Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime (plural, because, well, plural for anime is anime, not animes) are popular in Japan, but not where baka gaijins live?

New
Sep 1, 2023 4:25 PM
Aug 2023
I think:

Precure
Bang Dream
Love Live
Doraemon
Detective Conan... Not sure, it has its fans, but it just doesn't seem as popular as in Japan.

What else?
Sep 1, 2023 4:41 PM

Oct 2020
Sazae-san, Doraemon, Ninja Hattori-kun, Anpanman, Nintama Rantarou, Gundam (kind of popular in the west, but basically the Star Wars of Japan), Shimajirou

Sep 1, 2023 5:10 PM

Jan 2020
Anpanman, Sazae-san, Kimba, Toriko, Gate and Yokai Watch are staples in Japan but hardly known outside.

Also Doraemon is actually popular in Western Europe and especially South East Asia.

MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Sep 1, 2023 7:54 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to eblf2013
Anpanman, Sazae-san, Kimba, Toriko, Gate and Yokai Watch are staples in Japan but hardly known outside.

Also Doraemon is actually popular in Western Europe and especially South East Asia.

I have heard that Jungle Emperor and many of Tezuka's other manga were popular in Japan. The Three-Eyed One was among his most popular at the time of its serialization, yet it still has no English translation! I don't know where else they might be popular, but they're certainly not popular where I grew up. Astro Boy is the only one of Tezuka's works I had heard of before I began watching anime as an adult.

GeGeGe no Kitaro is another anime that might not be popular outside Japan.
その目だれの目?
Sep 1, 2023 8:08 PM

Mar 2019
Symphogear is a very popular series in Japan, no wonder it had 5 seasons.

Sep 1, 2023 8:20 PM

May 2019
Tiger and Bunny is super popular in Japan but not in the west.
Sep 1, 2023 8:24 PM

Sep 2020
Probably Saki, Mahjong is not as popular in western countries.
Sep 1, 2023 8:33 PM

Jan 2020
Reply to Lucifrost

I have heard that Jungle Emperor and many of Tezuka's other manga were popular in Japan. The Three-Eyed One was among his most popular at the time of its serialization, yet it still has no English translation! I don't know where else they might be popular, but they're certainly not popular where I grew up. Astro Boy is the only one of Tezuka's works I had heard of before I began watching anime as an adult.

GeGeGe no Kitaro is another anime that might not be popular outside Japan.
@Lucifrost I looked for some information, and as for the Three Eyed One, there is no translation in Spanish for that work nor dub for the anime in either Castillian or Latin American dub. However, Kimba was sorta popular here and I remember watching it as a kid.

I think that we could say that many Tezuka's works are not known outside Japan.

Ah, thanks for reminding me of Gegege no Kitarou, to be honest I didn't know that franchise till VERY recently and the lots of reboots and spinoffs it has.

Sep 1, 2023 8:43 PM

Dec 2021
Sazae-san was the first anime that came to my mind. Maybe Anpanman as well.
Sep 1, 2023 8:47 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to eblf2013
@Lucifrost I looked for some information, and as for the Three Eyed One, there is no translation in Spanish for that work nor dub for the anime in either Castillian or Latin American dub. However, Kimba was sorta popular here and I remember watching it as a kid.

I think that we could say that many Tezuka's works are not known outside Japan.

Ah, thanks for reminding me of Gegege no Kitarou, to be honest I didn't know that franchise till VERY recently and the lots of reboots and spinoffs it has.
eblf2013 said:
However, Kimba was sorta popular here and I remember watching it as a kid.

Oh, so is he also called Kimba in Spanish? Only some versions call him Kimba in English, most notably the 1965 anime. The 1989 anime uses Kimba but was never completely dubbed. The 1966 and 1997 anime use Leo, his Japanese name. How is it where you live? Do the Spanish dubs of these anime all use the same name as their English versions?
その目だれの目?
Sep 1, 2023 9:00 PM

Jan 2020
Reply to Lucifrost
eblf2013 said:
However, Kimba was sorta popular here and I remember watching it as a kid.

Oh, so is he also called Kimba in Spanish? Only some versions call him Kimba in English, most notably the 1965 anime. The 1989 anime uses Kimba but was never completely dubbed. The 1966 and 1997 anime use Leo, his Japanese name. How is it where you live? Do the Spanish dubs of these anime all use the same name as their English versions?
Most iterations of Kimba call it like that, often with the subtitle Kimba el león blanco (Kimba the white lion). According to a dubbing wiki, only the 1967 iteration had a different title, one called Leo, el león (Leo the Lion) and the redub called El Emperador de la Jungla (The Jungle Emperor).

Sep 1, 2023 9:48 PM

Feb 2016
@eblf2013
Is the protagonist of El Emperador de la Jungla called "Leo?" You called it a redub, but which anime is it a redub of? I find it fascinating that any version of Jungle Emperor was popular enough to be dubbed more than once for your region. Here in America, not even Astro Boy is popular enough to get a redub!
その目だれの目?
Sep 1, 2023 9:51 PM

Feb 2020
I have to agree with PreCure, Love Live, BanG Dream, and Symphogear.

Sep 1, 2023 9:56 PM
May 2023
Both Ooku and My Dressup Darling seem to be more popular in Japan. People also keep saying that about Bungou Stray Dogs, but I'm no longer sure, because this season noone seems to watch it.
Sep 2, 2023 5:11 AM

Jan 2020
Reply to Lucifrost
@eblf2013
Is the protagonist of El Emperador de la Jungla called "Leo?" You called it a redub, but which anime is it a redub of? I find it fascinating that any version of Jungle Emperor was popular enough to be dubbed more than once for your region. Here in America, not even Astro Boy is popular enough to get a redub!
@Lucifrost The 1965-66 had two redubs and the 66-67 had one. And he is called Kimba or Leo depending on the iteration.

More topics from this board

» Isekais that you think are actually good and why

IpreferEcchi - Sep 16

41 by Sheol01 »»
2 minutes ago

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 )

Deathlydash - Today

57 by bossunhimeswitch »»
6 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - 2 hours ago

8 by LoveYourSmile »»
7 minutes ago

» Is anime too mainstream? ( 1 2 )

SimplyBrazen - Yesterday

71 by ScaryOwl »»
21 minutes ago

» As a 10+ year otaku veteran you' tend to watch less anime, but consume otaku related things through other means like manga, seiyuus, Pixiv, doujinshi, etc. I am right now at that phase.

KiraraFan - Yesterday

26 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.