Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 18, 2022 3:55 AM

Dec 2016
You know what I’d love? A MAL wrapped, like the Spotify one.
Since many apps do an “end-of-the-year-recap” kind of thing, I’d really enjoy to see some sort of recap of how many minutes I spent watching anime, what genre/tags I watched the most, how many episodes, the ones I rated higher, I don’t know, something like that.
I know this platform is different than certain apps that collect your usage data, but here we upload this info on the lists.
I don’t know, it would be cool to see it and share it.

What do you think?
Dec 18, 2022 3:59 AM

Dec 2018
Y’know that’d actually be pretty sick. I’d love if this became a feature, hopefully sometime before 2037 though.
Dec 18, 2022 4:01 AM

Sep 2022
Personally I think this would be super cool to have but for many different reasons sadly I don't think it would ever happen ?

To see the things like genre/tags and how much anime you have watched that year would actually be a really cool feature to have but I don't know how hard that would be to implement in to MAL. I'm all for it since seeing them stats would be awesome but the execution is the hardest part.

(it would also probably make me sad seeing how much time i had watched anime for this year xD)

Dec 18, 2022 4:06 AM

Sep 2017
Yeah, that'd be neat imo !

Wrong board though :

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?board=4

Dec 18, 2022 4:07 AM

Dec 2016
Monochrosanity said:
Y’know that’d actually be pretty sick. I’d love if this became a feature, hopefully sometime before 2037 though.

I guess that’s sort of difficult to implement, but it would be awesome to share.
Dec 18, 2022 4:10 AM

Dec 2016
Niall727 said:
Personally I think this would be super cool to have but for many different reasons sadly I don't think it would ever happen ?

To see the things like genre/tags and how much anime you have watched that year would actually be a really cool feature to have but I don't know how hard that would be to implement in to MAL. I'm all for it since seeing them stats would be awesome but the execution is the hardest part.

(it would also probably make me sad seeing how much time i had watched anime for this year xD)

Hahah, you know? It could be some kind of weird flex “Look, I’ve spent 273654 minutes watching anime this year.
…No, I don’t have a girlfriend, why do you ask?”
Dec 18, 2022 4:14 AM

Sep 2022
rubiadesiempre said:
Niall727 said:

Hahah, you know? It could be some kind of weird flex “Look, I’ve spent 273654 minutes watching anime this year.

Haha now you put it that way... this is a flex i want to get behind.

Who needs a girlfriend !

(cries while drowning in anime)

Dec 18, 2022 4:19 AM
Jul 2018
Crunchyroll should at least offer this.. love the idea and I’d be interested to see mine.
Dec 18, 2022 4:47 AM

Dec 2016
Moonspeak said:
Yeah, that'd be neat imo !

Wrong board though :

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?board=4

My first thought was to post it as a suggestion but then I saw that it was already posted before and it’s not allowed to repeat suggestions 😔
Dec 18, 2022 4:50 AM

Dec 2015
I'd love it!
It would be great especially that I know how much addicted I am to music thankfully to Spotify, and that would be a good idea for Mal with some restriction for bots, it wouldn't be a difficulty matter if someone would create an account at idk 30th december and add 2k rewatches of Naruto Shippuden which would make them spend so much time on this title that I don't even know if that's possible tbh.

What if those 270k of anime were watched together by a couple ? @rubiadesiempre You haven't considered that not everyone do that alone, some people even watch anime with parents and I've heard and I know such cases too... Oh I forgot, being in a couple is not a flex, I'd rather a flex of "Haha look? I have something what I enjoy. No I am not sad, I am happy, why do you ask?" x) [No offence btw]

* Cracking a cold beer to enjoy another anime + video game *
Dec 18, 2022 5:31 AM

Sep 2017
@rubiadesiempre

Oh I see, no worries !

You can always bump the other thread then with your own suggestions, if you have doubts ;)
Dec 18, 2022 6:24 AM
Jul 2018
rubiadesiempre said:
Niall727 said:

hahaha “you’ve watched more anime this year than 95% of our users! Congrats~”

🥲
Dec 18, 2022 6:28 AM

Dec 2016
Zettaiken said:
I'd love it!
It would be great especially that I know how much addicted I am to music thankfully to Spotify, and that would be a good idea for Mal with some restriction for bots, it wouldn't be a difficulty matter if someone would create an account at idk 30th december and add 2k rewatches of Naruto Shippuden which would make them spend so much time on this title that I don't even know if that's possible tbh.

