Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 16, 2022 10:54 PM
Jul 2021
Since Isayama made it clear that Hange is bisexual and he didn't clarify his/her gender, so is it the studio that made her a female character ? Lol, I'm laughing on my own ques.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 16, 2022 11:09 PM
Dec 2019
Reckless_weeb said:
Since Isayama made it clear that Hange is bisexual and he didn't clarify his/her gender, so is it the studio that made her a female character ? Lol, I'm laughing on my own ques.

I don't think the anime ever specifically says Hange is female(I may be wrong since I don't speak Japanese)...it just happens to be that the voice actor is female...but a lot of male charecters in anime are voiced by female(the same voice actress is the voice of Edward from fmab)
Jun 16, 2022 11:17 PM
Apr 2022
it's OK to assume her to be a female
Jun 16, 2022 11:20 PM
Oct 2008
She looks female and sounds female so it's no brainer.
Jun 16, 2022 11:26 PM
Jun 2021
It’s pretty obvious in the anime that she’s a female(Not sure about the manga since I haven’t read it)

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jun 16, 2022 11:27 PM
Jun 2022
does it matter lmao
Jun 16, 2022 11:28 PM
Sep 2021
She's a woman and identifies as a woman and everyone uses she/her pronouns for her

Also since when she's Bisexual lol
Jun 16, 2022 11:29 PM
Apr 2020
hange looks like a women so its easy to assume that aot fans just ran with that fact. it is canon that their gender is ambiguous, though.
Jun 16, 2022 11:31 PM

Jul 2021
she looks like a woman, also people address her as she/her

Friends are nothing more than the people who you spend the fun, yet meaningless times with. When those times get rough, they aren’t there to support you.

My Mushoku Tensei Review
Jun 16, 2022 11:33 PM
Jul 2021
Hange appears to be feminine in the anime and I and Im sure many others believe that Hange is female. However, this isn’t worth much discussion because at the end of the day people will believe what they want to believe and this should not be forced on others because I don’t want to see the Aot fandom devolve into the crapfest that is the MHA fandom.
KingPeaceM2Jun 17, 2022 12:46 AM
Jun 16, 2022 11:34 PM
Feb 2022
Reckless_weeb said:

Representation and all doesn't mean anything if you don't actually specify it. Hange is shown to be female(ish), and because nothing says otherwise, she's female.
Jun 16, 2022 11:35 PM
May 2022
Hange is a woman and straight ;)
Jun 16, 2022 11:42 PM

Mar 2021
Doesn't really matter though does it.
Jun 16, 2022 11:43 PM
Mar 2021
what does one call someone who is horny for titans?
Jun 16, 2022 11:57 PM

Dec 2019
she's a straight woman lole
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 17, 2022 12:05 AM
Jun 2021
i mean i always thought she was a woman until ppl said it was never clarified. and i still do i guess
Jun 17, 2022 12:17 AM

Jul 2015
Most of the fandom uses feminine pronouns when referring to Hange, so let's go with that.

Hange's gender is specifically stated as ambigious, meaning, that she has a certain gender she identifies with, but it was never revealed throughout the story.
It doesn't mean she is part of LGBT, but just we didn't get to know which gender she actually was.
In anime she appears much more feminine.

Isiyama in interviews stated, that he specifically instructed editors to use gender neutral pronouns when referring to Hange and to dismissed anyone who tries to force certain gender as canon as bigots, but allowed people to theorise and draw their own conclusion.

I personally thought she was always female and just recently found out it was never confirmed.
PiromyslJun 17, 2022 2:00 AM

Jun 17, 2022 12:21 AM
Oct 2021
I didn't notice when they mention her as Bi in anime.
I think she is a female.
Jun 17, 2022 12:28 AM

Jun 2015
KingPeaceM2 said:
This is why anime fans can’t have nice things. People always have to change character’s sexualities and genders to match their narrative. Conclusion: She is female because she clearly is from how she is addressed and looks and either way it doesn’t matter so this thread is pointless

No, they’re not changing characters sexualities and personalities. In the anime, Hange is female but in the canonical manga, it’s ambiguous. They’re the only character to use gender neutral pronouns, and the author says that fans can theorize on Hange’s gender but he’s not gonna say that they’re female.

Obviously there’s a reason for this, no author goes the extra mile to make sure a character uses gender neutral pronouns just for the lolz

Also that whole “hange looks like a female therefore is a female” bit is entirely pointless when Armin can pass for a girl and Mikasa looks like a dude in several shots
ixaaJun 17, 2022 12:32 AM
Jun 17, 2022 12:34 AM
Dec 2017
There is this from season 2
Jun 17, 2022 12:42 AM
Jul 2021
ixaa said:
KingPeaceM2 said:
This is why anime fans can’t have nice things. People always have to change character’s sexualities and genders to match their narrative. Conclusion: She is female because she clearly is from how she is addressed and looks and either way it doesn’t matter so this thread is pointless

No, they’re not changing characters sexualities and personalities. In the anime, Hange is female but in the canonical manga, it’s ambiguous. They’re the only character to use gender neutral pronouns, and the author says that fans can theorize on Hange’s gender but he’s not gonna say that they’re female.

