Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
May 18, 2013 4:05 PM

Sep 2011
burgundian said:
I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm kind of disappointed.
It's not that the happy-ish direction of character development from 2.22 is turned upside down, I expected as much. Although, I expected something more subtle, not this giant middle finger towards the people who enjoyed 2.22, but whatever.
I guess, every problem boils down to the fact that this movie is too short, absurdly too short for it's scope. The previous movies had the original series to support them and could leave some things unsaid, there was also this dynamic of what what changed and omitted. This movie has to stand on it's own, yet it's the shortest one. Resulting from that is the complete lack of explanations and reducing nearly all characters to supporting roles with one or two scenes outside battles (so basically everyone is reduced to Mari). Not only there's no character development during the movie, there were 14 years of off-screen development and we don't know anything about it, because there's no real interaction between the suddenly supporting characters.
The thing that bothers me deeply - mystery for mystery's sake. I don't mind that 3.0 doesn't offer any explanations on the key plot points, but I hate that it created many irrelevant questions, doesn't even attempt to explain them and burdens the last movie with that task (or leaving them unanswered, don't know which is worse). I'm talking about things like:
- why 14 years?
- who placed Unit 01 on orbit, why, when and why in this coffin?
- how NERV - apparently staffed only by Gendou and Fuyutsuki, having problems with power supply, not having resources to even rebuild it's headquarters, with no support from SEELE, having just one prototype Eva, piloted by a clone with no initiative and with know whereabouts - is any match to Wille - organization capable of building Wunder, performing a space mission in a post-apocalyptic world that we couldn't organize today, possessing two Evas with top pilots and a mobile armada of warships?
- and how is it able to manufacture another Eva?
- why Wille was created at all - after the end of 2.22 there was no reason to suspect that the events were planned by Gendou (did Kaji spilled the beans?)?
And so on, dozens of questions that now have to be answered, preferably not in some twisted retcons to fit the plot of 4.0.

That means that 4.0 will have to explain everything 3.0 didn't explain, explain all not that important questions 3.0 created, show us how the characters and their relations developed in those 14 years and show some new development during the movie, after all this isn't a story just about Shinji. So basically, what they should have done in 2 movies, now has to be done in just the last one with added garbage from 3.0. I can't really see this done in a satisfactory way unless 4.0 will last at least 2,5 - 3 hours.

I also don't get Misato in this movie. At all. I lost a lot of respect for her. Among the people who blame Shinji, she's literally the last one having any right to do so. Actually, having no right at all. At the end of 2.22 she was like a mother to Shinji (Shin-chan!), he saved her life from Zeruel (doing what she expected him to do all along - piloting Eva on his own will) and she was basically cheering him to save Rei (let's not forget, that she did that being his commanding officer). Since Wille knows about Gendou agenda and even things like Rei's nature, being their leader she has to know that Shinji had no idea what was going to happen. In fact, she's more to blame for this since she was third in command and couldn't see what the purpose of NERV was. She also had 14 years to think about it, that's not some fresh, emotional thing. Yet, she's now all "Ikari Shinji-kun", couldn't be bothered to offer any explanation at all to Shinji and all the affection she showed towards him was not blowing his head of. That's beyond unbelievable character development.

You summed this up very well. Wille, aside from having a stupid name, is strange since it controls an ARMADA of spaceships, and yet is undermanned? What? And NERV, which is funded by the world I persume, only has Fuyutsuki to do all the side jobs, what the hell?? Where are the staff?? Why don't they technology to repair their ceiling?

Very good reminder on Misato, I forgot what happened in 2.22 completely.

But yeah, everyone being a dick to Shinji makes no sense.
Gendou expecting Shinji to pilot the va makes no sense.
Shinji no listening to Kaworu makes no sense.
Mari and Asuka expecting him to help Asuka when she LITERALLY TRIED TO KILL HIM a few seconds ago makes no sense.
Rei not killing Misato in the grabbing Shinji scene makes no sense.
the 14 year old skip makes no sense.
Shinji being in ORBIT(or we are led to believe) for FOURTEEN, FOURTEEN FUCKING YEARS makes no sense.
etc.

this movie was a fucking fail.

Oh, also, I DO NOT GET why did Kaworu wear that bomb necklace. I mean, that's Misato's FUCKING KILLING DEVICE. He could've just threw it to the side, but noooo! You had to put it on!

Seriously...
GodlyKyonMay 18, 2013 4:10 PM
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
May 18, 2013 4:34 PM

Aug 2008

1. What's up with the beginning of the series? Why the hell was Shinji sleeping in the flying space coffin?
2. Was there a scene with the REAL Rei and the fake Rei? I don't understand, but I thought I saw Rei in a tube.
3. why did Asuka have an eyepatch? Why was this not explained?
4. So wait, Kaworu is the first angel? AKA Adam? Why is he the thirteenth now??

None of these questions are answered because they aren't suppose to be. Misato doesn't let Shinji learn anything on her side because she doesn't want him to break down (as it's obvious she still cares about him). Shinji doesn't learn anything on Nerves side because he doesn't really care to learn. All he cares about is redeeming himself and convincing himself that he saved the actual Rei.

Why was Touji's sister even introduced? Was Touji suppose to be of any significance at all?

She's pretty much living proof that 14 years have passed to Shinji (as Touji had referred to her as his kid sister). Touji significance was in movie 1, other than that he's just a good friend of Shinji's (Seeing Touji's shirt brings him to a state of shock, and further increases his anxiety afterall).

Why did Asuka have that Eyepatch?

Not explained because Misato probably told her not to, and she herself probably doesn't want to blame Shinji for it if it is indeed his fault from 14 years ago. Just wait for movie 4 on this one.

What happened to Rei?
Who knows. You'll learn in the next movie.

What is Mari's role in all of this? Why was she even introduced?

Mostly fanservice. But it's hinted that she must be as old as Gendou (as she refers to him by his first name and with a kun, unlike the puppy names she gives everyone else). Perhaps she knew Shinji's mother as well.

Why is Asuka acting so friendly, even though human's DEMISE is about to come??

