Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 21, 2023 6:17 PM

Dec 2012
hi, everyone. If it alright, can you guys recommend to me those horror anime that is episodic?
so far, those that i know and already watch is:
Jigoku Shoujo
Mushishi
Warau Salesman (old & new)
Yami Shibai
Sekai no Yami Zukan
Kowabon
Junji Itou collection
Kyoufu Shinbun

thank you for the help! 
May 21, 2023 6:25 PM

Aug 2013
Trying to remember based on my terrible memory

1. Shiki
2. Higurashi series
3. Another
4. Mieruko-chan

errm, i dont recall any other atm
Nah, i dont think sharing anime ratings in signature is cool thing.

Here, stare at this pointless signature instead.
May 21, 2023 6:32 PM

Oct 2018
Mononoke is not episodic, but it's basically small arcs, 2~3 episodes per arc

iwansquall said:

1. Shiki
2. Higurashi series
3. Another
4. Mieruko-chan

Is Shiki episodic? I don't remember that.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
May 21, 2023 6:36 PM

Dec 2022
Phosphophyllita said:

iwansquall said:

1. Shiki
2. Higurashi series
3. Another
4. Mieruko-chan

Shiki isn't particularly episodic, so I'd question that too. There are various cases and deaths that occur in different episodes, but they aren't treated in isolation, and all of them contribute towards the plot and shedding light on the overall mystery. I consider Shiki more thematic than episodic in structure.

Shaded Horizon

May 21, 2023 6:43 PM

Dec 2012
iwansquall said:

1. Shiki
2. Higurashi series
3. Another
4. Mieruko-chan

thank you for the recommend!

tomasowa said:
To be fair, episodic horror can be confusing to recommend.
They can either be those that have different stories per episode or one main story in episodes.

Moreover and from a personal standpoint, horror is the most difficult emotion to portray on the audiovisual medium.
This is why they are hilarious or full of jump scares.

That said, from the Post's list the newest one missing would be the one that all Japanese manga horror fans have been waiting for:

• Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales of the Macabre

I will refrain from commenting as my opinion on the subject matter is already clear.
This is a Netflix special, however, and will be more accessible on their platform ...
i know this one but still thanks for the recommend!
May 21, 2023 7:10 PM

Feb 2021
I think ones I've watched are only Jigoku Shoujo and Mieruko-chan. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

May 21, 2023 7:27 PM

Jun 2019
Higurashi and Shiki definitely are not episodic. They're very much serials like any other telling one long continuous story from the very first episode to the last. Essentially like one long epic film. Both are still to this day some of the finest examples of proper horror in anime. Shiki is really the one I would recommend if seeking a "pure" horror as it's basically exclusively such and therefore probably the best title to recommend as a horror, whereas Higurashi, which I love even more and consider even greater, is more of a mystery as its top genre with horror elements...as well as thriller, drama, even Slice of Life and some minor comedy. Neither are episodic though. It's possible that someone mentioning those to you misunderstood or misread the question and just recommended you examples of fabulous horror.

Mushishi I wouldn't even consider a horror. It's more a mystery adventure fantasy/supernatural iyashikei Slice of Life. I've never seen it tagged as horror at all on MAL or any other website. There are definitely some episodes which could scare some people and take on a more creepy or eerie atmosphere with sometimes sinister implications of some characters or events, but kind of in the way that you could have those passing horror-esque elements in a lot of series.

I would actually in all seriousness recommend Gakkou no Kaidan. I watched it with original Japanese audio and while I know the English version of this series (under the title "Ghost Stories" with the English dub) was a parody version and taken as a joke good for a laugh, the original is actually pretty solid as a series and story in its own right. As with many episodic series, it also does have an overarching plotline which starts at the beginning, is touched upon and revisited sporadically, and then is resolved in the end, but the content of most of the actual episodes in-between is focused on a villain/monster-of-the-week type conflict and there are some creative ones with some having some tie-ins to mythology and urban legends.
WatchTillTandavaMay 21, 2023 7:31 PM
May 21, 2023 7:33 PM

Dec 2012
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
thank you for your recommend!
WatchTillTandava said:
Higurashi and Shiki definitely are not episodic. They're very much serials like any other telling one long continuous story from the very first episode to the last. Essentially like one long epic film. Both are still to this day some of the finest examples of proper horror in anime. Shiki is really the one I would recommend if seeking a "pure" horror as it's basically exclusively such and therefore probably the best title to recommend as a horror, whereas Higurashi, which I love even more and consider even greater, is more of a mystery as its top genre with horror elements...as well as thriller, drama, even Slice of Life and some minor comedy. Neither are episodic though. It's possible that someone mentioning those to you misunderstood or misread the question and just recommended you examples of fabulous horror.

