Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 26, 2023 10:39 AM

Dec 2020
With this season already getting such a high rating, there's bound to be a little bit of questionable energy out there, like why is this rated higher than my favorite show, it's BL, ect. But for anyone looking into this series curious because of its high rating, I think it's important to highlight why people love this story so much. It's a story from the novel by the same author who wrote the incredible Mo Dao Zu Shi, also a fantastic donghua, Mo Xiang Tong Xiu, who has such a fantastic way of building a world and weaving characters into the existence of it. The way this story is told, its foundations, the motivations of its characters is why Tian Guan Ci Fu has become so beloved.

First off, anyone weary of the BL aspect of it, get over it. Yes, there's a ton of questionable BL that has been created, and anyone weary of stories where two male characters might really get along, grow up. It's not for you and you'll miss out on incredible storytelling, your loss. If you can make it past the fact it has BL elements and buy into it as just a really great story, you'll be rewarded with a wildly creative world to dive into. With all danmei has to face in its creation, promotion, and general existence with all the political aspects, the fact that this story can exist and is being so well re-created from its source material has to be celebrated.

So anyone checking out this series because of its high rating, don't look up spoilers, do start reading the Heaven Official's Blessing novels, and go and check out the first season. This is a series that deserves love, support, and celebration.
lordgaaraNov 21, 2023 9:22 PM
Oct 26, 2023 11:02 AM
Dec 2022
lordgaara said:
With this season already getting such a high rating, there's bound to be a little bit of questionable energy out there, like why is this rated higher than my favorite show, it's BL, ect. But for anyone looking into this series curious because of it's high rating, I think it's important to highlight why people love this story so much. It's a story from the novel by the same author who wrote the incredible Mo Dao Zu Shi, also a fantastic donghua, Mo Xiang Tong Xiu, who has such a fantastic way of building a world and weaving characters into the existence of it. The way this story is told, its foundations, the motivations of its characters is why Tian Guan Ci Fu has become so beloved.

First off, anyone weary of the BL aspect of it, get over it. Yes, there's a ton of questionable BL that has been created, and anyone weary of stories where two male characters might really get along, grow up. It's not for you and you'll miss out on incredible storytelling, your loss. If you can make it past the fact it is a BL story and buy into it as just a really great story, you'll be rewarded with a wildly creative world to dive into. With all danmei has to face in its creation, promotion, and general existence with all the political aspects, the fact that this story can exist and is being so well re-created from its source material has to be celebrated.

So anyone checking out this series because of its high rating, don't look up spoilers, or start reading the Heaven Official's Blessing novels, and go and check out the first season. This is a series that deserves love, support, and celebration.

Thank you for this.
Oct 27, 2023 1:37 AM
Nov 2021
lordgaara said:
With this season already getting such a high rating, there's bound to be a little bit of questionable energy out there, like why is this rated higher than my favorite show, it's BL, ect. But for anyone looking into this series curious because of its high rating, I think it's important to highlight why people love this story so much. It's a story from the novel by the same author who wrote the incredible Mo Dao Zu Shi, also a fantastic donghua, Mo Xiang Tong Xiu, who has such a fantastic way of building a world and weaving characters into the existence of it. The way this story is told, its foundations, the motivations of its characters is why Tian Guan Ci Fu has become so beloved.

First off, anyone weary of the BL aspect of it, get over it. Yes, there's a ton of questionable BL that has been created, and anyone weary of stories where two male characters might really get along, grow up. It's not for you and you'll miss out on incredible storytelling, your loss. If you can make it past the fact it is a BL story and buy into it as just a really great story, you'll be rewarded with a wildly creative world to dive into. With all danmei has to face in its creation, promotion, and general existence with all the political aspects, the fact that this story can exist and is being so well re-created from its source material has to be celebrated.

So anyone checking out this series because of its high rating, don't look up spoilers, do start reading the Heaven Official's Blessing novels, and go and check out the first season. This is a series that deserves love, support, and celebration.

