Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 4, 2019 3:19 AM

Jun 2014
Anyone else feels like Shield Hero was a bit different and enjoyable in the beginning but now has just become a mediocre isekai like all the others out there. I am not even excited about any new episodes anymore. Does anyone else feel the same? Note that I don't care if you enjoy the show and I am not hating/judging.
May 4, 2019 6:38 AM

Dec 2015
Yes thank you! The first 4 episodes were amazing specially when they were focusing on the injustice of the royal family towards the MC. When that was the focus of Shield Hero, I was actually enjoying the show a lot. But right now, it's just boring. The show started to be about making more loli characters for Naofumi group.
May 4, 2019 6:50 AM

Sep 2014
This show is okay. The early episodes weren't that better to begin with. And I believe people should already have expected this to be an isekai which should resemble to every other isekai. I mean it's not supposed to be anything else beside a isekai so these tropes are to be expected.
May 4, 2019 6:50 AM
Oct 2018
We just need some drama, struggling scene, and so on. Let's wait for it.
May 4, 2019 6:53 AM

Feb 2019
These episodes feel like fillers because they really did not help to developed the main plot all since: Filo did not develop as a character did not learn anything in this fight is still a one-dimensional character without more character than being an archetype of sweet and pretty girl.
We did not get much information even though the Fitoria knew a lot about the hero, Nao could have asked questions, but he did not,
The whole scene of threat to the heroes resulted in a farce to prove to Filo that as I said it only served to demonstrate his brute strength
The worst of all is that although the party of the MC is small these have not had a good characterization or an arc dedicated to them because everything in is making a big effort to make naofumi to look good.
May 4, 2019 6:59 AM

Jan 2013
Hrybami said:
This show is okay. The early episodes weren't that better to begin with. And I believe people should already have expected this to be an isekai which should resemble to every other isekai. I mean it's not supposed to be anything else beside a isekai so these tropes are to be expected.
You make it sound like every isekai is the same, which isn't true.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 4, 2019 7:03 AM

Dec 2013
Although I wouldn't argue it was good at any point, it has definitely become indistinguishable from the plethora of isekai after the start.

That's how these LNs usually go. They start out with a strong concept that lures the readers in but they soon fall back to the standard isekai conventions because of the writer's lack of ability. Let's just say I've read way too many stories like those.
May 4, 2019 7:04 AM

Jul 2013
This I agree too. If anything I slowly lose interest in the manga as well. It starts out as a decent adventure series with Naofumi trying clear his name whist dealing with the wave of monsters. But it reduces to a bland harem-esque comedy. I dropped this weeks episode tbh cause it was painfully boring.

May 4, 2019 7:08 AM

May 2018
Well, your thread title pretty much sums it up.
I wouldn't say the show is bad or boring at any point, though sometimes it comes close. But when compared to the first four episodes, Tate no Yuusha never regained that spark it had during the beginning.
I'm now 9 volumes into the manga, still nothing has been as striking as the first two aka ep 1-4.
That might change when the third wave appears but oh well.
May 4, 2019 7:17 AM

Jan 2013
NthDegree said:
Although I wouldn't argue it was good at any point, it has definitely become indistinguishable from the plethora of isekai after the start.

That's how these LNs usually go. They start out with a strong concept that lures the readers in but they soon fall back to the standard isekai conventions because of the writer's lack of ability. Let's just say I've read way too many stories like those.
What are the so called standard isekai conventions?

May 4, 2019 7:23 AM
Dec 2018
Nop i really ben enjoing the show is what makes me want get up early every wednesday sure the show has some flaws and changes but i still love it. But like any show is really what your into i ben a fan of the series for 4 years since i first read the LN vol 1.
May 4, 2019 7:24 AM

Dec 2016
GalacticMagna said:
This I agree too. If anything I slowly lose interest in the manga as well. It starts out as a decent adventure series with Naofumi trying clear his name whist dealing with the wave of monsters. But it reduces to a bland harem-esque comedy. I dropped this weeks episode tbh cause it was painfully boring.

