Forum Settings
Forums

Why is there a stigma in the anime community towards people who enjoy children anime? Like YuGiOh, Pokemon, PreCure etc.

New
May 10, 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
I have noticed it in many anime fans, when you bring up anime that are children entertainment they tend to shun you and be uncomfortable discussing them, or even denounce them as anime. I feel this is a symptom of anime fans wanting to appear mature, which in itself is immature, to others. So I guess when your show has tons of gore violence, inappropriate sexual themes and degeneracy it is all cool, but when an anime is wholesome, promotes positive values like friendship and comradery, has good vibes, and teaches important life lessons it is suddenly dumb and not cool?

removed-userMay 10, 10:20 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 10, 10:16 AM

Jan 2009
they find the story basic and boring is my guess like a lot of battle shonens follows a lot of tropes and patterns
May 10, 10:20 AM

Jul 2013
I like Precure...it is one of my favorite anime...I am watching it right now, in fact.
May 10, 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to DesuMaiden
I like Precure...it is one of my favorite anime...I am watching it right now, in fact.
@DesuMaiden Very nice, we need more people who watch PreCure (or any other children anime) and openly admit it in the anime community.
May 10, 10:27 AM

Oct 2017
Some people are dumb and want everything to be taken "seriously" and try and prop up Japanese anime in general as "more adult" than Western cartoons when in reality there's shows made for all sorts of demographics made in Japan and just because something is made for younger audiences and isn't super adult doesn't automatically make it garbage. Yu-Gi-Oh is a bit of a weird one to throw in here though as the series (in Japanese) is more targeted at a teenage audience while the dub was toned down to be for kids 7 and up
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 10, 10:29 AM

Oct 2013
There's a general stigma towards adults who enjoy animation in general, so this likely stems from wanting to distance themselves from that. Probably also why so many want to separate anime from cartoons. Because cartoons are seen as childish.
May 10, 10:30 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
Some people are dumb and want everything to be taken "seriously" and try and prop up Japanese anime in general as "more adult" than Western cartoons when in reality there's shows made for all sorts of demographics made in Japan and just because something is made for younger audiences and isn't super adult doesn't automatically make it garbage. Yu-Gi-Oh is a bit of a weird one to throw in here though as the series (in Japanese) is more targeted at a teenage audience while the dub was toned down to be for kids 7 and up
@LSSJ_Gaming I wholeheartedly agree!

I agree about Yu-Gi-Oh but this is how it is perceived, and the newer shows don't help.
May 10, 10:33 AM
May 2018
The West has a stigma against adults who like animation in general since they consider it kiddy stuff. Also Yugioh(Pre-Rush) is not a children's anime in Japan, it was aimed at the same teenage audience who liked shows like Dragon Ball, One Piece & Naruto. People just think it's a show for young children due to 4Kids dubbing the series in the West & the Rush series being aimed at Children.
animegamer245May 10, 10:36 AM
May 10, 10:36 AM

Oct 2019
There isn't. at least I haven't seen it.

There is a stigma against the shows, but not their fans.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 10, 10:38 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to removed-user
@DesuMaiden Very nice, we need more people who watch PreCure (or any other children anime) and openly admit it in the anime community.
@tappioca I like cute anime girls promoting good virtue, bro...
May 10, 10:40 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to APolygons2
There isn't. at least I haven't seen it.

There is a stigma against the shows, but not their fans.
@APolygons2
I was just about to give the same answer.
その目だれの目?
May 10, 10:41 AM

Nov 2011
idk. they're fun to watch though, and it's also a great way to practice listening comprehension. I've enjoyed plenty of children's anime.
Currently I'm watching/re-watching Aikatsu Stars!, Wonderful Precure, Himitsu no Aipri, Pripara and Kiratto Prichan. Ah, and Pokemon Horizons of course

You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 10, 11:01 AM

Aug 2018
More power to those who watch kids' anime. I could and probably would never watch such shows.
May 10, 11:54 AM

Sep 2016
That stigma goes less towards the viewers but more towards the medium itself, because the vast majority of kodomo anime is very trite and repetitive.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 10, 11:56 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to Zarutaku
That stigma goes less towards the viewers but more towards the medium itself, because the vast majority of kodomo anime is very trite and repetitive.
@Zarutaku But isn't that normal? They are aimed at a children demographic with a still developing sense of taste and kids enjoy repetitive content.
May 10, 12:15 PM

Jul 2021
I think it works the same way outside the anime community... If you say you still like some princess movies or similar stuff, people might look at you weird, even tho it seems that that is changing the past few years...
May 10, 12:27 PM

Feb 2019
The simple answer is, I don't trust mangakas to handle children. Its the sad truth, theres alot of mangakas who start to sexualize elementary schoolers, middle schoolers and highschoolers, i stay away from these immature casts set shows because I know alot of mangakas are weirdos.

