Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 14, 2009 6:00 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
More talk, no action. I'm getting the feeling that we may well not get a full resolution of the mystery of Selecao in this short TV anime series.
May 14, 2009 8:26 PM
Jan 2008
dbaranyi said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
More talk, no action. I'm getting the feeling that we may well not get a full resolution of the mystery of Selecao in this short TV anime series.

Gotta leave something for the movie :p
May 15, 2009 3:00 AM

Nov 2008
pandamaster said:
dbaranyi said:

Gotta leave something for the movie :p

Urrrrrrr - I hope that they don't leave the series hanging. :-(
May 15, 2009 2:23 PM

Jul 2008
Mittan~~~!!!
Jesus that was cute; awesome nickname Akira, I give you a 10/10 for that. This said, now that we've actually seen a bit of her character, she's absolutely adorable D:

Anyhoo, with the exception of the first minute and a half, and the last thirty seconds, I'd have to vote this the most humorous, least srs bsns episode of the series to date. Of course, this is due partly in large to Kasuga and these two scenes in particular...

Now, of course, that is to say that that just because it wasn't srs bsns, we didn't get any plot development. Quite the contrary, actually. We got some development on Shiratori, revealing her as the "Johnny Taker" who has taken roughly 20,000 victims to date, as well as Selecao XI(hey, it's a number!). Past this, we got some insight into the club, as well as Eden of the East, the program developed by the club which Akira seems to be supporting now.

In terms of speculation, I'm really unsure of where this is going to go. Ohsugi seems to be screwed, but I figure if he was to die, he would have by now. There's also the number 20,000 which XI has taken care of. Number sounds familiar, right? Well it's the same number of NEETs that Akira rounded up. Lastly, Ohsugi in his attempts to escape his confines, knocked over an apple. Nothing, really, until you consider the prominent role it has at the start of the ending sequence, coupled with the actual story of Eden. One has to wonder if either of these hold any significance, but maybe I'm just looking into it too much now :D. At any rate, like normal I can't wait for next week's episode, this is killer. (rimshot)

I also agree, they better not leave this series on a cliffhanger. I'll cry.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
May 15, 2009 2:30 PM

Apr 2009
Despite this having been full of talking, I rather enjoyed it. A number of spots made me giggle, and it was nice to learn more about a few other characters--even if Ohsugi's fate is still up in the air. I'm thinking that this was a good spot for a lighter episode before all hell starts breaking loose in the episodes to come.

Unfortunately, it seems like there's no way we're going to get a solid conclusion at the end of the series. It's hard enough waiting each week for the new episodes; having to wait who knows how long after the series ends for the movie is going to be killer! :(
May 15, 2009 2:57 PM

Sep 2007
This was an interesting episode. I wonder what were Akira's intentions in supporting the Eden of East program. How is that club going to help Akira in figuring out the Selecao game?
May 15, 2009 3:29 PM

Mar 2008
Anyone see the possible connection between the mobile shot of the apple and the apple in the ending song theme?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2009 3:30 PM

Aug 2007
I want to know who the Supporter is. =o
Usotsuki. 
May 15, 2009 3:37 PM

Jul 2008
sugarplumfairy said:
Anyone see the possible connection between the mobile shot of the apple and the apple in the ending song theme?
Bakayaro said:
Lastly, Ohsugi in his attempts to escape his confines, knocked over an apple. Nothing, really, until you consider the prominent role it has at the start of the ending sequence, coupled with the actual story of Eden.

sup bro

Prolly looking into it too much, but my spider sense is tingling. Prolly related... somehow.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
May 15, 2009 4:01 PM

Oct 2008
Jut have to feel for Oosugi. First his childhood friend whom he thinks of as more than a friend (with her being the only one that doesn't realize it) blows him off twice for a guy she just met and whom she seems to like. Then he gets kidnapped by someone with the most hilarious criminal name ever, The Johnny Taker, something that probably wouldn't have even happened if he had gone to dinner with Saki as planned.

I'm surprised that people think he will die though. My guess is that Akira rescues him, which while better than not getting rescued, would also stink for him since it would bring Saki even closer to him.
May 15, 2009 4:26 PM

Jun 2008
I was kinda confused at first about the club thing. Anyway It was an OK episode.
May 15, 2009 4:37 PM

Jan 2009
Mittan is cute~! o3o
May 15, 2009 5:04 PM

May 2007
i've got really confused. X__X

what is the program that they created?