For me it when MC name got clear then i drop the manga, it just devolved into standard harem manga with really stupid character. Like that chicken queen contribute nothing to the plot.
Cabron said:
NthDegree said:

Mostly harem antic without real plot-progression like it just padding.
May 4, 2019 7:35 AM

Sep 2014
Cabron said:
Hrybami said:

Oh sorry I didn't mean to say that every isekai is the same, but rather that they do share a lot of common features and caracteristics and I see that people got bored of these similarities. I'm just pointing out that this show is not much different than the other isekai and that doesn't directly make this a bad thing. As an isekai anime, I believe this isn't a bad show because it still has some qualities going for it.
May 4, 2019 7:36 AM

Jul 2013
ExaltedChampion said:
GalacticMagna said:

For me it when MC name got clear then i drop the manga, it just devolved into standard harem manga with really stupid character. Like that chicken queen contribute nothing to the plot.

I wouldn't say that tbh. It was more or less forgetting its other part which was dealing the wave of monsters. The current arc is pretty much dealing with the Spirit turtle and I can't get myself to care about it.

May 4, 2019 8:12 AM
Dec 2018
Hrybami said:
Cabron said:

Oh sorry I didn't mean to say that every isekai is the same, but rather that they do share a lot of common features and caracteristics and I see that people got bored of these similarities. I'm just pointing out that this show is not much different than the other isekai and that doesn't directly make this a bad thing. As an isekai anime, I believe this isn't a bad show because it still has some qualities going for it.
again is mostly what your into for me school life anime is the generic ones always boy meets girl, is a lovy dovy comedy all the way expect the 2 last episodes who is always someone getting in the middle of them. Is why i dint care much about love is war.
May 4, 2019 8:13 AM

Dec 2013
Cabron said:
NthDegree said:

Overpowered MC adventuring with a bunch of cute girls in a fantasy RPG setting. Like @ExaltedChampion pointed out the tediously slow progression is also an issue.

We can argue about the MC's power level in comparison to Glass, but 90% of time she's off-screen and we're left with boring harem hijinks with zero sense of danger. The other heroes are so weak they're not even worth mentioning here.
May 4, 2019 10:38 AM

May 2016
Agreed. I really liked the first four episodes, it felt very fresh compared to other isekai shows I had seen. But the pacing and plot didn't feel right after that, and even when there were episodes that LN readers said were gonna knock my socks off they felt underwhelming. These last few episodes feel really generic.

May 4, 2019 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
There has not been enough drama. Melty cannot be the only driving force of the problems; we need to see some more Glass and Wave fights. The show has shifted from being about the injustice acted upon the Shield Hero to whether or not Naofumi wants to save the world with his brigade of lethal lolies.
May 4, 2019 2:29 PM

Dec 2016
No. This show was mediocre from the beginning and the "freshness" and "originality" was a sham. The circumstances of the first episode were contrived and poorly-executed, and underneath the facade of edginess was the same litany of tropes typical of isekai and the average modern anime.

The entire appeal of this show was riding on a single idea in the first four episodes. That doesn't make a great setup for a story that will sustain over a 2-cour series.
May 4, 2019 2:45 PM

Nov 2018
This show went from having potential to a typical isekai.
May 4, 2019 4:10 PM

Jan 2013
Remember when isekai use to not be like that?
Where did it change?

Hrybami said:
Cabron said:

That just sounds like "modern" isekai or what's currently "in" right now with said isekai.

May 4, 2019 4:59 PM

May 2014
Hrybami said:
And I believe people should already have expected this to be an isekai which should resemble to every other isekai. I mean it's not supposed to be anything else beside a isekai so these tropes are to be expected.

And yet people kept telling this was going to be "different from other isekais" and it was going to be really good because of that. It's not surprising a lot of people got high expectations and then got disappointed after seeing that actually the serie has nothing different as they proclaimed.