I can definitely agree, but to be fair there isn’t much of a bl aspect in the show itself. The novel does contain quite a bit more. But due to Chinese censorship, most of the bl aspects from the novels don’t make it into the show so people who don’t enjoy bl can definitely still enjoy this show!
Oct 28, 2023 7:27 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to _Katthekat
lordgaara said:

I can definitely agree, but to be fair there isn’t much of a bl aspect in the show itself. The novel does contain quite a bit more. But due to Chinese censorship, most of the bl aspects from the novels don’t make it into the show so people who don’t enjoy bl can definitely still enjoy this show!
@_Katthekat I was going to reply to say something like this. I mean it's certainly subtly hinted at throughout, mostly through glances etc. But unless someone is actively looking for BL then it's pretty much invisible, and you would not notice it. Kinda like a 'if you know you know' deal.

Case in point: My vaguely homophobic mother watched this, and the untamed, and really enjoyed it, and did not notice a hint of 'le gays' anywhere. I actually laughed inside so hard about that...

Oct 28, 2023 4:33 PM

Nov 2016
*sees BL*

Oh HELL TO THE NAW NAW NAW
Oct 28, 2023 4:40 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to SurgeonOfDeath7
*sees BL*

@SurgeonOfDeath7 cool 👋
Oct 28, 2023 4:44 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to lordgaara
@lordgaara Oiiii, don't just 'cool' me buddy.
Oct 28, 2023 4:45 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to SurgeonOfDeath7
@lordgaara Oiiii, don't just 'cool' me buddy.
@SurgeonOfDeath7 already did
Oct 28, 2023 4:48 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to lordgaara
@SurgeonOfDeath7 already did
@lordgaara Boooo ಠ_ಥ
Oct 28, 2023 4:50 PM

Dec 2020
ayy at least commend ya for not going homophobia/transphobia like in the other thread that was wild
Oct 29, 2023 6:43 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to SurgeonOfDeath7
*sees BL*

@SurgeonOfDeath7 The original novel is BL, the donghua does not contain any actual BL. It is censored because of the strict rules China has.

So, even if you hate BL, you can still watch this and enjoy it.

(As I mentioned above, my mother who has zero interest in seeing 'all the gays' on TV watched season 01 and enjoyed it, so... it's literally not there unless you put on your rose colored glasses)

Oct 29, 2023 2:02 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to lordgaara
ayy at least commend ya for not going homophobia/transphobia like in the other thread that was wild
@lordgaara Hun, there's another thread where shit went wild? Link + popcorns pls?
Oct 29, 2023 2:05 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to quercifolia
@SurgeonOfDeath7 The original novel is BL, the donghua does not contain any actual BL. It is censored because of the strict rules China has.

So, even if you hate BL, you can still watch this and enjoy it.

(As I mentioned above, my mother who has zero interest in seeing 'all the gays' on TV watched season 01 and enjoyed it, so... it's literally not there unless you put on your rose colored glasses)
@quercifolia Interesting, I was intrigued by the show when I saw it rising in the top anime list, but the BL part definitely held me back. I'll take your word that 'said' aspect is non or barely existent cause trust me, I do love me some great stories!
Oct 29, 2023 3:31 PM

Jul 2019
Why you gotta be so condescending? Maybe you're the one who should grow up. I don't care about the MAL score and if I dislike the series, which I already am, then it's not a good anime in my eyes.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Oct 29, 2023 3:50 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to SurgeonOfDeath7
@quercifolia Interesting, I was intrigued by the show when I saw it rising in the top anime list, but the BL part definitely held me back. I'll take your word that 'said' aspect is non or barely existent cause trust me, I do love me some great stories!
@SurgeonOfDeath7

At worst, you spend 15 minutes on an episode and decide its not your cup of tea. But it really is more like a friendship for this adaption.

