Forums

The anime industry should continue it’s poor work environment

New
Do you agree?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 11, 2022 6:49 AM
Aug 2022
MegaStride said:

By overworking the animators, we are still able to get high-quality works alongside getting more above-average/average anime (edited as some people are struggling to understand). More anime = more entertainment for us which is something we want. This is an efficient system and has been working for the past few decades. If we transition to something like Kyoto Animation’s workplace, we’ll get at max maybe 20 anime a year, significantly decreasing our entertainment.

What are your thoughts on this?

Can't you just watch older stuff once you run out of new anime to watch? that seems like an easy option that won't drive animators into early graves.
Sep 9, 2022 5:41 PM

May 2021
Basic empathy thrown right outta the window, you are just saying quantity > quality. Good fucking lord. And then you go and say Kaguya-Sama S3 sucked. Lol.

Sep 9, 2022 6:12 PM

Nov 2019
Even animals in farmhouse are treated better than animators. Those in Kobe, Japan, for example.

Then again, why do we even compare fast food to high-class dish prepared by a five-star restaurant here? The gap is way too obvious.

Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 10, 2022 3:08 AM

Aug 2020
MegaStride said:
This is an efficient system and has been working for the past few decades.

Slavery was also an efficient system for the slave owners and worked for hundreds of years. It's almost like not having to treat people as people was popular for a long time...
So hey, why only have poor work conditions and low pay? Let's just give them no pay, and make them work 24/7, and actually, let's just subjugate more people and force them to learn how to become animators so we always have a new batch of them if the other ones eventually die from overwork. Like, why stop there since clearly morals have gone out the window?

If it's not obvious yet, that sounds absolutely terrible to me. I'm not so selfish to put work conditions on people that I wouldn't want to work in myself. Proper compensation for their work and healthy workloads are something everyone should be entitled to, and while I know we haven't reached that point yet, every step towards it is a good step.
Also, in general, I really wish humanity would stop with their endless greed for everything. We don't need 45 different brands of cereal available at all times, and we don't need 200 new mediocre anime every single season.
Sep 11, 2022 1:40 AM

May 2020
are there people who would actually be opposed to 20 anime a year that have 10/10 animation quality??
Sep 11, 2022 4:45 PM
Feb 2017
RioFS said:
Basic empathy thrown right outta the window, you are just saying quantity > quality. Good fucking lord. And then you go and say Kaguya-Sama S3 sucked. Lol.

Yes, quantity > quality since we will be getting quality works even if we focus mainly on quantity.

And no, Kaguya S3 did not suck. But it was certainly the weakest season of the bunch by a whole 2 points.
Sep 11, 2022 4:56 PM

May 2021
MegaStride said:
RioFS said:

Yes, quantity > quality since we will be getting quality works even if we focus mainly on quantity.

And no, Kaguya S3 did not suck. But it was certainly the weakest season of the bunch by a whole 2 points.

That does not justify the presence of so much garbage. Focusing on quality will not only make the average to garbage anime better, it will also end up making the already good anime even better, which is something even the average person would prefer. Conclusion, quality > quantity.

And considering Kaguya-Sama S3 was significantly better than both S1 and S2, both in terms of the writing, the directing, and the audiovisual, that statement is objectively wrong.

Sep 11, 2022 5:04 PM
❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀⑅*❀

Oct 2019
In all honesty, I'd rather watch 20 really good anime rather than having 1 half decent anime to watch every other season.

Also, they're humans. How can you say that they should work in those conditions for the purpose of entertaining you?
Sep 11, 2022 5:05 PM

May 2011
This is a debate for which I have no definite answer. Artists are at their top best, when they are hungry and fight with this drive to reach the stars, away from their poor setting. Then, when they get established (or even rich), their comfort tend to dull out their creativity.
Obviously, I don't want poor chaps to survive on outdated cans of dog food, calling a giant soapbox their studio headquarters, but I also don't want them to be coddled to the point they artistically regress. Besides, you have to take into account that foreign animators will be chosen over the Japanese if the producers consider that the price for domestic labor is too high.

Kyoto Animation, before the arson, had the best model in my opinion. Even as a hater of their works, I can still see the extra care the animators put on execution of the projects as they were less pressured by schedule constraints.
Sep 11, 2022 5:20 PM

Mar 2022
MegaStride said:
RioFS said:

Objectively and subjectively wrong take. Kaguya S3 was peak fictional romance.
Sep 11, 2022 6:17 PM

Mar 2020
You shouldn't put entertainment over peoples health. That's just wrong. You should have more respect for the people who create the medium you love so much. It's disappointing to read this. Anyway, there are 50 Anime this season. If that ain't enough for you then somethings wrong with you.
💀😭😂🙏
Sep 11, 2022 7:36 PM
Feb 2017
RioFS said:
MegaStride said:

That does not justify the presence of so much garbage. Focusing on quality will not only make the average to garbage anime better, it will also end up making the already good anime even better, which is something even the average person would prefer. Conclusion, quality > quantity.

