Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 16, 2007 1:07 PM

May 2007
One of my favorite things about Utena are the unique and constantly developing characters.
But which one is your absolute favorite?
Vote and post who and why!

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 19, 2007 5:36 PM

Sep 2007
My favourite one is Nanami Kiryuu... I really enjoy her! XD She's SO similar to me in the way she loves... And I really like her personal incest drama and the way she takes her relationships... Oh, I like Utena Tenjou too. I act like her at some points, and she is a very interesting character! /o/

Avatar/sign edited by taterhead, because he's cool. Grazie! ♥
Oct 25, 2007 10:11 AM
Oct 2007
My vote goes to Touga. He evolves more than anyone else in this show and I was truly cheering for him in the end.

Juri comes tied with Utena for second place though.
Nov 11, 2007 9:42 AM

Nov 2007
I like Touga. He has the charming boy smile to him and that long red hair. You want SO much to believe that he is such a good guy but he is really a snake in the grass that knows full well whats going on and does not care as long as in the end it beneifits him.

Isn't he just dreamy ~
Dec 26, 2007 6:25 PM

Jun 2007
Juri. She's so strong and noble, and there's something attractive about her steadfast refusal to believe in miracles. She really deserves a girl who's less of an evil bitch than Shiori.
Jan 10, 2008 5:12 PM

Jan 2008
The Shadow Girls were the only ones to consistently make sense :D They were the anchor for the whole series. Everyone else tended towards simple characterizations. The only real character development was Juri, Anthy & (perhaps) Utena (she left but her change is implied). Everyone else is pretty much the same at the end as they were at the beginning.
Mar 14, 2008 10:32 PM

Feb 2008
My vote goes to Miki. I honestly think he is the only character to be aware of what's going on within Ohtori academy. Aside from his "interesting" relationship with his sister [which is debatable], he is the only duelist thats not crooked, crazy, and sleeping with someone for power. :::cough::: touga :::cough:::
Mar 21, 2008 7:30 PM
Aug 2007
I think the main three (Utena, Anthy, and Akio) are some of the best presented characters in anime. Ultimately, Utena is my favorite overall, but Akio will always be my favorite villain, whereas Anthy always has a special place in my heart.

I'm fond of Juri and Nanami as well, but most of the rest of the characters didn't quite strike a chord with me. With the exception of Touga and Saionji, I don't actively dislike the rest of the cast (I really don't particularly like Touga or Saionji), but at the same time, they just didn't really speak to me.
Apr 4, 2008 6:09 PM

Mar 2008
My vote went to our lovely and noble heroine Utena. I saw the series
years ago and loved it,but ive just finished it recently (anime wasn't so readly
avalible then) Now i love it even more!! I kinda related to utena so i think thats
why i liked the character ^.^

Apr 19, 2008 10:13 AM

Apr 2008
Miki *___* I love him, and how he play the piano *___*

Apr 19, 2008 5:21 PM

Sep 2007
my vote goes to utena, i just loved how she strove to so noble and prince-like, and I also like the fact that she stumbles before realizing her potential, it made the finale that much more touching.
Juri is my second favourite, because she is so strong emotionally to be able to deal with Shori and her taunting. I also like her cool headed attitude that hides her broken heart, it makes her that much stronger in my eyes.
Apr 23, 2008 8:12 AM

Apr 2008
I have quite a number of favorite characters, but the ones that stand out the most for me are the Shadow Girls. Second place goes to Utena and Touga.

Jul 14, 2008 6:48 AM

Jul 2008
I very much liked the main triangle [Utena, Anthy, and Akio], but Anthy is my definite favourite. When I began the anime, which was my first introduction to the story, I started out disliking her - she was so...annoying, because she had such a hard time asserting herself.