I think that's part of why MXTX's stories are so popular (that's the novel author), another of her works was adapted in a similar way, and that was even MORE popular - - Mo dao zu shi (aka the untamed)

Because whilst the romance aspect is beloved (at least for me lol) the story doesn't *rely* on it to function, like many series do

Oh yeah and I saw you asked about the drama, well on another thread someone said straight guys watching this show are nuts and any guy should 'chop off his d' and become a woman. Plus some slurs, lovely fellow anyway

Oct 29, 2023 4:29 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to SurgeonOfDeath7
@SurgeonOfDeath7 i'll be real, anyone holding back a series because there might be hints of gay elements should probably avoid anime in general
Nov 3, 2023 8:22 AM
Aug 2020
MAL top airing is lacking something
Nov 3, 2023 8:37 AM

Dec 2020
all top four top airing shows right now are going hard, living in the time of PEAK
Nov 5, 2023 7:22 AM
Sep 2020
I agree with all of this. I would add an extra note though. I've read some comments about supposed fillers, the episodic vibe of the show and how the pace is slow. Those who know the story already know everything has its purpose and its meaning, which will be revealed sooner or/and later. Nothing is by chance or just because and this is indeed the author's "fantastic way of building a world and weaving characters into the existence of it." We've seen it in MDZS and we're seeing it again in TGCF.

It's BL, so what? What's wrong in stories about 2 ppl who love each other? Why do ppl need to trash talk a story about love? Why arent stories about war trashed talked too? Why isnt the war side of some stories as controversial? Should we praise war and censor love? Does love disturb ppl more than war does? Food for thought...
Nov 5, 2023 10:55 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to LordSozin
Why you gotta be so condescending? Maybe you're the one who should grow up. I don't care about the MAL score and if I dislike the series, which I already am, then it's not a good anime in my eyes.
@LordSozin they are just talking about how they think it being a BL shouldn't be a problem and its a good story nonetheless, I don't remember them saying you need to grow up because you dislike the story for any other aspect, please do read.
Nov 6, 2023 2:39 PM

Jul 2019
Reply to Blueberry173
@LordSozin they are just talking about how they think it being a BL shouldn't be a problem and its a good story nonetheless, I don't remember them saying you need to grow up because you dislike the story for any other aspect, please do read.
@Blueberry173, I read it perfectly. It's a matter of interpretation. In this case, you had a different interpretation than mine. That's all there's to it.

Move along.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Nov 7, 2023 3:19 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to LordSozin
@Blueberry173, I read it perfectly. It's a matter of interpretation. In this case, you had a different interpretation than mine. That's all there's to it.

Move along.
@LordSozin

Between this and the thankfully now deleted troll thread, I wish this series got rated a one out of ten if only so it doesn't break away from the intended audience. Whenever a show hits the top 50 or whatever, it seems like it draws in a bunch of negative attention which is really annoying and unfortunate.

Not really directed at you btw, but just in general... this happened to a lot of series before.

Nov 7, 2023 8:51 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to LordSozin

Move along.
@LordSozin indeed, you interpreted it as something the writer did not mean at all, that's why i pointed it out, that's all.
Nov 8, 2023 6:12 AM

Jun 2020
Lmao if it's really about BL who TF wants to watch this trash?! Dont cry about others opinion lmao
Nov 8, 2023 6:18 AM

Mar 2020
Reply to CodeXdagger
Lmao if it's really about BL who TF wants to watch this trash?! Dont cry about others opinion lmao
@CodeXdagger Naruto is gay
Nov 8, 2023 6:22 AM