Because she likes Shinji? (at least as a friend). Thought this was obvious from movie 2. If you're asking why she was acting so unfriendly before, she was probably just putting on a front so he would be distanced from her and thus remain uninvolved from the situation. You can tell she's not actually that mad at him because she only acts angry when she's not in actual physical distance from him (she's behind glass and behind an eva beforehand).

More to say, I don't understand Mari's purpose, there are so many contradictions in the movie... Like how they had to use civilians to manpower but they have a HUGE battalion of ships, and why did NO ONE, NO ONE but Kaworu explain to Shinji what the fuck was going on. That could've have avoided a lot of things.

Even Kaworu didn't explain everything to him (nor did Shinji really care to learn fully, which leads to disastor). And I already explained why the others didn't.

I also don't get Misato in this movie. At all. I lost a lot of respect for her. Among the people who blame Shinji, she's literally the last one having any right to do so. Actually, having no right at all. At the end of 2.22 she was like a mother to Shinji (Shin-chan!), he saved her life from Zeruel (doing what she expected him to do all along - piloting Eva on his own will) and she was basically cheering him to save Rei (let's not forget, that she did that being his commanding officer). Since Wille knows about Gendou agenda and even things like Rei's nature, being their leader she has to know that Shinji had no idea what was going to happen. In fact, she's more to blame for this since she was third in command and couldn't see what the purpose of NERV was. She also had 14 years to think about it, that's not some fresh, emotional thing. Yet, she's now all "Ikari Shinji-kun", couldn't be bothered to offer any explanation at all to Shinji and all the affection she showed towards him was not blowing his head of. That's beyond unbelievable character development.

Like I explained to the other guy, the cold front is simply that...a cold front. It's obvious because everyone else in the world acts blatantly angry at him while she puts up a stoic front (and if you know her personality that's not even in her character). Obviously she and Asuka care for him if they are willing to save him from space even though they aren't even planning to use him for anything. Also she could have literally just killed him and saved themselves the trouble of anything further he could have done (because he is a threat) but she didn't. I'm not sure why anyone thinks she's actually acting like that because it's her honest feelings. There's no way Shinji wouldn't believe that he didn't save Rei or everyone at the end of the last movie and he would have never believed her even if she told him the truth.

And honestly why aren't all you're questions answered? Because that's not the point of these movies and never has been. Shinji's a 14 year old boy whose thrust into an obviously overly complicated situation that he could never fully understand and really...probably never cared to (this was the same in the original series). This is mostly about how his character develops in response to the situations that get put upon him. So yeah solving all the mysteries of the plot isn't gonna happen come movie 4.

For example, during the Asuka and Shinji fight. What was shinji doing during that whole thing? Not thinking that's for sure (because he was so driven by guilt to grab the spears). However what was Kaworu doing? Pretty much thinking the entire time because something was wrong. Had Shinji done the same disaster might not have taken place, but yeah...nothing was going his way and it's in his nature not to ask that many questions and just seek the result.
May 18, 2013 9:24 PM

Sep 2011
hyperknees91 said:

1. What's up with the beginning of the series? Why the hell was Shinji sleeping in the flying space coffin?
2. Was there a scene with the REAL Rei and the fake Rei? I don't understand, but I thought I saw Rei in a tube.
3. why did Asuka have an eyepatch? Why was this not explained?
4. So wait, Kaworu is the first angel? AKA Adam? Why is he the thirteenth now??

None of these questions are answered because they aren't suppose to be. Misato doesn't let Shinji learn anything on her side because she doesn't want him to break down (as it's obvious she still cares about him). Shinji doesn't learn anything on Nerves side because he doesn't really care to learn. All he cares about is redeeming himself and convincing himself that he saved the actual Rei.

Why was Touji's sister even introduced? Was Touji suppose to be of any significance at all?

She's pretty much living proof that 14 years have passed to Shinji (as Touji had referred to her as his kid sister). Touji significance was in movie 1, other than that he's just a good friend of Shinji's (Seeing Touji's shirt brings him to a state of shock, and further increases his anxiety afterall).

Why did Asuka have that Eyepatch?

Not explained because Misato probably told her not to, and she herself probably doesn't want to blame Shinji for it if it is indeed his fault from 14 years ago. Just wait for movie 4 on this one.

What happened to Rei?
Who knows. You'll learn in the next movie.

What is Mari's role in all of this? Why was she even introduced?

Mostly fanservice. But it's hinted that she must be as old as Gendou (as she refers to him by his first name and with a kun, unlike the puppy names she gives everyone else). Perhaps she knew Shinji's mother as well.

Why is Asuka acting so friendly, even though human's DEMISE is about to come??

Because she likes Shinji? (at least as a friend). Thought this was obvious from movie 2. If you're asking why she was acting so unfriendly before, she was probably just putting on a front so he would be distanced from her and thus remain uninvolved from the situation. You can tell she's not actually that mad at him because she only acts angry when she's not in actual physical distance from him (she's behind glass and behind an eva beforehand).

More to say, I don't understand Mari's purpose, there are so many contradictions in the movie... Like how they had to use civilians to manpower but they have a HUGE battalion of ships, and why did NO ONE, NO ONE but Kaworu explain to Shinji what the fuck was going on. That could've have avoided a lot of things.

Even Kaworu didn't explain everything to him (nor did Shinji really care to learn fully, which leads to disastor). And I already explained why the others didn't.

Like I explained to the other guy, the cold front is simply that...a cold front. It's obvious because everyone else in the world acts blatantly angry at him while she puts up a stoic front (and if you know her personality that's not even in her character). Obviously she and Asuka care for him if they are willing to save him from space even though they aren't even planning to use him for anything. Also she could have literally just killed him and saved themselves the trouble of anything further he could have done (because he is a threat) but she didn't. I'm not sure why anyone thinks she's actually acting like that because it's her honest feelings. There's no way Shinji wouldn't believe that he didn't save Rei or everyone at the end of the last movie and he would have never believed her even if she told him the truth.

And honestly why aren't all you're questions answered? Because that's not the point of these movies and never has been. Shinji's a 14 year old boy whose thrust into an obviously overly complicated situation that he could never fully understand and really...probably never cared to (this was the same in the original series). This is mostly about how his character develops in response to the situations that get put upon him. So yeah solving all the mysteries of the plot isn't gonna happen come movie 4.

