Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 12, 2023 11:56 PM

Aug 2021
3 years ago, whenever you mention Jujutsu Kaisen in the shonen discourse, people will particularly praise the show for its strong female characters and it kinda made sense why people would do it. 

Now, I hardly see any praise for them. Majority of the people are saying Nobara gets shafted and sidelines just like female characters, is it true manga readers. 

Apr 13, 2023 12:16 AM
Feb 2021
I mean, people tend to hype up everything about new hit shōnen series. To be honest I’d say Gintama has the best female characters
Apr 13, 2023 12:19 AM
Jan 2023
It's true sadly. The manga is heavily critiqued nowadays, beacuse people have issues with the treatment of it's female characters.
Apr 2021
Been really into Danmachi lately, and I gotta say. Really great last of characters and and a crap load a female ones at that.

Apr 2016
But what about the next thing ? What if the next thing has the best female characters ? It's always the next thing that has better everything.

TheUnKilledOne said:
It's true sadly. The manga is heavily critiqued nowadays, beacuse people have issues with the treatment of it's female characters.
Oh i'm sure sales are crashing down because of that, lol.
Apr 13, 2023 12:22 AM
Jul 2020
weak women are the best women strong women have no appeal i like my women being the "i must protect her"princess type
Apr 13, 2023 12:38 AM

Jul 2015
The sad reality is that people pay attention to female characters design, not depths of their character and writing and authors decided to adapt, reducing most female characters to eye candy waifu baits.
There are still outliers tho.

Apr 13, 2023 12:44 AM
Jul 2022
There's some hypes for Maki and Nobara tho
Apr 13, 2023 12:52 AM
Apr 2022
It is depressing how the hype turned out for Nobara. She is still one of the greatest female shonen characters: she is a tomboy hybrid that still appreciates her feminity, and judges people based on their bullshit and not on their surface identity/gender. It’s just depressing to me, I freaking love her so much.
Apr 13, 2023 1:01 AM
Jun 2021
I guess many of the people who say that they are getting shafted are female themselves. I particularly don’t understand the whole logic behind female representation, I mean they are just fictional characters right ? And there are several characters that got shafted who were male too like nanami and todo or the principal who got killed after shibuya arc we hardly know anything about them aside from their abilities though we did got the principal’s backstory, I personally think they are not that relevant to the plot and it is not easy for the author to look after every character they make it’s pretty hard for them to do so and in a weekly serialisation it’s even harder. The women must know that not every character can’t be fleshed including the female cast.
Zolo_124Apr 13, 2023 11:06 PM
Apr 13, 2023 1:08 AM
Apr 2022
no..............
Apr 13, 2023 2:24 AM
Apr 2020
I wouldn't say "revolutionary" bit of a stretch. Nobara is so real tho 🙄
Apr 13, 2023 2:26 AM
Apr 2020
vitor03 said:
weak women are the best women strong women have no appeal i like my women being the "i must protect her"princess type

😨 bruh 💀💀💀💀💀💀💀
Apr 13, 2023 2:32 AM
Nov 2020
TheRealRouges said:
I mean, people tend to hype up everything about new hit shōnen series. To be honest I’d say Gintama has the best female characters

💯 percent agree with you there.
Apr 13, 2023 2:39 AM

Apr 2019
Yeah the way Akutami gets rid of Nobara is awful. One of the most wasted potential character in this manga. She doesn't even gets a proper send-off and her status is unknown for nearly a 100 chapters now. Maki on the other hand gets all the development so I won't say all female characters in the manga are ruined but it would be better if you don't expect anything good from Nobara. Her best moments have already been adapted in S1.
Apr 13, 2023 3:37 AM
Sep 2021
TheRealRouges said:

definitely agree
Apr 13, 2023 4:32 AM

Jun 2016
People claiming that JJK somehow has revolutionary female characters must also agree with Jennifer Lawrence's recent statements about how she made lead female action heroes a thing.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 13, 2023 4:46 AM
May 2022
Tell me one thing revolutionary about the women in this show. One thing. I love JJK but you are all hard tripping. I know shonen is renowned for this but they complete & utter stereotypes. Do ppl literally just say this because they can fight? Cus there are thousands of other shows like that.
Apr 13, 2023 5:46 AM

