New
Nov 8, 2020 3:43 AM
Nov 8, 2020 6:36 PM
Nov 10, 2020 8:16 AM
Oct 2019
Should add blood of zeus
Nov 10, 2020 9:28 AM

Oct 2019
Might as well add Castlevania and Avatar. Don’t think either will be added to the database since they’re only anime inspired.
Would be cool if they did though
Nov 13, 2020 11:52 AM
Oct 2017
Im pretty sure that's not an anime. Neither are Castlevania or Last airbender as cool as they are. I don't even know why this is a conversation.
Nov 16, 2020 11:52 AM

May 2020
Teraplan0409 said:
Im pretty sure that's not an anime. Neither are Castlevania or Last airbender as cool as they are. I don't even know why this is a conversation.

I does state in the intro that it is an anime, although that being said it would not be what comes to mind when I think of anime.
Nov 16, 2020 10:37 PM

Jul 2020
Teraplan0409 said:

It literally said in the trailer a netflix original anime.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Nov 16, 2020 10:38 PM

Jul 2020
AcbSnakeDemon said:
Might as well add Castlevania and Avatar. Don’t think either will be added to the database since they’re only anime inspired.

Man if Avatar was added in mal it would beat Fmab.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Nov 16, 2020 11:32 PM

Feb 2019
looks kinda cool at least. might have to watch it :D
Nov 18, 2020 7:14 PM

Oct 2019
Teraplan0409 said:

Chinese and South Korean animated works are not anime either, however they are listed here, almost as if they were. The former are called "donghua" and the latter are called "hanguk aeni". Therefore MAL does not have, or at least does not enforce, a "Strictly anime are listed" rule (since anime suggests Japan) but a broader "Animated works from the Far East are listed" rule, even if -presumably- that is not explicitly stated anywhere.

I have no idea why animation from some other Far East countries would or should be listed but not American or European animation. Maybe because Chinese and South Korean animation often resembles Japanese anime or due to geographical proximity and/or a similar culture? I also don't know if animation from all Far East countries is allowed or just the above three countries.

For instance what about Thai or Vietnamese animation? It appears, counter-intuitively, that at least Thai animation is not allowed. I just looked up the animated Thai film Khan Kluay (Blue Elephant) here on MAL and could not find it. Why not? Because Thais, er, do not resemble the Japanese enough? I can only speculate since the rules of the eligible for MAL countries of origin appear to be arbitrary..

Red916 said:

Also no, Mal doesn't have Korean animation, they only have manhwas

Really? How do you account for this film then?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/548/Wonderful_Days

This is an original South Korean animated movie, or "hanguk aeni" (i.e. not a Japanese anime based on a manhwa or Korean webtoon) which also has been dubbed in Japanese. Wonderful Days, however, is not a "MAL eligibility exception" due to its Japanese dub. To my knowledge the Korean animated works below lack such a dub :

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34048/Seoul-yeok
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2141/Oseam
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2756/Cheonnyeon-yeowoo_Yeowoobi
https://myanimelist.net/anime/12035/Dwaeji-ui_Wang
etc etc ...

Like I mentioned before both Chinese and Korean animated works are commonly listed here but, as far as I know, they are the only two non Japanese "exceptions" that are allowed. If anyone knows of another one please let us know.
SharpedonFeb 16, 2021 6:56 AM
Nov 19, 2020 2:42 AM
Jul 2019
blood of zeus is retarded castlevania
Nov 21, 2020 2:49 AM
Mar 2012
How long does stuff like this usually take to get resolved?
Nov 21, 2020 7:45 AM

Nov 2015
Scordolo said:
Teraplan0409 said:

Because netflix likes to call anything adult "anime" and they see anime as a brand.
It's a american adult cartoon and American produced.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Nov 21, 2020 8:48 AM
Dec 2018
nutcracker432 said:
blood of zeus is retarded castlevania

Thank you for adding your opinion

Is that what u expected someone to say?
Or are you just trying to trigger the fans?
Nov 23, 2020 3:12 AM

Apr 2010
mxmlln said:
How long does stuff like this usually take to get resolved?

