Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 16, 2023 2:08 PM
Nov 2012
Basically the title, in the past few days I've seen some people bashing each others about how can we give a score/review to an anime that only release one episode so far and while I agree with them in most cases, I really do think that in the case of Osho No Ko this is a disservice because the first episode is pretty much a movie.

So, if a movie like "kaguya-sama first kiss" can have its own entry while being pretty much a concatenation of 4 episodes, I really do think that Oshi no Ko should have its own entry also. Hell, the first episode was better than Kaguya-sama movie regarding every movie department, because it felt like a unique and concise story, with a beginning and a conclusion (even that for now is only for the prologue).

I really don't like the idea of giving an anime with only one episode a score, but the first episode of Oshi no Ko for me is just that good, so, even though it might get worse in the next episodes, I really wanted to have a place to talk about only about the first episode and give it its proper attention or I will be forced to give a score to anime only based in the first episode (to give it justice), which I feel conflicted about.
Apr 16, 2023 2:18 PM
Jan 2021
I completely agree
Apr 16, 2023 2:23 PM
Oct 2022
Thank you for saying exactly what we were all thinking! At the end of the episode, Aqua even calls it the prologue to his story, so I firmly agree that it should be it’s own separate entry as a prologue to the main show.
Apr 16, 2023 2:29 PM
Mar 2023
Totally agree, was thinking that as well
Apr 16, 2023 2:31 PM

Jun 2016
I disagree mainly because other series have had long ass episodes and those weren't treated as different entries so I don't see why should we make an exception.
I can think of one exception and that's long special episodes like the history of trunks and bardock the father of goku but this episode is clearly not the same as those two.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 16, 2023 2:39 PM
May 2022
But then we would have to do the same for Aot, Demon slayer & every other anime that releases an 1 hour long first episode.
Seems like unnecessary extra work to me. Imagine having to update your MAL list when all the long 1st eps are separated entries.

Splitting up an anime so you could give a certain part a higher score does sound nice. However it kinda kills the true purpose of rating an anime to begin with.

I get the idea & 100% get where you're coming from, but I still prefer the eps together.
Apr 16, 2023 2:47 PM

Feb 2021
Not according to DB rules, so maybe read those
Apr 16, 2023 3:06 PM
Jun 2017
I fully back this, that first episode was basically a movie on its on leading into the rest of the show and it was just so good that I'm not even mad at the rating, which I usually would be because how stupid do you have to be to rate a show on 1 episode at least finish it first.
Apr 16, 2023 3:13 PM
Jun 2021
Well I would like it to be the part of the series only so that it could remain as "THE GREATEST ANIME PREMIERE OF ALL TIME"
Apr 16, 2023 4:50 PM
Sep 2021
MadanielFL said:
Not according to DB rules, so maybe read those

But this episode kinda had a movie screening in some places so many they should make some sort of exception?

And I assume for other animes that had long first episodes the story and build up were not done in the same way as this.
Apr 16, 2023 5:29 PM
Sep 2022
I think it just depends on what the studio advertised it as.
For example in fate ubw there is a 40 minute prologue that is it’s own entry but when you watch it on Crunchyroll it even say’s prologue instead of episode 1 like this case.
Apr 16, 2023 5:56 PM
Sep 2014
Riz_III said:
But then we would have to do the same for Aot, Demon slayer & every other anime that releases an 1 hour long first episode.
Seems like unnecessary extra work to me. Imagine having to update your MAL list when all the long 1st eps are separated entries.

Splitting up an anime so you could give a certain part a higher score does sound nice. However it kinda kills the true purpose of rating an anime to begin with.

I get the idea & 100% get where you're coming from, but I still prefer the eps together.
I don't think this should be separated, but this is different from typical one-hour premieres. Those usually run about 45-55 minutes, with a little more than two episodes of content. This premiere was much longer at 1 hour 22 minutes, which is actual film-length. This was basically the length of four episodes. 

The AoT release was on the longer side, and even that was 1 hour 1 minute. The Demon Slayer premiere was 49 minutes, which is pretty standard-length.
Apr 16, 2023 6:16 PM
May 2022
aenews said:
Riz_III said:

I don't think this should be separated, but this is different from typical one-hour premieres. Those usually run about 45-55 minutes, with a little more than two episodes of content. This premiere was much longer at 1 hour 22 minutes, which is actual film-length. This was basically the length of four episodes. 

The AoT release was on the longer side, and even that was 1 hour 1 minute. The Demon Slayer premiere was 49 minutes, which is pretty standard-length.

Well, I guess that makes my first point somewhat invalid in this case.

Thanks for the info.
Apr 16, 2023 7:25 PM
Mar 2021
Theo1899 said:
I disagree mainly because other series have had long ass episodes and those weren't treated as different entries so I don't see why should we make an exception.
I can think of one exception and that's long special episodes like the history of trunks and bardock the father of goku but this episode is clearly not the same as those two.

because it's movie length and a prequal
Apr 16, 2023 7:31 PM

Oct 2013
It's not fair for other anime. I wouldn't mind if it's like mugen train movie, but the first episode of oshi no ko is called first episode because it's still part of the whole season. If oshi no ko first eps gets its own entry, then every movie lenght episode should get their own entry too.