People keep lying like this every time a popular isekai LN adaptation is confirmed.
May 4, 2019 6:04 PM
Mar 2019
Expecting well written Isekai stories that don't go downhill was your first mistake.
May 4, 2019 6:27 PM
Nov 2013
I think it made it's decline around episode 8 when it started using more cgi and the story hasn't progressed much since then, but it's still pretty good. It's a lot better than Slime, SAO, Re:Zero or any other Isekai I've seen other than Kono Suba.
May 4, 2019 8:15 PM

Dec 2013
Cabron said:
Where did it change?

You mean back when isekai was still dominated by female MCs like in Escaflowne, MKR, Fushigi Yuugi, 12 Kingdoms and Inuyasha etc? As for your answer... it changed when SAO became popular.

Yep, yep. SAO is the root of all evil as per usual :D
May 4, 2019 9:22 PM

Oct 2013
Cabron said:
Where did it change?

Hrybami said:

That just sounds like "modern" isekai or what's currently "in" right now with said isekai.

Exactly it is your typical isekai, I read the manga a few years back up to chapter 30 something and it was painful average, watch the anime thinking it may be a better experience, still painfully average.

Not sure what people saw in this series to begin with.
May 5, 2019 4:18 AM

Jan 2015
what a surprise, cant say I didn't tell ppl its trash
May 5, 2019 4:33 AM
( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.

Jul 2013
papsoshea said:
I called it out from the beginning despite all the "MUH SUBVERSION" crowd saying to give it a chance since it was going to be something completely different, never-before-seen, etc. But just like Goblin Slayer, it had a cheap plot device that fooled edgelords into thinking they were going to something dark and mature - but it turned out to be everything we expected from modern WN/LN fantasy/adventure. As for today's isekai, Shield Hero is just another dumpster fire in the catalog.

I came to this place expecting a response from you. You did not disappoint 11/10

Show is really mediocre to me. Beautiful visuals and good OST, but everything else isn't catching my interest enough. I have to say that I really liked the relationship between Naofumi and Raphtalia in the beginning, but once Filo appeared, my enthusiasm vanished. I still need to watch the last 2 episodes that came out, although I need to force myself by now.

I will show no mercy for you
You had no mercy for me
The only thing that I ask
Love me mercilessly
May 5, 2019 4:56 AM

Dec 2013
papsoshea said:
I called it out from the beginning despite all the "MUH SUBVERSION" crowd saying to give it a chance since it was going to be something completely different, never-before-seen, etc. But just like Goblin Slayer, it had a cheap plot device that fooled edgelords into thinking they were going to something dark and mature - but it turned out to be everything we expected from modern WN/LN fantasy/adventure. As for today's isekai, Shield Hero is just another dumpster fire in the catalog.

Make no mistake - the people defending the show on this forum were mostly people who were into WN/LN/manga, so they already knew how the story ended up and still chose to stand up for it. This is why I got into so many arguments about it, since as everyone can see by now, the writing on the show is.... just bad. It wasn't just a case of people being fooled by the first episode for the most of them...

Of course, there were plenty of people who hadn't read the story beforehand but the most vocal defenders most certainly had.
May 5, 2019 6:58 AM

Feb 2019
I dropped him weeks ago could not stand more of the nonsense of history and his horrible script.
May 5, 2019 7:10 AM

Oct 2017
I think that the show had a fairly strong hook, and it could have developed that into a narrative around political intrigue, which I don't think many isekai anime have tackled. I was also interested in seeing a legitimately underpowered isekai MC be handled seriously. Like, we have plenty of wish-fulfillment shows, and the manner in which Naofumi was portrayed in the first couple of episodes made me think we wouldn't get another of those.

Essentially at this point Naofumi is swagging around with his harem of three underage girls and solving every problem he comes across easily. Does he have any major character flaws? The writers haven't seemed to bother with those for him. Naofumi's only "weak point" that's RELEVANT TO THE STORY is his reputation, but it doesn't seem to challenge him much anymore.

