Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 9, 2023 4:25 AM
May 2023
Heard people say it’s a bad adaptation. But I didn’t read the manga and I don’t care about it.

From an anime-only standpoint and putting manga aside, is this worth watching?

Heard it gets worse as it goes on in later seasons, and I hate dropping shows halfway.

Would like to hear your thoughts, preferably from those who are also anime-only
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 9, 2023 4:40 AM
Nov 2022
Issax28 said:
Heard people say it’s a bad adaptation. But I didn’t read the manga and I don’t care about it.

Heard it gets worse as it goes on in later seasons, and I hate dropping shows halfway.

I have only watched the anime. Yes, it did decline as the seasons progress, but it never became unwatchable or even bad in my opinion. I just wasn't a fan of the story direction. Since it's only 4 seasons, it's not too difficult to power through if you start losing interest.
Oct 9, 2023 4:41 AM

Aug 2020
Anime only here. I personally find this show ranges from bad to downright awful, but based off your list I reckon you'd enjoy it at least a bit. Why do you hate dropping shows?
Call me Ren
Oct 9, 2023 4:41 AM
Jul 2022
Neh, it isn't that bad. You'll enjoy it. Start watching and you'll see. Try not to get spoiled from manga readers.
Keep your expectations to minimum. If you keep high expectations then sometimes you might not get what you've wanted. So watch it with a easy-going mind.
Oct 9, 2023 4:42 AM
Oct 2023
Nope , read the manga
Oct 9, 2023 4:49 AM
Sep 2021
Worth 💯, I too haven't read the manga, so loved this anime...
Oct 9, 2023 4:56 AM
Aug 2022
No. NO. I’m both a anime watcher and a manga reader. The anime is absolutely trash.

Read the manga. Not does the story actually make sense but the art is incredible.

The anime only does season 1 somewhat justice. But even then its nothing special. Season 2 is just a different story. And everything else is incredibly rushed missing tons of plot points and has terrible animation last season 2.

Read the manga. It will be your best choice.
Oct 9, 2023 4:57 AM
Apr 2017
The animation becomes a power point presentation by the final season and the story becomes impossible to follow because of how many times it deviated and rushed through the manga. There are way better anime for u to watch out there if ur not interested in the manga.
Oct 9, 2023 4:59 AM

Jun 2016
First season is very decent dark fantasy.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 9, 2023 4:59 AM
Sep 2023
The first season was okay, but by the time you get to Tokyo Ghoul Re, the adaptation just keeps getting worse and worse as it deviates from the manga to the point where everything doesn't make sense.
Even as an anime, you'll find the pacing to be downright horrible

I think you'd be better off reading the manga.
Oct 9, 2023 5:02 AM
Nov 2014
I watched the first season before reading the manga and had no expectations. So it was hype af. Then I read the manga and it is better, and the latter seasons of the show drop the ball in story and quality. But the first season I think is pretty solid for an anime-only
Oct 9, 2023 5:32 AM
May 2022
Whether you love reading or you hate it. You should definitely read the manga. I was also an anime-only and i started reading Tokyo Ghoul:re which is the second half of Tokyo Ghoul. The reason why i started reading from the second half was because the anime adapted the second half so poorly that i just had to know the original story because it was so interesting. I’m just now reading the first half of the Tokyo Ghoul manga (btw it’s as good if not better than the second half) because they skip alot of stuff and season 2 is 90% anime original with an anime original ending that doesn’t animate the actual finale of Tokyo Ghoul and leaves the anime-onlys confused as to why it ended on such a bad cliffhanger and even when you start watching Tokyo Ghoul:re you still won’t be seeing that ending. Tokyo Ghoul is 14 volumes long and Tokyo Ghoul:re is 16 volumes long.
Oct 9, 2023 5:39 AM
May 2022
NoUsername09 said:
Whether you love reading or you hate it. You should definitely read the manga. I was also an anime-only and i started reading Tokyo Ghoul:re which is the second half of Tokyo Ghoul. The reason why i started reading from the second half was because the anime adapted the second half so poorly that i just had to know the original story because it was so interesting. I’m just now reading the first half of the Tokyo Ghoul manga (btw it’s as good if not better than the second half) because they skip alot of stuff and season 2 is 90% anime original with an anime original ending that doesn’t animate the actual finale of Tokyo Ghoul and leaves the anime-onlys confused as to why it ended on such a bad cliffhanger and even when you start watching Tokyo Ghoul:re you still won’t be seeing that ending. Tokyo Ghoul is 14 volumes long and Tokyo Ghoul:re is 16 volumes long.