For example, during the Asuka and Shinji fight. What was shinji doing during that whole thing? Not thinking that's for sure (because he was so driven by guilt to grab the spears). However what was Kaworu doing? Pretty much thinking the entire time because something was wrong. Had Shinji done the same disaster might not have taken place, but yeah...nothing was going his way and it's in his nature not to ask that many questions and just seek the result.
So all it boils down to this: Lets hope movie 4 answers some of the unnecessary, unforeshadowed questions formed by this movie. The dialogue is hilarious, Asuka is just a psycho bitch if she likes him, but wants to kill him and yet expects Shinji to like her, or even HELP HER
May 20, 2013 11:21 AM

Aug 2008

After reading that I have no more questions as to why 3rd sucked so much.
I'm depressed.
May 21, 2013 1:41 AM

May 2010
The plot is little bit complex that I only understand half of what's going on. At least I know that Genod is planning to initiate the Human Instrumentality Project and it's up to Misato and Wille to stop him. Now all hey got to is wake Shinji up to reality cause he is really depressed that his boyfriend..I mean friend is dead

May 21, 2013 6:06 PM
Jul 2018
This film is a definition of disappointment, if someone ask me how do I feel when I am disappointed, I will slap this movie onto their face and say go watch it (suppose that they know the plot of Eva).

At first I planed to write my thoughts about this movie but ... there are so many horrible things that my mind chooses to ignore and remove most of them all out of my memory. But I can say that this movie is about FAN SERVICE, FAN SERVICE, FAN SERVICE, just like in the preview at the end of Eva 2.0 ( we will give you a lots of fan service, if you guys check it again). Ano chose to overshadows the plots with the animation, bringing tons of eye candy moments, expensive CGI to blind the viewers, hoping them will somehow get caught up in masturbating their minds and forgot how terrible the story is. Even the existence of Mari is, well, fan service, she just do some support work, sing some random shit, make cute poses so that we fan boy could have another girl to masturbate to besides Asuka (now turning into a bitch) and Rei (back to being a doll resembling Shinji's mother whom is used by Gendo to satisfy his lust in place of his wife). In my opinion, these two aspects are the main reason why people love this movie.

Now get to the plot, it is horrible, double horrible, triple horrible, ultra horrible, horri-rampage-ble. While it does explain some things, it gives a thousands times the question to the viewers. I somehow thinks that Ano expect us to be psychics who can read his fucking minds and understand how messed up the anime is. Nothing more to say about this since people either ignore this aspect or don't understand anything, I just don't know why people say this is mind fucked since it is obviously just bad writing.

I generously gave this anime a 6/10 since I really enjoyed the animation and especially the sound tracks, other than that, this is a huge shame on the evangelion series
May 21, 2013 10:18 PM

Mar 2013
Maelis said:
This film is a definition of disappointment, if someone ask me how do I feel when I am disappointed, I will slap this movie onto their face and say go watch it (suppose that they know the plot of Eva).

At first I planed to write my thoughts about this movie but ... there are so many horrible things that my mind chooses to ignore and remove most of them all out of my memory. But I can say that this movie is about FAN SERVICE, FAN SERVICE, FAN SERVICE, just like in the preview at the end of Eva 2.0 ( we will give you a lots of fan service, if you guys check it again). Ano chose to overshadows the plots with the animation, bringing tons of eye candy moments, expensive CGI to blind the viewers, hoping them will somehow get caught up in masturbating their minds and forgot how terrible the story is. Even the existence of Mari is, well, fan service, she just do some support work, sing some random shit, make cute poses so that we fan boy could have another girl to masturbate to besides Asuka (now turning into a bitch) and Rei (back to being a doll resembling Shinji's mother whom is used by Gendo to satisfy his lust in place of his wife). In my opinion, these two aspects are the main reason why people love this movie.

Now get to the plot, it is horrible, double horrible, triple horrible, ultra horrible, horri-rampage-ble. While it does explain some things, it gives a thousands times the question to the viewers. I somehow thinks that Ano expect us to be psychics who can read his fucking minds and understand how messed up the anime is. Nothing more to say about this since people either ignore this aspect or don't understand anything, I just don't know why people say this is mind fucked since it is obviously just bad writing.

I generously gave this anime a 6/10 since I really enjoyed the animation and especially the sound tracks, other than that, this is a huge shame on the evangelion series

Interestingly, I actually looked at it the other way. I felt 3.0 was going against what fans wanted in general. In my opinion, 2.0 was more fanservice than 3.0, in the sense that they took the story of the original series and twisted it to make it look like a typical shounen (i.e. Shinji being more positive/like a hero of a story, rather than falling into a cycle of habitual introvertedness as he does in the origina, which a lot of people hatedl.).

I don't know. There's more than meets the eye with 3.0, in my opinion. I really enjoyed it, and not just because of the pretty animation and CGI.
May 22, 2013 1:31 PM
May 2013
comment #462, pretty much answered everything from movie 3.0. I, too, came to the same conclusion after re-watching the movie several times to see if I had missed any small details pertaining to "why such and such is that way."

#462 pretty much explained that Misato doesn't actually hate Shinji as much as what most would expect after their 1st view. As she couldn't bring herself to trigger the collar bomb on Shinji despite Ritsuko's warning. One scene during the finale also had her mention his name, Shinji-kun, if my memory is correct. How I took it was that she was worried about him.

As for not listening to Kaoru's warning and pulling the spears? Was answered in comment #462, but also, put into perspective that Shinji's mental and psychological state is not stable. He does NOT want to pilot EVA. He is also told that he was the one who initiated 3rd impact which killed almost everyone and nearly destroyed the world.

These words are probably being replayed over and over in his mind. "I killed everyone, I killed everyone, I killed everyone. That's why Misato hates me, that's why Misato hates me." He also mentioned Misato when pulling out the spears, which shows how much he wishes for her to forgive him as she is the 1st legal guardian that showed him parental love. So betting on that small hope Kaoru offered him he decides to pilot EVA again, though he still showed signs of not wanting to pilot EVA, I can't remember the exact translation but it went something like this, "Let's grab the spears, since that's the only reason why I'm piloting EVA." With his mental and psychological state unstable and the promised hope in front of him along with wanting to get out of EVA as soon as possible, its understandable why he had unconsciously blocked out all other people's warnings and pulled out the spears.

