Forums

borderline bl / bl subtext anime / homoerotic undertones

New
Apr 11, 2023 4:19 AM
Dec 2022
no horror or slice of life. no bxg pairings 
Apr 11, 2023 6:21 AM
Dec 2022

thanks, are there no latest?? No.6 is my favorite and terra e, can't watch it because the artstyle design
Apr 11, 2023 9:05 AM

Aug 2022
Promare is verrrry nearly text. Like, so extremely close to text it may as well be text, but it's never quite explicit.

SK8 the Infinity definitely fits here; it's gay enough for a few of the voice actors to ship their characters together, so...yeah. XD

Link Click is a bit ambiguous, but both their actions (especially those during the ending to episode 2) and the official art definitely carry homoromantic subtext.

Midnight Occult Civil Servants is also more ambiguous, and trying to determine the exact gender identity of an androgynous trickster god is difficult, but the subtext is definitely there.

Ace Attorney is better in its original format (it's a VN series), but, well, there's a reason everyone calls it the "gay lawyer game/anime" despite nothing ever being quite confirmed.

EDIT: Ah, I see that someone ninja'd me with SK∞. XD
Apr 11, 2023 11:04 AM

Apr 2023
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37208/Mo_Dao_Zu_Shi?q=mo%20dao&cat=anime the novel is not subtext, but its adaptions are. 

https://myanimelist.net/anime/7588/Saraiya_Goyou been awhile since i saw this one but that was the vibe i got.
Apr 11, 2023 11:08 AM
Apr 11, 2023 11:11 AM
Dec 2022
CatgirlFrostmoon said:
Promare is verrrry nearly text. Like, so extremely close to text it may as well be text, but it's never quite explicit.

SK8 the Infinity definitely fits here; it's gay enough for a few of the voice actors to ship their characters together, so...yeah. XD

Link Click is a bit ambiguous, but both their actions (especially those during the ending to episode 2) and the official art definitely carry homoromantic subtext.

Midnight Occult Civil Servants is also more ambiguous, and trying to determine the exact gender identity of an androgynous trickster god is difficult, but the subtext is definitely there.

Ace Attorney is better in its original format (it's a VN series), but, well, there's a reason everyone calls it the "gay lawyer game/anime" despite nothing ever being quite confirmed.

EDIT: Ah, I see that someone ninja'd me with SK∞. XD

oh promare is in my list.. maybe this is a sign to watch it really πŸ˜‚ as well as midnight occult civil servants. link click is wayyyy rotting in my library because i can't stand chinese dub, i'm finding any japanese dub but can't. sk8 is my first sports anime, every sports anime is just fruity so.. but ace attorney, i'll add it. if you have more please do let me know. thanks!
Apr 11, 2023 11:14 AM
Dec 2022

that's nice, though i watched all of that. yuukoku no moriarty is just so.. argh that hits the feels. 😩 anyways free is a given, every sports anime is lol, brave 10 is in my library for months, but can't bring myself to watch because of the vibes or the artstyle. please do let me know if you have more. thanks!
Apr 11, 2023 11:18 AM
Dec 2022
UntamedHero said:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37208/Mo_Dao_Zu_Shi?q=mo%20dao&cat=anime the novel is not subtext, but its adaptions are. 

https://myanimelist.net/anime/7588/Saraiya_Goyou been awhile since i saw this one but that was the vibe i got.

i think every chinese anime is just subtext, because of the censorship (like what happened to heaven's official blessing too) but yeah it's a given. the reason i don't watch them is because i read the manga and can't stand chinese dubs. though i spent sweat and tears just to find a japanese dub for mo dao zu shi last last year haha. that anime introduced me to chinese manhuas. ❀️ about house of five leaves, i think the woman is a potential love interest (idk, i just heard it) but pretty much didn't get to be canon but still, a love interest so no. i remember skimming through the manga though. if you have more please let me know. thanks.
Apr 11, 2023 2:56 PM