Nov 2022
Revolutionarily uninteresting? Maybe.
Apr 13, 2023 8:54 AM
Feb 2022
well we still on whit this stuff
Apr 13, 2023 11:20 AM
Jul 2021
Maki's still Badass
Apr 13, 2023 11:50 AM
Jan 2022
TheRealRouges said:

based, all of them were monster
Apr 13, 2023 1:12 PM
Jun 2019
vitor03 said:

You have a catgirl pfp...
Apr 13, 2023 1:42 PM
Aug 2021
TheRealRouges said:

Hard retweet on this one
Apr 13, 2023 2:23 PM
Apr 2020
vitor03 said:

Biggest L take I've seen on this site
Apr 13, 2023 2:48 PM
Feb 2021
Sanjay63773 said:
3 years ago, whenever you mention Jujutsu Kaisen in the shonen discourse, people will particularly praise the show for its strong female characters and it kinda made sense why people would do it. 

Now, I hardly see any praise for them. Majority of the people are saying Nobara gets shafted and sidelines just like female characters, is it true manga readers. 

There’s nothing revolutionary about these female characters though.

Gege did handle Nobara very badly though.
Apr 13, 2023 4:05 PM
Feb 2021
MAKI Zenin is bad ass in the manga she has a whole arc about her and more.
Apr 13, 2023 4:23 PM

Oct 2012
Dunno about revolutionary... but I love Nobara and Maki and despise the moaning big titted goodie two shoes that we usually get in shounen. Like Orihime in Bleach, which is a shounen with a fair range of female characters for all tastes, btw.
The reason I hate the fragile stereotype in shounen is because it usually doesn't fit the plot. Bleach, for example, if you're weak, you're dead meat. MHA, if you're weak, why tf would you want to be a hero? There's no place for dead weight in most plots but it's always the moaning girl. Don't men need help at some point? Why must it always be the girl being protected? To hell with that! Thank God for strong females and vulnerable males. Those exist as well and representation matters in anime just as much as it does in whatever else. I still haven't recovered from Midoriya's rescue OP... too many feels for both him and Ochaco and the whole gang tbh, k, I need a tissue.
[ Insert signature here ]
Apr 13, 2023 6:43 PM
Jun 2020
dohani said:
Dunno about revolutionary... but I love Nobara and Maki and despise the moaning big titted goodie two shoes that we usually get in shounen. Like Orihime in Bleach, which is a shounen with a fair range of female characters for all tastes, btw.
The reason I hate the fragile stereotype in shounen is because it usually doesn't fit the plot. Bleach, for example, if you're weak, you're dead meat. MHA, if you're weak, why tf would you want to be a hero? There's no place for dead weight in most plots but it's always the moaning girl. Don't men need help at some point? Why must it always be the girl being protected? To hell with that! Thank God for strong females and vulnerable males. Those exist as well and representation matters in anime just as much as it does in whatever else. I still haven't recovered from Midoriya's rescue OP... too many feels for both him and Ochaco and the whole gang tbh, k, I need a tissue.

You summed it up perfectly. When shit hits the fan the girls are nowhere to be seen, are the first to go down, or are held back in a F/F fight that takes forever and provides lots of fan service. They are designed for the male gaze because they know their audience, it’s in the genre name, but it would be extremely easy to have a story where the mc’s bff/rival/teacher is a woman no matter their personality or design.
Apr 13, 2023 6:46 PM

Apr 2022
That wasn't even true 3 years ago, and that will never be true.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Apr 13, 2023 9:39 PM
Aug 2018
Zolo_124 said:
I guess many of the people who say that they are getting shafted are female themselves. I particularly don’t understand the whole logic behind female representation, I mean they are just fictional characters right ? And there are several characters that got shafted who were male too like nanami and todo or the principal who got killed after shibuya arc we hardly know anything about them aside from their abilities though we did got the principal’s backstory, I personally think they are not that relevant to the plot and it is not easy for the author to look after every character they make it’s pretty hard for them to do so and in a weekly serialisation it’s even harder. The women must know that not every character can be fleshed including the female cast.