My 1st viewing, I was already biased due to those unfavorable reviews who talk big and couldn't really enjoy it. I clearly believed that in the first half it was the team showing off what amazing CG animation they can now pull off which isn't really far from the truth, but in the end I found that those reviewers couldn't walk the walk. They were looking for/wanted some other mech action movie staring and glorifying a 14yr old who can put a stop to political disputes between countries by terrorizing them with a G and a M.

After coming to this conclusion using all the small and subtle hints I noticed, I found myself enjoying 3.0 a lot more than my 1st viewing. Of course it had less amazing mech action than 2.0 and the piano sex between Kaoru and Shinji basically took like all the middle half, but in all it was very enjoyable. I'd say that 3.0 is another "10 out of 10 Evangelion-style masterpiece."
May 23, 2013 3:48 AM

Jul 2010
This is what some of the people that are defending this movie sum up to.
"Those questions that weren't answered? Deal with it."
"It's meant to be confusing."
and, "The fourth movie will answer the questions."

Here's my response to it. If it's meant to be confusing, the direction this movie takes is stupid. Literally, the core concept of the movie and it's storytelling direction, is stupid. Confusing, is a word with negative connotations. Even IF the fourth movie answers these questions, this will still be a bad, confusing, movie.
May 23, 2013 4:53 AM

Aug 2008
coolasj19 said:

Here's my response to it. If it's meant to be confusing, the direction this movie takes is stupid. Literally, the core concept of the movie and it's storytelling direction, is stupid. Confusing, is a word with negative connotations. Even IF the fourth movie answers these questions, this will still be a bad, confusing, movie.

If the movie was confusing for no reason I would agree, but there was a direction this movie was headed in. It's confusing because of how Shinji is as a character (I explained this in my earlier post), this is the same reason the questions weren't answered. And I really doubt all the questions will be answered in the 4th movie, because like I said earlier it's not really the focus of evangelion at all to answer all the questions. Rather to be a study of the characters (In this movie series however, it's primarily all about Shinji).

It's a very different approach to a movie, and likely like yourself a lot of people wont like it.
May 24, 2013 2:49 AM

Mar 2013
coolasj19 said:

If you don't like the narrative style then you don't like it. It's as simple as that. There really was no need to respond to those that are keeping an open mind with such a lazy comment.
May 24, 2013 11:39 AM

Jul 2009
Mecha animes are all a bit alike, there's always a stupid boy like Shinji and some awesome girl like Asuka!
May 24, 2013 2:37 PM
May 2013
After finally catching up on the original series and movies, I'd say "You Can (Not) Advance" is my favorite piece in the franchise, while this is by far my least favorite.

Ninety minutes isn't a lot of time, so it wouldn't have hurt to spend less time focusing on the clunky CGI ship/the usual technical jargon and more on the actual passengers. I get that the audience is meant to be just as confused as Shinji and that all our questions will (not) be answered in the final film, but was just too slow and too rushed in all the wrong parts.

I give this major points for the "Rei" and Kaworu bits, along with Asuka and Mari's pleasantly dysfunctional teamwork, but that's about it.
May 24, 2013 2:46 PM

Oct 2012
BNZniIkou said:
along with Asuka and Mari's pleasantly dysfunctional teamwork, but that's about it.

I lol'd

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 24, 2013 5:59 PM

Jul 2011
I think I can't make my disappointment into words properly.

The whole movie was bullshit, and until we get to know, that we were trolled, and the whole after-impact word exist only in shinji's head, I won't accept it ^^''

Just what the hell, it's not even consistent any-more. At the end of 2.22 Kaworu stopped the third Impact, only for us to get "herp derp, he actuallt didn't and the prewiew was fake, lol" in third movie.

The plot is chaotic and almost impossible to get what's happening in one watch

After much thinking I'm only finding, that there is not much deepness, just bunch of random creepy scenes, and some good CGI fights, to look good for the eye. The plot make no sense.

And that "herp derp, Kaworu tell's me not to. I take the lances out, lol" my brain almost melted. Sure, I am so friendly with Kaworu, and I do iit only because he said me so. I will troll him now!

And that "oh, it's one of the only 3 people alive in nerv, and noone explained anything. I will bow and go away" just omg.
SwiftflashMay 24, 2013 6:04 PM
May 24, 2013 6:18 PM

Nov 2008
+1 because it pretty graphics, +1 because gay. But overall bullshit, I am dissapoint. :|
May 24, 2013 6:22 PM

Sep 2011
Swiftflash said:
I think I can't make my disappointment into words properly.

The whole movie was bullshit, and until we get to know, that we were trolled, and the whole after-impact word exist only in shinji's head, I won't accept it ^^''

Just what the hell, it's not even consistent any-more. At the end of 2.22 Kaworu stopped the third Impact, only for us to get "herp derp, he actuallt didn't and the prewiew was fake, lol" in third movie.

The plot is chaotic and almost impossible to get what's happening in one watch

After much thinking I'm only finding, that there is not much deepness, just bunch of random creepy scenes, and some good CGI fights, to look good for the eye. The plot make no sense.

And that "herp derp, Kaworu tell's me not to. I take the lances out, lol" my brain almost melted. Sure, I am so friendly with Kaworu, and I do iit only because he said me so. I will troll him now!

And that "oh, it's one of the only 3 people alive in nerv, and noone explained anything. I will bow and go away" just omg.

Yeah, the things the characters do in this movie look utterly incomprehensible, doesn't it?
May 24, 2013 6:30 PM

Oct 2012
LaAmaya said:
+1 because it pretty graphics, +1 because gay. But overall bullshit, I am dissapoint. :|

What was the extra point for?