Aug 2022
briarofmaharlika said:
oh promare is in my list.. maybe this is a sign to watch it really πŸ˜‚ as well as midnight occult civil servants. link click is wayyyy rotting in my library because i can't stand chinese dub, i'm finding any japanese dub but can't. sk8 is my first sports anime, every sports anime is just fruity so.. but ace attorney, i'll add it. if you have more please do let me know. thanks!
Mhm...I know Link Click has a Japanese dub, but I've got no idea where it's hiding, sadly. D: The English dub is pretty good if you're up for that; it's over on Crunchyroll. :3

The Morose Mononokean, Yowamushi Pedal (lol sporps anime), and Tiger & Bunny may also fit what you're looking for, though they're a bit less obviously/overtly queer as the first five I brought up. (Well, less BL-y. Tiger & Bunny actually has a canon nonbinary character within the supporting cast.) That's about all I can think of, here; the rest of my "subtextually queer" selection is girls' love (+ one anime with a side character who's heavily implied to be trans).

I'm glad I've been able to help; I've enjoyed all of these anime a good bit, so I hope they're to your taste, too. :)
Apr 11, 2023 3:48 PM

Aug 2012
A few others I thought of:

Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist
Kyou kara Maou
Pandora Hearts & Vanitas no Karte (same creator)
Starmyu

Edit: Also, Brave 10 is worth watching for Kamanosuki Yuri alone (best character and he's totally in love with Saizo lol). I couldn't tell if he was a girl or guy for the longest time. x'D 
duchessliz87Apr 11, 2023 3:56 PM
Apr 11, 2023 8:03 PM
Dec 2022
[/quote]
CatgirlFrostmoon said:
briarofmaharlika said:
Mhm...I know Link Click has a Japanese dub, but I've got no idea where it's hiding, sadly. D: The English dub is pretty good if you're up for that; it's over on Crunchyroll. :3

The Morose Mononokean, Yowamushi Pedal (lol sporps anime), and Tiger & Bunny may also fit what you're looking for, though they're a bit less obviously/overtly queer as the first five I brought up. (Well, less BL-y. Tiger & Bunny actually has a canon nonbinary character within the supporting cast.) That's about all I can think of, here; the rest of my "subtextually queer" selection is girls' love (+ one anime with a side character who's heavily implied to be trans).

I'm glad I've been able to help; I've enjoyed all of these anime a good bit, so I hope they're to your taste, too. :)

i watched morose mononokean last year and the subtext there is only subtle true, tiger and bunny too. thanks for giving recoms man.
Apr 11, 2023 8:09 PM
Dec 2022
duchessliz87 said:
A few others I thought of:

Makai Ouji: Devils and Realist
Kyou kara Maou
Pandora Hearts & Vanitas no Karte (same creator)
Starmyu

Edit: Also, Brave 10 is worth watching for Kamanosuki Yuri alone (best character and he's totally in love with Saizo lol). I couldn't tell if he was a girl or guy for the longest time. x'D 

oh my makai ouji, i finished it last yr too. kyou kara maou i regret reading it in manga when there's an anime 😬 finished the manga. anything by mochizuki jun makes you rage because they either have love interest or fiancee, i remembered being pissed on vanitas no carte because my otp is jeannexdomi & noexvanitas, they literally have more chemistry than their respective partners 😩 anyways starmryu is in my list, ok i'll check brave 10 now. wish me luck πŸ˜…
Apr 12, 2023 1:44 PM

Feb 2022
Sarazanmai

This have BL subtext
[/url]
Apr 13, 2023 6:23 AM
Aug 2013
Mo dao zu shi
Hitorijime my hero
Shinsekai yori
One piece (ivankov & bon clay)
Sarazanmai (the 2 police guys)
No.6

Berserk (griffith was totally gay for guts)