Mushishi I wouldn't even consider a horror. It's more a mystery adventure fantasy/supernatural iyashikei Slice of Life. I've never seen it tagged as horror at all on MAL or any other website. There are definitely some episodes which could scare some people and take on a more creepy or eerie atmosphere with sometimes sinister implications of some characters or events, but kind of in the way that you could have those passing horror-esque elements in a lot of series.

I would actually in all seriousness recommend Gakkou no Kaidan. I watched it with original Japanese audio and while I know the English version of this series (under the title "Ghost Stories" with the English dub) was a parody version and taken as a joke good for a laugh, the original is actually pretty solid as a series and story in its own right. As with many episodic series, it also does have an overarching plotline which starts at the beginning, is touched upon and revisited sporadically, and then is resolved in the end, but the content of most of the actual episodes in-between is focused on a villain/monster-of-the-week type conflict and there are some creative ones with some having some tie-ins to mythology and urban legends.
thank you!
i will definitely give Higurashi a try!
as for Gakkou no Kaidan, i know this one, remember watching it on animax and that was really good to me at that time~
May 21, 2023 8:06 PM

Nov 2018
Horror anime are pretty rare. Episodic horror is even more so.

Hell Girl, Mononoke, Mokke, Requiem from the Darkness, Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror, and Death Parade are the only ones that come to mind that haven't been mentioned yet.

Vampire Princess Miyu and Darker than Black sort of fit but both of those anime ride the edge of what could be considered horror. I guess Mokke and Death Parade kind of toe that line as well but more for tonal than content reasons. Both of those shows have a creepy calmness to them.

It may not be episodic but any time people ask for horror recommendations I would be remiss to leave out Shinreigari aka Ghost Hound.

Edit: Looks like Hell Girl was already mentioned, I just failed to recognize the Japanese title. Lets see if I can't rattle a few more anime free from the cobwebs of my brain. The problem is I'm terrible with names and titles and my horror phase was quite some time ago.
MeltingSkyMay 21, 2023 8:41 PM
May 21, 2023 8:07 PM

Feb 2016
May 21, 2023 8:26 PM

Dec 2012
MeltingSky said:
Horror anime are pretty rare. Episodic horror is even more so.

Hell Girl, Mononoke, Mokke, and Death Parade are the only ones that come to mind that haven't been mentioned yet.

Vampire Princess Miyu and Darker than Black sort of fit but both of those anime ride the edge of what could be considered horror.

It may not be episodic but any time people ask for horror recommendations I would be remiss to leave out Shinreigari aka Ghost Hound.

Edit: Looks like Hell Girl was already mentioned, I just failed to recognize the Japanese title.
yeah, i know episodic horror anime is quite rare, that why i create this topic in case anyone know some of the anime that in this type or those that i never know of
still, thank you so much for all the recommend !

thank you for you help!
May 21, 2023 8:26 PM

Jun 2019
Lucia-Chloris said:
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
thank you for your recommend!
WatchTillTandava said:

thank you!
i will definitely give Higurashi a try!
as for Gakkou no Kaidan, i know this one, remember watching it on animax and that was really good to me at that time~
You're welcome. Also, just to let you know, if you end up watching Higurashi, be mindful of the watch order. The watch order isn't actually all that confusing compared to some other series - it's basically just release order. But some people make it unnecessarily confusing, so just be aware. For example, in the past few years the series regained some notoriety and became more of a hot topic again for a while in online anime communities because a sequel series was released starting in 2020 and continuing and concluding in 2021. Opinions on that are very varied (skewing toward more negative), but the real problem is that it's a sequel yet some people are unaware of this so accidentally watch it before the original series and seasons.

If you want to watch the complete story in anime form watch the following in this order:

- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (season one) (2006) - 26 episodes
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Special: Nekogoroshi-hen (special episode/OVA) (2007) - 1 episode
- Higurashi ni Naku Koro ni Kai (season two) (2007) - 24 episodes

That's 51 episodes total and contains all of the main story. And then, if you want a really nice epilogue and short sequel spending a little more time showing what happens directly following events in the days after, watch the middle three (out of five) episodes of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei, an OVA from 2009.