Oh and what the fuck are your ratings? How is Demon Slayer rated higher than Code Geass, Evangelion, Jujutsu Kaisen and Hell’s Paradise? And who in their right mind rates Vinland Saga S2 lower than S1? And why the fuck is Spy x Family is rated higher than Attack on Titan S1 and S4? I have so many questions regarding the way you rate these.
Oct 9, 2023 5:42 AM
May 2022
NoUsername09 said:
NoUsername09 said:

Oh and what the fuck are your ratings? How is Demon Slayer rated higher than Code Geass, Evangelion, Jujutsu Kaisen and Hell’s Paradise? And who in their right mind rates Vinland Saga S2 lower than S1? And why the fuck is Spy x Family is rated higher than Attack on Titan S1 and S4? I have so many questions regarding the way you rate these.

And i forgot one more thing: Berserk (90s) rated lower than Mushoku Tensei and Spy x Family should be a crime.
Oct 9, 2023 5:48 AM
Aug 2020
the anime sucks but I don't think the manga is particularly good either. good art tho
Oct 9, 2023 6:19 AM
Aug 2023
Well i would say it's good and it gets kinda-
But I think you should watch it ^^

Oct 9, 2023 6:26 AM
Jan 2023
i was anime only for a long time, until i bought the 2 manga box sets and damn i sure was losing something, when i only watched the anime i only liked the characters and the style but the second season really made me hate the series a lot even when i didn't know that it was non manga cannon, i would say that its not worth watching the anime only
Oct 9, 2023 6:31 AM
Dec 2021
Manga is way way better, but I never thought of it as awful as people make it out to be, but I can really watch bad shows and be fine, so maybe I’m not qualified
Oct 9, 2023 7:01 AM
Sep 2021
Personally for me the anime wasn’t bad but the change of events from 1,2-3,4 just left me confused. Basically when I got to s3-4 i was wondering if I was even watching the same show and things were left unanswered
Oct 9, 2023 7:05 AM
May 2023
NoUsername09 said:
NoUsername09 said:

Oh no here comes the anime elitist. But let me defend myself anyway.

Demon Slayer - mid story mid characters but animation stood out

JJK - same as demon slayer but animation did not stand out xD

Code Geass - boring war stuff + Lelouch is a fraud gifted with OP and unskilled power + too much screen time on redundant plot device characters + Suzaku worst rival ever

Hells Paradise - had potential but production was clearly rushed

NGE - too much focus on cringy insecure crybaby teens, lore + mecha element gets sub-plotted

AOT - I gave S1 a 10 not sure what you’re talking about. Didn’t like S4 cause time skip + MAPPA shitty art style and plot became generic revenge war story

Vinland Saga S2 - lower than S1 cause slave arc too long + cliche “war/violence is bad” moral preaching

Berserk - boring edgelord show
Oct 9, 2023 7:24 AM
Mar 2022
Issax28 said:

I mean except season 3, the anime is really good, so yeah, I definitely recommend you watching it, you can just skip some parts of season 3 if you feel bored by it other than that season 1 is gem, 2nd and 4th season varies between 7.5-9 star
Oct 9, 2023 7:52 AM
Dec 2021
Even if you don’t read the manga, you can understand how bad the adaption is, first season is pretty good, second season too it’s fine (manga is better anyway), the last season is terrible, so I would say watch first two season only or read the manga
Oct 9, 2023 8:08 AM

Apr 2015
Even if you've never read the manga, You will see faults in the consistency and plot of the story if you pay attention.
My best advice to give you would be to watch the season 1 as that was amazingly done and then just read the manga from the beginning.
You can then watch the remaining seasons after finishing the manga because that way you might enjoy it slightly more because you'll be familiar with the plot.
I also used to be anime only for Tokyo Ghoul and even I didnt like the later seasons and once I read the manga it was so better. Manga is a 10/10.
Oct 9, 2023 8:08 AM
Dec 2021
I would say yes,it's decent as an anime.
but no if your expectations high.
you won't be enjoying it much unless you keep your expectations to minimum.
Oct 9, 2023 8:37 AM
Feb 2021
Its worth it, but a advice from my side is to binge the whole 4 seasons or at least dont make big breaks between the seasons.
Oct 9, 2023 8:37 AM
May 2023
ishinashi14 said:
your taste is sh*t. clown clown clown

