Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 8:15 AM

Nov 2011
Shiratama probably has one of the more complex personalities in this show. Just can't tell what her goal is but the behavior she displays is kinda disturbing. I wonder if her character will change or remain like this?

Looks like this episode had a ceremony event involving being chosen as a wife for the crown prince.
May 25, 12:00 PM
Feb 2024
I had a feeling Kazumi was the intruder, and instead of finding Shiratama he accidentally stumbled into Masuho’s room. The way she reacted like she had a psychotic break after seeing the dead corpse definitely triggered SOMETHING.
It’s really such a shame, I’m sure Kazumi and Shiratama would have been very happy together.
Last episode it was stated that she was adopted, right? Was it for the sole purpose of having a woman who could potentially marry the Prince?

The fact that Samomo is the one who died definitely makes Asebi seem suspicious, but the fact that she’s being suspected right off the bat makes it seem like that’s not what’s going on after all.
I figured Shiratama was the more likely suspect, but given the light this episode painted her in, and the interesting relationship between her, Kazumi, and Hamayu, I wonder if that’s actually the case. Masuho hasn’t really appeared in any of these situations, so I’m beginning to wonder if her hands are actually clean in all of this. (I hope not, I really like her)
Now that I think about it, what if the intruder wasn’t really Kazumi at all? They never said his name or showed his face.
May 25, 2:53 PM

Feb 2019
Yea, the cherry blossom palace and ladies continue to be the most interesting and enjoyable part of the show, holy this was such a good episode.

Shiratama is a weird character that I both love and hate. She brings so much personality to the story and is someone I wanna see get punched so bad just because of how much of a bitch she is. But at the same time that’s a testament to how well written she is.

Hated hearing her disrespect Sumomo like that and everyone turning on Sumomo after her death as if she would actually be working together to steal stuff 🤦🏽‍♂️ use your brains like Hamayu said. S/O to her for standing up to Shiratama when everyone else seemed too scared.

I’m not convinced that was Kazumi either.. something just doesn’t seem right and there’s no way they didn’t show the human form or death for no reason.. clearly a misdirection

Shiratama’s seiyuu is always good, but the nervous breakdown she had and the laugh was legitimately disturbing. Her obsession with marrying the prince is the only thing she living for.. really feel bad for her tbh. She’s just insane. Lot of stuff doesn’t add up with her backstory as well.

Continues to be the hidden gem of the season.
Marinate1016May 25, 3:24 PM
May 25, 5:34 PM
Mar 2015
The body count grows the lady of the North loses her lover and goes crazy The Cherry Blossom Palace is becoming the Red Wedding
May 25, 7:09 PM

Nov 2012
Well, at least she knows she's insane. Finally, they all will know.
May 26, 1:09 AM

Dec 2015
This gets a bit much to process - with the information. I hope it will slow down a bit next episode. If someone that read the novels had not mentioned about not being able to transform during night I would not have been able to correctly process this when they shouted to wait for dawn. When the gardener tried to hide and then started to fly away.

Also that guy got dealt with way tooo fast. Hopefully they will focus more on the northern princess (that seems a bit unstable mentally cause she loved that guy but the family maybe forced her to marry the prince/king) now. Not directly move to the next thing.

Didn't know about the female in the beginning the prince met with (where he claimed to the others that he was just a messenger ... they did not seem to know his face) - someone in another forum mentioned that she was from the south. (Some people really amaze me on how much they remember. Or they must do research. :D)

The older brother - being forced to go to the monastery - feels a bit like an Uesugi Kenshin lol.
May 26, 1:50 AM
Apr 2024
Shiratama's goal is to become the kin'u consort. That was deeply instilled in her through her whole childhood in the Northern house. But she has accidentally fallen in love with Kazumi,it was just a platonic first love. So her upringing and education as an imperial bride-to-be with this severe duty to the Northern House is at odds with her love and has caused her psychic breakdown.
May 26, 2:03 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Luthandorius
This gets a bit much to process - with the information. I hope it will slow down a bit next episode. If someone that read the novels had not mentioned about not being able to transform during night I would not have been able to correctly process this when they shouted to wait for dawn. When the gardener tried to hide and then started to fly away.

