaya mom is just as accepting of Sawako and encouraging. The dad comes off as tough, but you can tell he’s a softie on the inside and really loves his family and is happy Kazehaya has someone like Sawako. The little brother Tota on the other hand oh my goodness that kid is a gremlin. Taking the ice cream from Sawako, calling her by first name and then saying she look like a ghost 💀 he’s gonna be fun

Ryu and Chizuru focused next episode I’m hoping? I missed them so much and that was such a cute end scene. Can’t wait to watch that a little later, these hour long eps are no pushover and I want to savour having this back as long as possible 😭
Marinate1016Aug 1, 1:55 AM
Aug 1, 1:39 AM
Oct 2019
Marinate1016 said:
I can’t believe we are fucking back oh my god, and an hour long premiere, but WHY DID THEY DROP ALL THE EPS AT ONCE. This was supposed to sustain me for 3 months 😭

All episodes are an hour long, i am stun
Aug 1, 2:26 AM
Oct 2020
Reply to Marinate1016
Oh my God, I can’t believe we are fucking back after 13 very long years. But WHY DID THEY DROP ALL THE EPS AT ONCE. This was supposed to sustain me for 3 months 😭 the hour long batch releases just don’t hit the same as looking forward to watching something every week.

You’re as beautiful as the day you left.. felt like we picked up right where we left off in 2011. The art style, music, OP, etc all have that nostalgic shoujo vibe. Sawako’s silly chibi faces, Chizuru, Ayane and Sawako’s dynamic.. I missed it all so much!! They literally don’t make anime like this anymore so watching this feels like getting in a Time Machine and going back to a different era

So much happened in this first episode, but at its core it really was just Sawako and Kazehaya figuring this whole relationship thing out. The picnic date was soooo cute, whole time I had the biggest smile on my face like an idiot lol. Kazehaya trying to explain to Sawako that he feels the same way and gets just as flustered as she does was adorable. Truly the shoujo boy of all time

Meeting families already? Oh they’re OFFICIAL OFFICIAL. I loved seeing how warm and receptive both families were to Sawako and Kazehaya respectively. Sawako’s dad being so protective and caring of her is so nice. Meanwhile her mom is Kazehaya’s biggest fan and trying to get all the tea from him lol. Glad she told him how much he’s changed Sawako’s life for the better and how much more she smiles now. It’s really powerful hearing that from your girlfriend’s mother, after all everyone wants to be accepted by their gf’s family and he’s fitting in great so far

On the flip side, Kazehaya mom is just as accepting of Sawako and encouraging. The dad comes off as tough, but you can tell he’s a softie on the inside and really loves his family and is happy Kazehaya has someone like Sawako. The little brother Tota on the other hand oh my goodness that kid is a gremlin. Taking the ice cream from Sawako, calling her by first name and then saying she look like a ghost 💀 he’s gonna be fun

Ryu and Chizuru focused next episode I’m hoping? I missed them so much and that was such a cute end scene. Can’t wait to watch that a little later, these hour long eps are no pushover and I want to savour having this back as long as possible 😭
@Marinate1016 you've set a false expectation if you believe it's gonna be weekly. This is ONA + Netflix we're talking about, it doesn't broadcast on TV, do you really think Netflix is gonna release this weekly?
Aug 1, 2:27 AM

Feb 2019
RealNath said:
@Marinate1016 you've set a false expectation if you believe it's gonna be weekly. This is ONA Netflix we're talking about, it doesn't broadcast on TV, do you really think Netflix is gonna release this weekly?

Did you even read the post or do you speak English because that’s not at all what I said. Like at all. Read again slowly
Aug 1, 3:06 AM

Oct 2007
I was prepared for a simultaneous drop. It's only natural for a Netflix original.

What I wasn't expecting was there being only 5 episodes, all of them over an hour long without commercial interruption. They couldn't have just split them into 15 half-hours like I imagine they're going to for the seemingly inevitable TV broadcast every Netflix original gets in Japan?
Aug 1, 5:25 AM

Apr 2010
So there's 5 1 hour episodes and that it? No more?
Aug 1, 5:33 AM

Apr 2008
I'm so glad we are back after so long! I'm definitely going to take my time watching these episodes.

Meanwhile me sitting here feeling old seeing them use flip phones though. 🥲
Aug 1, 6:41 AM
Aug 2022
Reply to scabab
So there's 5 1 hour episodes and that it? No more?
@scabab You do realize that it's more runtime than standard 12/13-episode anime, right?