And considering Kaguya-Sama S3 was significantly better than both S1 and S2, both in terms of the writing, the directing, and the audiovisual, that statement is objectively wrong.

Nope

Kaguya S3 is a downgrade. Animation took a hit, directing felt off (interesting how a change in staff does that), some episodes were flat out not funny, etc. Anyone saying this season was superior in comedy is off their rocker. Adding drama doesn’t make up for the fact that the comedy was not at its best. You objectively watched with your eyes closed. The festival ending and rap episode carried the season, in contrast to the previous seasons where it was consistent in quality.
Sep 11, 2022 7:42 PM

May 2021
MegaStride said:
RioFS said:

Nope

Kaguya S3 is a downgrade. Animation took a hit, directing felt off (interesting how a change in staff does that), some episodes were flat out not funny, etc. Anyone saying this season was superior in comedy is off their rocker. Adding drama doesn’t make up for the fact that the comedy was not at its best. You objectively watched with your eyes closed. The festival ending and rap episode carried the season, in contrast to the previous seasons where it was consistent in quality.

Except no it is not and every episode was funny except for the climactic episode. Anyone saying this season is weaker is clearly either objectively watching with their eyes closed or is a brainless idiot which does with your prior idiocy.

Sep 11, 2022 7:57 PM
Feb 2017
RioFS said:
MegaStride said:

Nope

Except no it is not and every episode was funny except for the climactic episode. Anyone saying this season is weaker is clearly either objectively watching with their eyes closed or is a brainless idiot which does with your prior idiocy.

Average Kaguya fan resorting to insults when people point out flaws in their show.
Sep 11, 2022 8:16 PM

May 2011
If you know this crazy alternative which allows one to pay decently studios so that they focus on a single ambitious quality project instead of them having to cover multiple yearly projects to stay afloat, tell me, I am all ear... Because it's certainly not called Crunchyroll, lol.

The flaw in your logic, is that you only think about main studios. There are also a lot of little known sub-contractor studios helping out by doing secondary tasks. These contractors are basically freelancers as they're not bound to the main studios. By nature, this niche gets the short end of the stick. They have to work on multiple projects so that they stay in business, even if they have to bandwagon on very cheap ones.
Is there a way to pay everybody decently enough? it's debatable. You don't even begin to imagine how complex of an issue it is.
Sep 11, 2022 8:21 PM

May 2014
they should stop releasing new anime for like 2 or 3 years and let everyone in the industry work on literally whatever they want and pay them at least double the average wage.

also bring back cel animation
Sep 11, 2022 8:45 PM

May 2011
bizor said:
they should stop releasing new anime for like 2 or 3 years and let everyone in the industry work on literally whatever they want and pay them at least double the average wage.

Like I said, anime studios are freelancers. They get a budget for an individual project they cover in time, they don't have a monthly salary like employees on a classic company would.
Also, Investors don't want such model as it'd be not only contractually constraining but expensive. A producer (let's say TV Tokyo) shells out money for a single anime project execution, but they want it as cheap as possible so that they can make a maximal profit during airing. That's the capitalistic model for you, and the studio's payroll will be the first thing they think about when they try to cut corners.
As I said, when you are the producer of an animated series, if you think Japanese studios are still too expensive, you can choose to go to a variety of places where they might do the work for cheaper: South Korea, Philippines...

also bring back cel animation

Mah dawg, bless your good words ^^
sorcerySep 11, 2022 8:49 PM
Sep 11, 2022 8:49 PM
Aug 2021
MegaStride said:

If we transition to something like Kyoto Animation’s workplace, we’ll get at max maybe 20 anime a year, significantly decreasing our entertainment.

The quality of those 20 anime would be really high though, they'd be labors of love, and made by people who aren't overworked and are able to make higher quality frames for an actually good wage. I already mainly watch older series, which we have tons of great ones that aren't talked about anymore.
Sep 11, 2022 9:11 PM

May 2014
sorcery said:
bizor said:

Like I said, anime studios are freelancers. They get a budget for an individual project they cover in time, they don't have a monthly salary like employees on a classic company would.
Also, Investors don't want such model as it'd be not only contractually constraining but expensive. A producer (let's say TV Tokyo) shells out money for a single anime project execution, but they want it as cheap as possible so that they can make a maximal profit during airing. That's the capitalistic model for you, and the studio's payroll will be the first thing they think about when they try to cut corners.
As I said, when you are the producer of an animated series, if you think Japanese studios are still too expensive, you can choose to go to a variety of places where they might do the work for cheaper: South Korea, Philippines...