May 15, 2009 5:21 PM

Dec 2007
sugarplumfairy said:

There were red apples in death note to, but in the end the author revealed that they had no meaning ..

anyway, pretty confusing episode, i think i'll have to watch it again tomorow when im more awake :P..
would love it if they could describe the eden program more, like a little more about how its working etc. how can it set notes on people? ok, i can understand that it can put notes on bridges and famous stuff like that and i can even buy that it can recognize different stuff like TV's etc. but how can it put notes on people? i mean, someone must have put the information on there and i find it unlikely that people themselves would put personal information for everyone to see with just a camera. and if anyone can uploud anything to the network the program is using, then its worthless.
May 15, 2009 5:35 PM

Oct 2008
Yep agree, episode was a bit confusing and I still don't know how they are going to wrap this series up with only 5 more episodes left. There are still so many questions that need answers!

Liked the fireworks at the end pretty cool.
May 15, 2009 5:49 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Uh, yeah. I don't really have a clue where this is going but it was an enjoyable episode. Wonder if Ohsugi's Johnny is gonna make it or not.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 15, 2009 5:50 PM

Feb 2008
A cigar a day takes teh Johnny away. Smoking is BAD!

oh btw: What's going on?
De-JaYMay 15, 2009 5:53 PM
May 15, 2009 6:33 PM

Nov 2007
Saki's friends are cute ... especially "Mittan" and Hirasawa ^_~

With Ohsugi staying alive as long as he has, I hope he's able to make it out OK. I can't believe Shiratori has taken 20,000 victims ... jeez, there must be some reason why her "messiah" status hasn't been revoked yet. Obviously some significance to 20,000, but I wonder what. (Of course, the way the series keeps bringing back the term "johnny," one would almost think there's some significance *there* too, heh.)

I don't have much to say this episode. The main things seems to be the focus on NEETs and the introduction of Eden of the East's program. I feel like I'll need to watch this ep. again (or see a few more eps) before I really understand things on those two topics ^^;

On an unrelated note, I love the variety in the character designs. Without looking too "weird" (other than maybe Shiratori), all the characters introduced so far have been unique in appearance. Yay for allowing us to distinguish the characters by something other than their hair color.

Also ... anyone know the insert song? It sounded like it was in English.
EDIT: Definitely in English, seems (from what I could catch) that the lyrics are the same as some of the words printed in the opening sequence.
SennaMay 15, 2009 6:38 PM

[avatar from Tales of the Abyss]
May 15, 2009 7:05 PM

Aug 2007
Weak episode if you ask me, just made me more confused.
May 15, 2009 7:49 PM

Jul 2007
This episode was pretty bad. Watching it felt like walking in on an inside joke, everyone is laughing but you're just standing there clueless. Up until now the introduction of characters and details has been smooth and explained well enough to get by. Now suddenly there's 3 new people, a club, a program, and for some reason these new people need help with something but don't want it from Akira because he's not NEET. They just dumped a load of details with no context and spoke in very ambiguous terms. I hope the rest of the series isn't like this.
May 15, 2009 8:25 PM
May 2008
... EH?

Ok, I adore you from the deeps of my soul, Eden of the East.
But you're confusing me WAY TOO MUCH lately.

How the heck will that program save Japan?
... Giving work to the NEETs?

... err. I seriously didn't understand anything here.
Heh, guess I'll have to watch it again later.
May 15, 2009 8:46 PM

May 2007
Blue haired women scares the crap outta me. And the Eden of the East program with the images labels and stuff sounds pretty cool. :D I wanna learn more about the Selecao and Akira's past~

May 15, 2009 8:59 PM

Jun 2007
My 2 cents - if you are confused then the writer(s) did their job. Anyway I think that's how this anime will play out and i think ALL will probably be revealed in the end. Why are we having this boring episode where we meet her friends and learn about Eden of the east? Has anyone considered maybe the fact that one of these friends is a selecao? or maybe even the supporter? Who knows?

The only question we can really come close to answering at this point is: Will Ohsugi keep his Johnny or not?

EDIT: I tried looking up that insert song and besides being the words in the opening I couldn't figure out who sings it. I did fine someone who posted the lyrics though.
ani__May 15, 2009 9:08 PM

I've Been Watching Anime for 20 years now. Can you beat that?
May 15, 2009 9:14 PM

Feb 2009
i thought it was great, i really like how the storys developing, i look forward to episode 7

im not sure about the song during the episode, but the song in the OP is Falling Down by Oasis
Anime makes me smile!

:-)
May 15, 2009 9:20 PM

May 2008
PatitoPeke said:
... EH?

Reducing the ever increasing unemployment rate of Japan can be the most efficient way to save Japan.
IV joined police, and went bankrupt. (I don't know what measures he took)
V used the money to increase the size of his medical corporation to save whom he can save with his abilities. (failed due to bankruptcy using the money to get the votes or whatever)
I believe Akira's plan has worked the best so far being most cost efficient.
How much does he still have.. 6 billion?

The new girl (XI?) is probably building up on her corporation with her fund and killing off depressed men by seducing them in her personal enjoyment but still reducing the population of failures of society.

