Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you thought you won't like all that much, but ended up being one of the best things you ever saw

New
Pages (55) « First ... « 39 40 [41] 42 43 » ... Last »
Jan 23, 2014 3:29 PM

Jan 2014
I only just started, but Kyoukai no Kanata. That may have been one of the best pilot episodes I have ever seen for a show.
Jan 23, 2014 3:46 PM
Jan 2014
Steins; Gate!!!
Watched the first 6-8 episodes then quit for 8 months... went back rewatched and regretted. Shoould just kept going after those 8 episodes xD!
Life is basically like a soap bubble.
It rides on the wind, flying here and there,
…And before you realize it, pop! It’s gone.
When it’s about to disappear, you think
that you could’ve flown a bit higher.
But by the time, it’s already too late.
Sakata Gintoki (Gintama)
Jan 23, 2014 7:33 PM

Jun 2012
Azumanga Daioh. I was browsing anime on another website and all that was there for this was a boring looking synopsis and a plain screenshot. That put me off for a while, but I tried it eventually, loved it and then bought it.
Jan 23, 2014 9:14 PM

May 2011
Spice and Wolf for me.

This was way back when I was limited to very few genre/demographics, so I was going in with a *sigh*. However, Spice and Wolf changed everything for me from that day on.

I've purchased pretty much everything, and I lost count how many times I've re-watched it now. Reading it too in fact.
Jan 23, 2014 11:18 PM

Nov 2013
Of recent memory, Welcome to the NHK certainly comes to mind. That series ran so many bells for me, it was like the writer lived part of my life.
Jan 24, 2014 7:04 AM

May 2012
MAJOR. Like yeah -_- I've never thought I'd like a sports anime this much :)))
Jan 24, 2014 10:17 AM

Sep 2013
NAGI NO ASUKARA
I thought it was a shitty drama, but now it becomes my top 5 :)
Jan 24, 2014 12:33 PM

Mar 2013
Definitely One Piece..
Art, animation, characters... EVERYTHING is better than i thought.
Up to now (280 ep) it is incredible.
"I believe in panties" ~ Shiina Mashiro
Jan 24, 2014 3:37 PM
Jan 2014
One piece.
Just hated that retro 97's style of characters. Then at around 200~Episodes I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!
Jan 24, 2014 4:01 PM

Sep 2012
Princess Tutu.

Madoka Magica.

k-ON!.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Jan 24, 2014 4:07 PM

Apr 2012
JJBA. wholeheartedly.
Jan 24, 2014 4:11 PM
Sep 2013
Mushishi.
The end is nigh

Jan 28, 2014 3:35 PM

Jun 2013
In my case it's Ouran Koukou Host Club. I thought it'd be totally dumb (girl playing a host) but the anime is awesome and totally hilarious. I love all the characters.
Jan 28, 2014 3:43 PM

Sep 2013
Code Geass.
Jan 28, 2014 6:30 PM

Dec 2013
Steins;Gate. It's tied for my favorite anime ever but I thought i wouldn't like it because it doesn't have action. I also really enjoyed Ao no Exorcist although I resisted watching it because I for some reason wasn't a fan of the character depictions at first.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jan 28, 2014 6:32 PM

Dec 2013
sheidesu said:
MAJOR. Like yeah -_- I've never thought I'd like a sports anime this much :)))

This. I hate baseball yet I adore this anime/manga.
Jan 28, 2014 6:55 PM

Jan 2014
One piece. now it's my favourite anime
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Jan 28, 2014 6:59 PM

Jan 2013
Black Lagoon and Steins;Gate... I had them both sitting around for ages but when I eventually watched them they blew my mind
Jan 28, 2014 7:37 PM
Jul 2013
Lovely Complex. The art style completely turned me off but after watching 1 episode i was hooked on it and finished it in a week.
Jan 28, 2014 8:12 PM

Aug 2008
Neon Genesis Evangelion. I first found out about it before properly getting into anime. I tried watching it in my early teens and thought it was 'meh' at the time and didnt get past episode 2-3 as far as I recall. I tried again as an adult and grew to love it after a few episodes.
Jan 28, 2014 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
For this season at least, Its gotta be Sakura Trick.
Jan 28, 2014 9:53 PM

Mar 2011
Only title I can think of is The Last Airbender. I know it's not technically anime, however I refused to watch this title until much, much later in my life when it appeared on Netflix. My buddy literally forced me to watch it.

