Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

I miss the storywriting of the first season. Where the world feels alive and moving behind the scene

New
Dec 1, 2023 7:55 PM
Oct 2017
In the first season the world feels alive everything is moving outside of the screen and Naofumi party struggling to keep up with everything that happening at once. There's scheming, betrayal and intrigue happening behind the scene. When shits happen and can't get anymore worse, it did.

For example, in the first season an arc went like this (feel free to skip ahead) :
- Naofumi party wasn't allowed to Class up at the church.
- They decide to go to other country.
- Not even far from the capital they met Melty who then almost got assassinate by her own body guard.
- Naofumi save her only to fall into their plot.
- Naofumi now accused of kidnaping her. They become outlaw.
- They can't pass the border, so they decide to take her to her mother.
- Malty found them and chase the party alongside the other heros and an army. Malty burn the forest. But the party manage to escape.
- Suprise suprise Naofumi was blamed for the forest burning.
- They hide in a friendly noble mansion, other noble interfere and take melty away.
- The bad noble turn out to be the one who enslave and torture Raphtalia.
- the bad noble release an OP ancient dragon.
- they met Fitoria an ancient Filorial queen, she defeat the dragon
- Naofumi party decide to cross the border anyway after running out of options
- Spear hero then attack the party. Saying that Naofumi murder the other heros. confused Naofumi fight the spear hero party anyway.
- A long fight happens. But it went quite all of the sudden. The army that surround the hero fight mysteriously gone.
- Filo panicked, everyone confused. Naofumi then start to enclosed everyone including Malty and spear hero inside his defense magic. Something incoming.
- God beam from heaven strike the whole place down to smithereens
- The pope reveal himself and all the plot that cause this whole mess and the fight begin
- Running out of option Naofumi used the cursed skill. Which surprisingly slash Naofumi whole body and drain his blood. Pope laugh at the irony, but not long after the real stage of that ultimate attack crushed him to pieces
- The queen arrive and then bring everyone to the capital
- The most satisfying scene in history of anime is happening

I'm not good at writing sypnosis but the point is there's a lot of conflicts and resolution happend at the same time. The world is moving and alive. It's like everyone has their own goal not just the protagonist and antagonists but the NPC as well. It makes the whole season feels intense and worth looking forward to.

Meanwhile in current season when they fight that dragon. The world is static while the fight is going on nothing is happening behind the scene. The plot is just went from point A to point B in a straight line. If you know what I mean.
In season 2 aswell. I really wish there's more involvement from that Chinese like nation while fighting the giant turtle. The glass's world as well. I wish there are internal conflicts, betrayal, intrigue, and mystery that happen in the story.
Dec 1, 2023 8:28 PM
Nov 2018
@Flanery To be honest they could of ended Shield Hero with season one and I would of alright with it. Felt like a completed story to me. Going from hated to hero at the end.
Dec 1, 2023 9:08 PM
May 2021
Moppit said:
@Flanery To be honest they could of ended Shield Hero with season one and I would of alright with it. Felt like a completed story to me. Going from hated to hero at the end.

fax 100% agree, 1st season told a complete story
Dec 1, 2023 9:10 PM
Apr 2022
you're right 😭😭 as much as I hate to say it I'm disappointed in this season
Dec 1, 2023 9:51 PM
Sep 2021
do people have any Actual critcism rather than " this is different from what i like so it's bad!!! "

i swear to god it's like Vinland Saga S2 all over again
Dec 1, 2023 9:59 PM
May 2020
Did it feel like stuff was happening off screen in season 1? The heroes were all doing their own stuff during that season, so I kind of see what you mean, but that changing doesn’t make the world feel less alive. Since the spear and sword heroes are with Naofumi now, some of that off screen stuff is now on screen, but there’s still characters moving outside of Naofumi’s camp.

The arcs of the other heroes and the country’s politics have progressed in such a way that their goals are more in line with Naofumi’s, but that’s just natural progression. The heroes need to build a unified front to deal with whatever big boss they need to fight next, this was obviously how the story would move. It would be cool to see more of the surrounding nations’ politics though.