Also that guy got dealt with way tooo fast. Hopefully they will focus more on the northern princess (that seems a bit unstable mentally cause she loved that guy but the family maybe forced her to marry the prince/king) now. Not directly move to the next thing.

Didn't know about the female in the beginning the prince met with (where he claimed to the others that he was just a messenger ... they did not seem to know his face) - someone in another forum mentioned that she was from the south. (Some people really amaze me on how much they remember. Or they must do research. :D)

The older brother - being forced to go to the monastery - feels a bit like an Uesugi Kenshin lol.
@Luthandorius

The people in the Eastern House have never met the imperial heir, so he posed as a imperial court messenger to pay a secret visit there. Wakamiya goes under the name "Sumimaru" when he goes on missions like that or into the Ravine.
About the yatagarasu's ability to transform and Samomo's case: she was not able to transform because she was pushed from the cliff at night and fully dressed in human clothes. The court ladies of Wisteria Guard, for example, are able to transform quickly, because they wear black feather dress under their kimonos, and discard their human clothes before shifting shape. Nazukihiko, Yukia, Sumio and most yatagarasu of low birth often walk dressed only in feather dress, to be able to transform at once.
KisMaczkaMay 26, 2:15 AM
May 26, 3:33 AM

Jan 2017
I doubt that the intruder was Kazumi but if it's him, my that's so tragic. I started hating on Shiratama these past few episodes but realizing the fact that she's forced to marry someone else despite loving another man was just sad. Still the mysteries in this anime are overwhelming, it's killing me. Wakamiya meeting the other princess himself also left me dumbfounded. What is really going on?
May 26, 5:59 AM
Apr 2024
Don't worry, Shiratama's insanity is only temporary. We'll also learn about Hamayuu's secret in the next ep., and that's important.
May 26, 8:10 AM
Oct 2011
Dang she is creepy
May 26, 10:45 AM

Jun 2019
There was absolutely no good logical reason for the woman at the head of palace security to kill that already injured, restrained, and surrounded raven (presumably Kazumi) unless she wanted to silence him. Otherwise, he would have been captured, arrested, and interrogated as a valuable source of information.

Either she knew who he was and who his identity and any information revealed by him would implicate, Shiratama, and didn't want that to come to pass as she is in bed with Shiratama and the Northern House, or she suspected something else that would otherwise implicate her directly and get her into trouble somehow. Either way, it's clear that he was executed so swiftly before anyone else could properly react and object and then the blame pinned on Samomo in death who's...dead and not around to defend herself, all as part of some conspiracy.

I just don't know what her actual agenda is, but the only one who seemed to sniff it out without delay and stand up to her in the moment was Hamayu of the Southern House.
WatchTillTandavaMay 26, 10:58 AM
May 26, 11:46 AM
Apr 2024
The intruder went into Masuho's bedroom, not Shiratama's (maybe he lost his way in the dark, it will be explained later). He was presumably in conspiracy with Samomo, and Samomo was initially Fujinami's lady-in-waiting. No wonder Takimoto wanted to silence him, because she did not want to stain the name of the imperial princess.
May 26, 10:08 PM
Nov 2021
Asebi just torpedoes any and all enjoyment one might have with this show. The only thing worse than a cartoonishly naive character amidst a group of determined, goal-orientated characters, is one completely devoid of goals/motivations that you know you'll have to watch just win for no reason. How is the show made better/interesting by her ignorance/naiveté?

And they stay birds when killed as birds(makes sense. they're birds first)? The one chick definitely killed the intruder to hide some shit.
Lurik259May 26, 10:18 PM
May 27, 3:10 AM
Feb 2015
That was more violent than i thought, rip kazumi.
Shiratama officially losing her sanity. Why he goes after Masuki in the first place. hmmmm
jumbosanMay 27, 3:20 AM
May 27, 11:43 PM

May 2018
god, I just love it when an anime is actually good
can't yuck my yum

May 29, 4:43 AM
Jul 2020
Heart pounding and heart breaking episode. The situation the women in the palace are thrust into is unbearably cruel. It's painful and beautiful to see Shiratama cut up what are presumably love letters and fold them into paper cranes as a wish that her heart's desire will come true. And the way she's cutting them with the same knife she threatened to end her own life with had a big impact.
May 29, 6:48 AM
Apr 2024
Not exactly love letters. Remember that wakamiya has called Kazumi "the spy of the North" in the conversation with Yukia?
May 29, 11:02 AM

Jul 2021
Caught up with the last 4 episodes, this is riveting stuff. It deserves way more attention and discussion.