Obviously there’s a reason for this, no author goes the extra mile to make sure a character uses gender neutral pronouns just for the lolz

Also that whole “hange looks like a female therefore is a female” bit is entirely pointless when Armin can pass for a girl and Mikasa looks like a dude in several shots
My point was more that people should not force crazy things on characters. I did not realize that Isayama said that about Hange so I will admit my take is bad. However, I still believe that people should follow the author’s wishes instead of their own such as the MHA fandom that has gone crazy with shipping characters for their own purposes and completely disregarding what the author wants which if they truly want to support something, should never be done. I will edit my original comment to accurately represent this.
Jun 17, 2022 1:04 AM
Jun 2021
hange canonically has no gender, confirmed by isayama (for the manga at least, hange uses no gendered words, only their name) but the animation studio opted to make hange more female-presenting for the anime
Jun 17, 2022 1:25 AM
Oct 2017
Subham0464 said:
Reckless_weeb said:

I don't think the anime ever specifically says Hange is female(I may be wrong since I don't speak Japanese)...it just happens to be that the voice actor is female...but a lot of male charecters in anime are voiced by female(the same voice actress is the voice of Edward from fmab)

she has female body traits in the anime, so in the anime she is a female
Jun 17, 2022 1:27 AM
Dec 2019
BloodyTaer said:
Subham0464 said:

I mean she could be non binary as well...but it's pointless to argue about that when the creators don't want to reveal their gender
Jun 17, 2022 1:32 AM
Aug 2021
Hange is hange and i love them
Jun 17, 2022 1:33 AM
Jan 2021
Subham0464 said:
Reckless_weeb said:

Edward Elric is voiced by Vic Mignogna, which is not a woman nor the same voice actor as hange
Jun 17, 2022 1:34 AM
Dec 2019
Trev_bot said:
Subham0464 said:

Edward Elric is voice by Vic Mignogna
Lol...I was obviously talking about the japanese voice actress not the English one...
Jun 17, 2022 1:34 AM
Jan 2021
Subham0464 said:
Trev_bot said:

Lol...I was obviously talking about the japanese voice actress not the English one...

Ah, makes sense. Dub>sub not arguing
Jun 17, 2022 1:38 AM
Dec 2019
Trev_bot said:
Subham0464 said:

Usually I prefer sub ... But I did watch fmab in dub(mixed with sub sometimes) because the story is set in a Europe-like place.
Jun 17, 2022 1:39 AM

Apr 2016
You need to have several dysfunctions if you think she ain't a girl.

Or you 15 yers old.
Jun 17, 2022 1:45 AM
Aug 2021
She is a female. Whoever disagrees doesn't deserve an opinion
Jun 17, 2022 2:07 AM
Dec 2021
It was never said that she is bisexual, however we don't know for sure what's her gender. Don't listen to those idiots up there saying that she's a female in a rather aggressive way, her gender was never confirmed, so you're free to believe what you want. Personally, I refer to her as she/her, but again, it's up to the reader.
Jun 17, 2022 2:44 AM
Jan 2021
You weirdos need to step it down a notch. This is anime, not one of your western stupid identity politics issues
Jun 17, 2022 2:56 AM
Aug 2020
Subham0464 said:
Trev_bot said:

Voice actors don't mean anything though, lots of men are voice acted acted by women. See Naruto.
Jun 17, 2022 3:06 AM
Dec 2019
SeekerOfTachyons said:
Subham0464 said:

Voice actors don't mean anything though, lots of men are voice acted acted by women. See Naruto.
Dude...read the first reply of this forum above...that's exactly what I said
Jun 17, 2022 3:12 AM
Aug 2020
Subham0464 said:
Trev_bot said:

Usually I prefer sub ... But I did watch fmab in dub(mixed with sub sometimes) because the story is set in a Europe-like place.

Oh yeah, I didn't read that. My bad 😂
Jun 17, 2022 3:14 AM
Aug 2021
If Isayama didnt clarify Hange's gender, then we shouldn't assume about their gender. This was one of the "mistake" that WIT made by making them looks feminine, but in the manga they always looks androgynous. Mappa corrected the mistake and made them looks more ambiguous (flatter chest, more masculine facial features, shorter hair, just like in the manga)

Asuming Hange's a female just by appearance and voice actor is just like calling Armin a female since his appearance looks like a girl and his voice actor is a woman.