WHO KNOWS MY HEAD'S ABOUT TO EXPLODE
juunMay 15, 2009 9:46 PM
May 15, 2009 9:48 PM

Feb 2009
I liked this episode but I think I need to rewatch it ><

I didnt really get what Eden of the East's program was and all that...
May 15, 2009 9:53 PM
Jul 2018
My take on what happened (just to add to the ongoing discussion of trying to explain it to those who didn't get it) is that it was basically an episode that established the start for Akira's plans to achieve his goal (which was realized in the last episode). He struck out an agreement to fund/support the club/company "Eden of the East" (which Saki is a part of) and their product, an image recognition network. As for why, it's likely because he sees it as a means or tool in bringing social influence and power to the new generation of Japan.

I think the key line was "but, with the development of image recognition technology, even things that seemed to be piles of junk could be turned into valuable products."

Also, the story surrounding Shiratori was pushed forward and we now know she was the mass murderer of 20,000 young males and has her eyes set on Ohsugi (who's struggling to get images out to the public to save his penis and life).

Of course there was more, but I think those were really the important points.

My opinion of the episode:

+New characters... while underdeveloped were at least charismatic.
+Character development for Saki, Akira, Shiratori.
+I thought the light-hearted atmosphere was nice and a good switch up from the serious / somber tone of the last episode. Especially the firework scene with the insert song.
+Incredible animation continues on from last episode's recovery after a couple of down episodes.
+Last episode established Akira's goal as a selecao. This episode kicked off his means to an end.

-Confusing and contrived communication of information. Not a first... and probably not a last... so get used to it.
-Pacing consistency.
-We were given a handful of supporting characters all in a single episode with little individual development in a series that has just 5 episodes (and a movie) left. I don't know what to think of that yet.
removed-userMay 15, 2009 10:02 PM
May 15, 2009 9:53 PM

Apr 2008
interesting episode =D hope the next will be just as interesting

May 15, 2009 10:16 PM

Sep 2008
Great episode, i really like the detailed plot and ideas of this series. Confused about a ton of things though. Should all make sense by the end.
May 15, 2009 10:26 PM
Nov 2007
I agree with most people this was a confusing episode.
The selecao womans voice doesn't fit in my opinion, needs to sound a bit sexier.
May 15, 2009 10:39 PM

Aug 2006
juun said:
PatitoPeke said:
... EH?

Reducing the ever increasing unemployment rate of Japan can be the most efficient way to save Japan.
IV joined police, and went bankrupt. (I don't know what measures he took)
V used the money to increase the size of his medical corporation to save whom he can save with his abilities. (failed due to bankruptcy using the money to get the votes or whatever)
I believe Akira's plan has worked the best so far being most cost efficient.
How much does he still have.. 6 billion?

The new girl (XI?) is probably building up on her corporation with her fund and killing off depressed men by seducing them in her personal enjoyment but still reducing the population of failures of society.

WHO KNOWS MY HEAD'S ABOUT TO EXPLODE

What you just said kind of explains a lot about the story so far.

I had about the same theory myself, although I'm curious as to how Saki's friends play into all of this.
May 15, 2009 10:55 PM

May 2008
They are jobless NEETs who tried to further develop their product Higashi no Eden into business, but failed because (fill in whatever the guy said in the anime about HnE).
May 15, 2009 11:56 PM

May 2008
sigh, a slight change in the show, i wanted to see the process of how Ohsugi got tied up hmmm

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 16, 2009 12:36 AM

May 2009
greenmush said:
sigh, a slight change in the show, i wanted to see the process of how Ohsugi got tied up hmmm

ya me too, this episode was ok i guess, it didnt leave me hanging like the other ones but i still want to know more, i just hope he doesnt get kill by that white hair chick >.>
May 16, 2009 2:02 AM

Apr 2009
Poor Ohsugi, i hope nothing happens to his "jonny".
I really really like this anime. Hopefully my questions will be answered soon.. I cant wait for the next episode. :3
May 16, 2009 2:03 AM

Apr 2008
A good comic relief episode that showed some growth in Akira's plan to improve Japan through bettering the NEETs to Japan's societal standards. Not the best episode so far but it was charming and it's nice for a show this serious to have some moments like this so you don't get too wrapped up or confused
May 16, 2009 3:11 AM
Feb 2008
Good to see that everyone wants to help Tkizawa "save" japan and so but there are still lots of things that I don't understand I guess I have to rewatch this episode to hopefully I'll understand more then ..
May 16, 2009 4:14 AM

Jun 2008
I don't know what the fuck is going here. But I really enjoyed it.
May 16, 2009 5:41 AM

Mar 2008
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's confused after this episode.. I hope I will understand more about it next week.
May 16, 2009 6:55 AM
Jul 2008
I am utterly baffled. In the span of one and a half episodes, this show went from being my clear favorite this season to being a puddle of nonsense. Maybe I should have expected this. After comparing it with the meh quality of Chaos Head, some sort of regression to the mean was inevitable. Still, it's unfortunate that this series had to suddenly discard all of its interesting characterization to focus on such random, one dimensional new "plot" and "characters".