obviously my desire of artists having economic wellbeing and artistic autonomy would extend to animators outside of japan too. i assure you that i understand the confining structures of capitalism and their impact on anime studios. studio cel animation was put in the grave because of economic forces necessitating the wholesale switch to digital animation to stay competitive. it sucks and we deserve a world where a form of art doesn't have to die for someone's bottom line.
Sep 12, 2022 4:50 AM

May 2021
MegaStride said:
RioFS said:

Average Kaguya fan resorting to insults when people point out flaws in their show.

If you mean to say I insulted you, I didn't. Simply spit some facts regarding people who unironically think S3 is objectively better than the previous seasons.

Also funny how you stopped talking about the earlier topic.

Sep 12, 2022 5:58 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Yes whatever floats the boat...
Why fix it if it isn't broken and continue to produce the desired results?

Sep 12, 2022 7:50 AM

Aug 2010
this guy is on to something. Let's take this a step further and enslave these people. Then we can chain them to their desks and force them to work tirelessly. We can feed them with IV so they wont even have to take breaks to eat. Then we can force breed them and train their kids to take over....
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Sep 12, 2022 8:02 AM

Jul 2015
You can't have quality by overworking people, and I'm going to tell you why, because I have an idea of how making a living from art works, and apparently you don't.

When you spend time working, you are not practicing your art. If you're a musician, you are neither practicing your technique nor composing new songs when you perform live. If you're a writer, you're not writing books when you're on TV beng a clown to promote the previous one. When you're a mangaka, you're not making new manga and practicing other art styles when you're slaving 20 years on a successful battle shonen. And when you're an animator, you're not learning to draw horses or mechas when you're working 12h/day drawing the same highschoolers over and over again.
AND
You're not going to have any motivation to practice even if you have some free time, because it became a job that you hate. It's not a surprise so many battle shonen mangaka go on hiatus every two days.

So no, you'll never get quality if you overwork your staff. There are studies on this, it's not a secret, yet somehow some people continue to believe that shit work environments and overworking leads to increased productivity. Japanese studios sure still believe it, and that's why we're getting shit anime since half a decade.
Sep 12, 2022 11:21 AM
Feb 2017
RioFS said:
MegaStride said:

If you mean to say I insulted you, I didn't. Simply spit some facts regarding people who unironically think S3 is objectively better than the previous seasons.

No you 100% insulted me because I was speaking the truth. Keep coping little guy,
Sep 12, 2022 11:23 AM

May 2021
MegaStride said:
RioFS said:

No you 100% insulted me because I was speaking the truth. Keep coping little guy.

Except for the fact that you were not. Lol.

Sep 12, 2022 11:24 AM
Feb 2017
RioFS said:
MegaStride said:

No you 100% insulted me because I was speaking the truth. Keep coping little guy.

Sheep will continue to be sheep, blindly ignoring and refusing to believe the blatant flaws in their series.
Sep 12, 2022 11:29 AM

May 2021
MegaStride said:
RioFS said:

Sheep will continue to be sheep, blindly ignoring and refusing to believe the blatant flaws in their series.

Sheep will continue to be sheep, blindly ignoring and refusing to accept the facts.

Sep 12, 2022 11:33 AM

Nov 2008
No

Cut the amount of anime in half and start by cutting down the number of isekai, there should be 2 max per season and get whatever is left that is good, don't get things like the hot springs or vending machine type isekai (there's even worse than that too, because an apple isekai exists)

Sep 13, 2022 1:57 AM

Oct 2008
No it shouldn't.
Saying that is the right thing. But at the same time is the "poor work environment" hindering the production of good anime and manga. If it's not hindering them, let me ask you:

Why fix something that isn't broken. From what I can tell, it has cracks. Cracks that the people in Japan themselves apparently don't really admit to. So what's left for us to do, but cross our hands and realise "we can't do much at all".
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» WHat's an anime that would be great if a genderswapped version was made?

TheBlockernator - 4 hours ago

13 by rohan121 »»
2 minutes ago

» Why are the characters in your favorite character list your favorite? ( 1 2 )

Samu-tan - Feb 24, 2010

55 by MichaelJackson »»
22 minutes ago

» Do you find immoral anime fun to watch?

LenRea - Jun 5

35 by Mayahuel »»
22 minutes ago

» Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

10 by Daviljoe193 »»
24 minutes ago

» How do you feel about the By Any Means Necessary drip jacket?

GinInYourJuice - 5 hours ago

7 by Mayahuel »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.