There are two other OVAs (one from 2011 and one from 2013) and the, as I mentioned, sequel series consisting of two seasons from 2020 and 2021, but I'd only recommend those to people who become diehard fans.
WatchTillTandavaMay 21, 2023 9:04 PM
May 21, 2023 8:43 PM

Dec 2012
WatchTillTandava said:
You're welcome. Also, just to let you know, if you end up watching Higurashi, be mindful of the watch order. The watch order isn't actually all that confusing compared to some other series - it's basically just release order. But some people make it unnecessarily confusing, so just be aware. For example, in the past few years the series regained some notoriety and became more of a hot topic again for a while in online anime communities because a sequel series was released starting in 2020 and continuing and concluding in 2021. Opinions on that are very varied (skewing toward more negative), but the real problem is that it's a sequel yet some people are unaware of this so accidentally watch it before the original series and seasons.

If you want to watch the complete story in anime form watch the following in this order:

- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (season one) (2006) - 26 episodes
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Special: (special episode/OVA) (2007) - 1 episode
- Higurashi ni Naku Koro ni Kai (season two) (2007) - 24 episodes

That's 51 episodes total and contains all of the main story. And then, if you want a really nice epilogue and short sequel spending a little more time showing what happens directly following events in the days after, watch the middle three (out of five) episodes of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei, an OVA from 2009.

There are two other OVAs (one from 2011 and one from 2013) and the, as I mentioned, sequel series consisting of two seasons from 2020 and 2021, but I'd only recommend those to people who become diehard fans.

thank you so much for your explainations! since i have no idea or any knowledge about this anime so it was really helpful for me ^ ^
May 22, 2023 6:36 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I'm just here to see if I can find new recommendations to watch so far I've seen all the anime mentioned here..
I do like horror anime, episodic or otherwise

May 22, 2023 6:55 AM

Feb 2016
@ryo-san
You've seen more GeGeGe no Kitaro than I have, but never Hakaba. You've also never seen any Digimon even thought Ghost Game is just like GeGeGe.
その目だれの目?
May 22, 2023 12:43 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Lucifrost said:
@ryo-san
You've seen more GeGeGe no Kitaro than I have, but never Hakaba. You've also never seen any Digimon even thought Ghost Game is just like GeGeGe.

Now I don't like Digimon at all... Didn't like digimon as a kid..

May 22, 2023 2:19 PM

Jul 2021
Phosphophyllita said:

iwansquall said:

1. Shiki
2. Higurashi series
3. Another
4. Mieruko-chan

Nope, it's not. It takes a while to get started, but it's 1 plot.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 22, 2023 2:23 PM

Jul 2021
WatchTillTandava said:
Shiki is really the one I would recommend if seeking a "pure" horror as it's basically exclusively such and therefore probably the best title to recommend as a horror

Shiki is a wholesome CGDCT anime.
Proof:

Now tell me this ain't cute.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 24, 2023 11:52 PM

Nov 2018
ryo-san said:
I'm just here to see if I can find new recommendations to watch so far I've seen all the anime mentioned here..

You are one of like six people who have seen Mokke? It does my crusty, blackened old heart good to see that anime get some much-deserved attention.
May 25, 2023 12:25 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
MeltingSky said:
ryo-san said:

You are one of like six people who have seen Mokke? It does my crusty, blackened old heart good to see that anime get some much-deserved attention.

I've seen lots of anime like mokke..
I'm probably the only one on Mal who knows a lot about yokai and Japanese folklore..

May 25, 2023 12:37 AM

Jul 2021
Mononoke
Boogiepop Phantom
Petshop of Horrors

Welcome to Irabu's Office (less horror and more psychological)
Mieruko-chan (Has an overarching plot but the Anime is mostly episodic)

And some episodes of Mushishi are pretty unnerving too.
May 25, 2023 1:13 AM

Jul 2022
Hell girl
Mononoke 
Mokke 
Requiem from the Darkness
Petshop of Horrors
SPOKY KITARO
May 25, 2023 5:15 AM
Mar 2015

Uggh... Ghost Game was inferior period. I hate that series. 67 episodes. What a waste!
May 25, 2023 5:19 AM