What if those 270k of anime were watched together by a couple ? @rubiadesiempre You haven't considered that not everyone do that alone, some people even watch anime with parents and I've heard and I know such cases too... Oh I forgot, being in a couple is not a flex, I'd rather a flex of "Haha look? I have something what I enjoy. No I am not sad, I am happy, why do you ask?" x) [No offence btw]

* Cracking a cold beer to enjoy another anime + video game *

Hahah, honestly that's a flex I see myself doing.
I know we sometimes watch shows with others, but I was thinking more of a "wrapped" that involved data of your lists -of course, if you don't keep your lists updated you would not have an accurate recap-. So if you watch something with your partner/friend/family it will be your job to update your list (kind of what we already do, tbh)
Dec 18, 2022 6:32 AM

Dec 2016
_meimei said:
rubiadesiempre said:

hahaha “you’ve watched more anime this year than 95% of our users! Congrats~”

🥲

I can see this happening, them adding something like "People said you need to go out and touch some grass, but you didn't care... you’ve watched more anime this year than 95% of our users! Congrats~”

HAHAH
Dec 18, 2022 6:48 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
There was this thing called myanimegraph.k.vu or whatever when I was a newbie. (edit: found it: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=285261)

It's dead, it worked fairly similar to that, but not annually. It has now been survived by graph.anime.plus if I am not mistaken

Or perhaps they're not related and it's just a coincidence? I don't know
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Dec 18, 2022 10:20 AM

Dec 2015
rubiadesiempre said:

Hahah, honestly that's a flex I see myself doing.
I know we sometimes watch shows with others, but I was thinking more of a "wrapped" that involved data of your lists -of course, if you don't keep your lists updated you would not have an accurate recap-. So if you watch something with your partner/friend/family it will be your job to update your list (kind of what we already do, tbh)

Yeah that's what kind of a wrapped I'd expect like Mal will not follow or spy on whether you really watch it or not. Personally I do that alone rarely do that with someone else + I don't actually add my "Rewatches" (read it as watching reactors), but such wrapped with some little graphical representation would be nice.

Maybe as a beginning instead of doing such stuff as Spotify Wrapped for each user which might be difficult, would be nice to at least to do something of a insight which P*rnHub does for every year for overall results for countries/searches/trends etc. That would be nice and easier to do, at least that's what I'd consider to be easier to do.
Dec 18, 2022 10:50 AM

Mar 2015
I want a recap where they tell you how many times your posts on the forums have been reported.
Dec 18, 2022 10:55 AM

Jul 2009
code your own app and show us or pay me $20 an hour to do it
Dec 18, 2022 7:37 PM

Dec 2019
That's why we have anime.plus (MALGraph).

Or am I missing the point of this thread?
Dec 18, 2022 8:14 PM

Dec 2016
TheAngryNerd said:
That's why we have anime.plus (MALGraph).

Or am I missing the point of this thread?

It’s kind of similar, but not the same. What I’m saying is an annual recap, which shows your time spent in various ways and typically with clever puns and sort of “analyzing your vibe” statements.
MALGraph is nice but is not annual, it just gives your total amount of anime and titles since ever, and let’s be honest, the data is presented in an overall boring way, it’s full of plain numbers and charts/graphics -nothing exciting or cool-. Additionally, besides the achievements doesn’t have any cool feature, I mean, the Spotify wrapped is something many people is expecting because is kind of exciting/fun to see and to share.
Idk.
Dec 24, 2022 3:55 PM

Feb 2021
Yeah that woud be pretty cool to see, just seeing the random things I did throughout the year would be neat.
Dec 25, 2022 6:54 AM

Apr 2021
It would be cool to see it. I see a lot of ppl suggest making anime/manga wrapped. 
Dec 25, 2022 7:31 AM
Yare Yare Daze

May 2022
There nothing to recap.
Recap the anime and manga you completed this year? That's boring.
Dec 25, 2022 7:14 PM

Jul 2019
YES! Let the mods know!!!! Get them on the idea! 

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 2, 2023 6:48 AM

Dec 2020
I love the idea of a year review/recap and actually made my own for personal archiving. Hoping for more development for the mobile app and an official #SpotifyWrapped inspired recap for MAL soon!
Jan 2, 2023 7:12 AM

Dec 2016
jaeo_k said:
I love the idea of a year review/recap and actually made my own for personal archiving. Hoping for more development for the mobile app and an official #SpotifyWrapped inspired recap for MAL soon!