- Who is the lady with "pockmarks" that was speaking with the Prince disguised as a messenger?

It makes the most sense that it's Asebi's older sister, i.e. the first daughter of the East, but was that mentioned anywhere in this episode? I'm only assuming this because I vaguely remember Asebi being sent to the capital because the actual candidate fell ill.

They did not put a caption on the establishing shot of the place ("Eastern Palace," or something), which is strange and feels like a mistake on the studio's part. It was also confusing because when the lady showed her face, there was zero resemblance with Asebi; she looked similar to Hamayuu, which made the confusion worse.

The other option could be the lady of the South who should've been sent to the capital instead of Hamayuu (the "secret" of Hamayuu's that Shiranami mentioned?).

- Who was the intruder and what did he want?

I really don't think that was Kazumi.

A) we never saw the intruder's face or heard him speak
B) the way he got found out and killed was too stupid; this man dares to sneak into Sakura Palace, where the future empress and other noblewomen are staying and where no man is even allowed to enter, and he walks down the wrong wing of the palace? Kazumi got a good aerial view of the palace earlier and even spotted Shiranami herself
C) the guards killed him way too quickly, they absolutely knew who he was; if they knew it was a lover just trying to see Shiranami, they wouldn't have summarily executed him; they probably would've made him suffer or made an example out of him, and other houses would've tried to use this incident to have Shiranami kicked out
D) the Prince would not place his trust on a spy who would stumble into the wrong room and try to escape in exactly the way the guards have predicted; unless the Prince already knew he wasn't the brightest and let him walk into his grave

I guess it could still have been Kazumi, but not for the reasons we think. He may have been on a mission or had some other ulterior motive, which the guards (and whoever's pulling their strings) had some prior knowledge of and had reasons to kill him for.

If it wasn't Kazumi, then I expect him to be some fall guy that we haven't seen before. But I think he was actually targeting the Western princess and therefore was at the right place, from the way he ended up right in front of her nose.

He could've been there for any number of reasons. Possibly to assassinate her, but I'm somehow doubtful, from the way he immediately ran. It would be cruel irony if the assassin was hired by the North, because this incident became the thing that broke their candidate's mind.

It's even possible he was hired by the West, her own house (with or without her knowledge), to "spook" her and cause a scene, allowing the West to point fingers at other houses. They could've promised the "assassin" a safe getaway beforehand and then actually set him up to die. But this feels like such a high-risk play that's not even guaranteed to give them an edge.

But actually I'd be OK if we never find out, other than the fact that it was/wasn't Kazumi. The palace intrigue is supposed to feel paranoid and endlessly murky, and the important thing here is Shiranami may have snapped.
May 29, 12:10 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to perseii
Caught up with the last 4 episodes, this is riveting stuff. It deserves way more attention and discussion.

- Who is the lady with "pockmarks" that was speaking with the Prince disguised as a messenger?

It makes the most sense that it's Asebi's older sister, i.e. the first daughter of the East, but was that mentioned anywhere in this episode? I'm only assuming this because I vaguely remember Asebi being sent to the capital because the actual candidate fell ill.

They did not put a caption on the establishing shot of the place ("Eastern Palace," or something), which is strange and feels like a mistake on the studio's part. It was also confusing because when the lady showed her face, there was zero resemblance with Asebi; she looked similar to Hamayuu, which made the confusion worse.

The other option could be the lady of the South who should've been sent to the capital instead of Hamayuu (the "secret" of Hamayuu's that Shiranami mentioned?).

- Who was the intruder and what did he want?

I really don't think that was Kazumi.

