Forum Settings
Forums

Why is shipping male characters together in shonen bad?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 7, 11:34 AM

Aug 2017
As fudanshi, I love shipping two guys even if they make no sense. I can't blame people who don't like it since they are not into guyxguy just like I'm not into girlxgirl. I also like straight ships.

I don't like shipping two girls together since I'm not into girlxgirl ship especially in shows with female cast which I like but I never ship them like Madoka Magica.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 7, 11:37 AM

Apr 2023
It's not bad, ppl can headcanon whatever they like. Its the same fundamental issue as having opinions. What's bad is enforcing them on others, and failing to accept others have different opinions. In this case, the shippers have to remember fanon is not equal to canon.

Us Kagurabachi fans used to promote the fujoshi's artworks, after all, anything that keeps KaguraPeakchi alive is good in our books.

But seriously, even though I may not support or agree with them, I don't hate them, or think its bad that yaoi/yuri shippers exist.
ZWS-BalanceApr 7, 11:40 AM
Apr 7, 1:34 PM

Aug 2020
Not shipping two men is homophobic and they should be arrested for hate speech by the police.

Apr 7, 2:17 PM

Feb 2018
Damn, people really care about what position others put the jpeg guys in, huh?
Anyhow, I think hating on real people, whether as part of a group or otherwise, is worse than a doll play of pretty anime boys going at it to be honest. Block the tags that offend you and move on, that's what I do and I have a swell time in fandoms. The drama from shipping rarely reaches my feed. It's easy to just look at pretty art, talk about theories regarding the story, and move on.

"It doesn't make sense in the story."
"It's gross."
"Why can't they just be friends?"
And? It's entertainment, dude. You shouldn't take the values that anime puts out and reflect it as a one-to-one to real life in the first place, much less when fandom shipping is involved. As I've grown older, I realized I give less and less of a shit what people do for their entertainment value. Genuinely, does the actual anime production change because shippers are a thing in fandom? Do you think the entire concept of male friendship or platonic relationships are now obsolete because fujo#7360 ships Naruto and Sasuke together? Who cares?!
Apr 7, 2:43 PM

Oct 2016
It's not because of homophobia, it's not because of prejudice, it just wouldn't sell as well as a normal shounem, everything in this world revolves around money, the moment this type of anime makes money there will be some out there.
Apr 7, 2:46 PM

Oct 2010
Reply to Mishiia
@jal90 there's people that want male and female characters can be just friend. While they ship male x male that portrayed really as friend or straight (example is denji chain saw man).
And yeah, they like their fanons world more than canon.
@Mishiia Of course, fanon is made to explore what the canon doesn't, it's natural that those who indulge in it like it more, because they also cater more directly and personally to their interests. Doesn't mean that they don't like the canon, they just may be more interested in exploring other ideas that the original story doesn't.
Apr 8, 2:19 AM
Apr 2022
Reply to jal90
@Mishiia Of course, fanon is made to explore what the canon doesn't, it's natural that those who indulge in it like it more, because they also cater more directly and personally to their interests. Doesn't mean that they don't like the canon, they just may be more interested in exploring other ideas that the original story doesn't.
@jal90 if that the case, that's will be okay. But some people fandom in the internet that I meet kind of force their fanon. Sometimes I heard about they threatening the author to make their fanon ship canon. That's to much.
Apr 8, 9:15 AM

Dec 2014
Sanjay63773 said:
Only thing you'll probably see is fans creating fanworks and fanfiction about their favourite gay ships. No one is demanding those gay ships to be made canon.

The author of My Hero Academia has been getting massive heat and lot's of death threats from Western fans, for years, for not making Deku and Bakugo canon. Is not all that innocent and respectful. The Fujos are some of the most toxic and menhera peoples of the anime community.
Apr 8, 9:38 AM

Sep 2021
I sometimes ship boys in Shonen and I believe some are defenetly written in a way that aims to be "open to interpretation".

The reason this topic is even controversial is, in my opinion, both the fault of self-inserting homophobes and crazed Fujos who take the creepiest ships and only want to see them go at it. Most Shonens I've seen don't even give the romance enough attention to ever be canon for either gender. (This sounds negative, but for me it's actually the way to go in most cases)

Funny story: Coming with experience from only western media and Fairy Tail, I was 100% convinced Kirishima X Bakugou from My Hero Academia was an implied couple like Erza X Jellal or Gray X Juvia.
Apr 8, 10:00 AM

Apr 2024
It's simple really, fujos ruin fanbases, they always have.
Apr 8, 11:20 AM

Mar 2012
From some of the replies here looks like the anime community has changed the definition of homophobia and the new definition is not liking or shipping two straight characters. I'm sure these same people would lose their minds if someone were to make straight ships of their beloved gay characters. Hypocrites!
Apr 8, 11:35 AM

Mar 2024
It isn't inherently bad to ship two non-canon characters together, but I'm assuming most people wouldn't want to hear a vocal minority blather on about sh*t they've concocted in their heads.
Apr 8, 11:46 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Piromysl
You'll realize once you see how many Twitterians unironically think, that Naruto and Sasuke canonically have feelings for eachother just because they accidentally kissed in early episodes.
@Piromysl

to be fair the author originally wanted sasuke and naruto to end up together but was stopped by editors.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» do you feel as a part of anime community? ( 1 2 )

Cammell - Aug 13

79 by Sai_Fuyu »»
14 minutes ago

» Any men who like Yaoi?

Mattenan - Aug 30

28 by Multilynx »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » About AMV

RudeRedis - Yesterday

7 by LenRea »»
19 minutes ago

» People who have already taken an anime break , why?

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

45 by LenRea »»
25 minutes ago

» How do you, personally, determine an anime's rating? ( 1 2 )

nsav - Aug 18

55 by Sai_Fuyu »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.