Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
You like deku?
Feb 12, 2023 12:09 AM
May 2021
From the current shonen generation shonen protagonist's is deku your favourite?

Six seasons went by but I still find him bland uninteresting character. I feel disappointing in his character growth.
My favourite mc have to be yuji from jjk and senku from dr. Stone and hinata from haikyuu from the current shonen animes.

This is not a shit post or any kind of bait. I do like mha.
Sand_bagFeb 12, 2023 12:24 AM
Feb 12, 2023 12:25 AM

Sep 2021
not really, I felt neutral about Deku from the start and as seasons went on I've kinda started disliking him, kinda like you said I just find him bland and kinda standard and his character growth wasn't something that pulled me back

to be honest I don't feel too strongly about any mc from current shonen out there but I did like Gabimaru from Jigokuraku and Denji
Feb 12, 2023 12:27 AM
May 2022
Deku does have that Superman/Captain America resolve to do good by people, but Dark Hero arc Deku seems to have all that but a bit more mature and he seems to have grown a lot since Season 1 where he was reckless in his attempts to help others
I like a character with a strong resolve but almost everyone in MHA has that thing so it doesn't really make Deku seem any special if I'm being honest
I think it's going to be exciting to see where they are headed with the character since now he doesn't have the backing of all his friends and has to fight through a city that's fallen into darkness.
So I think Deku's OK but might actually shine through with this arc. especially excited to see how he'll handle Shigiraki
Feb 12, 2023 12:55 AM
Dec 2021
Nope not at all. Its similar to Demon slayer in a sense, the main character is incredibly weak and uninteresting but surrounded by some interesting side characters with a pretty good plot too.

Deku and most of his classmates are easily the weakest parts of the show.
Feb 12, 2023 1:04 AM
Apr 2021
Neutral like everybody else.Goodboi mc
Feb 12, 2023 1:12 AM

Nov 2020
I might be the exception then, because even tho I like or sympathize with the shonen protagonists, they are usually not my favourite at all. But in Midoriya's case, after rewatching the series, he is my favourite now.

I really appreciate his kind, helpful, super shy personality that he had, even though that's not really a match to my favourites from before - I usually like the hot headed-joking around-but can be super serious at times characters like Rukia or Renji from Bleach for istance.
I also found him really inspiring and an interesting character. Okay, he has parents, okay, he didn't had any "serious" trauma as a kid like Naruto, Ichigo etc. But after he got OFA, he got a big responsibility, his body is/was not that strong, so he trains a lot to be able to use it better, he also tries to perform well at school too. I know there are a lot of memes out there like "eat this" and bam, he has power, but I feel like he actually works harder/went through a lot emotionally due to his sensitive personality than most people think.
He also got character development before in my opinion, he was super shy and kinda antisocial, but all his classmates see him as a role model now and cares about him, he made a lot of friends - way before this arc, he handles situations better in fights too. I like the whole class 1a dynamics.

And yeah, his responsibility is crazy, like we are able to see it more and more now. He got the power from the number 1 hero - his role model, who "retired", then the whole society collapsed as a result and I think he feels like it's his fault too, like: why can't he perform like All Might, if he could, this wouldn't have happened. He already saved a lot of people in previous seasons, achieved more than pro heroes sometimes, but he still says he did nothing. But I think this whole responsibility thing will be more obvious later as I saw some spoilers from the manga.
Feb 12, 2023 1:54 AM
Dec 2019
Loved deku from the beginning, he inspires me almost as much as yusuke from yu yu hakusho, yeah he cried a lot in the beginning, it’s okay to cry as long as you move on, deku did that and then some, then became more confident and respectable, he started to believe in in himself and others still had their opinions but they came around, he takes his position and rises above it multiple times and when shit hits the fan, those who stand above him falter, but not deku, he gets people back into the grind, he’s willing to risk his future if it means victory and even in defeat he doesn’t give up, he finds a different approach even if it means making decisions others may not like, deku is definitely a top tier protagonist, an prime example, loved him then and love him now, I could write entire essays as it stands but let me stop here, people may have their opinions about deku, albeit wrong, I definitely see something casuals don’t and I can’t wait to see his full progression.
Feb 12, 2023 2:03 AM
Nov 2022
for me, the problem with deku boils down to being a generic "good guy". he's a boring, bland and cliched shounen protagonist. There are absolutely no strong emotions attached to the character, be it positive or negative, save for "be the goodest boy around". He has kind of a motivation yes, but it's the way he acts that bothers me, I never felt Izuku was cool or that he had some enviable quality I lacked, he's only brave when it comes to fighting villains and that's not exactly something I can relate to.