I eventually realised just how deliberate it was and how her careful manipulations kept the Duels going. Akio needs her - but while she goes along with it, she doesn't always seem to necessarily need him. She's an incredibly strong character and you can really see her depth in the last few episodes, which is what sealed it for me.
Aug 2, 2008 6:41 PM

Jul 2008
Okay so this is a /really/ hard choice for me because I love Utena, Miki, and Kozue very very much... but I guess I have to go for Kozue because she was just such an interesting character. @__@ And I just love femdom girls.
Aug 6, 2008 7:01 PM

Mar 2008
This is probably one of the few manga/anime series of which I don't have a favorite character. It's easier for me to make a list of SKU characters that would NOT ever be a candidate for my favorite:

Ohtori Akio
Kiryuu Touga
Kiryuu Nanami
Tsuchiya Ruka
Mikage Souji
Kaoru Kozue
Takatsuki Shiori
Tsuwabuki Mitsuru
Dios
Chuchu
Aug 25, 2008 11:10 AM

Aug 2008
It certainly is difficult to choose a favorite character in this series, mainly because many of the characters have such undersirable traits that eventually lead to their downfall, I'm used to basiung a character on their depth and their ideal personality traits, but the fact that so many of them are flawed presents a difficukt choice. I voted for the Shadow Girls, because they are amazingly subtle, constant, funny, and one big logic puzzle, but in terms of an individual character, I would have to say one of the following:

Juri
Akio
or Utena.

I relate a lot to Juri, mainly because she's been used and treated poorly by people important to her, but the fact that she's become stronger throughout the series also begins to show her anger buried underneath her personality, which is really interesting to watch as the series progresses.

Akio seems to be a characteristic constant in the series, but in the anime, the way the watcher finds out more about him, he tends to grow like a tree, sticking himself in every possible situation and doing well at not letting anyone know about it.

Utena...is just Utena. Strong-hearted, kind, and with a sort of naive determination at the beginning. The way she becomes more wise, intelligent, and passionate throughout the series is great to watch.
Oct 23, 2008 12:59 PM
Aug 2008
I would have to say Juri, but this is based on how she first appears (very strong and quite intimidating) but is later revealed to be quite weak and sensitive. I can also empathise with her as i have had a friend betray me (though not in the same way that Shiori did but betrayal is betrayal)

On the other hand, I also aspire to and love the strong heroine. Utena is an amazing heroine, most heroines can be stuck up or too kinda 'I am the main character and no one else can get any screen time' but Utena seems to be very down to earth and innocent.

ps. I voted for Juri :D
Oct 28, 2008 7:00 PM

Oct 2007
Anthy. Very rarely can I pick a "number one favorite" of anything (I have to be allowed a "top five" or so), but Anthy is my absolute favorite character of all-time, bar none.
May 20, 2009 8:36 AM

Aug 2007
Mikage. Very few times do I manage to both admire, relate and pity a character at the same time. The Nemuro/Mikage schism is absolutely fascinating and utterly insane.

And it's interesting that no one has voted for Dios
Aug 31, 2009 3:05 AM

Jun 2009
I like all the characters for different reasons, but if I had to pick a favorite: Mikage, followed closely by Utena.
Sep 22, 2009 5:55 PM
Nov 2007
It is hard for me to decide between Miki and Mikage. I still haven't voted because I can't decide for sure yet.
Jun 6, 2010 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
Utena and Juri are the ones that I could relate to the most, but my favorite is Nanami, because she added comedy to the series with her failed schemes that actually ended up making her the laughing-stock of the school, and who didn't love the Curry and Cowbell episodes?

She's also a pretty interesting, multi-layered and one of the best developed characters in the series, if we just take a look at how she started from a shallow, sheltered girl whose life revolved around her brother to someone who understood the hard way how the world worked. Tsuwabuki, the lackey, is a close second :D
removed-userJun 6, 2010 10:19 AM
Jun 8, 2010 10:36 AM

Feb 2010
Mikage... Utena.. or Touga....

Only series where its almost impossible for me to choose!!

BUT... >_>

I ultimately chose Touga. I love his character arc....

1) bad boy/head of the school ----> 2)depressed shut-in ----> 3)Akio's tool for manipulation ----> 4)Sincere and inlove with Utena.