There was a lot of debate on anitwt about this topic and most agree to refer to Hange as non-binary
Jun 17, 2022 3:15 AM

Feb 2021
In the anime, Hange is definitely a woman. There's no doubt at all about that.
Jun 17, 2022 3:18 AM
Nov 2019
you know bi and trans aren't the same thing or remotely related right?

every single AOT line that has to do with Hange refers to her as a female and even if that wasn't the case (as someone said earlier) --> she looks female, she sounds female so she kinda IS female (till further notice)

also, it's said that she's straight! where did you get this bisexual info?
kushakashiJun 17, 2022 3:21 AM
Jun 17, 2022 4:27 AM
May 2021
She has boobs, i doubt they had the kind tech to give a man boobs back than.
Jun 17, 2022 6:03 AM
Jan 2021
Subham0464 said:
BloodyTaer said:

I mean she could be non binary as well...but it's pointless to argue about that when the creators don't want to reveal their gender

Her sex is female. Sex and gender are different. She is biologically female, so it’s a no brainer.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 17, 2022 6:03 AM
Jan 2021
Reckless_weeb said:

Please provide the quote or proof, because I really don’t think she is. She didn’t seem interested in anybody.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 17, 2022 6:07 AM
Dec 2019
official_brown said:
Subham0464 said:

Her sex is female. Sex and gender are different. She is biologically female, so it’s a no brainer.
Have you seen the question asked by the op? It clearly asks about their gender...
Also you yourself said sex and gender are not same...so how is this a no brainer?

PS:- also why are people arguing over the gender of a drawing?
Jun 17, 2022 6:10 AM
Jan 2021
Subham0464 said:
official_brown said:

Have you seen the question asked by the op? It clearly asks about their gender...
Also you yourself said sex and gender are not same...so how is this a no brainer?

Because usually people combine the two, which I think half were. And idk, it’s the same thing with Najimi. I’ll be respectful to people with differential ideologies about themselves in real life, but I couldn’t care less to misgender or misidentify an anime character.

Like “let’s be respectful, Najimi uses they/them pronouns.” Bruh, it’s an anime character, and legit says the gender in the manga/anime, it’s a joke. So I don’t see the need to necessarily debate gender/sexuality because it really doesn’t matter.
Jun 17, 2022 7:08 AM

Oct 2020
to me Hange will always be female :)
at least until we get an official confirmation
Jun 17, 2022 7:17 AM

Sep 2017
Skarp00 said:
There is this from season 2

I noticed that too. In the manga Hange’s laying on the ground but the view is arranged so that the chest is purposely not able to be seen. The anime changes it so that Hange’s boobs are quite visible, as noted in the screenshot you provided. I like boobs so I notice these things 🧐

My understanding is that Hange is ambiguous in the manga, but was changed to female in the anime. In the official subs of Season 1 (at least on Crunchyroll) there are a couple of occasions in the earlier episodes where she is referred to as “she”.
I wish more people watched Chobits.
Jun 17, 2022 7:51 AM
Dec 2020
Can we stop being idiots and stop fucking asking if someone is obviously a boy or girl? Like Hange is obviously a girl. I don’t understand how people have lost the ability to understand this.
Jun 17, 2022 8:03 AM
Sep 2021
Nekk0 said:
Saimatsu_Fan said:
She's a woman and identifies as a woman and everyone uses she/her pronouns for her

Also since when she's Bisexual lol

Give me the source

Read the manga/watch the anime ??

When it's EVER implied or refered that's she's NB ? Or even GNC ?

Everyone literally uses she/her pronouns for her all the time LMAO
Jun 17, 2022 8:04 AM
Sep 2021
official_brown said:
Subham0464 said:

Because usually people combine the two, which I think half were. And idk, it’s the same thing with Najimi. I’ll be respectful to people with differential ideologies about themselves in real life, but I couldn’t care less to misgender or misidentify an anime character.

Like “let’s be respectful, Najimi uses they/them pronouns.” Bruh, it’s an anime character, and legit says the gender in the manga/anime, it’s a joke. So I don’t see the need to necessarily debate gender/sexuality because it really doesn’t matter.

Najime doesn't really use they/them unless if you're talking about the dub, which obviously doesn't count

Najime is a man and literally said that in the 2nd ep of S1 when guys hit on him, nevermind the countless times Tadano asks him to get out of women spaces ( like the pool episode ), his gender is used as joke but that doesn't make him NB
Jun 17, 2022 8:06 AM
Jan 2021
Saimatsu_Fan said:
official_brown said:

Najime doesn't really use they/them unless if you're talking about the dub, which obviously doesn't count

Najime's gender is whatever the scenes needs him to be

I know, that’s why it’s annoying to me, like it’s not a big deal. Anime characters are not human beings, haha. I feel like some people blur the lines a bit.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1656 by ExecrableDan »»
Jun 2, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

247Eyes - Jul 13, 2013

546 by LT637_Anime »»
Jun 1, 7:44 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

1555 by flimmyjimmy »»
May 19, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2013

921 by _akshatts_ »»
May 12, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2013

991 by kzen_sno »»
May 10, 10:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.