First off, someone should make an addition request. (I can't find any such attempt in the queue, although maybe I'm looking at it wrong.)

But, given all the arguments here (chiefly, that it's made by an American studio), there's a 99.9% chance it will be denied anyway. So, if it gets "resolved", it will be as a clear statement in the "this anime will never be on MyAnimeList" direction.

Really, don't expect to be able to add it to your list. It won't happen.
Nov 23, 2020 3:19 AM

Oct 2020
Old_School_Akira said:
Scordolo said:

Because netflix likes to call anything adult "anime" and they see anime as a brand.
It's a american adult cartoon and American produced.

You forgot the fact that the artstyle highly resembles that of Japanese anime. I don't think it's bad the Westerners are making similar content to Japanese anime. It should be viewed more as an hommage and I'm sure it helps in getting more people into the anime community.
Dec 15, 2020 7:26 PM
Jul 2018
Teraplan0409 said:

It is an anime, this website is wack for not adding them already. Just because it wasn't made in japan shouldn't mean anything.

Anime = short for animation.
Dec 15, 2020 7:34 PM
Oct 2017
Satoshi-Kon said:
Teraplan0409 said:

It is an anime, this website is wack for not adding them already. Just because it wasn't made in japan shouldn't mean anything.

Anime = short for animation.

aight mate hope they add rick and morty as well. Man I cant wait to put Futurama in my favorites.
Dec 15, 2020 10:15 PM

Jul 2020
Sorrowson said:
Scordolo said:

So? Do you consider marketing to be gospel? If I draw with crayon in a flip book, and call that anime, does it make it so?

I already got my answer in the above post.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 25, 2020 5:37 PM

Sep 2019
i dont acknowledge it
im trash
Dec 25, 2020 10:04 PM
Aug 2011
Scordolo said:
Teraplan0409 said:

Equally, I can sell you a cat and tell you it's a dog. Putting the word anime in there is only a marketing thing, it doesn't prove it "is" an anime under any specific definition. All that means is that they'd like their brand associated with Japanese cartoons because the term for that is more trendy.

Anyone can just say "I made an anime" but MAL uses a specific set of rules for what's included.

While breaking those rules doesn't hurt anyone, it would be bad for MAL's future since it would turn this place into a never-ending screaming match of "why not my show?" Think about it this way: if they caved to the ocassional "Add Avatar" threads do we think such threads would cease, or would people be trying to get hundreds of other pet-favorite cartoons added on the basis of "well you added Avatar so ..."

So what MAL does is the clever thing of only sticking to a strict definition - this also prevents the mods from arguing between themselves about what to add/not add.
cipheronDec 25, 2020 10:10 PM
Dec 25, 2020 10:07 PM

Jul 2020
cipheron said:
Scordolo said:

Equally, I can sell you a cat and tell you it's a dog. Putting the word anime in there is only a marketing thing, it doesn't prove it "is" an anime under any specific definition.

Anyone can just say "I made an anime" but MAL uses a specific set of rules for what's included.

While breaking those rules doesn't hurt anyone, it would be bad for MAL's future since it would turn this place into a never-ending screaming match of "why not my show?" Think about it this way: if they caved to the ocassional "Add Avatar" threads do we think such threads would cease, or would people be trying to get hundreds of other pet-favorite cartoons added on the basis of "well you added Avatar so ..."

So what MAL does is the clever thing of only sticking to a strict definition - this also prevents the mods from arguing between themselves about what to add/not add.