Point is, anime are satisfying to watch when well-built characters overcome legitimately difficult obstacles after trials and tribulations. Shield Hero has lost that spirit, and so yeah, it's definitely going downhill.
May 5, 2019 5:00 PM
Nov 2018
I totally agree, but in the present time, I'm gonna keep watching to the end. I'm pretty sure that the obvious reason why many people are watching this series is because Raphtalia. The series has definitely lost a potential, but it's still okey. We just have too wait and see, hopefully not as big disappointment as the ending of Bunny girl Senpai.
May 5, 2019 5:03 PM

Dec 2013
Hrybami said:

That's not the problem with this show tho.
It's just poorly written. Like some 15y horny teenager wrote this or smth.

Nothing makes sense.
May 5, 2019 5:19 PM

Feb 2019
it has always been mediocre. Honestly, there's not much point in sticking with it once it has started to lose its flavor for you.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 5, 2019 10:28 PM
Mar 2019
The-Ray said:
Anyone else feels like Shield Hero was a bit different and enjoyable in the beginning but now has just become a mediocre isekai like all the others out there. I am not even excited about any new episodes anymore. Does anyone else feel the same? Note that I don't care if you enjoy the show and I am not hating/judging.
I don't blame the audience if the program is slowly becoming a bit boring to them, because basically the anime studio messes everything up from the storyline, they change the original story from LN and manga a lot, actually LN and manga are really good, it seems the studio is trying to make anime Shield hero Their own version , even though I was disappointed I would still watch until the end to see the extent of the final story until it was made
LukesterryMay 5, 2019 10:35 PM
May 5, 2019 10:33 PM
Aug 2018
completely agree. i was so thrilled to see what was coming next, and his father to daughter relation with raphtalia was so different than the standard isekai. then it turned into a shitty harem, no development, no good fights, boring lolis everywhere and even raphtalia started to grow romantic feelings for the shield hero, which was kind of disgusting at least for me. one of the most disappointing animes ever.
May 6, 2019 12:10 AM

Oct 2018
The starting few episodes were really good but now it's your typical isekai show
May 6, 2019 10:44 AM
Oct 2018
Even korean novels are doing better that Japanese isekai. They should really start adapting korean novels like second coming of avarice or the novel's extra. Both of them have a far better stories and character.
May 6, 2019 11:13 AM
Aug 2018
Yeah it was never good really.
i don't really understand the 'it was very good at first but now it's just your regular isekai'.
Or actually.. now that i think about it, i actually do. Since in the beginning it was like 'damn this boy gonna go against the status quo and shiz' and now it's more like 'traveling around with my Racoon gf and my pet loli'. i can actually see where people are coming from.
anyway, the writing has always been mediocre at best, full of bland characters. From the very beginning it should be obvious that it wasn't going to be anything groundbreaking, or at least that's what i felt like
May 6, 2019 11:31 AM

Dec 2013
Lukesterry said:
The-Ray said:
I don't blame the audience if the program is slowly becoming a bit boring to them, because basically the anime studio messes everything up from the storyline, they change the original story from LN and manga a lot, actually LN and manga are really good, it seems the studio is trying to make anime Shield hero Their own version , even though I was disappointed I would still watch until the end to see the extent of the final story until it was made

I'm not sure what the anime is like at this point, but LN most definitely got even worse after the first arc and by that I mean unbearably boring. People always try to defend things by saying the original is better but let me tell you, the original is terrible. There is no defending it.

I have no idea how I even managed to get to LN vol 7 before finally dropping it for good.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 29, 2019

429 by Prupel1 »»
Jun 8, 2:51 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2019

402 by MaauFe »»
May 20, 4:42 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2019

546 by ridly »»
May 6, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2019

243 by ridly »»
May 6, 6:22 PM

Poll: » Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2019

271 by Der_Body »»
Apr 26, 9:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.