May 24, 2013 6:45 PM
Oct 2010
While the hate is understandable, you guys should probably wait until the final movie is out and about before you make a judgement of this one. We are technically in the middle of the story, so you really can't expect much to be answered. Infact if you think about it 2.0 doesn't really answer anything at all.
May 24, 2013 7:17 PM
Mar 2013
Gaaaahhh! Confused! I will have to watch all the movies in succession, again! Nevertheless, pretty good stuff, makes you ponder and wonder about it, which, in my opinion is good!
May 24, 2013 9:01 PM

Sep 2011
Sasserdus said:
Gaaaahhh! Confused! I will have to watch all the movies in succession, again! Nevertheless, pretty good stuff, makes you ponder and wonder about it, which, in my opinion is good!

If it was basic plot strucuture that you are questioning, that is not good at all
May 25, 2013 7:45 AM

Jun 2012
Is there actual people that enjoyed this movie?
May 25, 2013 1:06 PM

Oct 2012
OhNasti said:

*points to the poll*

May 25, 2013 2:37 PM

Aug 2010
I'm not entierly sure what to think of the movie. I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything that happened.

I have issues with what I saw. It's not the lack of information on WTF is going on, since if we will find out more in the next movie is something we have yet too see. My biggest problem was the sheer stupidity that the characters possessed during the fight for the spears.

I mean come one, Shinji was told by his co-pilot numerous of times that something was wrong, but he completely ignored it and continued his destiny as the world's biggest screw up. Then there is Asuka, who could at least try to warn the guy instead of yelling "Brat Shinji" and go on the offensive right off the bat. Heck, even Kawrou isn't speared thanks to the fact that he could be a little more specific with his warning.

Other than that, I think I'm cool with it. Maybe.
May 25, 2013 3:13 PM
Feb 2012
Maybe they're making more than 4 movies, they can't possibly explain even 50% of the questions created 3.33 in the next final movie, EVA is obviously all about speculations and questions, but, was the time skip really that necessary? What was the point of it?
May 25, 2013 3:52 PM

Aug 2008
SagaraYuzuru said:
I'm not entierly sure what to think of the movie. I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything that happened.

I have issues with what I saw. It's not the lack of information on WTF is going on, since if we will find out more in the next movie is something we have yet too see. My biggest problem was the sheer stupidity that the characters possessed during the fight for the spears.

I mean come one, Shinji was told by his co-pilot numerous of times that something was wrong, but he completely ignored it and continued his destiny as the world's biggest screw up. Then there is Asuka, who could at least try to warn the guy instead of yelling "Brat Shinji" and go on the offensive right off the bat. Heck, even Kawrou isn't speared thanks to the fact that he could be a little more specific with his warning.

Other than that, I think I'm cool with it. Maybe.

Shinji grabs the spear without listening because he is already losing his sense of reason by that point. The guilt of the 3rd impact and his desire for forgiveness basically causes him to lose it. That's why when granted with a solution to fix everything he jumps at it. He doesn't want to listen because he doesn't want to believe that he can't fix everything (and it isn't until the end of the movie that he actually learns this). Hence his obsessive behavior.

Also there's no way he would listen to Asuka if he wasn't listening to Kaworu. No matter what anyone told him he wasn't going to listen at this point.
May 26, 2013 3:04 AM

Jun 2012
Tavor said:
OhNasti said:

*points to the poll*

May 26, 2013 5:26 AM

Nov 2008
Tavor said:
LaAmaya said:

What was the extra point for?

Because you can't give 0, so it started off with 1.
May 27, 2013 5:19 AM

Jun 2012
June93 said:
actual character development

May 27, 2013 6:54 AM

Sep 2011
Damn, this movie really killed the build up 2.0 had.

Rei was turned into default mode
Asuka did not change at all
Shinji turned into default mode

I am sure a lot more, basically, it made 2.0 irrelevant.
May 27, 2013 7:16 AM

Aug 2008
I don't get how people can dislike 3 but like 2 the most, 2 had the worst writing in the series. At least in 3 there was coherency, and actual character development outside of shinji and rei (who was more or less a plot device for shinji).

Well people like 2.0 because it's a shounen movie, generally shounen's are pretty broadly appealing.

The main problem with 2.0 is that it introduced 2 characters that really probably could have been left out (Asuka and Mari). They really don't serve much significance at this point (Though 4.0 might clear things up).

The movies in general are primarily about Shinji though. The point of 2.0 (to me at least) is to show how naive Shinji is really. He thinks he can trust his father because he shared some time with him (he can't) and he think he can fix everything at the end of the movie by blindly rushing in without thinking (he can't). This is further emphasized in this movie because you learn that Shinji will be intentionally ignorant and naive if it makes him feel better.

The other thing it shows is how Shinji will kinda lose it if him riding the EVA results in hurting other people (In this case Asuka, her only point in the movie). So imagine if his actions hurt a whole city of people...which leads to his mind almost breaking in this movie.

2.0 is a pretty good lead up into 3.0, but as a stand alone movie it can seem rather shallow.
hyperknees91May 27, 2013 7:25 AM
May 27, 2013 10:21 AM

Jan 2008
GodlyKyon said:

Everyone knows Shinji caused 3rd impact. They all hate him.
GodlyKyon said:

This is no different then every other time Gendou just tells someone to do something. That's just who he is. He never explained why he orders things, and he gave orders people were not likely yo follow.
GodlyKyon said:

He was desperate to fix things. He honestly thought that he would save everyone by doing that. It matches with 2.0 when he initiated 3rd impact.
GodlyKyon said:

Mari and Asuka expecting him to help Asuka when she LITERALLY TRIED TO KILL HIM a few seconds ago makes no sense.

This one you can have.
GodlyKyon said:

Unless Gendou ordered her to kill Misato, she wasn't going to do it. She only did what she was ordered. Nothing more, since she seemed to be incapable of making decisions. Unless Gendou said "And if you see Misato, kill her", it makes perfect sense.
GodlyKyon said:

Could have been any number of years.
GodlyKyon said:

Shinji being in ORBIT(or we are led to believe) for FOURTEEN, FOURTEEN FUCKING YEARS makes no sense.

Why not?
GodlyKyon said:

Oh, also, I DO NOT GET why did Kaworu wear that bomb necklace. I mean, that's Misato's FUCKING KILLING DEVICE. He could've just threw it to the side, but noooo! You had to put it on!

