Forum Settings
Forums

Was isekai ever good or is it just people's nostalgia?

New
9 hours ago

Dec 2019
Modern day isekai is pretty much filled with the exact same thing done to death with minor changes here and there, I'm so tired of this genre that at this point when I see a long ass title with the words "cheat", "level" or anything similar forget watching the anime I don't even bother to read the full title.

But was isekai good in the past back when it wasn't mass produced? I often see people recommending older titles as good isekai but on watching them myself majority were pretty boring. I can only think of 3 titles that I actually liked: Juuni Kokuki, Fushigi Yuugi and OG Digimon and out of those Fushigi Yuugi and Digimon were the ones I watched as a kid on TV and have never attempted to re-watch them later so it might be my nostalgia speaking, not to mention as Digimon got more seasons it got more and more boring and I eventually stopped watching it.

For the record these are some of the older isekai I've watched (sorted the isekai page by newest and went to the last page):
Magic Knight Rayearth (1994) - Since it's by Clamp I had high expectations but the anime ended up putting me to sleep, the story was not not interesting in the slightest
El-Hazard (1995) - Watched it a few years back, so forgettable that at this point I don't remember anything besides the fact that I didn't enjoy it
Escaflowne (1996) - Couldn't get into the characters or story, overall pretty boring
Kyou Kara Maou (2004) - Too long, majority of the episodes are completely pointless and cringe, story progresses at the pace of a snail, also someone needs to tell Wolfram to fuck off, he's annoying.
Harukanaru Toki no Naka de (2004) - I stopped watching this halfway though because of how boring it was
Izumo: Takeki Tsurugi no Senki (2005) - So forgettable I can't remember it at all
Idaten Jump (2005) - Watched this on TV, felt incredibly childish
Zero no Tsukaima (2006) - I couldn't even get through the first season because of that bitch Louise
9 hours ago

Feb 2020
It was both hit-and-miss back then and it still is.
9 hours ago

Feb 2011
My favorite anime previous season:
Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2

My number two anime this season:
Isekai Shikkaku

Thus, I find the premise of this argument to be wrong.

9 hours ago

May 2019
-Isekai anime were fun before 2010.
9 hours ago

Dec 2019
Reply to Shizuna
My favorite anime previous season:
Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Part 2

My number two anime this season:
Isekai Shikkaku

Thus, I find the premise of this argument to be wrong.
@Shizuna This thread is specifically about older isekai the ones you've mentioned are new
9 hours ago

Dec 2019
Reply to tchitchouan
-Isekai anime were fun before 2010.
@tchitchouan Which ones were fun for you because I found older ones to be just as bad
9 hours ago

May 2019
Reply to BlueMaho
@tchitchouan Which ones were fun for you because I found older ones to be just as bad
@BlueMaho i'm sure many people don't have the same tastes in isekai as me but i really love Genmu Senki Leda, Aura Battler Dunbine, Vision of Escaflown, Devil Hunter Yohko, Capricorn, Magic Knight Rayearth, NG Knight Lamune & 40, Those Who Hunt Elves, Digimon, Strange Dawn, Monster Rancher, Valis AD.
9 hours ago

Jul 2024
No, isekai is not good. It is tropey, perverted, and often boring.
Sincerely,
slickslugger
𝓼𝓵𝓲𝓬𝓴𝓼𝓵𝓾𝓰𝓰𝓮𝓻
9 hours ago

May 2024
I've tried watching old isekai, they're way too boring, even worse than what we get these days. I would probably call it nostalgia, since it's an emotion that drives most debates in the anime community.
8 hours ago

Sep 2016
Isekai got good around 2015.  
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
8 hours ago

Sep 2018
Modern isekai is basically its own genre, look up "narou-kei". All the isekai tropes (power fantasy, wish fulfillment, escapism, harem, demon lord, guilds, etc.) come from web novelists "inspiring" one another.

Old isekai anime weren't part of their own genre, they were just fantasy anime with a twist. Comparing old fantasy anime altogether with modern isekai makes more sense; in my opinion modern fantasy anime are better than both old fantasy and modern isekai.
8 hours ago
Oct 2014
Zero no Tsukaima was funny.

Elf wo Karu Mono-tachi was also funny.

Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku were pretty good.