but tbh i feel the same towards every shounen protagonist as they are really boring and uninteresting. the one i truly love is Sakata Gintoki from Gintama and from the current shounen generation, i would say Itadori and denji are quite good.
sujalbaral_04Feb 12, 2023 2:18 AM
Feb 12, 2023 2:20 AM
Jul 2021
Ofc! Hes my fav bnha character🥺
Feb 12, 2023 2:24 AM
May 2021
sujalbaral_04 said:
for me, the problem with deku boils down to being a generic "good guy". he's a boring, bland and cliched shounen protagonist. There are absolutely no strong emotions attached to the character, be it positive or negative, save for "be the goodest boy around". He has kind of a motivation yes, but it's the way he acts that bothers me, I never felt Izuku was cool or that he had some enviable quality I lacked, he's only brave when it comes to fighting villains and that's not exactly something I can relate to.

but tbh i feel the same towards every shounen protagonist as they are really boring and uninteresting. the one i truly love is Sakata Gintoki from Gintama and from the current shounen generation, i would say Itadori and denji are quite good.

Yehh gintoki is my favourite protagonist also but he is from older generation. Gintama literally started in 2006 even though it ended in recent years. That's why I can't include that. Otherwise there are many memorable characters from the 2000 and 90's hanamichi, Ichigo, yusuke, gon, allen Walker, sawada tsunayoshi, soul from soul eater.
Feb 12, 2023 2:43 AM
Nov 2022
Sand_bag said:
sujalbaral_04 said:

Yehh gintoki is my favourite protagonist also but he is from older generation. Gintama literally started in 2006 even though it ended in recent years. That's why I can't include that. Otherwise there are many memorable characters from the 2000 and 90's hanamichi, Ichigo, yusuke, gon, allen Walker, sawada tsunayoshi, soul from soul eater.

no i know that you were talking about the new generation. i was just saying that i love Gintoki as a protagonist😅
Feb 12, 2023 5:36 AM

Jul 2015
He was bland for entire series until now.

Feb 12, 2023 6:30 AM
Jul 2022
Deku is my one of favorite anime characters of all time as mha was my first anime. I love him.
Feb 12, 2023 8:58 AM
Sep 2015
I don’t really relate to main protagonists in general to be honest. Most mains don’t usually make it into my top 10 characters of their own series. I don’t watch & read My Hero for Deku but he’s fine I guess. I don’t dislike him and his vigilante arc is cool at least.
Feb 12, 2023 11:31 AM
Sep 2018
I actually really liked deku at the beginning because he was somewhat different, he was insecure and very nerdy- but made that his strength, but now he is just the standard boring protagonist with no real change happening
Feb 12, 2023 11:39 AM

Sep 2018
I am pretty neutral on Deku.  He is a flat protag like Goku and Luffy.  He never really does anything wrong so he does not seem complex.  
Feb 12, 2023 2:15 PM
Nov 2016
This poll is missing some options, man, you can't just create a poll with a "Yes" and "No" so I won't vote.

Anyway, Deku is meh but I finally started to like him a bit in the current anime since he got darker and serious, he feels like Batman now which I dig but it took him way too damn long to get to this point so at this point I don't like him nor hate him, I'm just "Neutral" towards him.
Feb 12, 2023 3:14 PM
Dec 2021
Sand_bag said:
From the current shonen generation shonen protagonist's is deku your favourite?

Six seasons went by but I still find him bland uninteresting character. I feel disappointing in his character growth.
My favourite mc have to be yuji from jjk and senku from dr. Stone and hinata from haikyuu from the current shonen animes.

This is not a shit post or any kind of bait. I do like mha.