A) we never saw the intruder's face or heard him speak
B) the way he got found out and killed was too stupid; this man dares to sneak into Sakura Palace, where the future empress and other noblewomen are staying and where no man is even allowed to enter, and he walks down the wrong wing of the palace? Kazumi got a good aerial view of the palace earlier and even spotted Shiranami herself
C) the guards killed him way too quickly, they absolutely knew who he was; if they knew it was a lover just trying to see Shiranami, they wouldn't have summarily executed him; they probably would've made him suffer or made an example out of him, and other houses would've tried to use this incident to have Shiranami kicked out
D) the Prince would not place his trust on a spy who would stumble into the wrong room and try to escape in exactly the way the guards have predicted; unless the Prince already knew he wasn't the brightest and let him walk into his grave

I guess it could still have been Kazumi, but not for the reasons we think. He may have been on a mission or had some other ulterior motive, which the guards (and whoever's pulling their strings) had some prior knowledge of and had reasons to kill him for.

If it wasn't Kazumi, then I expect him to be some fall guy that we haven't seen before. But I think he was actually targeting the Western princess and therefore was at the right place, from the way he ended up right in front of her nose.

He could've been there for any number of reasons. Possibly to assassinate her, but I'm somehow doubtful, from the way he immediately ran. It would be cruel irony if the assassin was hired by the North, because this incident became the thing that broke their candidate's mind.

It's even possible he was hired by the West, her own house (with or without her knowledge), to "spook" her and cause a scene, allowing the West to point fingers at other houses. They could've promised the "assassin" a safe getaway beforehand and then actually set him up to die. But this feels like such a high-risk play that's not even guaranteed to give them an edge.

But actually I'd be OK if we never find out, other than the fact that it was/wasn't Kazumi. The palace intrigue is supposed to feel paranoid and endlessly murky, and the important thing here is Shiranami may have snapped.
perseii said:
when the lady showed her face, there was zero resemblance with Asebi;

But there was a striking resemblance with Asebi's mother Ukigumo, shown in the flashback, when Masuho told Asebi about Ukigumo, Yuzemi (the current empress) and the Emperor at the previous Ascension ceremony.
The place, where Wakamiya went to talk with the elder daugther was named "the Eastern house residence",maybe it was not mentioned by mistake in English subtitles.
KisMaczkaJun 1, 1:09 AM
Jun 2, 1:03 AM

Sep 2011
of fucking course, head of security would be one of those "kill first, ask questions later" type. shiratama finally cracks and now everyone knows what a crazy bitch she is. funny of her mentioning kazumi during her breakdown in the end when nobody at present of the scene even remotely said his name out loud lol girl, we don't know if it really was him who got the axed since the raven intruder never got the chance to turned back into a human before his head joined the dirt. like hamayuu said, use your damn heads. hamayuu is becoming my favorite candidate more and more.
Jun 3, 3:20 PM
Apr 2024
About Atsufusa and his status:
Jun 8, 10:41 PM

Jul 2017
With Samomo's death being discovered by Wakamiya and the Yamauchi Guard, Yukiya's questioning doesn't make things easy, and even worse, is Asebi not realizing that her actions may have indefinitely led to her death in one way or another, which makes Princess Fujinami grieve all the more. And when the interrogation stats, Shiratama doesn't take it kindly and continues to torment Asebi, even when the investigations are only just starting.

In the meantime, one of Wakamiya's trusted aides, Kazumi, is being taken care of by Yukiya, and while he may be a Northern House spy who's worked for the House before, the care being part of Wakamiya's group is crucial. Much less the information that's only withheld within Wisteria Hall for the courtesans, any and all information are censored so they only hear that they need to hear.

The act of the intruder upon the Cherry Blossom Palace only makes things worse, and the connection of him to Samomo stealing goods to be sold on the black market, it feels awfully contrived given the comb in her possesion that she should not be holding to in the first place. Hamayu taking control of the entire affair, only to see Shiratama weaving origami on paper, she's clearly gone insane for the raven whom they just killed: Kazumi.