Ahhh. Such a good show... so complex in it's characters and their journeys.
MusashiRoseJun 11, 2010 2:55 PM
Aug 12, 2010 11:59 PM

Jun 2008
All the female characters in Utena are great, but I have a predilection for Anthy (especially in the second half of the anime). I adore how she seems all nice and weak, but she actually has a dark, mysterious side.
I also love Juri, Nanami, Wakaba, Utena (only at the beginning), & the Shadow Girls.

As for the guys... I hate them all. Utena has the worst male cast I've ever seen, period.

watching, waiting, commiserating
Aug 13, 2010 7:33 AM

Jan 2010
RenaPsychoKiller said:
All the female characters in Utena are great, but I have a predilection for Anthy (especially in the second half of the anime). I adore how she seems all nice and weak, but she actually has a dark, mysterious side.
I also love Juri, Nanami, Wakaba, Utena (only at the beginning), & the Shadow Girls.

As for the guys... I hate them all. Utena has the worst male cast I've ever seen, period.
Well said, I agree with everything. I certainly think Anthy was the most interesting character in this anime, that the males were all bastards and that the shadow girls are pure win.
Aug 13, 2010 8:08 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Utena was by far my favorite. It is not often I like the main character the best (and it seems less and less today). She just had a lot of characteristics I could identify with and found admirable. She was strong and independent and stood up for what she believed in, but was still in many ways naive.

I could really relate her relationship with Anthy in many ways with my own best friend. My best friend was very popular with boys but often had hard time telling them no, when she was not interested. She also had massive skills at manipulating them. Once she got a guy to buy a dress for her, for a date later that night with another guy! Later, when things were really bad for her and some personal problems she never talked came out I really felt like Utena in the scene with her and Anthy on the ledge just about to fall off. Never in my life had I felt so naive and upset for not realizing it sooner to help.
Aug 19, 2010 11:44 PM

Feb 2010
Brand said:
It is not often I like the main character the best (and it seems less and less today).

So true.....
Sep 2, 2012 5:20 PM

Apr 2011
I love all of them except Ruka. And I couldn't possibly choose between Utena and Anthy so I can't bring myself to vote for either of them and not the other. :(

nexist418 said:
Everyone else is pretty much the same at the end as they were at the beginning.

Not... really. The only person who doesn't change at all is Akio.
Oct 12, 2012 12:48 AM

Sep 2012
My favourite is Utena :)
It's strange to see a strong and brave woman as a main character I think. Also Utena expresses an enviable determination and shows a full personality of values. All this even being aware of reality.

That is because of Utena is one of my favourites anime characters.
Oct 27, 2012 3:25 PM

Jun 2009
Juri... she gives me the feels.
Also Utena, because she's clearly not a perfect heroine or a princely prince in my eyes, but she has real problems of her own that she faces.

And. Um. I know everyone hates Akio but, shit man, I love him as a "villain", quotations marks because everything in this series is ambiguous.
Nov 11, 2012 4:18 AM

Nov 2012
My favorite would have to be Juri, probably the deepest character in the series. Utena's a close second.
Sep 2, 2013 7:27 AM

Sep 2013
I have many favorites in Utena,
Juri,Akio,Dios,Utena,Anthy,Touga are the main,
I think they are cool and they have your onw personality.
"Like the rain which falls in this world,"
"The tears also fall in my heart."
"What is it for, this sadness which creeps into my heart?"
"What is this sadness for?"
"What is this sadness for?"
Nov 21, 2013 5:33 PM

Jan 2010
Shadow Girls, lol. They're funny.
Dec 22, 2013 6:32 PM
Nov 2012
This is such a tough one with this show. I love Utena so much, but I also have a really soft spot for Nanami. Normally I don't like characters like Nanami, but for some reason I found her reallly enjoyable in this show. Juri and Anthy are also up there with my favorites too. Gosh, so many good characters!
Sep 14, 2016 3:52 AM

Apr 2013
This post beautifully summarises why Nanami is not only my favourite character in Revolutionary Girl Utena, but in all of fiction.