You might like him later on
Feb 12, 2023 3:15 PM
Dec 2021
Deku is my 2nd favorite New Gen protagonist
Feb 12, 2023 4:56 PM
Jan 2021
no. he's boring af. I liked him in the first 2 seasons when he was clearly the underdog. Now he's so OP and seemingly flawless that his character and the series has lost a lot of its initial charm
Feb 12, 2023 5:23 PM
Oct 2022
Why wouldn't I like deku. He is in the best story arc of the anime of a character.
Feb 14, 2023 6:40 AM
Feb 2022
I like deku's character, and some of the comments I read here say that his character didn't grow throughout the show which is completely untrue. if you have watched the show from the start till this point u can see clearly that he had the biggest character growth out of all the characters in MHA. well generally from what I noticed people view the kindhearted and nice anime characters as boring 🤷
Feb 14, 2023 2:57 PM
Jun 2021
yeah, hes cool nice, he may be a bit bland as people say but he's nice and not annoying. Idk why people hare him because he cried tho, thats a bit weird
Feb 14, 2023 3:48 PM
Sep 2021
Can't stand him and Ida

Feb 14, 2023 10:25 PM
Mar 2022
of course who will hate him
Feb 15, 2023 5:24 AM
Sep 2021
he's a cool character. nothing to complain about honestly
Feb 15, 2023 7:31 PM
Feb 2022
I’m not too keen on him as an MP since he’s a bit boring and even annoying at times and he’s too much of a good boy but I would like to see more of One for All and how that develops, but I’m more interested in other characters like Bakugo, Hawks, Kirishima, Tokoyami etc. But he’s not a terrible MP.
Feb 18, 2023 6:42 AM
Jan 2019
I don't dislike him. at least he is better than demon slayer mc.
Feb 18, 2023 6:48 AM
Feb 2018
I don’t love him like I do with other main characters. I have a more neutral feeling towards him as his personality can get annoying more often then not. I understand he’s run of the mill shonen mc and really hasn’t developed all that much since season 1 in terms of personality. But regardless of the lack of technical writing for his character I still for some reason always find it charming and come back to the show not minding his character.
Mar 11, 2023 4:07 AM
Sep 2021
Never, even in s6, he just went edgy edgelord mode like Natsu becoming END, trash shonen mc of all time
Mar 11, 2023 6:09 AM

Feb 2021
Romaysa said:
No way you think that. At least Tanjirou has a decent back story
"Without commitment, we will never start. Without dicipline and consistency, we will never finish."
Mar 11, 2023 6:25 AM
ewww no

char limit 
Mar 11, 2023 6:26 AM
Romaysa said:
He's worse than tanjiro in every possible way lmao
Mar 11, 2023 6:42 AM

Oct 2019
as a character? yes

but I kinda hate how he is used in the story. mostly the extremely thicc plot armor, and the fact that he getting ahead of everyone by being the only one for all user that gets everyone else's power. it just doesn't feel earned.

I wanted to see him grow up and slowly become the n1 hero by proving that he is that good. but now.... it just feels like he got lucky on every turn. 

as far as shounen mcs go, for me he is in the lower half. 

I like him more than tanjiro, or yuji. 

but not nearly as much as denji, edward, mob or nagisa.

although out of those yuji is likely to pass him to in the later seasons.

I can confidently say he is way better than najiro though. not that it's saying much.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 11, 2023 6:45 AM
Jul 2021
Tbh i feel kinda the same to most new gen MC's. Imo , Deku , tanjiro , takemitchy and all are pretty bland imo with their character development being plot armor
Mar 11, 2023 6:45 AM

Oct 2019
Fluffygreygrass said:
Romaysa said:
He's worse than tanjiro in every possible way lmao

at least decu has a personality, tanjiro is by far the blandest most boring main character I have seen in a popular show.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 11, 2023 6:46 AM

Oct 2019
Sanikava said:
of course who will hate him
sagedevault said:
Can't stand him and Ida

the duality of anime fans

you two fight, I'll go grab some popcorns 
Also available at:

Mar 11, 2023 4:26 PM
Nov 2016
I don't dislike him, he's actually okay-ish, I'm not a fan of Deku or anything but Batman Deku is pretty cool.
Apr 5, 2023 12:40 AM

Oct 2008
Crybaby hero? No I can't say I do like him. He had an above average arc in this 6th season. But it isn't even in the same dimensional plane, as Eren "SNK". I make this comparison, because I didn't like Eren until s4. Deku I also didn't like and even after 6 seasons, I still don't like him.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 6th Season Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2023

161 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 3:55 PM

Poll: » What is the best MHA arc so far?

OskarC25 - Apr 8, 2023

20 by ToG25thBaam »»
Sep 18, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 6th Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2023

269 by ToG25thBaam »»
Sep 18, 9:09 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 6th Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2023

226 by ToG25thBaam »»
Sep 18, 8:03 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 6th Season Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stripes - Mar 11, 2023

299 by ToG25thBaam »»
Sep 18, 7:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.