I’m sure the bow hero and the other world are up to something while the dragon arc is happening. Again, I don’t think the world ever felt alive, but your argument here isn’t compelling.
onespankmanDec 1, 2023 10:07 PM
Dec 1, 2023 10:32 PM

Feb 2018
The plot of season 1 could've been a whole multi-season series all on its own, ever since they ended that it indeed seems like this series been struggling to get proper foothold.
Dec 1, 2023 11:02 PM
Feb 2021
Flanery said:
In the first season the world feels alive everything is moving outside of the screen and Naofumi party struggling to keep up with everything that happening at once. There's scheming, betrayal and intrigue happening behind the scene. When shits happen and can't get anymore worse, it did.

For example, in the first season an arc went like this (feel free to skip ahead) :
- Not even far from the capital they met Melty who then almost got assassinate by her own body guard.
- Malty found them and chase the party alongside the other heros and an army. Malty burn the forest. But the party manage to escape.
- They hide in a friendly noble mansion, other noble interfere and take melty away.
- Spear hero then attack the party. Saying that Naofumi murder the other heros. confused Naofumi fight the spear hero party anyway.
- A long fight happens. But it went quite all of the sudden. The army that surround the hero fight mysteriously gone.
- Filo panicked, everyone confused. Naofumi then start to enclosed everyone including Malty and spear hero inside his defense magic. Something incoming.
- The pope reveal himself and all the plot that cause this whole mess and the fight begin
- Running out of option Naofumi used the cursed skill. Which surprisingly slash Naofumi whole body and drain his blood. Pope laugh at the irony, but not long after the real stage of that ultimate attack crushed him to pieces

I'm not good at writing sypnosis but the point is there's a lot of conflicts and resolution happend at the same time. The world is moving and alive. It's like everyone has their own goal not just the protagonist and antagonists but the NPC as well. It makes the whole season feels intense and worth looking forward to.

Meanwhile in current season when they fight that dragon. The world is static while the fight is going on nothing is happening behind the scene. The plot is just went from point A to point B in a straight line. If you know what I mean.
In season 2 aswell. I really wish there's more involvement from that Chinese like nation while fighting the giant turtle. The glass's world as well. I wish there are internal conflicts, betrayal, intrigue, and mystery that happen in the story.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what your saying but things are happening granted a-lot of them are easy to miss because of how fast the pacing is and they are breezed over but take the 2 bandits who attacked Naofumi being from another world that wants to kill the hero’s for special powers and the 3 Hero’s causing trouble for example things are happening but they really can’t be doing anything but deal with the demon dragon at this point
Dec 2, 2023 12:29 AM

Feb 2015
I think the problem with shield hero ATM is lack of story focus. What is the overall goal?
Dec 2, 2023 12:37 AM
Oct 2017
Reply to Saimatsu_Fan
do people have any Actual critcism rather than " this is different from what i like so it's bad!!! "

@Saimatsu_Fan I see you didn't get my point.

The problem is not the that the story is different. But the fall in quality of the story telling as if the author who write S1 and S2/S3 are a different people. It's not about nostalgia at all.

Viland saga S2 is good. People just hate that the focus of the story changed. Personally it doesn't bother me. The quality of story telling is consistent.
Dec 2, 2023 12:53 AM
Mar 2022
Feels like each season’s storyline was written by completely different people. S2 didn’t make much sense, S3 is…a reconciliation with the fallen trashy heroes? I think they could have definitely done a lot better with the storyline this season unlike 2-3 episodes focused on a dragon.
Maybe it can be seen as more world building and character introduction for future seasons, if any. The CGIs are an eyesore though.
Dec 2, 2023 2:22 AM
Oct 2022
Yeah definitely
After s1 everything seems more stretched and not so connected.
Dec 2, 2023 2:27 AM
Apr 2022
your criticism sound very stupid TBH S3 have been decent especially latest EP so what your point?
Dec 2, 2023 2:30 AM
Apr 2022
Flanery said:

Not gonna lie, the 3rd season seems interesting as episodes go by, don't know about you guys but I'm enjoying it way more then season 2
Dec 2, 2023 5:41 AM
May 2022
Just here to say I was pretty confused until I actually looked at the title. MAL app doing it's thing again
Dec 2, 2023 5:56 AM

May 2020
I'm happy we got more shield hero but it should have just ended with season 1

Dec 2, 2023 6:46 AM
Nov 2023
Saimatsu_Fan said:

agreed 💯💯🗣️
Dec 2, 2023 8:33 AM

Jan 2021
If 2nd and 3rd seasons had 25 episodes instead of 13 I think they'd be better off. It's clear they wanted to tell to much with as little time as possible, which screwed up the pacing tremendously. The characters feel less alive when they're speed-running the story.
Dec 2, 2023 2:55 PM
Apr 2022
PurpleMagic said:
If 2nd and 3rd seasons had 25 episodes instead of 13 I think they'd be better off. It's clear they wanted to tell to much with as little time as possible, which screwed up the pacing tremendously. The characters feel less alive when they're speed-running the story.