*My calculations were based on just doing [~60min * 5ep], then comparing to [~24min * 12ep]. However, here on MAL it says about 67min, even at 60min it still comes out on top runtime-wise.
DasfoniaAug 1, 6:46 AM
Aug 1, 6:52 AM

Apr 2010
Dasfonia said:
@scabab You do realize that it's more runtime than standard 12/13-episode anime, right?

*My calculations were based on just doing [~60min * 5ep], then comparing to [~24min * 12ep]. However, here on MAL it says about 67min, even at 60min it still comes out on top runtime-wise.

Yes I did realise that 5 episodes at 60 minutes being the equivalent of 15 episodes at 20 minutes would make for a higher amount than 12 of 13 episodes yes...

That wasn't my question though.
Aug 1, 6:58 AM
Aug 2022
Reply to scabab
Dasfonia said:

Yes I did realise that 5 episodes at 60 minutes being the equivalent of 15 episodes at 20 minutes would make for a higher amount than 12 of 13 episodes yes...

That wasn't my question though.
@scabab It does answer your question though, that it's the whole season, nothing more...
Aug 1, 7:00 AM

Apr 2010
Dasfonia said:
@scabab It does answer your question though, that it's the whole season, nothing more...

I just asked if it was the whole season or if they were gonna release more I didn't need a mathematical response just a yes or no.
Aug 1, 7:52 AM
Aug 2022
Reply to scabab
Dasfonia said:

I just asked if it was the whole season or if they were gonna release more I didn't need a mathematical response just a yes or no.
@scabab it was the whole season, the math answers it… But also the fact that there has been no further announcements. They’re not just going to shadow-drop a whole other cour of episodes again.
Aug 1, 7:56 AM
Dec 2019
is this the final season? Did this season adapt the rest of the manga?
Aug 1, 9:13 AM

Apr 2024
The way there are glitters and sparkles every 3 frames 😂, shoujo to the max!

But I’m glad this is back, it makes me so unbelievably happy 😭.
Aug 1, 9:36 AM

Apr 2024
Moonshine_cookieAug 1, 2:40 PM
Aug 1, 9:37 AM

Mar 2012
Since the episodes are long I though I would watch half of it at a time but it was so good I didn't realize how fast time passed and ended up watching the full episode. So happy that my favorite romance anime is back with a new season after so many years! Sawako and Kazehaya were as wholesome as ever.
Aug 1, 9:42 AM

Nov 2016
We're so back. Don't care if it's Netflix style ONA instead of a weekly watch, the fact that we get a third season in the first place is something we should be grateful for. Too good to be true.

Enjoyed the episode tons. The fluffy vibe is simply impeccable and the chibi style so iconic. No other series does it quite like this. Oh I will savour this treat.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 1, 10:23 AM
Aug 2020
finally back

it was too long

but the same energy as before
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Aug 1, 11:08 AM

Dec 2021
I wonder why they decided to structure the season in this way. The first episode could have been broken into three separate episodes. Maybe the other episodes will play around with the story structure format a bit more. Besides that, I think the show actually looks better than it did in Season 2, which had a ton of off-model moments. The VAs were able to recapture their old performances fairly seamlessly, it definitely doesn't sound like 13 whole years have passed.
It's good to have the show back! I hope we see more continuations of beloved series that we all thought would never return.
Aug 1, 11:40 AM

Oct 2017
A much awaited third season of Kimi ni todoke and getting to binge the engire thing alltogether is great as well.
Aug 1, 1:14 PM

Feb 2017
The year is 2024 and we are watching a 3rd season of Kimi ni Todoke. Unbelievable. This timeline might not be so bad after all.

Really, it feels so good to watch these adorable innocent clumsy characters after all these years. The feeling is strengthened by the fact that the show managed to retain so much of its original DNA even after more than a decade has passed. From aesthetics and atmosphere, to actors' performances and the overall feel, you may not guess 13 year went by since the last season.

I am excited to see the rest of the season. This episode illuminated my day and made me very happy!

RisupokkeSensei said:
The VAs were able to recapture their old performances fairly seamlessly, it definitely doesn't sound like 13 whole years have passed.

It really is as the show never left in that regard. Though, I do feel like Kazehaya's voice sounds softer and gentler than before. He always did but it sounds like it went level further, but that might just be me.
Aug 1, 1:50 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Tsarko
The year is 2024 and we are watching a 3rd season of Kimi ni Todoke. Unbelievable. This timeline might not be so bad after all.