Cry is free, go on.
Oct 9, 2023 9:06 AM
Jul 2022
Season 1 and 2 were pretty good. Season 3 part 1 and 2 though go down hill since it feels incredibly rushed and confusing at times. They also decided to "correct" things that happened in S2 that were anime original without giving any good reasons for it even though they weren't bad in the first place, just different from the source. If you've seen High School DxD, then imagine they didn't redo the ending for S3 (since it was anime original) at the beginning of S4 and instead just assumed the watcher knew what should have actually happened and just continued the story.
Oct 9, 2023 9:33 AM
Jun 2022
watch until season 2
Oct 9, 2023 9:57 AM

Jan 2020
I only watched the anime, and while I did feel that it’s kinda choppy from time to time, plus there were some relatively cringey moments in the third season, I wouldn’t say it was bad. So, yeah, I would recommend watching it.
Oct 9, 2023 10:04 AM
Sep 2023
Issax28 said:

season 1 it's peak
Oct 9, 2023 10:17 AM
Sep 2022
well worth watching for sure
Oct 9, 2023 10:25 AM
Jun 2021
Your best bet is to read the manga
Oct 9, 2023 10:51 AM
May 2023
It's really good for the first season, you might lose some interest at the beginning of the second but it ends well and is as good as season 1. Season 3 and 4 are a little bit of a torture so if you get through season 3, season 4 feels a lot better than 3 and you might enjoy it.
Oct 9, 2023 11:02 AM
Feb 2022
season one is fine good even after that the story stays from the source with confusing parts and leaving information out the manga is a masterpiece bjt if that is 100% put of the question still watch the anime
Oct 9, 2023 11:33 AM

Sep 2014
Much better than Huntrash x Garbage
Oct 9, 2023 11:48 AM
Jan 2020
Issax28 said:

Tokyo Kushu is one of the few animes that didn't make me feel any interest for the whole first season, second season is not much better but I wouldn't recommend it (I would just recommend the opening Unravel)
Oct 9, 2023 12:23 PM
Jun 2023
Idk about later seasons but season 1 was decent and I somewhat enjoyed it, imo it was to heavily focused on the action instead of the characters, you should read the manga instead
Oct 9, 2023 12:58 PM

Apr 2021
As an anime only, yes its worth it just don't think about or look up what happened in the manga and keep your expectations low
Sammyy143Oct 9, 2023 1:09 PM
Oct 9, 2023 1:11 PM
Aug 2021
As an anime-only I didn’t mind the first and second season at all but the third and fourth were pretty bad tbh
Oct 9, 2023 1:30 PM
Jan 2023
hell yeah S1 is dope!!!
Oct 9, 2023 2:25 PM
Jul 2023
yes absolutely, give it a go
Oct 9, 2023 2:34 PM
Aug 2017
if I were going to read, tg and berserk first. but I loved s1 of the anime. i had no idea what the ending was all about.. but the first op is one of my all time favorites. watch at least that.
Oct 9, 2023 2:41 PM
Jan 2021
I’m primarily a manga reader but I did watch the first season and thought it was decent. I would suggest only reading it if you don’t like to reread (because the first season does miss some key plot things and you would need to read it from the beginning) but overall the first season is a good introduction. Didn’t even bother with the rest of the seasons though because they are such a convoluted mess. Plus there are a lot of subtle character moments that I think are just presented better in the manga even just within the first season- let alone the others.
Oct 9, 2023 3:23 PM

Aug 2022
i would say that the first two seasons are worth watching but season 3 and 4 the quality drops dramatically
Oct 9, 2023 3:32 PM
Jun 2020
As an anime only, the first season was good/a fun watch and it got progressively worse from there. From what I understand, season two took it's own story/became different from the manga, and season three continued from the manga while practically cutting out what should of been in season two. I personally don't recommend it/would say you are better off watching something else.
Oct 9, 2023 4:28 PM
May 2022
I think there’s definitely stuff you’d enjoy, but you’ll inevitably be let down by the later seasons.
Oct 9, 2023 5:04 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Season 1 yes. The rest, idk….
Oct 9, 2023 6:01 PM
Oct 2023
it is lol its a very good anime
Oct 9, 2023 6:33 PM
Oct 2020
i havent read the manga yet, and i really enjoyed the entire anime. I'd say it's worth it
Oct 9, 2023 8:28 PM
Jan 2021
Ye, it’s worth it. It’s one of the most popular anime, it’s good to watch the basics. Plus it’s not as bad as people say it is if you’re an anime only. A lot of opinions are usually copy and paste with what’s popular or not.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

846 by Vindicater »»
May 13, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

320 by Vindicater »»
May 8, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dior - Jul 10, 2014

520 by Vindicater »»
May 4, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2014

860 by Vindicater »»
May 2, 5:29 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.