Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 30, 10:56 AM

Apr 2020
While he may not have gotten more than 2 lines this episode he still got the girl.

I’d feel bad for the Yuri fans, but they got Mizore Nozomi and Asuka Kaori so I don’t lol.
MrRantJun 30, 11:26 AM
Jun 30, 10:59 AM

Apr 2020
So it wasn’t all for naught.
Jun 30, 11:00 AM

Apr 2020
I almost thought they wouldn’t do it with how they changed from the light novel.
Jun 30, 12:39 PM

Nov 2019
Idgaf about yuri fans. I do care about how awkwardly the relationship was developed between Kumiko and Shuichi in the show.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jun 30, 12:46 PM

Oct 2018
This motherfucker is a fucking NPC, he doesn't have 2 lines in the WHOLE show and still got the girl.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jun 30, 1:16 PM
Aug 2022
MrRant said:
I almost thought they wouldn’t do it with how they changed from the light novel.

Ooooh, I mean I already just set my own head cannon that they got together but I completely forgot about the hairpin thing.

When I saw it at the end I kept thinking it looked so familiar but this was a nice confirmation.

I’m glad they officially got together then they have a good dynamic
Jun 30, 2:07 PM

Jul 2015
Yuri fans coping that two straight girls and even one of them openly in love with a dude did not ended up together. lul

Jun 30, 8:36 PM

Jul 2023
Shuichi is such a lucky bastard 😵😵😵

...morning, afternoon & evening and time is slipping away...

Jun 30, 9:59 PM
Dec 2008
In the end he was still shafted hard by Kyoani. You could say they spent almost a decade downplaying his character and relationship with Kumiko for excessive yuri pandering that obviously went nowhere.
Jun 30, 10:39 PM
Aug 2018
gnodab said:
In the end he was still shafted hard by Kyoani. You could say they spent almost a decade downplaying his character and relationship with Kumiko for excessive yuri pandering that obviously went nowhere.

bro bagged kumiko and people will still say he got shafted cause they didn't kiss on screen
Jun 30, 11:13 PM

Mar 2024
I believe that Kumiko X Reina is yuri.

Shuuichi is in the background and his relationships with Kumiko is too boring.

Yes, Reina have crush on teacher, but this is not an object of love as such, it is rather a sublime ideal, a kind of romantic image in her imagination.

But Kumiko was there all these 3 years and there was a strong passion between them that was impossible not to notice.

Even if they separated after graduation, they were together almost all the time during those three years.

So this is 100% pure yuri

Jul 1, 12:10 AM
Dec 2008
Reply to xPhellt
gnodab said:

bro bagged kumiko and people will still say he got shafted cause they didn't kiss on screen
@xPhellt nobody said anything about kissing, just keeping his appearances and character in tact. But those were set aside for mindless yuribait.

It’s about the ride not the destination.
Jul 1, 12:23 AM
Mar 2023
Reply to x_scolopendra_x
I believe that Kumiko X Reina is yuri.

Shuuichi is in the background and his relationships with Kumiko is too boring.

Yes, Reina have crush on teacher, but this is not an object of love as such, it is rather a sublime ideal, a kind of romantic image in her imagination.

But Kumiko was there all these 3 years and there was a strong passion between them that was impossible not to notice.

Even if they separated after graduation, they were together almost all the time during those three years.

So this is 100% pure yuri

@x_scolopendra_x I'm not Yuri Haters but I'm 100% sure this is only Yuri Bait. That's why I didn't too like to watch this series. I watch because i got bait. First Reina Second Asuka and Last is Kanade.
Kanade is gold girl at this series,I like her Characters. It make me smile when she appeared.
Jul 2, 2:26 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to gnodab
@gnodab what if I told you

1. The studio didn't know in S1 if they are going to be able to adapt the work fully

2. The author isn't too adept at handling male characters and relationships - studio notices this

3. While Reina can be pretty boring on her own, she's pretty good when with Kumiko - studio notices this

4. KyoAni being KyoAni will try their best to visually make KumiReina look glorious

So, they sticked to the strengths of the source at first, emphasized visually on the biggest relationship in the story, and then did some minor damage control for Shuichi as the end approached. Yuri pandering and such - I don't think that's their style, more often than not this studio just likes to do what it itself likes to see, rather than targeting a specific audience.