Don't bend a rule out of favoritism.
Apr 16, 2023 7:45 PM

Dec 2020
lumiere_noir said:
Basically the title, in the past few days I've seen some people bashing each others about how can we give a score/review to an anime that only release one episode so far and while I agree with them in most cases, I really do think that in the case of Osho No Ko this is a disservice because the first episode is pretty much a movie.

So, if a movie like "kaguya-sama first kiss" can have its own entry while being pretty much a concatenation of 4 episodes, I really do think that Oshi no Ko should have its own entry also. Hell, the first episode was better than Kaguya-sama movie regarding every movie department, because it felt like a unique and concise story, with a beginning and a conclusion (even that for now is only for the prologue).

I really don't like the idea of giving an anime with only one episode a score, but the first episode of Oshi no Ko for me is just that good, so, even though it might get worse in the next episodes, I really wanted to have a place to talk about only about the first episode and give it its proper attention or I will be forced to give a score to anime only based in the first episode (to give it justice), which I feel conflicted about.
dude that thing was a movie releaseed completely differently . This is an episode part of the show . How dumb can you be to ask separate entry ? Well it would be justifying if this was a pre-screening type movie like demon slayer or somet

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

Apr 16, 2023 7:50 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
The only problem with that idea is the fact that MAL would be an outlier by doing that and not in a good way. No Japanese website list the first episode as anything other than the first episode. Not a movie, not a special and not "episode 0". It's considered episode 1.

Kaguya-sama First Kiss is considered a movie in Japan, therefore is considered a movie on MAL. MAL is here to accurately catalog stuff, not add its own interpretations that don't match with what the creators had in mind.

I wish it was considered a movie or special in Japan, that way just in case the rest of the anime is a turd, it wouldn't run the long first episode...but that's not what they wanted in Japan so that's not what we're going to get on MAL.
Apr 16, 2023 7:51 PM
Jul 2021
lumiere_noir said:

Couldn't agree more for two reasons
1)AOT s4p3 got no1 and it was basically of the same length as onk ep
2) Gundam wfm has its prolouge as a different ep so onk should deserve the same
Apr 16, 2023 7:53 PM
Jul 2021
STSayeb said:
lumiere_noir said:

dude that thing was a movie releaseed completely differently . This is an episode part of the show . How dumb can you be to ask separate entry ? Well it would be justifying if this was a pre-screening type movie like demon slayer or somet

Guess what it was pre screened months ago in japan and weeks ago in germany
Apr 16, 2023 9:01 PM
Jan 2014
STSayeb said:
lumiere_noir said:

It was literally a pre screening theatrical movie...
Apr 16, 2023 9:03 PM
Jan 2014
I agree. This is clearly a prequel movie setting up the series, it even had its own theatrical release similar to what other series like Demon Slayer got (and those have entries). Tbh MAL is kind of inconsistent with what get separate entries and what don't. Like Sailor Moon Crystal S1 and S2 are the same entry, but Attack on Titan S4 is three different entries. Yeah idk.
Apr 16, 2023 9:13 PM

Oct 2022
No. Because that will an absolute mess if it's was own separate entry.

It's not marketed as a movie. It was a "special" screening. You know those pre release movie screening that they do sometimes? Yea, that exactly the same thing except it's a special screening of 1st episode for a tv series. No one want separate entry for KnY Ep 1, that's basically the same thing with what they did to Onk. When they announced, they said ep 1 is gonna be 90 min long, not movie.

Edit: I forget that KnY special screening have it's own entry, that's fucking dumb.
LuluThetkaApr 16, 2023 9:23 PM
Apr 16, 2023 9:15 PM

Jun 2022
No it doesn't need it, since the whole season will be a complete perfection of literature
Apr 16, 2023 9:34 PM
Apr 2013
I was confused, because it was listed as 11 episode series but the first episode was almost one and half hour. So I thought actually it'sa movie and not series but now it makes sense.
Apr 17, 2023 1:19 AM
Mar 2023
Riz_III said:

Demon slayer had the premiere that happened on cinemas separated from the season 3 and season 2, and it's literally just 3 episodes together. Oshi no ko had also a premiere in cinemas with the 1 episode, so it should be separated as well.
Apr 17, 2023 1:24 AM

Jun 2016
truth999 said:
Theo1899 said:

because it's movie length and a prequal

It was still released as the first episode of this series though. They didn't market it as something different. Also technically it's not a prequel. For something to be a prequel it has to come out after the series proper.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 17, 2023 1:27 AM

Apr 2016
And i want an ice cream OP.
Apr 17, 2023 1:32 AM
Feb 2021
lumiere_noir said:

I think it was genius decision from their part, it probably wouldn't have as much impact if it was divided my the usual 24 minute episode format. It kept us engaged and immersed until the very end which is why I think it had the weight that it did.

Overall I was really surprised by the whole experience. It deserves the all the attention it's getting.
Apr 17, 2023 1:37 AM

Jan 2017
Gui_silva23 said:
Demon slayer had the premiere that happened on cinemas separated from the season 3 and season 2, and it's literally just 3 episodes together. Oshi no ko had also a premiere in cinemas with the 1 episode, so it should be separated as well.