Awesome, I really liked your recap. I never thought of making one myself, great idea.
Jan 2, 2023 7:18 AM

Jul 2022
Amityblight said:
There nothing to recap.

Yeah... That's boring for us because we joined 2022....so nothing is there to recap for us.... But for the old users?

I think it's pretty good idea... Steam and twitch did the same thing.. But it requires effort... And we have..... Lazy mods 💀

"**** Yourself" - Frieren

Jan 2, 2023 8:48 AM
Yare Yare Daze

May 2022
PwnZ said:
Amityblight said:
There nothing to recap.

Yeah... That's boring for us because we joined 2022....so nothing is there to recap for us.... But for the old users?

I think it's pretty good idea... Steam and twitch did the same thing.. But it requires effort... And we have..... Lazy mods 💀

I said thousand times. Take my url and go to way back machine. It's boring either way.
Yesterday, 3:58 PM

Jun 2017
Hey, so I actually built this. It's one of the features at theanimeden.net called Anime Archives.

You can retroactively view a yearly summary of your anime-watching activity for each year that you have entries in your list.

It shows you a whole bunch of info such as
  • the number of anime and hours you've watched
  • a breakdown of the media types, source materials and number of anime watched airing vs off-season
  • seasonal details and highlights
  • highest and lowest scored anime
  • your top genres, studios and source materials
  • your hot takes and niche watches
  • and more!

I'd be super happy if you check it out and let me know what you think! And if you have suggestion for any other features that you would like to see added, please let me know :)
3 hours ago

Jun 2017
Reply to BytePusher
Hey, so I actually built this. It's one of the features at theanimeden.net called Anime Archives.

You can retroactively view a yearly summary of your anime-watching activity for each year that you have entries in your list.

It shows you a whole bunch of info such as
  • the number of anime and hours you've watched
  • a breakdown of the media types, source materials and number of anime watched airing vs off-season
  • seasonal details and highlights
  • highest and lowest scored anime
  • your top genres, studios and source materials
  • your hot takes and niche watches
  • and more!

I'd be super happy if you check it out and let me know what you think! And if you have suggestion for any other features that you would like to see added, please let me know :)
A brief explanation on how the dates are determined

The "finish date" of an anime is used to determine the year. However, if you haven't given a finish date to a particular anime, it will look at your "last updated" date for that entry.

Say you watched an anime in 2018 and didn't give it a finish date. If you go back and change the score for that anime in 2021, then it will appear in your 2021 anime archives. It's not perfect, but it was how I was able to make it work for users who do not give a finish date to most of their anime.

If you simply score an anime once after you've finished it and do not touch the score again, then it should work fine. I assume this is the case for most users. However, it will be inaccurate for users who frequently go back and update the score (or other attributes) of their past entries.
3 hours ago

Jul 2013
Anime is not worth taking seriously. It is just more mass-produced "entertainment" to distract and confuse the masses. There are hardly any anime shows that are actually worth watching btw.
3 hours ago

Sep 2016
Good idea, I would watch/read that.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
3 hours ago

Aug 2020
I'd really appreciate more settings in this site. I wish MAL wasn't stuck in 2008.

1 hour ago

Feb 2024
Reply to KitsuFrost
I'd really appreciate more settings in this site. I wish MAL wasn't stuck in 2008.
KitsuFrost said:
I wish MAL wasn't stuck in 2008

It's literally all I love about it lol.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
1 hour ago

Aug 2020
Reply to LoveYourSmile
KitsuFrost said:
I wish MAL wasn't stuck in 2008

It's literally all I love about it lol.
@LoveYourSmile Yes, in a positive side it's layout is still good and aged well after more than a decade.

37 minutes ago

Feb 2024
Reply to KitsuFrost
@LoveYourSmile Yes, in a positive side it's layout is still good and aged well after more than a decade.
@KitsuFrost There are so few old-school php forums alive, you know. This site reminds me of some excitement of the past, I don't want it to change, just be a little bit mobile friendly, and it's gucci.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

More topics from this board

» 2024 Olympics Thread

Hitagi__Furude - 5 hours ago

11 by DreamingBeats »»
2 minutes ago

» Is the earth round or flat?

ZakuF_ - Jul 25

27 by ISeeLifePeople »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you find it hard to form new relationships?

SimplyBrazen - Jul 20

9 by ISeeLifePeople »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » What area do you live in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

23 by ISeeLifePeople »»
20 minutes ago

» why do people in the modern world try so hard to hide their body odour?

vasipi4946 - Jul 25

23 by ISeeLifePeople »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.