Forum Settings
Forums

Seasonal anime is impossible to keep up with!

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 3, 2023 7:24 PM

Oct 2020
I usually only watch 2-3 shows per season, most seasonal anime don't catch my attention 
Jul 3, 2023 8:07 PM

May 2023
You don't have to keep up with every anime. Select a handful of shows which interest you the most and watch them regardless of their critical reception or hype among anime fans. I've given up on following seasonals and I don't watch the most hyped thing currently due to multiple disappointments in the past. For me, it's better to be left out of the loop than watching something only because of hype.
Jul 3, 2023 8:13 PM

Feb 2018
ChromaticGlow said:
Hitting 30 this year really has me reflecting on what I do with my free time and I've noticed that I really struggle keeping up with airing anime. After 10+ years of consistent watching there are so many sequel seasons to keep up with. Add in brand new anime and anime that I need to catch up on to watch the current airing season and it gets ridiculous. But I know that if I slow down my plan to watch will just explode and I'll be out of the loop. How do you all handle keeping up?

Edit: Due to certain responses I want to add that I enjoy every minute of what I watch! It's more of a "not enough time in the day problem" and it got me curious if others, especially my age, feel the same. Also a few of you almost seem almost annoyed lol. Chill homies, it's just fun discussion

It's not that it comes off as annoying, it's just not good for your health. You have to reconsider, and thinking of it only as an anon stranger genuinely worried about you.

Even if you could somehow stop time and watch all the anime that you want, it's simply not worth it. It's your own life, not a mere vessel consumming media inexhaustibly.

At least start by picking what you really want to watch or do, show yourself some respect by adding a few more different activities to your free time
"Chimp in state of nature never jerks off, but in captivity he does, wat does this mean? In state of nature he’s too busy, to put plainly. He is concerned with mastering space: solving problem of life in and under trees, mastering what tools he can, mastering social relations in the jockeying for power and status. Deprived of this drive to development and self-increase he devolves to pointless masturbation, in captivity, where he senses he is in owned space and therefore the futility of all his efforts and all his actions."
Jul 4, 2023 12:12 AM

Jan 2023
So far I'm okay, probably because I'm very picky: I give a lot of new seasonal animes a try but end up being interested in just a handful of them.
As for sequels, well there isn't that many animes that I liked which get a sequel so it's alright so far.
Jul 4, 2023 12:16 AM

Feb 2019
Man same here I’m in college and I barely have time to watch anime. (T-T)
Jul 4, 2023 12:17 AM
Jun 2023
If you try to keep track of all the sequels, prequels and new anime, then you can not have time to live. I am calm about new anime and try to spend more time offline.
Jul 4, 2023 12:50 AM

Jun 2019
Wait till you get to 40 and have children. Then the time constraints get even tighter. My seasonal anime consumption has decreased quite a bit. I used to pick up about 15-25 shows per season back in 2019 when I started watching seasonal anime (and before we had a kid). Now it's about 5-10 shows per season and even that feels like too many.

The problem I find is picking the shows that will be worth my while, or I'll enjoy most. I've started waiting until a few weeks of the season has passed and picking up the most recommended show (Skip & Loafer last season, which was very good). I tend to rely on reviews, word of mouth on mal and anituber reviews to make my seasonal watching decisions, on top of the sequels and anything that catches my eye (ie My Happy Marriage this season). I picked up Yuri is my Job and My One Hit Kill Sister last season and surprisingly quite enjoyed both for different reasons. These are the types of shows I'll miss out on due to time constraints, but hey that's the compromise for getting older and having irl commitments.
Jul 4, 2023 1:14 AM

Nov 2020
I just have three monitors, a phone and a laptop and I'm watching all of them at the same time at 2x speed
Jul 4, 2023 1:22 AM

Jun 2012
I can watch 4-5 seasonal anime, but I barely have time to go through my plan to watch list.

I'm super jealous of neets. Working brings nothing but misery.
Jul 4, 2023 1:33 AM

Sep 2018
I'm also turning 30 this year, though have been watching seasonal anime for about 4 years so far. Can't say I'm tired of yet, though I manage my own work hours.
Jul 4, 2023 1:40 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022

You're 30 and yet to complete 300 anime,...it can't be helped, just watch whatever you want.. Don't stress about you have to watch this anime and that anime this season, just go ahead and watch the ones that you enjoy the most..

Jul 4, 2023 5:06 AM

Jan 2008
I pick quite a few seasonal anime that interest me and just gradually drop the ones that don't keep my attention. 

Saying that I am behind this season as I binged vinland saga s2

I still need to finish Hell's Paradise and start the new demon slayer season. Give Marginal service another chance. See if Heavenly delusions lives up to the hype. Maybe try skip to loafer. And complete my internal debate to finish My Home Hero put it on hold or drop it. 
UberBatJul 4, 2023 5:09 AM
Jul 4, 2023 12:06 PM

Apr 2023
It gets easier once you get more critical of stuff. I maybe watch like 2 seasonal anime to completion all year. But back in the day i would watch everything, really.
Jul 4, 2023 12:49 PM

Aug 2012
First off, a belated happy birthday to you. Hope you have a wonderful 30s ahead. :)
Now onto the topic. Your concerns are exactly what I had. In my case, I have stopped following seasonal anime altogether. One reason being that due to the baffling number of anime being aired these days, it's become nearly impossible to follow them as compare to the previous decade and earlier. Also, while there are a lot more anime, many of them have overlapping premises, so that kinda sucks the charm out of them. What I now do is that I pick up 5 to 10 anime that catch my interest and wait for them to finish airing.
Another reason why I've stopped following seasonal anime is due to the huge backlog I already have. I've been watching anime all the way back to the 60s, so there're a lot of shows to cover.
Oh, and if you're out of the loop and worried about talking about anime with others, what I do is that I talk about older anime with others. If that doesn't work, then I play more of the passive listener.