I'll give this one more episode, but I'm really not expecting to ever like this show again.
May 16, 2009 7:02 AM

Jun 2008
After reading the posts here, I understand the storyline a little better.
I like how mysterious and confusing this show is.
I believe one of the methods used to save Japan was reducing the population of Japan. Akira seemed to try that before he lost his memories, but the lady seems to be trying that now.
Note: I decided not to accept random friend requests. Most of the ones I accept will be people I know from other sites unless I get to know some people here. (=^_^=)
May 16, 2009 7:05 AM

Jul 2008
interesting seems like they have met and kinda a bit of ironic
Akira (b4 memory swap) gathered neets into his building and killed about 20000 of them i think , and now the current one is planning to help them
so wouldnt it be bad if they found out that he killed Neets and could possibly think that Akira would backstab them?

o wells looking forward to next episode =D
May 16, 2009 7:08 AM
Jul 2018
To the above two users, Akira didn't kill the NEETs. He gathered them up and dropped them off in Dubai... where he prompted them to fend for themselves and learn to live a forward moving life.

Ultimately, judging from Akira's encounter with one of those NEETs near the beginning of the last episode, it seems as though they're better off now. While gratitude wasn't verbally expressed (atleast not from what I remember), you could tell the NEET he ran into was thankful for the push Akira gave him.

He was never trying to kill people or reduce the population. You could speculate that he's working towards the exact same goal he was working towards before -- it's just that his means to that end are different (but perhaps not totally so).
removed-userMay 16, 2009 7:18 AM
May 16, 2009 7:09 AM

Oct 2008
dld'ding now
May 16, 2009 7:26 AM

Apr 2009
I wouldn't want to be a victim of the "Johnny Taker" ;<
Poor Ohsugi.. I hope his Johnny won't be harmed :(
And the picture of that victim in the last episode got even more ugly..
May 16, 2009 8:15 AM

Aug 2007
Seriously, why was that guy hiding at that desk? Guess he's a neet//hikikomori or something. Lots of talking this episode, couldn't understand all of it. Looks like Eden is a identify program...
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
May 16, 2009 8:17 AM
May 2008
Well now we know how Akira will use his money... but how are they going to wrap this up in 5 episodes?
Dead Account
Please Delete
May 16, 2009 8:59 AM
Dec 2007
A much more characters-oriented episode that ressembled Honey and Clover, and a great one at that. Kamiyama is doing a wonderful job in mixing both the emotions/relationships of his characters and the overall development of the script. I agree on the fact that we don't have all the clues yet to understand the background of this episode that further developped the theme of NEETs and decay of the Japanese society, but still, it's Kamiyama and Production IG we're speaking about, you all know that we'll have all the keys to the story at the right time, no?

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 16, 2009 9:29 AM

Nov 2008
I really felt I had skipped an episode or so. The whole introduction to the club was quite sudden, as for the introduction of the three 'club members'. (Referring to them like that, since I don't remember their names.. H..? Mittan? Woman?)

I'm wondering how significant this program is, probably a lot, since the title is 'Eden of the East'.. I'm not really sure what it exactly does, was it the program that Akira used on his cell? And Saki/Mittan had something to do with the programming of it? I'm confuseeed.
desolatoMay 16, 2009 9:33 AM
May 16, 2009 9:44 AM

Nov 2007
Great episode with a good amount of development, especially with more exposition on the club members, and the Eden of the East. It seems that now we also know how Akira will be using his money to try to save Japan and fulfill his mission as a Selecao. It's all kinda sudden, but this does bring me closer to understanding what's going on. I'm kinda worried that with 5 episodes left, there might not be enough time to wrap things up, especially with the Selecao, their mission, and Mr. Outside. Now I am looking forward to seeing what happens next.

I do admit that program is quite nice though. I'd love to have that on my cellphone.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» WHAT THE HELL WAS IN THE TRUCKS?!

Sagepool - Feb 24

7 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Feb 25, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

grapeofdeath - Jun 18, 2009

432 by OneMoreFinal »»
Oct 21, 2023 4:06 PM

» IS THERE ANY "HARD" EDEN OF THE EAST FANS

hitsugaya111 - Mar 22, 2018

7 by rent-free »»
Jun 16, 2023 9:43 PM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Plate - Apr 9, 2009

404 by prozyne »»
Apr 9, 2023 1:35 AM

Poll: » Higashi no Eden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Apr 16, 2009

245 by Euroqean »»
Mar 29, 2023 6:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.