But Inyuasha (it's not isekai, just time travel anime but some people incorrectly label it so Im mentioning it) was complete garbage.

Digimon was also garbage.

I don't use nostalgia towards anime so I have no idea if it's a thing.
8 hours ago

Mar 2023
Old isekai was more than just simply a power wish fulfilment fantasy. Also i did never see most of the old ones as a kid so it can't be just because of "Nostalgia".
Spunkert8 hours ago
8 hours ago

Jan 2018
well i do agree that they need to get rid of level or cheat as their titles. i quit fps game because of cheaters so not sure why they think cheating is a positive thing that would attract people. there are cheats for games sure but i'm sure majority would rather beat it with skill if playing for first playthrough.

fault lies in people i guess. they know fast food will ruin everything but they consume it regardless.

digimon season 2 or the veemon story was already too childish for me. i tried to finish xros too but can't.

on topic it's not a nostalgia for me as i'm not familiar with older stuff. despite the copy paste trend that isekai is having right now, it's definitely easier to watch than hack series.

i guess zero no tsukaima is a hit or miss and for me it managed to hit the target practice even though it's not a bullseye. i'm not masochist enough to finish kyou kara maou.

bad isekai is like taking a jab at current society where everything is easy to access and therefore people do not ever know the true meaning of strife in life they just adapt the happy stuff and call it a day.
8 hours ago

Feb 2014
at least it wasn't always about some filthy loser otaku getting reincarnated in waifu-land
8 hours ago
Apr 2024
Original digimon is an isekai and it's great (the only other true digimon series to be isekai is xros wars, but it was average)
rahXhephon, even with all of its flaws is still pretty good and I consider it isekai
Both shows use the isekai element to explore character psychology and they are good
8 hours ago

Jan 2020
isekai anime are good, depending on which ones you look at of course.... I actually really cherished and loved Kyou Kara Maou whenever I saw it airing on tv.... I might watch it again in the future, this time all episodes.... I didn't even realize it's that old already. I can't remember how much exactly I've seen of it but it already quite a bit.
thing is, more isekai are coming out and have come out and a lot of them are quite good (and I've yet to watch them), so I'm definitely looking forward to see more of it.
I would argue it's one of the better genres
7 hours ago

May 2023
Isekai was good for me.. even then and even now.. I found some of the most hated or disliked isekai titles entertaining..
4 hours ago

Jul 2013
I enjoy watching it. It is better than most shonen anime, like Bleach and One Piece.
4 hours ago

Jan 2021
Isekai I've only seen Re;Zero, Overlord and a bit of Escaflowne and I've never found any particularly super interesting.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
4 hours ago
Oct 2019
Isekai has always had hits and misses. On one hand, you've got stuff like Re:Zero, No Game No Life, Konosuba, etc. On the other, you've got stuff like In Another World with my Smartphone, and all those generic "real world profession in another world" and "reincarnated as this wacky thing" isekai shows that Kadokawa releases every year to meet some dumb quota instead of giving the people what we actually want.

I'm not super familiar with pre-2010 isekai, but I imagine it's the same in that regard, where there are plenty of good ones, but they're outnumbered and overshadowed by boring, generic slop.
31 minutes ago

Jul 2013
I don't watch that much isekai. I always found it semi-cringy.
4 minutes ago

Apr 2012
Before power-fantasy isekai came in, it just wasn't really a genre or a predictor of anything, it was just a thing which happened sometimes in stories. Like Escaflowne may contain isekai, but it's not the first word you'd use to describe it, "high-fantasy" would be the starting point.

More topics from this board

» Do you see value in someone having a "different/unique" favorites list/3x3? ( 1 2 )

thewiru - Jul 26

70 by KitsuFrost »»
35 seconds ago

» Why do ppl write reviews before a show is finished ?

Thy-Veseveia - 9 hours ago

24 by KitsuFrost »»
2 minutes ago

» Are Japanese anime more popular than Western animation (in today's age)? ( 1 2 )

epexu - Apr 5

50 by ColourWheel »»
4 minutes ago

» The weight of preconceptions and expectations on anime

KenaiPhoenix - 2 hours ago

7 by perseii »»
4 minutes ago

» Best Jojo's Bizzare Adventure part and why??

ShivIz - Yesterday

18 by DarkShame2 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.