Edit: I mean the bold Ep 12 decision speaks volumes about their "devil may care" attitude
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jul 2, 10:36 AM
Dec 2008
Reply to Laplace_kun
@gnodab what if I told you

1. The studio didn't know in S1 if they are going to be able to adapt the work fully

2. The author isn't too adept at handling male characters and relationships - studio notices this

3. While Reina can be pretty boring on her own, she's pretty good when with Kumiko - studio notices this

4. KyoAni being KyoAni will try their best to visually make KumiReina look glorious

So, they sticked to the strengths of the source at first, emphasized visually on the biggest relationship in the story, and then did some minor damage control for Shuichi as the end approached. Yuri pandering and such - I don't think that's their style, more often than not this studio just likes to do what it itself likes to see, rather than targeting a specific audience.

Edit: I mean the bold Ep 12 decision speaks volumes about their "devil may care" attitude
@Laplace_kun Stop making excuses for Kyoani. If they found Kumiko and Shuuichi's dynamic in the novels to be lacking then what they did here is ultimately worse. As it stands his relationship with Kumiko is severely undeveloped and lacking. That's why during the confession in the Chikai movie nobody was convinced that Kumiko actually said 'yes'. It felt so forced and glaring, and they went with this decision to shaft him from start to finish.

I understand they want to focus more on Kumiko and Reina's relationship and that's fine, but this guy is vice president and her ex-boyfriend (whom she promised to get back with when club activities are done) You'd assume he would have a more prominent role in the story but nope, he sticks out like a sore thumb, mostly used as background character. Remember when Natsuki was VP? Yeah she had a lot more going on for her compared to Shuuchi. I just chuckled when Kumiko was reminiscing about her past experiences during the final performance and he didn't even appear once in the flashback, they just cannot spare a second for this guy.

And imagine saying Kyoani doesn't pander to yuri when this studio is synonymous to the term "yuri bait", and Hibike! Euphonium is their poster child.
Jul 2, 10:58 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to gnodab
@Laplace_kun Stop making excuses for Kyoani. If they found Kumiko and Shuuichi's dynamic in the novels to be lacking then what they did here is ultimately worse. As it stands his relationship with Kumiko is severely undeveloped and lacking. That's why during the confession in the Chikai movie nobody was convinced that Kumiko actually said 'yes'. It felt so forced and glaring, and they went with this decision to shaft him from start to finish.

I understand they want to focus more on Kumiko and Reina's relationship and that's fine, but this guy is vice president and her ex-boyfriend (whom she promised to get back with when club activities are done) You'd assume he would have a more prominent role in the story but nope, he sticks out like a sore thumb, mostly used as background character. Remember when Natsuki was VP? Yeah she had a lot more going on for her compared to Shuuchi. I just chuckled when Kumiko was reminiscing about her past experiences during the final performance and he didn't even appear once in the flashback, they just cannot spare a second for this guy.

And imagine saying Kyoani doesn't pander to yuri when this studio is synonymous to the term "yuri bait", and Hibike! Euphonium is their poster child.
@gnodab I don't care about mobs and nobodies giving studio a name. I rely on my own deductive skills. People here are pretty ignorant to relationships, speaks a lot about their real lives. Everything is yuribait if you have enough dementia and brainrot.

See point 2, you basically ignored the reason why the studio could'nt afford to invest on something that's not the strongest point. In fact the main goal is getting the first place, not romance.

See point 1 now, and how they realized making Shuichi too important suddenly in the later seasons would be artistic overcompensation.