It's completely different cases.

In the case of Kimetsu no Yaiba , it was a complete Movie , marketed as one , but said to contains the "premiere" of the Episode 1 of the 3rd Season.
In the case of Oshi no Ko , it's Episode 01. It's how it was marketed , even if it had a way greater lenght than usual. That's all. It did got a pre-screen , just like a huge percent of Animes nowadays.

How the works are labelled and marketed is extremely important , especially since the whole database of MAL is based on the professionnal communications.
Alexioos95Apr 17, 2023 1:40 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Apr 17, 2023 4:56 AM
Apr 2023
lumiere_noir said:

What they should do for every anime like that(2+ episode concatenated), is to timestamp, devide and have it rated properly like a regular 25 min show or else just give weak before allowing people to vote.
Apr 17, 2023 4:58 AM
Apr 2023
shash_sama18 said:
Well I would like it to be the part of the series only so that it could remain as "THE GREATEST ANIME PREMIERE OF ALL TIME"
All people wonder why review bombing exist.
Apr 17, 2023 6:01 AM

May 2020
that's like saying Vinland saga's first 4 eps should also have a different entry seeing as it's the prologue to the 1st season

Apr 18, 2023 6:07 AM

Dec 2020
LuluThe3rd said:
No. Because that will an absolute mess if it's was own separate entry.

It's not marketed as a movie. It was a "special" screening. You know those pre release movie screening that they do sometimes? Yea, that exactly the same thing except it's a special screening of 1st episode for a tv series. No one want separate entry for KnY Ep 1, that's basically the same thing with what they did to Onk. When they announced, they said ep 1 is gonna be 90 min long, not movie.

Edit: I forget that KnY special screening have it's own entry, that's fucking dumb.
well cause that was kind of a movie . How come people find it this much confusing

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

Apr 18, 2023 7:14 AM
Mar 2020
Just because you want it to be a separate entry, so it can remain in the top highest rated anime, doesn’t give anyone enough reason to do so. It’s the same anime. As matter of fact it’d be way better if there was only one entry for each anime and not 50 entries per 50 season.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Apr 18, 2023 7:23 AM

Apr 2020
No because that's the first episode.
Apr 18, 2023 7:42 AM
Dec 2018
If the marketing team advertised it as prologue, it could have it's own entry. But they didn't. The first episode had a special limited release but it was never advertised as a separate movie or special. So it's just an extended first episode.
Apr 20, 2023 10:35 PM

Oct 2013
Alexioos95 said:
In the case of Kimetsu no Yaiba , it was a complete Movie , marketed as one , but said to contains the "premiere" of the Episode 1 of the 3rd Season.
This. Let's also not forget that Demon Slayer: To the Swordsmith Village offered extended version of said episode, which differed from the TV version. It did not differ a lot, sure, but still there were differences that could be easily noticed if one was to compare both versions.

In "Oshi no Ko" case, though, there were no differences between two versions from what I know. It was just the very first episode dedicated for the upcoming (back then) TV release of the anime. It had special and limited screening in cinemas; and also that happened to be almost 1.5h long (unlike the rest of episodes that're gonna be standard length ones). But it was still the first episode of TV series.

salarx said:
If the marketing team advertised it as prologue, it could have it's own entry. But they didn't. The first episode had a special limited release but it was never advertised as a separate movie or special. So it's just an extended first episode.
Aye, good point. I haven't tracked information about "Oshi no Ko" to be fair, not that much at least, but I didn't see any advertisement calling its first episode as a movie or as a special of some sort.
AdnashApr 20, 2023 10:39 PM
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
Apr 20, 2023 10:56 PM
Feb 2023
God these posts are really just low IQ.

What’s with this fandom? This is the second time a post like this is made…
Apr 21, 2023 1:20 AM

Sep 2018
Novalty said:
I completely agree

But its not going to happen tho, certainly not with how much this show is marketted. (even on here) So it will just result in a show having a vastly inflated rating as a result of a movie-tier ''first'' episode.
Its a pretty great marketting ploy tbh.

Maybe Witch from Mercury should have done the same with its prologue episode.
MAXproARYAN said:
2) Gundam wfm has its prolouge as a different ep so onk should deserve the same

Yup
“Ha ha, the synergy between my left and right hand made them feel scared.” Ye Xiu said.

More topics from this board

» Any reason why Idol became overwhelmingly popular? ( 1 2 )

Mattenan - May 31

56 by Shazid_02 »»
Yesterday, 12:38 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ricky16 - May 17, 2023

870 by FaethyvveIcye »»
Jun 2, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Best girl war oshi no ko

Praveen05 - Jun 14, 2023

5 by Zarutaku »»
Jun 2, 5:06 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usopp8000 - Mar 27, 2023

2681 by WSP__2 »»
May 24, 3:54 PM

Poll: » Would you like to marry Ai given the opportunity? (first ep spoilers)

Shizuna - May 6

40 by A_Yaze »»
May 11, 8:38 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.