I can't even count how many times I blindly bashed it ignorantly. I was silly.
Jan 29, 2014 4:33 AM

Jan 2013
One Piece. I thought it would be the most kiddy anime ever judging by the art, but damn it's a LOT more mature than it seems. It's epic, gets you all emotional with the manly tears and just epic.
Jan 29, 2014 8:30 AM
Jan 2014
Level E

I thought it was going to be a bog standard sci-fi with nothing special but i was surprised to find it was one of the funniest animes i have ever seen.
Jan 29, 2014 8:58 AM

Mar 2010
Gintama season 2. I actually disliked a whole lot of season 1, but season 2 never allowed me to stop laughing... Good thing that they decided to add quality instead of quantity like season 1.
Jan 29, 2014 9:13 AM

Jun 2013
Fairy Tail - guess I got too much influenced by some opinions, I didn't want to take it up, but I needed another long series and now I think it's great.
Jan 29, 2014 9:15 AM

Jul 2013
Bakemonogatari

Steins;Gate

Code Geass

Death Note

K-On!
Jan 29, 2014 9:30 AM

Mar 2013
Gintama. Hated the first few episodes but didn't drop it because I was watching it with my roomies and then I ended up loving it.
Jan 29, 2014 10:09 AM

Oct 2009
I went into FMA Brotherhood without expectations. I thought it would be alright but it ended up being one of the greatest shows of all time :P

Jan 29, 2014 3:23 PM

Mar 2013
Gintama. I saw that it was a historical anime with comedy. It seemed they were going to make really awful puns and jokes on history, but it had a high rating so I decided to go ahead and watch it. Hilarious.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Jan 29, 2014 3:38 PM

Dec 2012
Magi. I never had any prior knowledge of it and just expected it to be Harry Potter.
Jan 30, 2014 12:38 AM

Dec 2012
Gotta say the Gundam franchise in general. I try to stay away from giant robots and sci-fi/outer space settings, but each one I watch just captivates me and takes me by storm. I recently watched the first season of Gundam 00 and I remember dropping that like 5 years ago because I thought it was boring. Man so glad I pulled through on it now.
Jan 31, 2014 5:13 PM
Jan 2014
soul eater

at the time that i watched the anime, i wasn't really into "fighting" anime, and the cover pic on netflix looked really ... extreme
but my friends all told me id enjoy , so i grudgingly clicked watch and its actually one of my favorite anime now ^-^
Jan 31, 2014 5:32 PM

Oct 2013
Steins;Gate. Now it's my #1 favourite.
Baccano! I got confused at first episodes, but I gave it 10 after I finished it.
Jan 31, 2014 5:57 PM

Dec 2013
Steins Gate--just finished

Thought the quasi sci fy and farfetched science would turn me off. Major shocker. Total enthralling ride.
Jan 31, 2014 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
silmaril said:
Baccano! I got confused at first episodes, but I gave it 10 after I finished it.

I've been interested in watching Baccano! for some time now. How would you say it was overall?

Confound it, I'm not sure if I've posted in this thread yet, but Bakemonogatari ended up being one of my favorite animes ever. But when I first heard about it when it was coming out, I never ended up watching it. I'm really glad I decided to give it a watch last year though. Ir also reconnected me with Satoru Kosaki as well. Ever since Haruhi's second season ended, I never got to experience any other music made by him.
Jan 31, 2014 8:06 PM

Oct 2013
psycho pass sama <3
Jan 31, 2014 8:50 PM

Dec 2012
The most recent I can think of is actually an anime movie called Wolf Children.

I thought it would be extremely cheesy and boring despite what other people kept saying, but my friends kept cooing over it and, one night, I wanted to see why they liked it so much..

It just evoked all kinds of indescribable feelings of longing and sadness. It was pretty intense for me.
Jan 31, 2014 11:40 PM

Jun 2012
I'm a little sceptical about 'older' anime's, so prior to watching Berserk, Trigun and Cowboy Bebop I was uncertain if I'd like them or not.
But after watching them, I realized just how damn good they really were.
Jan 31, 2014 11:51 PM

Apr 2012
Honey and Clover. Didn't really like the art style. It had a sequel too so it was going to be a big investment in time, which made me even more hesitant to pick it up. Took me about a month to finally start watching it. I ended up marathoning H&C I and II, and it became one of my all time favorites.

Feb 1, 2014 1:24 AM

Apr 2012
Gintama
i thought it was a random anime and have a random jokes too but i keep watching
and in the end i really like it, when i rewatch some arc i still laughing so hard :))
Feb 1, 2014 2:20 AM

Oct 2013
Aylaine said:
silmaril said:

I've been interested in watching Baccano! for some time now. How would you say it was overall?