Really, it feels so good to watch these adorable innocent clumsy characters after all these years. The feeling is strengthened by the fact that the show managed to retain so much of its original DNA even after more than a decade has passed. From aesthetics and atmosphere, to actors' performances and the overall feel, you may not guess 13 year went by since the last season.

I am excited to see the rest of the season. This episode illuminated my day and made me very happy!

RisupokkeSensei said:
The VAs were able to recapture their old performances fairly seamlessly, it definitely doesn't sound like 13 whole years have passed.

It really is as the show never left in that regard. Though, I do feel like Kazehaya's voice sounds softer and gentler than before. He always did but it sounds like it went level further, but that might just be me.
I also noticed that Kazehaya's VA does sound a bit different. Possibly it's because he was pitching his voice up to perform Kazehaya even back when the first seasons aired. That's harder to repeat as the voice naturally deepens, and Namikawa is the oldest VA out of all of the mains. Still, it's not a glaring difference or anything. OTOH, Chizu and Ayane sound almost identical and that could be because both VAs were pitching down and their voices have naturally deepened closer to the range of their original performances.
Aug 1, 3:30 PM

Feb 2010
The background music got "Kutsuhimo" by Mr.Children stuck in my head (This is not a complaint).

Glad to see everyone back again. I never got a chance to read the manga so it's nice to see what this plot will end up being since the live action seemed to be doing its own thing.
Aug 1, 4:10 PM
Oct 2020
Omg 1 hour 6 episodes all at once!!! It might kill the discussions but I DON"T CARE! Just so happy to see a third season. The wait was worth it!
26:16 Lewd hand holding alert

30:33 Dad just flatlined.

35:01 who's Ikeda-san? Good fish

57:29 I see little bro has the same taste as his brother

nvm she doesn't have the big breasts for him. So little bro prefers big chests

Oh man I don't know if I can watch 5 more episodes of pure sweet sugar like this. I couldn't stop grinning this whole episode. My face might fall off at this rate.

The end credit scene with Ryu and Chizuru was wholesome as well. She's going to the same college for him not his brother!
RexnihiloAug 1, 4:14 PM
Aug 1, 6:55 PM

Apr 2022
wasn't much of a fan of the previous two seasons but this was a pretty good start, would even go so far as to call this the best episode in the entire series and the visuals look really nice as well. their dads were jokes, and despite all the sparkles in every other scene lmao production i.g cooked.
Aug 1, 8:04 PM

Jul 2022
The best Shoujo is back. Since they announced the third season, I've been eagerly waiting for its release.

The anime hasn't lost its essence in this new season after so many years. The comedic and romantic moments remain as pure and sweet as ever. Now that Sawako and Shouta are a couple, my heart melts with every moment of awkwardness or nervousness they experience. It was very beautiful to see them meeting each other's families. It also seems that something will finally develop between Ryuu and Chizuru, which is perfect.

Although I would have preferred more episodes with a normal duration instead of five 60-minute episodes, I’m thrilled to watch one of the best couples and one of the best Shoujo series again.
Aug 1, 9:51 PM
Jun 2012
I never expected I would laugh a lot in this episode as I did. Really it was a good episode from the begginning at the end, totally different to the other seasons.

This anime still feels slow sometimes but the innocence is something nice as well, knowing the perspective of two main characters is different too.
Aug 1, 11:01 PM
Sep 2008
wait? didnt her parents know about them dating back in season 2???
Aug 2, 3:09 PM

Nov 2007
wow, one hour instead of 30 mins. per ep.?

I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 2, 7:17 PM

Jan 2022
Kazehaya sounds different and his voice is so much quieter than everyone else's.

Dude I can't with these hour long episodes, my poor pea brain can't handle it. I have to watch it in smaller sections and I guess I'll come back to edit this.

I hate how slow things are going between Sawako and Kazehaya, please stop torturing me. At least Sawako was the first one to try to hold hands, but goddamn did she react poorly after his misunderstood/ accidental rejection. I did love the scenery, sunsets, and Sawako''s silly faces. The human realm comment sent me 💀😂

Sawako's dad's reaction was hilarious ngl he reacted like I expected him too, dramatic but grateful. Sawako's dad is more wholesome and less straightforward than Kazehaya's dad.

Lmaoooo Tota and all of his teammates disapproved of the fact that Sawako has no boobs in front of her. No guilt or filter. I love how Sawako gave the dad a full bio and all he had to say was eat more food lmao

I'm honestly shocked that more people aren't watching this.