Apr 2020
Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbou , well it’s not really horror but the 90s animation tone and theme gives off vibes of horror than mystery
May 25, 2023 6:05 AM

Feb 2016
DigimonSommelier said:
Uggh... Ghost Game was inferior period. I hate that series. 67 episodes. What a waste!
Well obviously it would seem that way if you watched it expecting another digimon adventure and not the horror anime it actually is.
その目だれの目?
May 27, 2023 7:47 PM
Mar 2015
Wasn't watching it, expecting that; though, a series equalling its greatness should be the goal, no? Even if it is a horror, you can still tell a good story. The "plot" of Ghost Game was explained in the finale. What?! L.
May 28, 2023 10:22 AM

May 2012
Before watching Mononoke, you should start with its three-episode predecessor, the "Bake Neko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. Mononoke has arcs of two to four episodes as well.

"View Source" worked this time for cuting-and-pasting,

Episode 20 of GeGeGe no Kitarou 2018 won my personal award for Best Episode of its year. In a surprising bit of criticism of the Japanese government by the writers at Toei, episode twenty discusses how Japanese school children are taught little or nothing about their country's role in World War II. It falls to the yokai like Kitarou and his friends to describe what happened to thirteen-year-old schoolgirl Mana.
SeijiSenseiMay 28, 2023 10:30 AM
May 28, 2023 10:34 AM
Aug 2013
Gegege
Ghost stories
Ghost hunt
Toilet bound hanako
In-spectre
Boogiepop phantom
Petshop of horrors
Ito junji collection
XXXholic
D gray man
Death parade
Bakemonogatari 
Madoka magica
Bureau of paranormal investigation 
Shuangshen lingtan
Tong zhi zhe
Karakurizoushi ayatsuri
Shigurui
Dororo
Supernatural the animation
Devil may cry anime
Shin gakkou no yuurei
Umezu kazuo
Nurarihyon no mago
Youkai watch
Yami shibai
Kowabon
Natsume yuujinchou
Fukigen no mononokean
Muhyou to rouji
Majin tantei nougami 
Jigoku sensei nube
Claymore
Youkai ningen bem
Journal of mysterious creatures
Zhongguo jingqi xianshen
Alice in borderland
Rumiko takahashi anthology
Ryoko case files
Kemono jihen
Popee the performer
Funny pets
Kaze no youjinbou
Mythical detective loki
Psychic detective yakumo
Beautiful bones sakurago
AnimeDownUnderMay 28, 2023 10:53 AM
~AnimeDownUnder~

May 29, 2023 1:42 AM

Mar 2014
I actually just finished an anime called phantom quest detective corps. It’s an episodic horror with some comedy thrown in, only 4 episodes but it’s pretty enjoyable for what it is 
🌙

I wish you an ounce of luck
May 29, 2023 4:07 AM
May 2023
1. Shiki
2. Higurashi series
3. Another
4. Mieruko-chan
Regards:  Pubg Name Generator
May 29, 2023 4:08 AM
May 2023
ok thanks for this information
May 29, 2023 10:33 AM

Sep 2021
There's Ghost Stories, but it probably won't be that scary to an adult. The Beethoven episode is legit pretty scary though.
May 31, 2023 1:28 AM

Dec 2012
thank you everyone for the recommend! 
May 31, 2023 1:26 PM

Dec 2016

I wouldn't consider Another as episodic, but idk.

I don't really know if Shigofumi counts as episodic horror or not, but anyway has the vibe.
I would say Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror, Mononoke and definitely try Death parade and Petshop of Horrors.
May 31, 2023 6:41 PM

Dec 2012
@rubiadesiempre thank you for you recommend!

i also think that Takahashi Rumiko Gekijou Ningyo no Mori is quite episodic too so am just put in here for everyone to know 

More topics from this board

» what to watch after Lain

kerokero- - Sep 14

7 by VampireLord1024 »»
2 hours ago

» Anime that fits this criteria? (or similar to GaoGaiGar)

GoldionHammer - Today

9 by GoldionHammer »»
3 hours ago

» Romance Drama

AdityaRizkiS - Sep 15

5 by UberBat »»
4 hours ago

» Looking for a certain shade of brown hair

Nagi_Karman - 9 hours ago

3 by mo_lave »»
4 hours ago

» Recommend some anime (slice of life).

rey_s9 - Sep 12

7 by VampireLord1024 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.