Her development was fantastic to watch, and I absolutely love the distorted sense of innocence she holds onto for much of the series. I love her shallowness, and also her shallow understanding of the world around her. I love how she deals with strong feelings of alienation, and I love how all of this ultimately gives way to painful realisations, shattered illusions, harsh experience, and loss of innocence. All of this happens in the background when compared to the prominence of Utena and Anthy's stories, but we see how Nanami's experiences have shaped her into a far more grounded, tolerant, realistic, and ultimately more wholesome person.

The thing is, her growth is so subtle that you probably wouldn't catch very much of it if you weren't looking for it. But you can see it in the way she interacts with Utena and the other members of the council. I don't think any other character in Revolutionary Girl Utena goes through as much as Nanami or changes as much as her. You can see all the different life crises she suffers through in each Nanami episode, and you can see how hard she tries and how hard she falls. The egg episode, in particular, is everything I love about her character. I love her superficiality and I love her depth. I had already grown to like her in the first 5 episodes despite not getting off on the wrong foot. She quickly grew on me.

Oddly enough, the best point of comparison I can make is either Quinn Morgendorffer from Daria, a non-anime or Hikigaya Hachiman from Oregairu. Her feelings of loneliness and alienation are so emotionally in tune with Hachiman at the start of the series, and I can even imagine Hachiman turning out the same way if he were female and had been born into a more privileged family and lifestyle. The most potent similarity, I think, is in the way they interact with other characters. Quinn isn't so similar in the beginning, but it's the way her arc resolves that makes them similar.

I also wrote about how much I loved the Nanami episodes and why I think they are so important to Revolutionary Girl Utena's narrative.

Can we get a spin-off titled Revolutionary Girl Nanami already? It was bad enough that they didn't even include her in the film beyond that cow cameo.
FallSep 14, 2016 4:12 AM
Feb 23, 2017 1:32 AM

Feb 2016
I like Utena the most.She is a strong,princ-like and loveable character.I actually really like strong womens in Anime and she is definitely one.Sometimes she is a little bit naive but still realistic.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Jan 3, 2021 2:26 AM
Jul 2018
Utena is my favorite character in the series. I usually end up loving the main in the shows that I watch - I don't know why exactly, though it may be due to not being able to get into a series without connecting somehow with the main in some way.

Utena is strong, confident, and (to a degree) knows who she wants to be, which is something that I find admirable. Also, I've always wanted pink hair. Love that pink hair.
Feb 7, 2021 9:00 AM
Jul 2018
Hmm... I've been pretty confused about it lately, actually. Normally, I'd say Touga, cause he's always been my favourite, and despite my uncertainties I voted for him in this poll, but lately I've been having some doubts... Like, I appreciate Touga's character, he's someone fixated on power, because only when he has absolute power will no one be able to touch him, or at least that's what he thinks. His mature and pragmatic personality is somewhat of a facade, and he acts that way so that he can establish and maintain control over situations and people. He believes that if he doesn't play an active role in his life and affairs, it can all easily be taken away. He's not secure in his position, so to speak, that's why he craves power. But when I think of other characters like Juri, Mikage or Anthy who have a much grander scope, especially the last two, I feel like Touga isn't interesting enough to consider my ultimate favourite. But then when I think of installing one of them as my favourite, it feels off. I like most other characters, too, but not enough to consider them a favourite. Soooo, I'll settle with Touga as my favourite for the time being.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Utena Symbolism~

Elysiana - Aug 28, 2008

6 by rorolovesducks »»
Apr 4, 2017 9:31 AM

» Original 'Shoujo Kakumei Utena' manga?

Racchan - Oct 19, 2007

8 by Ricequake »»
Jul 13, 2014 10:34 PM

» Under appreciated?

psycho_doll - Oct 23, 2008

6 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Oct 28, 2010 10:37 AM

Poll: » What is your favorite arc in Shoujo Kakumei Utena TV Series?

MusashiRose - Jun 8, 2010

2 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Oct 28, 2010 10:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.