Mar 2020
Its really funny how people would literally dislike a show just because of the fact that it contains some queer characters.... Like grow up lol.
Though its true I generally avoid BL written by women since they tend to mix it with their shoujo aesthatic and write it pretty unrealistically... and that I prefer Male writers when romantic MM relationships are at play, Ti guan ci fu however does that in a good manner.
Nov 14, 2023 7:17 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to 234Mannan
Its really funny how people would literally dislike a show just because of the fact that it contains some queer characters.... Like grow up lol.
Though its true I generally avoid BL written by women since they tend to mix it with their shoujo aesthatic and write it pretty unrealistically... and that I prefer Male writers when romantic MM relationships are at play, Ti guan ci fu however does that in a good manner.
@234Mannan I think it's rather ironic for @CodeXdagger to be hating on this series given they list kino no tabi as a favorite... which is an anime with a strongly queer-coded lead character. lmao

and, yeah, the super flowery 'yaoi' type anime isn't for everyone... Though I have to say even the female writers have improved by leaps and bounds since the early 00's and there is a lot more variety out there now. geikomi is a lot more popular too

Nov 14, 2023 7:37 AM

Mar 2020
Reply to quercifolia
@234Mannan I think it's rather ironic for @CodeXdagger to be hating on this series given they list kino no tabi as a favorite... which is an anime with a strongly queer-coded lead character. lmao

and, yeah, the super flowery 'yaoi' type anime isn't for everyone... Though I have to say even the female writers have improved by leaps and bounds since the early 00's and there is a lot more variety out there now. geikomi is a lot more popular too
@quercifolia Yeah I get it.
However my prob with most Female authors who write mm gay stories is that apart from the "girly tropes" they tend to make it highly unrealistic, idealistic and the same time subpar. Not all, I am just talking about the majority(which mainly involves korean mahwas as well)
The reason I prefer male writers when writing MM romance is simple, they are devoid of those. We get to see the real picture of what it feels like to like a "guy" as a "guy" and they tend to be more logical as well. Generally I think one of the biggest turn offs for male audiences(whether gay or straight) is simply the fact that they potray males in a very underwhelming way which generally involves their "standards" or "imagination"
But the authors which are exception to this rule for me personally are Kyuugou and Madeline Miller(Song of achilles) Love these 2
Nov 15, 2023 8:56 PM

Dec 2020
while some have commented on the pacing, even those who are familiar with the story, especially after this episode they really are doing a fantastic job adapting this and presenting the story in a beautiful and engaging way (even with some of the better details left out)

always worries me now when something gets delayed tho -_-

i think we had a delay s1 and it ended up fine? (banyue pass)

nier got delayed but ended up great with a s2 announcement, and zom 100 finally finishing xmas day but still, especially post pandemic days, delays are anxiety

i know it's gonna take years 😭 and i also want them to take time and do it well 🔥 but i want this series to have its day of proper completion 🙏🙏🙏
Nov 16, 2023 3:31 AM

Dec 2014
Thanks for passively aggressively and condescendingly letting us know it's BL.
"This is a thing I like, if your preferences aren't the same as mine, make them the same as mine or piss off" Brilliant.
Nov 16, 2023 9:05 AM

Dec 2020
wait what i'm confused
Nov 16, 2023 9:11 AM

Dec 2020
anyway this is a great story and a great adaptation so far read the danmei catch the vibes 🌊🏄‍♂️
Nov 16, 2023 9:30 AM

Nov 2021
I don't usually watch Chinese anime, I hate BL, but I try to watch every gerne if it has good writing and well-developed characters, I can overlook that BL if it's not major part of the story, so in the end all that matter to me is writing of a show, plot and how it handled its theme.
Nov 16, 2023 10:17 AM

Dec 2020
that's what's up! nothing wrong with that.

nothing wrong with disliking BL, there is a LOT of poorly written and trashy stuff in the genre. it skirts into elements i sure don't agree with. i'm a big fan of consent aaand yuh, BL has its issues.

danmei is its own genre and is usually incredibly interesting and well-written, and the majority of the time doesn't include the trashy stuff the BL genre does. this kinda goes into it's own semantics thing with labels and venn diagrams and overlapping all that kind of stuff. what matters is if you enjoy it

not liking BL is totally reasonable too. not liking a story because it has romance elements between two male characters is, it's to each their own but i personally think one might miss out on wonderful stories like this one, but it's their choice. i'm gay and i don't mind people making their own decisions with the content they choose to watch. it just gets weird when a series that gets highly rated suddenly gets bombarded with homophobic stuff like in that thread that was deleted. we can talk about a series without that nonsense

keep the vibes up like what you like do what you do

also if you are a fan of this story and danmei check out Shisi's Little Mushroom, it's an incredibly engaging and thrilling story, one of the best i've read