Can you read the above posts?I literally said that I got my answers.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 26, 2020 5:05 AM

Jun 2012
Production Company: Powerhouse Animation Studios

Looks like it's not an anime but a cartoon.
Jan 2, 2021 8:15 PM

Feb 2019
Mal please don't add blood of zeus
Its not anime just a anime wannabe shit
Jan 26, 2021 9:01 AM

Nov 2017
Teraplan0409 said:

If china and Korea can make anime that are in the site then why can't Canada?
Feb 3, 2021 8:24 PM
Feb 2021
Blood of Zeus and Castlevania are both Anime adaptations of currently existing things. One is made from pieces of mythology the other is based off a game series made and published by Konami in Japan, They are made in the same art style as an anime and are even considered anime's by their creator's (Both are made by the same studio under Netflix) Also if its because of where they are produced any Chinese or Korean productions should be removed as well because they are not made in Japan. I mean and attempt to explain this in the most respectable and least biased way, please consider adding them.
Feb 5, 2021 10:04 AM

Sep 2017
Scordolo said:
AcbSnakeDemon said:

Man if Avatar was added in mal it would beat Fmab.

It wouldn't even be in Top 500.
Feb 5, 2021 2:43 PM

Oct 2014
Bump

Agreed. If Scissor Seven is on MAL so should Avatar, Castlevania, and Blood of Zeus.
Message me for Fate/ information
Feb 15, 2021 10:35 PM
Oct 2018
Sharpedon said:
Teraplan0409 said:

Chinese and South Korean animated works are not anime either, however they are listed here, almost as if they were. The former are called "donghua" and the latter are called "hanguk aeni". Therefore MAL does not have, or at least does not enforce, a "Strictly anime are listed" rule (since anime suggests Japan) but a broader "Animated works from the Far East are listed" rule, even if -presumably- that is not explicitly stated anywhere.

I have no idea why animation from some other Far East countries would or should be listed but not American or European animation. Maybe because Chinese and South Korean animation often resembles Japanese anime or due to geographical proximity and/or a similar culture? I also don't know if animation from all Far East countries is allowed or just the above three countries.

For instance what about Thai or Vietnamese animation? It appears, counter-intuitively, that at least Thai animation is not allowed. I just looked up the animated Thai film Khan Kluay (Blue Elephant) here on MAL and could not find it. Why not? Because Thais, er, do not resemble the Japanese enough? I can only speculate since the rules of the eligible for MAL countries of origin appear to be arbitrary..
chinease donghuas and manhuas have a high demand among anime fans and can be found in regular anime pirating so they add them to their database, there's no demand for Thai animation among anime fans neither they share a art style resembling anime,if they started adding every single thing made by Eastern countries, the site would just end up coughing up with useless entries so they are not listed. Just that simple

Also no, Mal doesn't have Korean animation, they only have manhwas
Feb 15, 2021 10:45 PM
Oct 2018
Attackergoal said:
Teraplan0409 said:

If china and Korea can make anime that are in the site then why can't Canada?
Mal seems to allow stuff made in china because of its fanbase within the anime community , even if Canada were to make something with anime style Mal wouldn't list it just like rwby , Mal only includes stuffs made by Japanese studio, made within Japan, or by people Mal considers to be professional japanease animators.(same applies to the chinease animations)

Also yet again, Mal doesn't have any Korean animation
Miche1Feb 15, 2021 10:49 PM
Feb 26, 2021 3:21 AM
Sep 2016
+1 it should be added
Nov 15, 2021 5:21 AM
Jun 2020
It says Netflix original anime. What is so confusing?
Nov 15, 2021 5:30 AM

Jul 2019
Yusufdroid said:
It says Netflix original anime. What is so confusing?
it is an American production. If that goes in, I will be the first to throw Spongebob Squarepants in the queue too
Nov 15, 2021 7:46 AM

Jan 2020
Doesn't meet the guidelines.
Dec 3, 2021 9:44 PM
Dec 2021
is it good anime or what ?

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8776 by Faridun »»
4 hours ago

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ganji_No_Tensai - Mar 30, 2023

765 by BRSxIgnition »»
6 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

719 by razisgosu »»
9 hours ago

» If Scott Pilgrim isn't allowed on MAL, please enforce your rules properly and remove Afro Samurai ( 1 2 )

_cjessop19_ - Nov 19, 2023

99 by CatSoul »»
Jun 9, 6:49 PM

» Why is Blue Eye Samurai not on MAL? ( 1 2 )

-DxP- - Dec 1, 2023

51 by EnderVsqz626 »»
Jun 8, 6:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.