He did it to show that he would take Shinji's sins upon himself. It might also have been for insurance, since it wasn't Misato that blew it up, he did it himself.
May 27, 2013 10:41 AM

Sep 2011
DmonHiro said:
GodlyKyon said:

Everyone knows Shinji caused 3rd impact. They all hate him.
GodlyKyon said:

This is no different then every other time Gendou just tells someone to do something. That's just who he is. He never explained why he orders things, and he gave orders people were not likely yo follow.
GodlyKyon said:

He was desperate to fix things. He honestly thought that he would save everyone by doing that. It matches with 2.0 when he initiated 3rd impact.
GodlyKyon said:

This one you can have.
GodlyKyon said:

Unless Gendou ordered her to kill Misato, she wasn't going to do it. She only did what she was ordered. Nothing more, since she seemed to be incapable of making decisions. Unless Gendou said "And if you see Misato, kill her", it makes perfect sense.
GodlyKyon said:

Could have been any number of years.
GodlyKyon said:

Why not?
GodlyKyon said:

He did it to show that he would take Shinji's sins upon himself. It might also have been for insurance, since it wasn't Misato that blew it up, he did it himself.

I will try my best to be polite. First off:

" Everyone knows Shinji caused 3rd impact. They all hate him."

And yet none of them explained it to him. All they were like was "SHUT UP! WE HATE YOU! STOP ASKING QUESTIONS" when he was trying to get the slightest idea on what's going on.

That makes no sense!

" He was desperate to fix things. He honestly thought that he would save everyone by doing that. It matches with 2.0 when he initiated 3rd impact. "

Actually, this was not entirely on Shinji's part. It was both Misato, the other characters, and Kaworu. Why didn't they tell him not to do anything? Eva is Shinji's reason for living, his value that he thinks he has. And they always tell him to not pilot it, WHY NOT!??? None of them said, like Kaworu should "Shinji, if you pick those up, the fourth impact will start!"
That's why Shinji left WILLE to begin with! They wouldn't explain anything to him

" Unless Gendou ordered her to kill Misato, she wasn't going to do it. She only did what she was ordered. Nothing more, since she seemed to be incapable of making decisions. Unless Gendou said "And if you see Misato, kill her", it makes perfect sense."
This part makes sense, but is frustrating, Rei become zero-personalitied again

" Why not? "
He was floating in space for 14 years... And yet neither side could get him, while they could prepare that ultra-sniper-gun for that polygon angel in a day. This is stupid.

That time skip killed this movie.
May 27, 2013 10:53 AM

Jan 2008
Ah... but I never said that they did the smart thing. I just said that it does make sense.
It DOES make sense to treat Shinji with contempt.
It DOES make sense that Gendou expects him to pilot.
It DOES make sense that Shinji is desperate to fix things.

So yeah, the things they did make sense, it's just that they were also incredibly STUPID.

Now, on Rei being zero-personality again: she's not the same Rei. The Rei from 2.0 is still stuck inside Unit 01.

As for Unit 01 being in space for 14 years, I'm guessing that nobody could get near it because of the Angel around it. Nerv and Wille (GOD, that's a dumb name) might have fought over it.

Now, allow ME to note some stupid actions taken by characters of this move:

1. Treating Shinji like an enemy is understandable. Not explaining what the hell was going on wasn't. From his POV, all he did was try to save Rei. He has no clue what happened after. Considering that he's a big enough of a threat that you need to strap a bomb to him, keeping him in the dark was not a good idea. All they had to do was to sit him down and tell him:
a) We are not NERV. We are fighting NERV.
b) Your father needs you and Unit 01 to trigger 4th impact and wipe out what's left of humanity.
c) Rei is dead. There are several clones of Rei being used by Gendou. Do not be fooled, they are not the same Rei.

2. SEELE being brains. What the hell?

3. Shinji pulling out the lances after Kworu told him not to makes no sense, even if he WAS desperate. Kaworu was the one person who he seemed to trust, but he still ignored him. Why would Kaworu tell him to stop unless is was something serious.

4. The 12th angel was sealed inside EVA 06. They'd better explain that.

5. Full body cores. They pulled that one right out of their ass. If 09 had a full body core, how could it ever lose in battle, unless totally vaporized? 09 could have technically wiped out Wille before they were flight ready.

6. Why WERE Asuka and Mari expecting Shinji to help them? They treated him like shit and tried to kill him.
May 27, 2013 10:54 AM

Oct 2012
OhNasti said:
Tavor said:
OhNasti said:

*points to the poll*

You could've used by own avatar against me....

May 27, 2013 11:57 AM

Aug 2008
1. Treating Shinji like an enemy is understandable. Not explaining what the hell was going on wasn't. From his POV, all he did was try to save Rei. He has no clue what happened after. Considering that he's a big enough of a threat that you need to strap a bomb to him, keeping him in the dark was not a good idea. All they had to do was to sit him down and tell him:
a) We are not NERV. We are fighting NERV.
b) Your father needs you and Unit 01 to trigger 4th impact and wipe out what's left of humanity.
c) Rei is dead. There are several clones of Rei being used by Gendou. Do not be fooled, they are not the same Rei.

Misato didn't explain anything because she didn't want him to get involved with the situation. She didn't want to risk the fact that he might have found out he caused the 3rd impact (She knows how sensitive the guy is). Hence the fact that she saved him and just wanted to keep him safe, because she's no longer a part of nerv and no longer needs to use Shinji as a weapon.

. Shinji pulling out the lances after Kworu told him not to makes no sense, even if he WAS desperate. Kaworu was the one person who he seemed to trust, but he still ignored him. Why would Kaworu tell him to stop unless is was something serious.

He wasn't just desperate, his sanity was near breaking at that moment. The point of the scene is to show even though he has found the perfect connection and that he has someone who understands him that he's not willing to disregard his previous connections that he established.