I understand the rep for diverse representation but I'm just here today it's funny cause Gege wanted to write off nanami during the fight with mahito but he kept him on due to the popularity.
Apr 14, 2023 5:36 AM
Oct 2020
TheRealRouges said:

I’d say bleach and maybe fairy tail. Btw nice profile picture we need more people to know about kingdom it’s top 3 manga
Apr 14, 2023 6:01 AM

Feb 2010
Sanjay63773 said:

Yes. I am at the no longer shocked just consistently let down phase of things with the mangaka right now. Especially since other Jump titles are giving me female characters with various personalities and goals without
. Like right now in the manga I wish there were some different choices right now to make it less predictable if nothing else
Apr 14, 2023 8:28 AM

May 2020
Black Lagoon's female cast>>>>

Apr 14, 2023 4:12 PM
Aug 2021
vitor03 said:

like you can get any
Apr 15, 2023 12:18 AM
Jun 2021
It still has the best female cast. I also don’t see how being sidelined or dying makes for a worse character.
Apr 15, 2023 11:42 AM
Jul 2015
vitor03 said:

now that's cringe (women aren't children, friend!)
Apr 15, 2023 11:54 AM
Jul 2015
thunderkitten13 said:
It is depressing how the hype turned out for Nobara. She is still one of the greatest female shonen characters: she is a tomboy hybrid that still appreciates her feminity, and judges people based on their bullshit and not on their surface identity/gender. It’s just depressing to me, I freaking love her so much.

2 things:

the strength of a character ≠ how good the character is. nobara STILL IS one of the best female characters in all of shounen full stop. She was NOT conflict avoidant, she had a great personality, and we saw her lose to some one (approx?) within or above her power level which we WOULD expect, because she was never broken or op and her ability was super old school and therefore held her back.

also, if you want to talk about top 5 female shounen characters that ARE OP, maki (and mai) are in the series, too. (and I don't even think you need a LOT of good female character, just a few REALLY good female characters like some of the ones we have now) Maki and mais story with their birth, how their goals contradict other, the time they spent in their clan, and the point maki is at now where she hasn't even been allowed the time to grieve. she is debatably, imo, THE single best female character in shounen. even if I was just the twins limiting her power plotline, that still puts her up there for me. and on top of that being female is integral to her character. top 5 easily, debatably top 1.
Apr 15, 2023 12:13 PM
Apr 2022
I am not arguing that there are other strong female characters in the show, and I didn’t even suggest Nobara was a good character just because she was strong. My point was her glory was squandered and wasted. The way she lost is not characteristic of her at all. First, she has already had experience fighting dangerous special grades up close at this point. In that fight, she HAD to keep her distance in order to win. The conditions of victory were already set once she created distance. Second, Goji is her teacher. He is the most powerful cursed user. There’s no way he wouldn’t train his students on the importance of not just rushing into battles head on. Third, the implications of her technique should’ve been addressed by Gojo and the other talented/knowledgeable cursed users as an extremely effective method of attacking cursed users like Sukuna, since it pierced the soul. The fact that her tech also relies on her direct connection means prolonged fights aid in her benefit, so there’s no reason she’s want to rush fights unless she’s being careless, which makes zero sense due to my first point. I hate what they did to her,m. She deserved a way better situation than what she is in now, and the way it happened is just ridiculous.
Apr 15, 2023 12:23 PM
Jul 2020
iamisaiah said:
vitor03 said:

no brother, women are women and i think u guys overestimate them too much
Apr 15, 2023 12:28 PM
Jul 2015
vitor03 said:
iamisaiah said:

not gonna start a discussion on gender with you on an anime forum, so I'll explain this once, as this is something I ALSO had to confront and deal with, especially during my teenage/young adult years entering into my 20s. Assigning all the dogshit characteristics a human being can have like weakness, inability to emotionally regulate, inability to stand up for yourself, being conflict avoidant, being more emotional and less capable of rationality, etc... to femininity and women, and all the good traits like confidence, assertiveness, decisiveness, responsibility, acting on their beliefs, etc... to masculinity and men, says something about YOU, and the way YOU were raised and socialized around women, and the area YOU live or grew up in, and says NOTHING about the biological reality or social categorization and stigmatization of gender.
Apr 15, 2023 12:34 PM
Jul 2015
thunderkitten13 said:
I am not arguing that there are other strong female characters in the show, and I didn’t even suggest Nobara was a good character just because she was strong. My point was her glory was squandered and wasted. The way she lost is not characteristic of her at all. First, she has already had experience fighting dangerous special grades up close at this point. In that fight, she HAD to keep her distance in order to win. The conditions of victory were already set once she created distance. Second, Goji is her teacher. He is the most powerful cursed user. There’s no way he wouldn’t train his students on the importance of not just rushing into battles head on. Third, the implications of her technique should’ve been addressed by Gojo and the other talented/knowledgeable cursed users as an extremely effective method of attacking cursed users like Sukuna, since it pierced the soul. The fact that her tech also relies on her direct connection means prolonged fights aid in her benefit, so there’s no reason she’s want to rush fights unless she’s being careless, which makes zero sense due to my first point. I hate what they did to her,m. She deserved a way better situation than what she is in now, and the way it happened is just ridiculous.

