Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 18, 2021 10:42 AM

Oct 2019
So recently I’ve been wondering, a lot of the later content handles some pretty mature themes, so I was wondering if Attack on Titan is seinen or not. I know it’s not official, it’s always been shonen, but I was wondering if any of you out there consider it a seinen?
Jan 18, 2021 11:01 AM

Sep 2018
It definitely started of as a shonen, but I believe that it grew into a seinen in the latter half of the story
Jan 18, 2021 11:37 AM

Oct 2019
Larcus said:
It definitely started of as a shonen, but I believe that it grew into a seinen in the latter half of the story

Do you think it should be listed as a seinen in MAL?
Jan 18, 2021 12:55 PM

May 2018
AcbSnakeDemon said:
Larcus said:

Do you think it should be listed as a seinen in MAL?

I guess since its published in a shounen magazine it'll always be considered a shounen regardless of the themes.
Jan 18, 2021 1:38 PM

Jan 2009
demographics are not a measure of maturity anyway look at K-On being a seinen manga
Jan 18, 2021 2:01 PM

Oct 2019
Lumiax said:

I guess since its published in a shounen magazine it'll always be considered a shounen regardless of the themes.

deg said:
demographics are not a measure of maturity anyway look at K-On being a seinen manga

Lmao

I still think it should be listed as seinen. Can we ask the mods to do this? Look what I found under the biography section of Hajime Isayama’s Wikipedia page:

“Originally, he also offered his work to the Weekly Shōnen Jump department at Shueisha, where he was advised to modify his style and story to be more suitable for Weekly Shōnen Jump. He declined and decided instead to take it to the Weekly Shōnen Magazine department at Kodansha Ltd.“

If you click on the link for Weekly Shonen Magazine on the Wikipedia page it says it’s a magazine for high school and college students.

It’s evident that Isayama never intended AOT to be targeted towards younger kids.
I feel that AOT should be listed as shonen and seinen.
Jan 18, 2021 2:24 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
AcbSnakeDemon said:

Lmao

I still think it should be listed as seinen. Can we ask the mods to do this? Look what I found under the biography section of Hajime Isayama’s Wikipedia page:

“Originally, he also offered his work to the Weekly Shōnen Jump department at Shueisha, where he was advised to modify his style and story to be more suitable for Weekly Shōnen Jump. He declined and decided instead to take it to the Weekly Shōnen Magazine department at Kodansha Ltd.“

If you click on the link for Weekly Shonen Magazine on the Wikipedia page it says it’s a magazine for high school and college students.

It’s evident that Isayama never intended AOT to be targeted towards younger kids.

The Weekly Shounen Magazine Wikipedia page also says that it's a shounen magazine. So it wouldn't make a lot of sense to say that manga released in a shounen magazine are seinen, wouldn't it?

I also mentioned this to the past to a different user. The content of a manga isn't what decides its "genre demographics". It's the magazine that it is published in that determines this.

Lumiax said:

In other words, pretty much this.
Jan 18, 2021 2:38 PM

Oct 2019
Phloup said:

The Weekly Shounen Magazine Wikipedia page also says that it's a shounen magazine. So it wouldn't make a lot of sense to say that manga released in a shounen magazine are seinen, wouldn't it?

I also mentioned this to the past to a different user. The content of a manga isn't what decides its "genre demographics". It's the magazine that it is published in that determines this.

Lumiax said:

Ok, thanks for responding. I guess I’ll consider it a seinen in my mind then lol. Are all the manga on MAL listed with the magazine publisher in mind?
Jan 18, 2021 3:11 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
AcbSnakeDemon said:
Phloup said:

Ok, thanks for responding. I guess I’ll consider it a seinen in my mind then lol. Are all the manga on MAL listed with the magazine publisher in mind?

I assume you're still taking about demographics? If so, then it's not really the publisher that we have to consider, but specifically the magazine (though we do check the publisher to make sure it is a reputable one). As for the magazine demographics, it's more or less depends on who the targeted audience of that magazine is (though I feel you already knew that).

I have no idea if this answers your question, but here you go.
Jan 18, 2021 3:45 PM

Oct 2019
Phloup said:
AcbSnakeDemon said:

I assume you're still taking about demographics? If so, then it's not really the publisher that we have to consider, but specifically the magazine (though we do check the publisher to make sure it is a reputable one). As for the magazine demographics, it's more or less depends on who the targeted audience of that magazine is (though I feel you already knew that).

Sorry, I meant to say “do all the genre demographics of manga listed in MAL correspond to the demographic of the magazine they are published in?”

So I guess if the manga was serialized in a shonen magazine, regardless of the demographic the original creator intended the work to appeal to, or if the story changed over time to be more seinen-like, it would still be considered shonen in the database. Does Hajime Isayama really have no say in the demographic?