The one ship that will never sail: Kazumi and Shiratama.
Jun 30, 7:42 PM

Jun 2020
I knew it was Kazumi since he asked Yukiya to leads him to The Cherry Blossom Palace, and based on his reaction when he saw Shiratama. I got some question though; Did he the one who killed Samomo? Or is it a different person? Why did he went to Masuho-no-Susuki's bedroom instead of Shiratama? And what is the actual reason for Samomo went out from the palace before she gets killed? I might be dumb so I can't proceed anything happened here or might missed or forgot something though, but all of these got me really curious. Maybe they'll slowly reveal them after this episode?
Jul 5, 4:43 AM

Jul 2023
That girl is completely phsyco
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

Jul 11, 3:00 PM

Oct 2017
Shiratama's nuts and went complete insane after Kazumi's death which I kind of doubt though that it was really him. Though it'd make sense why he could infiltrate though given he used to be a spy. Nonetheless the palace security seems lacking.

Wakamiya went to visit the eastern palace to meet the princess. That was Asebi's older sister who had retracted due to iless but she doesn't seem ill at all. What is the real reason then? She's really pretty btw.

Wait just thought of something. Is she actually the current Kin'u's daughter? I previously thought that Asebi might be the current Kin'u's daughter with Ukigumo but if her older sister is the one then it'd would make sense why she'd retract as she'd be Wakamiya's biological sister. No wonder she said she wanted to take the secret to her grave.
Jul 11, 3:06 PM

Oct 2017
perseii said:
Who is the lady with "pockmarks" that was speaking with the Prince disguised as a messenger?

Ye it's her.
crazyanderewitch said:
I had a feeling Kazumi was the intruder, and instead of finding Shiratama he accidentally stumbled into Masuho’s room. The way she reacted like she had a psychotic break after seeing the dead corpse definitely triggered SOMETHING.
It’s really such a shame, I’m sure Kazumi and Shiratama would have been very happy together.
Last episode it was stated that she was adopted, right? Was it for the sole purpose of having a woman who could potentially marry the Prince?
No the adopted one is Hamayu from southern palace. Shirotama is from North, Yukimiya's home.

Luthandorius said:
No she's Asebi's older sister. It was previously said she retracted cause of ilness but she's not ill as shown in the episode.
MegamiRemJul 12, 12:31 AM
Jul 12, 12:45 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to crazyanderewitch

The fact that Samomo is the one who died definitely makes Asebi seem suspicious, but the fact that she’s being suspected right off the bat makes it seem like that’s not what’s going on after all.
I figured Shiratama was the more likely suspect, but given the light this episode painted her in, and the interesting relationship between her, Kazumi, and Hamayu, I wonder if that’s actually the case. Masuho hasn’t really appeared in any of these situations, so I’m beginning to wonder if her hands are actually clean in all of this. (I hope not, I really like her)
Now that I think about it, what if the intruder wasn’t really Kazumi at all? They never said his name or showed his face.
@crazyanderewitch
I had a feeling Kazumi was the intruder, and instead of finding Shiratama he accidentally stumbled into Masuho’s room.

I'm watching the series now and I have the impression the intruder wasn't Kazumi.

There's really something more sinister happening in this Palace, the chief of security actions was an obvious farce.
Jul 12, 12:50 PM
Feb 2024
PaninaManina said:
@crazyanderewitch
I had a feeling Kazumi was the intruder, and instead of finding Shiratama he accidentally stumbled into Masuho’s room.

I'm watching the series now and I have the impression the intruder wasn't Kazumi.

There's really something more sinister happening in this Palace, the chief of security actions was an obvious farce.

As someone who is up to date, while I will not spoil, I can’t wait for you to catch up :)
You’re gonna love it. The writing in this anime is spectacular
Jul 13, 8:02 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to crazyanderewitch
PaninaManina said:
@crazyanderewitch

As someone who is up to date, while I will not spoil, I can’t wait for you to catch up :)
You’re gonna love it. The writing in this anime is spectacular
@crazyanderewitch

More topics from this board

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 14 Discussion

tsubasalover - Jul 20

24 by KisMaczka »»
Jul 25, 4:55 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

52 by jiajia »»
Jul 22, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 15

27 by jiajia »»
Jul 22, 6:26 AM

» 3-week break, resume broadcasting from Aug. 17

Kast2 - Jul 20

4 by KANLen09 »»
Jul 22, 12:23 AM

» Is there gonna be a new op&ed for 2nd cour?

Hotarieka - Jul 17

2 by 18927 »»
Jul 21, 3:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.