6. Why WERE Asuka and Mari expecting Shinji to help them? They treated him like shit and tried to kill him.

They weren't trying to kill him, just bring him down. Asuka's speech is exaggerated because that's just how she is (her speech is mean at the end of the movie too but she's actually being nice to him). I guess they wanted him to save her, is because he failed to save her in 2.0 and this was his chance to redeem himself. Asuka in general, wants Shinji to better himself (I guess I finally realized her point hah).
hyperknees91May 27, 2013 12:12 PM
May 27, 2013 12:15 PM

Oct 2012
June93 said:
Miscommunication is a main theme in Q.

I literally lol'd

However, I found your explanations interesting to say the least, hyperknees91.

May 27, 2013 1:14 PM
May 27, 2013 3:10 PM

Jan 2008
June93 said:
Miscommunication is a main theme in Q.

That wasn't miscommunication, that was NO communication.

TALK, YOU MORONS, TALK!!!!!
May 28, 2013 2:24 PM
Jul 2012
Ok, this is probably going to be a mess, since I wanted to draft this first before posting it, but I just can't take it anymore. Everyone's thoughts plus my own are swirling inside my head and my brain feels like it's going to explode. This might piss a lot of you off, but I also hope that some of you will understand to some extent.

First off, Anno has done a wonderful job turning all of us into Shinji, in the respect of us all being lost, confused, and desperate for answers.

Second, if you really think hard about it all, the story really hasn't changed much from the original series. I'll explain this to some degree, but here's what I suggest to those who don't believe me. Watch the original series again, including EoE, then watch the movies. It also wouldn't hurt to take notes from all the related articles on Wikipedia. The Rebuild movies are essentially the same story told from two different accounts.

Now, to truly understand Evangelion, it would take more than a lifetime dedicated to researching it (and there are those poor souls that have tried lol). No one will ever fully understand it, including Anno, but he probably understands it the best out of everyone.

In the series, there were 17 Angels, or rather, 18 if you include Humanity itself. In Eva 3, it stops at 13, with Kaoru being 1 and 13. Someone on here suggested that the last 4 Children are the remaining Angels, and this is a strong possibility.

Now it gets weird, if it wasn't already. Someone else said that Mari could be a clone of Asuka's mother, or Asuka's step-sister. Either of these are also a strong possibilities. Asuka's mother shared a similar fate as Yui. Asuka's parents couldn't have children, so they adopted her. But Asuka's father had a mistress and those two had a daughter (Mari?).

In Hebrew mythology, Lilith was the true first woman on Earth. But because she couldn't bear children, she couldn't make Adam happy. So she was cast out, and Eve (Eva??) was created from Adam. This myth goes in several different directions, but you can definitely apply it to Asuka's background as well as Shinji's.

Adam and Eve partook in the Fruit of Wisdom, which resulted in our strength, that being science and technology. Gendo said this himself. We continued to evolve ourselves artificially, which resulted in the Evas (false gods?). We have reached the end of our evolutionary process, so Seele and Gendo wanted to reach immortality (each with their own personal desires driving this): the Fruit of Life aka the Human Instrumentality Project. This would create a "true God" or a universal consciousness, if you wish to think of it that way. It would be the breaking down of every individuals' AT fields.

In the end of EoE, it is strongly believed that Shinji and Asuka become the new Adam and Eve. All of this resulted from Shinji's final desire to hold on to his individuality, thus stopping the Third Impact. This will probably continue in Eva 4. Also, the title for 4 is a musical annotation that means "refrain" or "repeat." IMO, this probably means that Shinji and Asuka will become the next Adam and Eve again.

BTW, we all hear about the Second, Third, Near-Third Impacts, etc. I know the answer to this...but I'm curious to see if anyone else does. Who here can tell me what the "First Impact" was? I'll tell you if you're correct. Here's a hint: the Moon.

I have much more to say, but unfortunately, I have a life to live. And ultimately, that's the REAL reason Anno created NGE. He was disgusted with the Otaku lifestyle and wanted to create something that would open peoples' eyes to how harmful it was to society. Unfortunately this was an epic backfire. He himself said he would destroy NGE. So with the result of Eva 3, and looking at how many people disliked it, it looks like many of you made him happy. I'm a big fan of the entire series. And I'll probably be hated for this, but I actually liked Eva 3. What is NGE w/o mindfucks and unanswered questions?

I can take criticism. What I can't take is ignorant bashing. SO if you disagree with me on any of this, I welcome a discussion. But please, do yourself a favor and do your hw before bashing my thoughts. You'll only be embarrassing yourself.

With that: Que The Hateful Replies!
Aquarius215May 28, 2013 3:06 PM
May 28, 2013 5:04 PM

Aug 2008
Now it gets weird, if it wasn't already. Someone else said that Mari could be a clone of Asuka's mother, or Asuka's step-sister. Either of these are also a strong possibilities. Asuka's mother shared a similar fate as Yui. Asuka's parents couldn't have children, so they adopted her. But Asuka's father had a mistress and those two had a daughter (Mari?).

Interesting, didn't think of that. Any idea how old Asuka's mother could be? She refers to Gendou by his first name so I'm guessing Mari must be around the same age.

I have much more to say, but unfortunately, I have a life to live. And ultimately, that's the REAL reason Anno created NGE. He was disgusted with the Otaku lifestyle and wanted to create something that would open peoples' eyes to how harmful it was to society. Unfortunately this was an epic backfire. He himself said he would destroy NGE. So with the result of Eva 3, and looking at how many people disliked it, it looks like many of you made him happy. I'm a big fan of the entire series. And I'll probably be hated for this, but I actually liked Eva 3. What is NGE w/o mindfucks and unanswered questions?

I'm kind of curious how you reached that conclusion. Perhaps you can go into more detail because that's not something I ever really caught.

But yeah I'm not really to into understanding the entire universe working of evangelion, because like you said, it's probably impossible. Plus I really don't feel like that's the point of the story anyway.
May 28, 2013 6:05 PM
Jul 2012
hyperknees91 said:

Interesting, didn't think of that. Any idea how old Asuka's mother could be? She refers to Gendou by his first name so I'm guessing Mari must be around the same age.

I'm kind of curious how you reached that conclusion. Perhaps you can go into more detail because that's not something I ever really caught.

But yeah I'm not really to into understanding the entire universe working of evangelion, because like you said, it's probably impossible. Plus I really don't feel like that's the point of the story anyway.