Agree, it feels like they are just collecting a bunch of random party members together with no real purpose in mind.
Dec 2, 2023 4:41 PM
Jun 2021
@Flanery you are right and I think everyone would have been happy with just season 1. But for some reason Isekai go on forever when they don’t need to. If they had short stories I think we would all like them more
Dec 2, 2023 7:29 PM

Feb 2014
I liked season 2, it isn't as good as season 1, but whatever. The thing is, season 3 is atrocious, I mean Sadeena is a cool character and all, but all the rest is so over the place, Atla has been growing on me too, but I read on the wiki that the story only goes downhill, I didn't expect it would have been so soon.
Dec 2, 2023 7:33 PM

Feb 2014
Reply to Pendragon572
Flanery said:

Not gonna lie, the 3rd season seems interesting as episodes go by, don't know about you guys but I'm enjoying it way more then season 2
@Pendragon572 I am not a big fan of what is happening after Sadeena's arc, an anime that wasn't yet another isekai cliché is using a lot of isekai tropes and, hence, becoming an isekai cliché. Season 2 had good ideas, but they were poorly executed thanks to its bad writing, I would take season 2 over watching the same thing every isekai does again.
Dec 2, 2023 8:58 PM
Apr 2022
curvedtree said:
@Pendragon572 I am not a big fan of what is happening after Sadeena's arc, an anime that wasn't yet another isekai cliché is using a lot of isekai tropes and, hence, becoming an isekai cliché. Season 2 had good ideas, but they were poorly executed thanks to its bad writing, I would take season 2 over watching the same thing every isekai does again.

You do know that I'm talking about season 3 not 2.and of course it'll act like an isakai coz it is, I mean what else you'd call an anime in which not only the Mc the other three hero's are also transported into this world not to mention the hero's from the other world.

And one thing to look forward to in season 3 is that, we might see what cool skills the other hero's cursed weapons have, like we with with cursed shield. Coz I thought the iron maiden was pretty cool.
Pendragon572Dec 2, 2023 9:01 PM
Dec 3, 2023 4:55 PM

Aug 2012
Both season 2 and season 3 are extremely rushed to the point of being utterly bad, the animation has improved tremendously in season 3 but reading that this is an issue with the original work, not the anime just being a bad adaptation, kind of sucks.

Season 2 should been double the runtime lengths with season 3 be three if not four times the length.

Shield Hero has tremendous potential as a concept and season 1 was brimming with it, but the author just ended up using all his ideas at the same time and then literally ended up with nothing.

He has no sense of pacing or skill of world building whatsoever, its typical of stories that are written and not planned in any way shape or form.

Most LN writers in Japan are not trained or educated to write stories so its not all that surprising.

Its clear to me the author of Shield Hero did not know how to end it, he also had no idea how the main characters get from A to B, he just wants to introduce a story arc and then just show the cool stuff, then just proceed to the next idea.

Honestly I am dumbfounded that this anime, manga and the LN even has rating above 5.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
- Plato
Dec 3, 2023 8:01 PM

Dec 2019
This recent ep is where I drew the line and it appears others did too. Naofumi's squad is so oversaturated and there are far more important events that we'd rather see. Hate to say this, but this direction is barely any different from trashy stereotypical isekai, no wonder the production-quality is so poor when the writing isn't any better.

I was so invested in S1 that I continued with the LN, up until those stupid toddlers & dragons were introduced. It's painful how badly the writer and studio are actively killing this anime given how incredibly fun S1 was :(

More topics from this board

» If this anime ended at Season 1 it would have been a satisfying ending

Remocracy - Dec 15, 2023

28 by Zedlin »»
May 16, 9:47 AM

» Okay I know she came back but Bitch is just not a good character or villian!

MasterHavik - Oct 27, 2023

28 by Gator »»
Apr 28, 5:04 AM

» About bad story

yesvirgi - Dec 26, 2023

21 by Gator »»
Apr 28, 5:02 AM

» Too Many Characters

Stink_Bug - Dec 23, 2023

10 by Gator »»
Apr 28, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 3 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2023

155 by Gator »»
Apr 28, 4:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.