Im not shaming all children shows in anime, but its hard for me to give any chances, when I find somewhere down the line the children somehow get put in sexual scenes, or scenes where they talk about sex, or somehow the wind blows and now theres panties showing etc.

Simple Answer: I don't watch children plotline shows anymore because I don't trust mangakas to not sexualizee their own characs. But i won't shame someone for watching a show with a childish plotline with a children cast(As long as there isn't heavy sexualization)
May 10, 12:28 PM

Jan 2022
I think it's a fear that if the majority wants children's anime, most new anime would be of that kind.
May 10, 12:30 PM

Feb 2016
I think you could say there's a stigma in the mainstream. But, when it comes to actual anime fans- people who who know what the words shounen/shoujo mean, and watch more than just the former of those two- they generally don't actually care. People who watch anime because it's what's popular right now are going to act like stuck up children no matter what fandom they're in because they're only doing it to be popular, whether they know it or not.

Judgemental adults are really just edgy 12 year olds who never grew up and absolutely never learned to form their own tastes or opinions. They just blindly follow trends and talk down to those that don't to make themselves feel better- once again, whether they know it or not.

In other words, don't worry about it, because if you like those "childish" or "girly" anime, all it really means is that you can think for yourself and they can't. You can disregard their opinions the same way you would a young child's, since all they're really doing is trying to feel like they're big grown up adults now.
May 10, 12:50 PM

Mar 2019
I never stopped to think about it, I watched Mahoutsukai Precure and Kira Kira Precure a la Mode and I thought they were really fun. :3

May 10, 1:12 PM
Apr 2024
There's nothing wrong with admitting that you watch kids' anime. If it interests you, that's awesome. And how you appear to others shouldn't matter. We watch things based on our own interests and needs. If you want to immerse yourself in a world of childhood and friendship, that's really cool!
May 11, 5:14 PM
Apr 2022
Because most of the dubs in them contain major script rewrites, replaced music, bad voice acting, and cringe edits.
May 11, 6:22 PM

Apr 2024
I don't care. I've been watching Odekake Kozame for a while now. It's adorable.

LhundrupMay 11, 6:30 PM
May 11, 6:35 PM

Nov 2011
Reply to Zamus_Edits
The simple answer is, I don't trust mangakas to handle children. Its the sad truth, theres alot of mangakas who start to sexualize elementary schoolers, middle schoolers and highschoolers, i stay away from these immature casts set shows because I know alot of mangakas are weirdos.

Im not shaming all children shows in anime, but its hard for me to give any chances, when I find somewhere down the line the children somehow get put in sexual scenes, or scenes where they talk about sex, or somehow the wind blows and now theres panties showing etc.

Simple Answer: I don't watch children plotline shows anymore because I don't trust mangakas to not sexualizee their own characs. But i won't shame someone for watching a show with a childish plotline with a children cast(As long as there isn't heavy sexualization)
Zamus_Edits said:
when I find somewhere down the line the children somehow get put in sexual scenes, or scenes where they talk about sex, or somehow the wind blows and now theres panties showing etc.

can you give an example? I’ve seen plenty of children’s shows and never encountered this issue.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

May 13, 5:58 AM

Feb 2019
Reply to DreamingBeats
Zamus_Edits said:
when I find somewhere down the line the children somehow get put in sexual scenes, or scenes where they talk about sex, or somehow the wind blows and now theres panties showing etc.

can you give an example? I’ve seen plenty of children’s shows and never encountered this issue.
@DreamingBeats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1E1sCh-3M&list=PLoFsBvi07TuyWJ3uFeE5YIGstiKVWmvfe&index=3&ab_channel=haribohappycola

Pretty much a whole youtube playlist, all i had to search was windy panties anime lmao
May 13, 6:00 AM

Mar 2023
Because only enjoying anime with a lot of gore and blood makes you a real adult.
May 13, 9:10 PM