So if AoT switched to a seinen magazine(although unlikely at this point) it’d be considered seinen right? Kinda like Jojos Part 7.
AcbSnakeDemonJan 18, 2021 4:01 PM
Jan 18, 2021 5:31 PM

May 2018
AcbSnakeDemon said:
Lumiax said:

deg said:

Lmao

I've read a lot of shounen manga that are very violent and have sexual content, ranging from mild fanservice to literal sex scenes. Not all shounen manga will have the same age ratings. Shounen jump titles are targeted at younger teenagers (12 to 15 would be my guess) and The magazine Attack on Titan is in is targeted at older teenagers (16+), both are still under the shounen demographic.
Jan 18, 2021 5:51 PM

Feb 2019
It's published in Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine so it's a shōnen manga. That magazine is more permissive about "mature" content than Shōnen Jump so people gets confused usually. Check its other published works like "Happiness" or "Aku no Hana" and you'll see they're pretty "dark" in comparison to Naruto or One Piece.
Jan 18, 2021 5:58 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
AcbSnakeDemon said:
Phloup said:

Sorry, I meant to say “do all the genre demographics of manga listed in MAL correspond to the primary demographic of the magazine they are published in?”

So I guess if it’s a shonen magazine, regardless of the demographic the original creator intended the work to appeal to, or if the story changed over time to be more seinen-like, it’ll still be considered shonen in the database. Does Hajime Isayama really have no say in the demographic?

So if AoT switched to a seinen magazine(although unlikely at this point) it’d be considered seinen right? Kinda like Jojos Part 7.

The author may choose a target audience for their manga, but at the end of the day, the final demographic on MAL (and most other databases) is decided based on the magazine it's published in.

Hypothetically, if a manga from a shounen magazine is switched to a seinen magazine, both demographics would be included on the MAL entry. So say that were the case with AoT, it would be both seinen and shounen.
Jan 18, 2021 6:32 PM

Jun 2020
The fact that it is serialized in a shounen magazine shows that the target demographic was... well, the shounen demographic. Although at this point in the story I think it'd still do well if it were serialized in a seinen magazine. If you don't use the magazine serialization as the criterion for the manga's demographic then you'd be opening up the argument that it's shoujo because of how many Levi and Eren fangirls there are
Jan 18, 2021 7:42 PM

Oct 2017
AcbSnakeDemon said:
Lumiax said:

deg said:

Lmao

That isn't how things work demographic only matters in what magazine it is in. People can have all these subjective views on what should qualify and it makes it murky rather shonen is anything in a shonen magazine.

Plus I disagree honestly AOT still feels like it appeals to a YA demographic. It just shifted the kind of genre/focus it had that was all it's not like the writing became that much deeper. There were conversations even in the earlier arcs like the ones we have no. Sure the upper age group 16-18 but it doesn't feel like something aimed at adults. Honestly quite a bit of seinen content also I think would fall under being close to YA lit as well just again for people in their late teens and early 20s.

So yes it's aimed at hs and college students which tend to be the bigger reader base for shonen manga anyway. The content aimed at HS kids is still YA.
Jan 19, 2021 12:47 AM
Jan 2016
Attack on Titan was and still remains a shounen. It is not a seinen, since it is published in a shounen magazine. Shounen doesn't automatically mean immature or that it is mainly for kids, just as seinen doesn't automatically mean mature or that it is only targeted for adults. The official volumes also list AoT for 16+, so it's not like it doesn't target teens. You have to get this false notion out of you head people. Kuinaki Sentaku for example is a shoujo, because it was published in a shoujo magazine. Does it mean that it is mainly for girls? Of course not. But that doesn't make it seinen nor shounen.
CrimsonGeekJan 19, 2021 12:52 AM
Jan 19, 2021 4:55 PM

Feb 2017
Even if we talk about the actual content, it definitely appeals to teenagers first. This is clearly a type of story teenagers love and actively seek. It has everything that appeals to teenage boys: violence, mystery, some themes that can challenge them like ambiguity of war and history, etc. For a teenager it's a perfect story. Which is only proved by the fact that the largest amount of fans are teenagers of high school age.
Jan 19, 2021 5:33 PM

Jun 2012
AcbSnakeDemon said:
Does Hajime Isayama really have no say in the demographic?
Has Isayama called Attack on Titan a seinen Manga?

I think he probably sought out shounen magazines to publish his work because he wanted to readers of those publications to see it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 52 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

FastnessofWheels - Dec 5, 2013

187 by KcmcPro »»
Jun 10, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 27 Discussion

SixFlags - Nov 9, 2011

29 by KcmcPro »»
Jun 10, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1872 by therealnagora »»
Jun 8, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 82 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

keragamming - Jun 6, 2016

290 by CutieAnshin »»
Jun 7, 5:54 AM

» Attack on Titan Author upset about Pro Genocide criticism

deg - Apr 6, 2022

29 by Berry-Vodka »»
Jun 1, 8:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.