Never did I not say the studio failed to give Shuichi justice, but these yuri bait allegations are just projections from a community with a barely functional intellect. Kyoani is a pretty relaxed studio which does what it likes to do, going out to tease a particular audience is the least of it's concerns.

Many would think the poster child is Dragomaid instead, going by your logic. Though dragons are not really...
Laplace_kunJul 2, 11:19 AM
Jul 2, 11:15 AM

Nov 2019
@gnodab To summarise, the relationship between Kumiko and Reina is the biggest selling point of the novel aside from the premise. Shuichi is a nice addition, but because he's neither the focus of big drama arcs nor a major "improvement" arc for himself, studio went big guns on the others while they thought they could never adapt to the finale. It is obviously a flaw, considering how even Motomu and Midori's relationship felt more fleshed out in a rushed season.

Laplace_kunJul 2, 11:20 AM
Jul 2, 12:18 PM
Dec 2008
Reply to Laplace_kun
@gnodab I don't care about mobs and nobodies giving studio a name. I rely on my own deductive skills. People here are pretty ignorant to relationships, speaks a lot about their real lives. Everything is yuribait if you have enough dementia and brainrot.

See point 2, you basically ignored the reason why the studio could'nt afford to invest on something that's not the strongest point. In fact the main goal is getting the first place, not romance.

See point 1 now, and how they realized making Shuichi too important suddenly in the later seasons would be artistic overcompensation.

Never did I not say the studio failed to give Shuichi justice, but these yuri bait allegations are just projections from a community with a barely functional intellect. Kyoani is a pretty relaxed studio which does what it likes to do, going out to tease a particular audience is the least of it's concerns.

Many would think the poster child is Dragomaid instead, going by your logic. Though dragons are not really...
@Laplace_kun Do I need to be specific and point out scenes, and the numerous official art from Kyoani as evidence for yuri baiting? Feel free to believe what you want, but people will always think this series as prime yuribaiting material and the evidence is certainly there.

Also you make it seem like it takes a lot of effort to fix Shuuichi and Kumiko’s relationship that it would take attention away from Kumiko-Reina’s development and getting national gold. When all they need to do was not her get annoyed and pissed whenever he’s around. Sure she had a reason to be angry at him in S1 for calling him ugly back in the day, but by the end of it where they bump fist and reconciled they should have buried the hatchet. Then S2 comes and she still somehow has the same negative demeanor towards him which carried on to the movies (except Chikai no Finale) and early parts of S3.
Jul 2, 12:56 PM

Nov 2019
@gnodab Nah, I probably have seen more than you. It's just KyoAni doing what they like to do for themselves. Look at Liz and Blue Bird director interview. It's almost as if they are pandering to themselves. It's like how James Cameron makes the Avatar movies just because he wants to and can do them. I repeat, KyoAni doesn't care. People of especially western demographic aren't accustomed to females touching each other either, but that will be going into another topic altogether. Visual storytelling to convey female relationships is something many people inside this studio is fascinated in experimenting with. But obviously they don't care about romance, otherwise there would have been a big yuri anime from them now and then.

Maybe a better yuribait accusation target would have been the two side characters in Chuunibyou, though I can't comment too much due to non-familiarity with it's source material.

That's just childhood friends for you? Kumiko is a lot more unreserved and shows off her grumpy and hidden side to Shuichi. It's canon. Yep, being a sink for stress relief isn't fun, but it shows how reliable she finds him. Furthermore, it's something from the source. And I repeat, the source and interviews make it clear that the author is definitely more adept in writing complex teenage platonic relationships and handling female characters than romance + male characters.

I have actually made a post here about Shuichi expressing that he's treated pretty harshly by Kumiko and Reina, and he doesn't seem to have any emotional support of his own. It's just like that - he still is just written to be the support for Kumiko while there is competition preparation. The plot is literally set up so that they break up while competition stress is there and make up after winning. S2 is all about focusing on a bunch of senpais, so the studio again couldn't handle him. Meanwhile the four main girl format was also compromised - it was a safety bubble when S1 had potential to be standalone.