So yeah, that's my solution. Feel free to lemme know what you think. And best of luck with your life!
Jul 4, 2023 1:17 PM

Oct 2022
Well seasonal Anime isn’t meant to “watch all”, and is because there is always something to someone, not like more “western” media were you would see movies/tv show trying to be “the next [insert most popular thing]”. For example if you finished Kimetsu, you might not want to see another demon hunting show. Well you are covered, we have some rom-com or comical slide of life.

What I do to try to keep with my anime list (IT IS THE NAME OF THE SITE! He said it!) is to assign one day to one Anime. It is easier to spent 30 minutes than just shove 3 hours. Now, in the case of seasonal anime, you will have to fight the spoilers
Jul 4, 2023 11:42 PM

Mar 2008
I only recently started attempting to go all in on seasonals to take away any decision making so i can see things i would have missed otherwise to find new tastes to look out for later. I think the trick to keep up is to not watch what you want but watch as soon as each episode is released or wait till a full season has run then binge through the series skipping redundant OPs and EDs.
Jul 5, 2023 1:37 AM

May 2018
"Seasonal anime is impossible to keep up with!"

Are we supposed to keep up with all the seasonal anime? It must be in the fine print on my weeb contract or something.
Jul 5, 2023 3:57 AM

Nov 2018
It depends on the season. For instance, last season was brutal to keep up with since there were like a dozen titles that were worthy of watching. Then we have seasons like this current one where I might end up watching just two or three shows.
Jul 5, 2023 4:56 AM

Dec 2013
I usually wait until season ends then watch everything I want from start to finish. Watching anime isn't your job (if you're not a paid anime reviewer, of course), so don't stress too much about trends and enjoy shows that you want to watch. Otherwise... what's the point?
Jul 5, 2023 3:25 PM

Apr 2020
I don't understand the problem.

You didn't do that before, anyways^^ You're watching about 4 Show's a Season, judging by your list....so what changed? You just pick the ones you enjoy and ignore the rest. You never kept up with  EVERY Anime of the season, in the first place. No matter how many Show's are airing. There's no problem.

I think that is true for most people. It's great to have so many Shows to choose from, no? xD
Jul 5, 2023 5:24 PM

Jun 2020
When I still watch around 5-10 seasonals, I usually try to catch up the latest episodes immediately after they released. It helped me to save my time a bit I think.
Jul 5, 2023 6:01 PM

Jan 2013
If you don't have a ton of time, then you need to improve your taste so you can easily ignore all the trash out there.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 5, 2023 6:14 PM

Dec 2016
I watch actually good anime released in years past that everyone already knows is good and not shitty seasonal flavor of the week
Jul 6, 2023 5:11 AM

Mar 2013
ChromaticGlow said:
But I know that if I slow down my plan to watch will just explode and I'll be out of the loop
Is that such a bad thing? What do you get from being in the loop that is worth doing nothing but watching anime? Going to be a major dick here, but have you considered other hobbies like a normal person? You probably should.
Jul 6, 2023 5:37 AM
Feb 2023
You don't need to watch everything as it becomes available. Be a lot more fussy about what you consume, don't just watch it "because it's available".

I'm in the lucky (or unlucky?) situation where I don't find a lot of seasonal anime that engages me so I usually end up only watching two or maybe three shows at the most. I am though a 'rewatcher' so I often go back and re-stream shows I've watched before or dive into my stack of Blu-rays and rewatch one or more of those when the mood takes me.
Jul 6, 2023 6:01 PM

Jan 2017
Why do you even try to keep up with seasonal? You'll just waste so much time watching a lot of bad anime.

Just pick 3-5 anime you are really interested in per season, that's enough content for normal people to process.
Jul 7, 2023 4:19 AM

Dec 2010
I don't think that I was able to keep up with every single seasonal title even back in secondary school. And then there's those seasons where I could barely find something above 6/10. Just follow the titles that pick up your interest or are very popular (if you want to be in the loop with the zeitgeist) and then if you have the time and will to watch extra stuff I would actually advise you to look up some older stuff, say from the 90s or the early 2000s. I rarely regretted going with the latter.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Favorite anime spring 2024

ani2016 - Jun 10

33 by jhzs0029 »»
56 seconds ago

» Do you got a favorite combination of eyes & hair colors?

Zowabo - 10 minutes ago

3 by MinakoBestGirl »»
2 minutes ago

» Least Favorite Characters

Jackof-allspades - 1 hour ago

10 by jhzs0029 »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime characters you like ONLY for their fanservice? (be honest)

asureiwong - 9 hours ago

12 by jhzs0029 »»
6 minutes ago

» What are some kinks anime has awoken inside you?

Thy-Veseveia - 9 hours ago

19 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.