Nov 2020
i don’t watch dumb middle school anime. i watch real high school big boy oriented shounen.
May 14, 4:26 PM
Oct 2020
There isn't. Those are literally the biggest franchises
May 15, 10:05 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to Zamus_Edits
@DreamingBeats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1E1sCh-3M&list=PLoFsBvi07TuyWJ3uFeE5YIGstiKVWmvfe&index=3&ab_channel=haribohappycola

Pretty much a whole youtube playlist, all i had to search was windy panties anime lmao
@Zamus_Edits
you didn't actually watch the playlist, did you? some of the anime in the playlist are rated R+, and virtually none of them are rated PG-Children.

a quick look through the playlist, Nozoki Ana (#50) is R+, My Dress up darling (#51) has a seinen demographic, although it's rated pg13. Tomodachi game (#53) is rated R 17+. SUPER HXEROS (#56) is rated R+, and so on and so forth.

there's a difference between anime aimed at younger children (mostly under 10. precure, for example, is aimed at children around 6-year olds) and anime aimed at teenagers. i was talking about the former, not the latter. it's also worth noting that some teens are adults (18 and 19 year olds)
DreamingBeatsMay 15, 10:21 AM

May 15, 10:08 AM

Feb 2020
Good points by the removed-user. R.I.P.

Pretty Cure is one of my favorite anime franchises.

May 15, 10:16 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to Serafos
Good points by the removed-user. R.I.P.

Pretty Cure is one of my favorite anime franchises.

@Serafos maho pri is so underappreciated. i loved the many different transformations and attacks.
this reminds me, i still haven't read the light novel that is sitting in my drawer. will definitely start when time allows!

May 15, 10:21 AM

Feb 2020
Reply to DreamingBeats
@Serafos maho pri is so underappreciated. i loved the many different transformations and attacks.
this reminds me, i still haven't read the light novel that is sitting in my drawer. will definitely start when time allows!
@DreamingBeats It's my favorite season besides Star Twinkle and Tropical-Rouge!, which is also a very underrated season. Laura and Manatsu are so great characters. :)
May 15, 10:48 AM

Feb 2019
Reply to DreamingBeats
@Zamus_Edits
you didn't actually watch the playlist, did you? some of the anime in the playlist are rated R+, and virtually none of them are rated PG-Children.

a quick look through the playlist, Nozoki Ana (#50) is R+, My Dress up darling (#51) has a seinen demographic, although it's rated pg13. Tomodachi game (#53) is rated R 17+. SUPER HXEROS (#56) is rated R+, and so on and so forth.

there's a difference between anime aimed at younger children (mostly under 10. precure, for example, is aimed at children around 6-year olds) and anime aimed at teenagers. i was talking about the former, not the latter. it's also worth noting that some teens are adults (18 and 19 year olds)
@DreamingBeats Children Entertainment can still refer to teenagers, people that are 10 or 6 or even 17, after all teenagers are still "Children."
Now if the person who made the post would have said PG-Children then that's different, but they actually did not.

So now that I know we are talking about PG-Children, I still wouldn't watch it, what business do I as a grown man have watching a show meant for 6 year olds?
May 15, 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
I really don't think anyone gives a shit about this, I've seen plenty of praise for all the shows that were mentioned in the OP.

I've tried watching some of them as an adult and they're more simpleminded than copy/paste fantasy, but to each their own.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 15, 12:50 PM

Mar 2008
Is there? I haven't really seen it. I think it really depends on the series
May 15, 1:25 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to LostSpectre
I really don't think anyone gives a shit about this, I've seen plenty of praise for all the shows that were mentioned in the OP.

I've tried watching some of them as an adult and they're more simpleminded than copy/paste fantasy, but to each their own.
@LostSpectre I'm not even sure if I'd consider any of them "children's anime". I mean, they are, technically, but when I think "children's show", I think things targeted towards the lowest possible age demographic. The type of shows I couldn't see any older teen or adult wanting to watch unless they have a small kid or younger sibling.
May 15, 3:34 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Zamus_Edits
@DreamingBeats Children Entertainment can still refer to teenagers, people that are 10 or 6 or even 17, after all teenagers are still "Children."
Now if the person who made the post would have said PG-Children then that's different, but they actually did not.