Jojo's (some people say jojo's characters are gay, but I think only dio is)
AnimeDownUnderApr 13, 2023 6:27 AM
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 13, 2023 12:10 PM

Jan 2008
Any male idol and it's got loads of subtext in it
Tiger & Bunny has a tonne of doujinishi covering the main characters
You could read subtext in Run with the Wind
Cute High Defence Club doesn't explicitely state a couple but it's fairly blatant in it's implication
Apr 13, 2023 12:41 PM
Niyama Forever

Dec 2021
Gankutsuou is probably my favorite BL subtext anime and is worth watching for the aesthetic alone πŸ’–
Apr 14, 2023 3:14 AM
Dec 2022
Huskyhulk said:
Sarazanmai

This have BL subtext

i'm watching this now πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ i'm weirded out of the plot πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ please tell me what ep it gets better to keep me goin
Apr 14, 2023 3:16 AM
Dec 2022
AnimeDownUnder said:
Mo dao zu shi
Hitorijime my hero
Shinsekai yori
One piece (ivankov & bon clay)
Sarazanmai (the 2 police guys)
No.6

Berserk (griffith was totally gay for guts)

Jojo's (some people say jojo's characters are gay, but I think only dio is)

watched all of that (hitorijime my hero is a shounen ai, not really subtext), and damn griffith has the most twisted love i've ever seen

i wanna watch jojo's so baad. but idk which has gf out of them, and which are the shipping pairs. πŸ˜… mind if you tell me some

any more???
Apr 14, 2023 3:17 AM
Dec 2022
maxry said:
Gankutsuou is probably my favorite BL subtext anime and is worth watching for the aesthetic alone πŸ’–

but i checked the manga, it said that the count has a love interest...
Apr 14, 2023 7:03 PM
Dec 2017
maybe godchild by kaori yuki

Apr 15, 2023 10:48 PM
Dec 2022
Crow_Black said:

it has an anime???
Apr 15, 2023 11:06 PM
Dec 2017
briarofmaharlika said:
Crow_Black said:

it has an anime???
audio drama but sadly no not yet

Apr 18, 2023 2:36 AM

Feb 2022
briarofmaharlika said:
Huskyhulk said:
Sarazanmai

This have BL subtext

i'm watching this now πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ i'm weirded out of the plot πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ please tell me what ep it gets better to keep me goin
This is Ikuhara work, ofcourse this has to be unique.
You can drop it if you don't like the early ep because it's premise stays mostly the same. This have lot of symbolism and in the end the episodes they show story of villains and that was great too.
[/url]
Yesterday, 9:33 PM
Nov 2022
Id argue it’s just “BL subtext” Domi is very much not just straight imo lol
Yesterday, 9:34 PM
Nov 2022
@duchessliz87 from what I’ve heard, Moriarty has canon queer characters actually πŸ˜‚
Yesterday, 9:34 PM
Nov 2022
@duchessliz87 from what I’ve heard, Moriarty has canon queer characters actually πŸ˜‚
Today, 12:32 AM

Sep 2021
Yowamushi Pedal (as you know, sports shows are fruity, but this one has a lot of suspiciously intimate pairings)
10 hours ago

Feb 2024
Reply to Khashishi
Yowamushi Pedal (as you know, sports shows are fruity, but this one has a lot of suspiciously intimate pairings)
@Khashishi

this is a one year odl thread

More topics from this board

» Recommendations Spam

Lukage_ - 2 hours ago

1 by VampireLord1024 »»
44 minutes ago

» Looking for fun ecchi anime

rohan121 - Aug 21

22 by Merve2Love »»
2 hours ago

» bug related anime

ConsRg__ - 7 hours ago

4 by Khashishi »»
3 hours ago

» Recommend a masterpiece I haven't seen yet

phantom346 - Sep 27

23 by UberBat »»
4 hours ago

» most depressing anime youve watched

XDmyst - Sep 29

20 by M2zC »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.