Nov 16, 2023 6:56 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to desusama
Thanks for passively aggressively and condescendingly letting us know it's BL.
"This is a thing I like, if your preferences aren't the same as mine, make them the same as mine or piss off" Brilliant.
@desusama ok im too weak what did you mean by this post
Nov 17, 2023 7:42 AM

Sep 2020
I really hope more people will stop sleeping on Donghua in general.
"I'll Take a Potato Chip and EAT IT"
Nov 21, 2023 6:41 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to Jellybeanx
I really hope more people will stop sleeping on Donghua in general.
@Jellybeanx There are a lot of great donghua coming out the last few years. I think everyone just has 'china anime bad' in their heads. Maybe from years ago when stuff like bloodivores or spiritpact came out and were less than impressive, I think people began to dismiss it. There was even a saying, 'Oh not another haoliners'

And look where we are today! HAOLINERS made TGCF and the score is very high. I think chinese anime really found it's feet and improved by leaps and bounds over the last decade. I hope more people will give it a chance.

Nov 22, 2023 1:54 PM

Sep 2020
Reply to quercifolia
@Jellybeanx There are a lot of great donghua coming out the last few years. I think everyone just has 'china anime bad' in their heads. Maybe from years ago when stuff like bloodivores or spiritpact came out and were less than impressive, I think people began to dismiss it. There was even a saying, 'Oh not another haoliners'

And look where we are today! HAOLINERS made TGCF and the score is very high. I think chinese anime really found it's feet and improved by leaps and bounds over the last decade. I hope more people will give it a chance.
@quercifolia Yeah, I couldn't agree more with you.
"I'll Take a Potato Chip and EAT IT"
Nov 22, 2023 9:53 PM

Dec 2020
I just love how these stories are written, all the threads are really smartly laid out and intertwined along with the characters and there are so many hooks, so many great character motivations, so many great twists and turns that keep you engaged with the story. I love the first part of this section of the story but it miiight be the slowest of the bunch, where the story goes from here is so wonderful. I'm not even done with it but I'm about to be and I don't want it to eeeend volume 8 comes next week 😭
Nov 26, 2023 7:14 PM
Aug 2020
oh, boys love, no thanks
Dec 3, 2023 10:31 AM

Dec 2008
Season 1 got me into the TGCF novels. I love the books! On book 6 of 8 now. I wonder how they'll handle kissing scenes and the like in future seasons? Think they'll replace them with action scenes like they did with the MDZS donghua? The BL is subtle in the beginning, so they can get away with some cuts. For instance, that ring Hua Cheng gives to Xie Lian in season 1 is made out of diamond (yes, he casually gave Xie Lian a fucking DIAMOND RING), which would have been revealed in season 2 when Xie Lian asks him about the ring had they not cut it out. :/ Stupid Chinese censorship... Anyway, how will future seasons deal when their relationship gets more serious? Will they even animate all 8 novels? I kinda figured season 2 will end at the end of book 2 (seems like a logical place in the story to end it).

On a side note I went to the danmei cosplay meetup at AnimeNYC last month (just to take photos for my own amusement). Not a single male cosplayer (unless they're trans, in which case sorry dudes for misgendering you). Quite a number of lesbian couples though. It seems like almost every time I see a BL cosplay, it's by a lesbian couple. Is there something about BL that magnetically attracts lesbian and bisexual women? And should I include myself with that, lol? I think yuri/GL has more gay women in its fan base than BL has gay men, like, both genres feel so... Shoujo. I've been curious about GeiKomi but hate beefcakes and like pretty boys, so I never got into it.