oh, then I misunderstood your point, and I apologize. Kind of a based take tbh. I'd have to reread that fight in order to accurately, 100% point out if I agree or disagree with the actual details and intricacies of if she should have won/expanded her technique/been educated in a different way. I misunderstood your point to be more about the original point I made where strong female character = good female character. I apologize, haha. I'd have loved to see her potential utilized ina different way or her develop a new technique or a new application of her existing technique, but I'm also fairly understanding of her death, as I don't think she was intended or even needed to be able to compete late game with Yuuji and megumis (to be clear, I'd have LIKED to see her stick around and compete with our best bois, but I don't necessarily need her to). She might have instead been a character to show the humanity of sorcerers, the restrictions old ways of jujutsu might place on sorcerers, and also unironically might have existed partially to contribute to Yuujis PTSD.
Apr 15, 2023 12:48 PM
Jun 2022
well Nobara rn, yeah. But damn Maki is killing it.
Apr 15, 2023 12:51 PM
Jul 2020
iamisaiah said:
vitor03 said:

not gonna start a discussion on gender with you on an anime forum, so I'll explain this once, as this is something I ALSO had to confront and deal with, especially during my teenage/young adult years entering into my 20s. Assigning all the dogshit characteristics a human being can have like weakness, inability to emotionally regulate, inability to stand up for yourself, being conflict avoidant, being more emotional and less capable of rationality, etc... to femininity and women, and all the good traits like confidence, assertiveness, decisiveness, responsibility, acting on their beliefs, etc... to masculinity and men, says something about YOU, and the way YOU were raised and socialized around women, and the area YOU live or grew up in, and says NOTHING about the biological reality or social categorization and stigmatization of gender.

well atleast u didnt call me a incel thanks for that,and also like i said u overestimate them too much
vitor03Apr 15, 2023 1:23 PM
Apr 16, 2023 9:17 AM
Mar 2022
Sanjay63773 said:

thats because their bland af. go watch black lagoon for some real female characters
Apr 16, 2023 9:20 AM

Sep 2020
There was nothing "revolutionary" about them, they were just written at the same level as the rest of the cast... And since it's Jujutsu Kaisen that level isn't even that high.
Apr 17, 2023 2:03 AM
Jun 2021
I don’t like how people say that a writer should write a character that is female then contradict themselves . Now if you are asking for a character then expect that character to go through hardships. I personally don’t like perfect characters whether male or female, what I like is a character that goes through hardships to improve itself rather than being perfect at everything. Now if a character is killed and it’s a female and the character that kills that certain character is a male the whole community would call the author a misogynist but they forget that a character can be killed or kill and it can be either male or a female. When they say that authors should write “characters that are female” rather than a “ female character” and say that it’s the sexism against the whole female community when the female character written is killed or is mostly sidelined, in my opinion contradicts the whole sentence. If you want a character that is female I think we should expect them to go through every fucked up shit or even killed, I know it’s jarring to see but if the plot demands development of the character then you will get it.
Zolo_124Apr 17, 2023 3:05 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

_MushiRock11_ - Sep 19, 2020

496 by _Murgi33 »»
Yesterday, 5:02 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

455 by Agathusian »»
May 25, 5:46 AM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ringare - Oct 30, 2020

293 by Phinyxia »»
May 24, 8:40 PM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2020

332 by Phinyxia »»
May 24, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2020

277 by Phinyxia »»
May 24, 7:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.