Confound it, I'm not sure if I've posted in this thread yet, but Bakemonogatari ended up being one of my favorite animes ever. But when I first heard about it when it was coming out, I never ended up watching it. I'm really glad I decided to give it a watch last year though. Ir also reconnected me with Satoru Kosaki as well. Ever since Haruhi's second season ended, I never got to experience any other music made by him.

It was... briliant. Just don't drop it because of the nonlinear narrative. I put it on hold for some time because of that.
Feb 1, 2014 3:15 AM

Apr 2013
Bebop

Music, Plot, Character development, Animation, Voice Actors

All of them create an atmosphere of blues filled with sadness and loneliness
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Feb 1, 2014 3:05 PM
Dec 2013
Angel Beats!

I just finished watching this series and to be honest,I didnt like it at the beginning.But it became more and more awesome with every episode,there were times when I laughed like a maniac (the exam episode has to be the funniest shit Ive seen in years) ...the characters are interesting and the ending made me really sad (boy,that was tough).The story isnt super creative,but still good.

At the beginning it was a 4/10 anime for me,but after watching the entire series its a 8/10...Angel Beats is a good mix of humour,drama and action,go watch it :)
Feb 1, 2014 3:13 PM

Jan 2014
Shakugan no Shana. I thought it would be meh but it turned out as a top 5 series for me. Also Dragon Ball Z. I hated it as a kid because I thought the characters looked stupid(never saw an episode though). I had negative feelings towards it until I actually watched the whole series and I loved it. I think I would have loved it more as a kid if I had given it a chance.
Feb 1, 2014 3:38 PM

Oct 2013
One Piece and Hunter X Hunter, Ironically, they're my two favorite anime of all time as of now. When i was a newfag i completely ignored and discarded the thought of watching any anime that i presumed had shitty animation and art because of pictures i had seen of the animes. If you havn't watched neither, DO SO.
Feb 2, 2014 3:24 AM

Aug 2013
Necroburburum said:
Clannad After Story and Serial Experiments Lain.

Yeah. I totally agree with you on Clannad After Story. The first 2 arcs it began with were too dramatic, but the latter events completely made up for the first half.

Initially, I didn't want to watch Chihayafuru because of the very slow beginning. Currently, however, it's my favorite show.
Feb 3, 2014 6:00 AM

Jul 2010
Quite a lot. Like Popolocrois Monogatari, Sukitte Ii na yo, Vision of Escaflowne, etc.
Feb 3, 2014 6:47 AM

Oct 2009
I didn't expect Skip Beat! to appeal to me so much. Usually shoujo animes hardly interest me until I saw Skip Beat.! Kyoko is just not the typical shoujo heroine and she's actually one of the two female anime characters I find very interesting. So strong-willed and I admit she inspires me abit in real life.

Also, Durarara! Although I wasn't that into it that much in the beginning, but
this show just went into my fav list cos that scene was one of the most epic scenes I've ever seen in animes imo. And I like how this show has characters that aren't black and white.

I also didn't expect much from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I got bored when I tried watching it for the first time a few years ago. Then I gave it a chance last year and watched it in english dub this time and it turned out to be one of the most interesting and funniest animes I've ever watched. And I really like Yuki Nagato - the other female anime character I find very interesting.
Feb 3, 2014 7:46 AM

Dec 2010
ITT: Clannad After Story

One I was just talking about was Jinrui ha Suitai Shimashita. The description didn't impress me and I almost didn't watch. Turned out to be the best thing ever.

Going by Anime descriptions can be kind of iffy sometimes, it's really hard to know what to expect. I didn't pick up Noragami this season at first because of the description, but was encouraged to by a friend, turns out I like it. So, eh, go figure.
Pages (55) « First ... « 39 40 [41] 42 43 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 6+ Rating or Higher Anime that you don't remember

JaaShooUhh - 10 hours ago

4 by Mayahuel »»
40 minutes ago

» Anime fans ,how do u feel about slice of life anime???

Animystics - Yesterday

33 by ZXEAN »»
43 minutes ago

» Which is the correct anime consumption posture?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

13 by Kwanthemaster »»
2 hours ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes?

Zarutaku - Jun 11

10 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» Anime and Manga might be the worst medium ever at judging attractiveness.

isseixkoneko - Jun 13

18 by APolygons2 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.