Sorry for the awkward angle on the photo. That was the best spot I could get at the front of the group.

Dec 5, 2023 4:38 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Reply to XanthReborn
Season 1 got me into the TGCF novels. I love the books! On book 6 of 8 now. I wonder how they'll handle kissing scenes and the like in future seasons? Think they'll replace them with action scenes like they did with the MDZS donghua? The BL is subtle in the beginning, so they can get away with some cuts. For instance, that ring Hua Cheng gives to Xie Lian in season 1 is made out of diamond (yes, he casually gave Xie Lian a fucking DIAMOND RING), which would have been revealed in season 2 when Xie Lian asks him about the ring had they not cut it out. :/ Stupid Chinese censorship... Anyway, how will future seasons deal when their relationship gets more serious? Will they even animate all 8 novels? I kinda figured season 2 will end at the end of book 2 (seems like a logical place in the story to end it).

On a side note I went to the danmei cosplay meetup at AnimeNYC last month (just to take photos for my own amusement). Not a single male cosplayer (unless they're trans, in which case sorry dudes for misgendering you). Quite a number of lesbian couples though. It seems like almost every time I see a BL cosplay, it's by a lesbian couple. Is there something about BL that magnetically attracts lesbian and bisexual women? And should I include myself with that, lol? I think yuri/GL has more gay women in its fan base than BL has gay men, like, both genres feel so... Shoujo. I've been curious about GeiKomi but hate beefcakes and like pretty boys, so I never got into it.

Sorry for the awkward angle on the photo. That was the best spot I could get at the front of the group.

@XanthReborn

That picture is AWESOME so many hualian's asdjaksdjsa

Dec 5, 2023 8:45 PM

Dec 2008
quercifolia said:
@XanthReborn

That picture is AWESOME so many hualian's asdjaksdjsa

I think that is my favorite pic out of the ones I took. Here's one of everyone. They separated things out by series and ship.
Dec 6, 2023 7:22 AM
Apr 2016
Reply to SurgeonOfDeath7
*sees BL*

@SurgeonOfDeath7 wish I knew it sooner. I never drop anime so this is a bit of torture to me.
Dec 6, 2023 7:32 AM

Feb 2016
lordgaara said:
It's a story from the novel by the same author who wrote the incredible Mo Dao Zu Shi

Thanks, now I know not to watch it.
その目だれの目?
Dec 8, 2023 8:19 PM
Aug 2020
so after watching s1 and the special i can assure you that even people who don't want BL can enjoy this show.
Jan 23, 7:43 AM
Apr 2022
I try watch because the Japanese dub have my favorite VA 😅 The story surprising okay. And since I do like magic power stuff. I just watched S1 yet.
Feb 20, 4:57 PM

Dec 2020
@Peepsqueeker nah i'm not reading that lmao
Feb 20, 5:05 PM

Dec 2020
gay story with gay characters go BRRRRRRRRRRRR

have a nice day HATERSSSSSSS
Mar 7, 12:17 AM
Oct 2022
Reply to CodeXdagger
@CodeXdagger Girls, probably. A lot of guys don't mind and some even like GL/lesbian animes... yeah confusing

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tian Guan Cifu Er Episode 6 Discussion

otakuweek - Dec 6, 2023

27 by Muow »»
May 21, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Tian Guan Cifu Er Episode 2 Discussion

otakuweek - Oct 25, 2023

35 by Muow »»
May 17, 3:52 PM

Poll: » Tian Guan Cifu Er Episode 12 Discussion

Xealias - Jan 17

32 by Tamima10 »»
May 16, 4:49 AM

Poll: » Tian Guan Cifu Er Episode 4 Discussion

otakuweek - Nov 8, 2023

27 by Tamima10 »»
May 14, 2:39 AM

Poll: » Tian Guan Cifu Er Episode 3 Discussion

otakuweek - Nov 1, 2023

16 by Tamima10 »»
May 13, 1:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.