So now that I know we are talking about PG-Children, I still wouldn't watch it, what business do I as a grown man have watching a show meant for 6 year olds?
Zamus_Edits said:

That is what the examples listed in the topic title are for.
その目だれの目?
May 15, 3:58 PM

Jul 2013
Because they suspect that adults who watch those shows are pedophiles hehehehehehe
May 16, 5:10 AM
Jun 2021
Because some people think that the media you watch are what makes you "mature". I was actually raised in one such family and, while my parents are great people who I still very much love, they kinda have this old-fashioned view that cartoons are for kids.
To expand on this, it's the kind of view Americans had, and since Americans exported most cartoons before anime made it's big break in the 2000s, that mentality took hold globally. The truth is - no, cartoons (including anime) never were solely "for kids" until the market made them turn towards kids. In the 40s and 50s most cartoons were actually made for adults and had frequent allusions to salacious jokes and dark themes. However the theatrical cartoons died out the 60s and, since they saw the kids were attracted by the drawings they turned towards making cartoons simpler and more understandable by children. This mentality prevailed for close to 40 years until anime proved that, yes, cartoons can still be just as twisted, cruel and horny as they have been previously.
@DesuMaiden that's a problem because of America too. To them age difference = pedo, despite age of consent laws saying otherwise. Europe sees it as more of a thing of maturity than anything else.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 16, 5:49 AM

Jul 2022
There's a stigma around enjoying cartoons made for kids here?

I can honestly say I've never seen that on this website, as we all recognize that we have to be pretty weird to be here in the first place.

Anyone acting that way toward you is just gatekeeping because it's the only way to maintain their perceived superiority to you, and those are people you probably don't want to deal with anyway.
May 16, 6:28 AM

Feb 2023
I think there's more stigma towards people who enjoy battle shounen than kids shows. However, these two fanbases often overlap with one another, as a lot of Pokemon fans also enjoy Naruto and Dragon Ball. The battle shounen fans are often tourists who tend to hate every other anime in existence and complain about "fanservice" all the time.
May 16, 7:36 AM

Jan 2013
Reply to FanofAction
@LostSpectre I'm not even sure if I'd consider any of them "children's anime". I mean, they are, technically, but when I think "children's show", I think things targeted towards the lowest possible age demographic. The type of shows I couldn't see any older teen or adult wanting to watch unless they have a small kid or younger sibling.
@FanofAction Precure definitely is, but the Yugi-Oh I remember would have been censored, so maybe not that one, anyway.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 16, 7:45 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I've never heard such stigma like that to be honest.

All I know is the fact that anime is cartoon and I agree.

children or adult anime, it's still cartoon, and I like cartoons :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 16, 7:56 AM

Dec 2021
I never heard of such a stigma. Besides, some of my favorite comedic moments come from anime targeted at kids.

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 16, 1:05 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to LostSpectre
@FanofAction Precure definitely is, but the Yugi-Oh I remember would have been censored, so maybe not that one, anyway.
@LostSpectre Ah yes...censored yu-gi-oh. Back when censorship was hilarious. Good times.
May 16, 1:10 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to FanofAction
@LostSpectre Ah yes...censored yu-gi-oh. Back when censorship was hilarious. Good times.
@FanofAction Because who needs guns when you have an index finger? 🫵

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 16, 1:14 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to Daviljoe193

@Daviljoe193 I can't tell which is better between those finger guns and that mobster NPC dialogue.
May 16, 1:30 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to alexw1020
There's a stigma around enjoying cartoons made for kids here?

I can honestly say I've never seen that on this website, as we all recognize that we have to be pretty weird to be here in the first place.

Anyone acting that way toward you is just gatekeeping because it's the only way to maintain their perceived superiority to you, and those are people you probably don't want to deal with anyway.
@alexw1020 you raise a very valid point about "gatekeeping"...i dont want to be a gatekeeper tbh...
May 16, 1:39 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Daviljoe193

@Daviljoe193 Hey, those fingers could poke out an eye if given enough time to do so.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime powers you wish you had

ST63LTH - Yesterday

20 by Haneken2086 »»
15 minutes ago

» Why Don't You Watch More Spooky Anime?

LenRea - 10 hours ago

23 by LenRea »»
16 minutes ago

» Anime songs that give you goosebumps.

TsutanaiFuun - 12 hours ago

31 by Fancyjasper »»
25 minutes ago

» What anime challenge traditional notions of morality and ethics, and what philosophical questions does it raise about the nature of good and evil?

LowIqSalty - 5 hours ago

25 by Catalano »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » Choose one and give your reason for doing so. [NO SPOILERS]

TsutanaiFuun - 11 hours ago

7 by Haneken2086 »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.