I wouldn't know exactly how old Asuka's mother is, but since she, Gendo, and Yui all worked on the same project (Project E) to develop a kind of direct interface with the Evas, she's probably the same age. Though none of their ages are specified either. Mari is probably the same age too. But even though it's been 14 years, the "curse" of the Eva keeps them physically at the age of whenever they started to pilot and bond to their respective Evas.

As for that conclusion, it wasn't really me that reached it. Many interviews and articles have him on record stating such things. But after reading them and watching the series again, it makes sense. Imagine yourself watching the series as it aired in the 90s for the first time, and then those last two episodes were supposed to be the end, before EoE. My interpretation of those two episodes was him saying you don't have to continue being stuck where you are in life. That you can choose what reality you wish for yourself. Your own truth is what matters most to you. Basically, stop being a shut-in and change your life. Keep in mind that he wrote the series and that original ending after a 4 year bout of severe depression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideaki_Anno
Read the part about Neon Genesis Evangelion if nothing else.

http://chirart.tumblr.com/post/37808402478/evangelion-and-why-hideaki-anno-hates-you
Read the whole article.

Those are just a couple things that prove this is the case. Please read them....they're entertaining if nothing else.
May 28, 2013 9:08 PM

Feb 2011
Uh, I'm really disappointed. To think a few hours ago I was so hyped to see the blu ray had been subbed. Everyone's pretty much asked all the questions already but seriously what's the point of Mari? She feels so... unnecessary. I'm constantly forgetting she even exists.
いっぺん死んでみる?
May 28, 2013 9:18 PM

Oct 2011
mvetS said:
Why didn't kaworu flush the choker down the toilet

Because that fucker's overly dramatic.
May 29, 2013 3:47 AM

May 2010
Rikishi said:
This was the most disappointing thing since Star Wars Episode One.

Come on! Episode Two was much more disappointing...
May 29, 2013 7:57 AM

Jan 2008
mvetS said:

Insurance. And it payed off.
May 29, 2013 9:07 AM
Jul 2012
Vaanskylord said:
Uh, I'm really disappointed. To think a few hours ago I was so hyped to see the blu ray had been subbed. Everyone's pretty much asked all the questions already but seriously what's the point of Mari? She feels so... unnecessary. I'm constantly forgetting she even exists.

Anno himself said he put her in the Rebuild movies to destroy Evangelion. But she does have some secrets that will probably be revealed in 4. As I and many others have said, she's probably related to Asuka in some way.
May 29, 2013 9:09 AM
Jul 2012
DmonHiro said:
mvetS said:

Insurance. And it payed off.

^That.
May 29, 2013 12:25 PM

Aug 2008

http://chirart.tumblr.com/post/37808402478/evangelion-and-why-hideaki-anno-hates-you
Read the whole article.

Those are just a couple things that prove this is the case. Please read them....they're entertaining if nothing else.

You know I had a theory that EoE was like MGS2 was to video games. Didn't know that was actually true haha.

These articles are great and just make me like the series even more, I always thought he wanted to create a realistic setting of mecha and harem on how it would believably play out. But I never thought it was because of the otaku lifestyle (though it makes sense, as it can get a little out of hand). I never understood why people didn't like the original anime ending as it seemed pretty appropriate, but whatever.

Actually you know...this makes sense with Asuka's final line in end of evangelion. She say's "how disgusting", but when anno asked her how to deliver it he described the situation as a guy coming into a girls room with the intention of raping her, but not raping her and just masturbating. This is what Shinji does earlier in the movie and also what Otaku's metaphorically do to anime girls. When she said "disgusting" and anno is described to have sighed and say "I thought as much" it's pretty much saying that he really does feel that otaku's are no good. Damnnnnnn that is good stuff.

Thanks for the share!
May 29, 2013 2:38 PM
Jul 2012
hyperknees91 said:

Read the whole article.

You know I had a theory that EoE was like MGS2 was to video games. Didn't know that was actually true haha.

These articles are great and just make me like the series even more, I always thought he wanted to create a realistic setting of mecha and harem on how it would believably play out. But I never thought it was because of the otaku lifestyle (though it makes sense, as it can get a little out of hand). I never understood why people didn't like the original anime ending as it seemed pretty appropriate, but whatever.

Actually you know...this makes sense with Asuka's final line in end of evangelion. She say's "how disgusting", but when anno asked her how to deliver it he described the situation as a guy coming into a girls room with the intention of raping her, but not raping her and just masturbating. This is what Shinji does earlier in the movie and also what Otaku's metaphorically do to anime girls. When she said "disgusting" and anno is described to have sighed and say "I thought as much" it's pretty much saying that he really does feel that otaku's are no good. Damnnnnnn that is good stuff.

Thanks for the share!

Many people didn't like the original ending BECAUSE they couldn't grasp the sarcasm and the real message behind it. As sad as it can be with how it all turned out, it still is pretty damn funny. And yes, I know about the raping/masturbating thing too. I'm glad you made the same connection as I did. I'm also glad you took the time to read those and came away liking NGE more. Thanks for the positive feedback. I really was expecting more negative comments, but then again, it's still early in the game :P So, regarding what we've learned, do you think 4 will end closer to the original ending, or the EoE ending?

"OH, YOU WANT MORE EMOTIONAL TORTURE PORN? I WILL GIVE YOU THE EMOTIONAL TORTURE PORN" I literally lol'd when I first read that way back.
I think it might be closer to this, but even more intense. However, it's Anno, so who knows...
Pages (16) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I am Deathly Afraid of Evangelion

DoctorOddball - Aug 29, 2023

2 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM

» How do you feel about Shinji??

SwagDemonMan - Oct 15, 2014

24 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Evangelion 3.0 explained (attempt to) [SPOILER]

GuidSMR - Apr 18, 2023

5 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:05 PM

» So is Evangelion 3.0 really that bad? ( 1 2 )

DeusAnima - Oct 6, 2013

75 by Jun_Rei »»
Jul 12, 2022 5:36 AM

» Should I rewatch Evangelion before watching this

Vai03 - Jun 27, 2022

19 by Vai03 »»
Jun 30, 2022 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.