🗣🗣 Baka baka baka 🗣🗣
cooldogmomAug 2, 9:42 PM
This never updates so that's cool
Aug 2, 10:15 PM

Feb 2019
OH MY GOODNESS THAT WAS SO SWEET

And I can't believe we're getting one-hour long episodes. Overall, I think that's more content than your average 12-episode anime (60 = 3 eps * 5 = 15 eps vs. 12 eps)

Loved the animation and voice acting as usual

I'm so glad we got to fully see Kazehaya going to Sawako's house and the other way around too. Glad they didn't skip anything.

Excited to see this~
Aug 3, 4:50 AM

Jan 2024
This girl way too pure
Aug 3, 3:40 PM

Jan 2021
I’m really glad they brought this back and kept the original art style. Also really like the fact that the eps are an hour long. My only gripe is that there’s only 6 episodes. I need at least 24 haha.
CalmTeaTimeAug 3, 4:53 PM
Aug 3, 11:09 PM

Apr 2020
I'm so happy they continued after S2 to give a better closure, this still remains as one of the most innocent and charming anime I've ever watched to date T-T! Also Chi and Ryu are finally moving forward with their relationship!!!! I'm just so happy to see the characters I loved interact with each other again!
“You can’t always hold on to the things that are important. By letting them go we gain something else.” – Kunio Yaobi
Aug 4, 3:48 PM

Sep 2021
Too good. After 13 years, Mamiko Noto's voices is still ASMR-able.
The animation and visuals really improved.

Peak shoujo (after Fruits Basket)
Aug 6, 7:32 AM
Jan 2017
Uzun bir aradan sonra Sawako ve Kazehaya arasındaki ilişkinin ilerlediğini izlemek güzeldi
Aug 9, 11:19 AM

May 2015
I'm honestly a bit surprised at the quality, it looks so clean, and the story itself is very cute with classic romantic highlights. Quite nostalgic too. I wasn't much of a fan of this series all those years ago, and don't remember much of the details (apart from what they mentioned in the recap), but still enjoyed this episode a lot.
Aug 16, 2:11 AM
Jan 2020
Brings back the most amazing memories <3 The kind of romance anime that never goes out of style. Wholesome and pure, Sawako and Kazehaya continuing to grow together in the most beautiful and respectful way.
Aug 23, 5:55 PM
Jul 2024
Muito bom. deu um conclusao a historia depois de anos de espera
Sep 1, 3:55 AM

Dec 2019
it's so nice to have em all back, such a comfort show of mine
Sep 5, 4:29 PM

Jan 2011
My reaction throughout this episode: "Ahh. Youth."

Lol, after almost 15 years I thought I wouldn't like this much, but who am I kidding? This is Kimi ni Todoke!
Even if it was 20 or 25 years, I can't help but love the sweet awkwardness and growth of all the characters.
This lovely anime brought back so many memories that I almost cried! And seeing how long it has been, I
thought I would have forgotten everything but it's crazy how much I remember about this anime without
rewatching! (Not like it stopped me from watching the first 2 seasons again. xD)

But I'm really curious about how awkward and difficult it must have been for the VAs! Especially for the mains!
Soooo, I went searching on youtube and found this video of their reunion! It was so funny!

YukiTsubakiSep 5, 4:36 PM
Sep 9, 3:26 PM

Aug 2019
This entire episode was cuteness overload and I had a blast with it, but I did not expect just how cute it was going to be. It was already cute in the first few minutes alone and then kept being cute for the entire episode. Sawako and Kazehaya are such a cute couple and Sawako is so funny. Take a shot for how many times I wrote "cute" in this comment.
Sep 12, 6:09 PM

Jun 2007
Absolutely unreal.
I planned to watch it but I was sort of scared that it wasn't how it used to be.

But god damn, thanks Netflix.

I feel as I felt 13 years ago.
Exactly the same, as if the 13 years never happened.

And what a riot

Instant 10/10

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke 3rd Season Episode 2 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 1

19 by Wintrius »»
Oct 14, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke 3rd Season Episode 5 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 1

47 by aurora_yuuki »»
Oct 13, 8:05 AM

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke 3rd Season Episode 3 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 1

32 by CurlyAnocas »»
Oct 6, 9:47 AM

Poll: » Kimi ni Todoke 3rd Season Episode 4 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 1

23 by jeffersondkid »»
Oct 6, 12:47 AM

» About the recap episode

GrumbleDango - Aug 1

14 by Humaneky »»
Sep 30, 5:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.