It's a management error. See KyoAni's romance focussed shows (I mean you surely have), they are pretty capable if they tried. However, this anime is about music, dreams and friendships.

Kumiko being nice to Shuichi wouldn't fix much, it's part of her character trait that she doesn't feel secure to show in front of others. What was needed was some inner monologues, and the subtle stuff shown at end of S3. I mean they visually conveyed that Shuichi understood it was Kumiko behind the curtains. They also showed his frustation at her losing before.

Shuichi being sidelined is the male equivalent of female love interests in a male dominated show. These high school orchestra ensembles in Japan are very much female dominated, so that doesn't help the demographic cause either...

When they made Chikai no Finale, they knew they have to adapt this to the end, so they brought Shuichi back. But they can't go too hard on him because their own mistake would become more obvious. Can't say that was the best decision, but well, the last season being pretty rushed with the performances tells something.
Jul 2, 8:14 PM
Dec 2008
Kumiko being nice to Shuichi wouldn't fix much, it's part of her character trait that she doesn't feel secure to show in front of others. What was needed was some inner monologues, and the subtle stuff shown at end of S3. I mean they visually conveyed that Shuichi understood it was Kumiko behind the curtains. They also showed his frustation at her losing before.

It certainly would. The number 1 complaint and why said pairing is controversial because their scenes mostly involves of her being vexed by his appearance. You have a moment where Shuuichi would approach her and she would visually react in disgust to the point of contorting her body (S2 where he tries to engage conversation after drinking tap water). There's too much 'tsun' and barely any 'dere' for the pairing to be palatable and acceptable.

Compared to the novel dynamic which is night and day, where Kumiko acts like a shoujo protagonist and is extremely stricken and head over heels over him. It seems such behavior is only reserved to Reina in the anime; an over abundance at that. If they should have just stuck with the original dynamic he wouldn't stick out like sore thumb so much. Kumiko can still have her character development with Reina and pursue gold. What we got is this half-assed underdeveloped mess which is stain and a flaw of the anime. Now did it take away from Kumiko's growth as character? Of course not but there's always that lingering question about their relationship. Funny you wouldn't even realize they got back together at the end of the anime if you didn't see the movie since they never referenced such an agreement about getting back together, or the relevance of the hairpin not even once in season 3.

I dont want to argue further when be both already agree that their development was badly handled, it's just matter of you making excuses for Kyoani.
Jul 2, 9:32 PM

Jan 2020
Yuri baiting has produced the worst type of brain rot in anime fans. I get that BL and straight shippers can get annoying, but yuri fans exceed that by 2 levels and then some.
Jul 2, 9:33 PM

Jan 2020
Yuri baiting has produced the worst type of brain rot in anime fans. I get that BL and straight shippers can get annoying, but yuri fans exceed that by 2 levels and then some.
Jul 2, 10:06 PM

Nov 2019
@gnodab

I am not making excuses tor KyoAni, I am openly admitting their problems and pointing out their flaws. The main point I am trying to make is, yuribaiting is the least of their concerns. This is the same studio which did Endless Eight just because they can.

I highly doubt there is night and day difference, but obviously the main problem is whatever dere scenes she had weren't included and they went with the incomplete dynamic, sending wrong message to the viewers. Also the inner monologues and fantasies of Kumiko - skipped. Funnily enough, the infatuation of Reina with Taki sensei was made infinitely more clear.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

172 by Shikkakku »»
2 hours ago

» so.. after the end of hibike s3..

ThatFlowerGirl - 5 hours ago

7 by nirererin »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 23

328 by Shikkakku »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » I've watched Season 1 and 2 but not the movies. Realistically, can I skip them?

ddrcrono - Yesterday

22 by Nurguburu »»
Yesterday, 10:30 PM

» Is this the final seasons, and did it wrap all content from LN ?

xnub - Jul 2

13 by xnub »»
Yesterday, 10:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.