Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 2, 2012 3:46 PM

Feb 2012
I suppose it's not fanservice that I dislike, more how it's executed. I've only seen a few anime that actually manage to pull off fanservice without making them seem stupidly immature.

I find it hard to take anime with fanservice seriously, so that's why I hate it.
Dec 2, 2012 3:46 PM

Aug 2012
Fanservice is only good if the anime its based around it. Take Highschool of the Dead for example. The anime would amazing if there was no fanservice. Sure there would be episode about plot development and a little skin exposure. But, when your battling zombies, where would rather look? At the zombies attacking you? Or up a girl's skirt?
Dec 2, 2012 5:28 PM
Dec 2012
I generally dislike it because it alienates part of its potential audience. If I'm watching something and they keep throwing boobs in my face, it tells me "oh, YOU'RE not our target audience. You can watch if you really want to, but we don't really want or need you as a fan." It's like making a dish super spicy. Some may like it better that way and that's fine, but I can't stand it and need to eat something else instead.

That said, it can be done well and unobtrusively. For example, having a femme fatale spend most of her screen time in skin tight cloths to seduce men makes sense for the character. But having a group of high school girls wear super short school uniform skirts is out of place because it doesn't make sense for the setting or characters. I don't mind fanservice if it makes sense for a character, but it frequently doesn't.
Dec 2, 2012 5:32 PM

Jul 2012
Minimal fan service - whatever, I just look past it.
Obnoxious levels of fan service - Annoying, usually won't even watch those kind of shows.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Dec 2, 2012 5:33 PM

Sep 2012
I don't care as long it's subtle. Any more than the occasional panty/cleavage shot and it gets annoying.
Dec 2, 2012 5:34 PM

Nov 2012
enjoy a mild one once in a while
Dec 2, 2012 5:41 PM

Jun 2009
Hmm, it depends really. Nothing ruins a serious moment like a random ass or breast shot, but other than that it really doesn't bother me.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 2, 2012 5:44 PM

Jan 2008
Commonly made thread.

I enjoy my fanservice but not all.

I'm not a big fan of the extremely high level clothing damage trope where the girls literally lose a good portion of their clothing from the most simplest attacks.

/punches girl in chest
*boom*
/entire chest part of clothing explodes off.

When I'm watching fight scenes, I'd prefer to watch it for the fighting.

Examples of these:
Ikki Tousen
Seikon no Qwaser
Freezing

Now in hentai, I could care less, I never watch hentai for the fighting scenes.

The only exception I think I have so far would be Highschool DxD, only because the MC's special attack itself is to destroy the clothing of a person, that being a girl, literally. It was called Dress Break.

Oh also, I don't like crappy levels of ecchi. If you're gonna main a ecchi genre, bare it all or gtfo. What show am I talking about? Rosario Vampire, nothing but shitty panty shots the entire first season. Already ruined the plot, gotta ruin the fanservice as well.

For the ecchi I do enjoy, it'd be the more casual stuff (that you'd only see in anime of course), or comedy based ecchi themes.
PaulDec 2, 2012 5:47 PM
Dec 2, 2012 5:50 PM

Aug 2012
never... unless it's some yuri... guess that shows what my interests are.
Dec 2, 2012 6:13 PM
Oct 2012
BOOM listen to me
Code Geass: its fine
Highschool of the dead: a bit too much but im a guy so i enjoyed it
Boku no Pico:....lol
Dec 2, 2012 7:20 PM
Jul 2012
really? i enjoy fan service
Dec 2, 2012 7:26 PM

Aug 2012
Glub said:
I hate fanservice with all my strenght.
Dec 2, 2012 7:51 PM

Mar 2012
I actually don't really care. If an anime has fanservice then good for them, if it doesn't then good for them too!
Dec 2, 2012 8:06 PM

Nov 2012
Virtual_BS said:
Yes.

Not too much though to the point that there's nothing else to the show.

Strike Witches has just the right amount.

I personally thought strike witches could have used a few more panty shots.....but thats just me
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 2, 2012 8:09 PM

Aug 2010
I think fan service is ok, but with anything it has to be in moderation (High school of the Dead is a example of overdoing it).
Dec 2, 2012 8:12 PM

May 2012
Fanservice is indifferent to me. But sometimes can be a no to me.
It's never a "yes", unless it's manservice .. :3
Dec 2, 2012 8:15 PM

Nov 2012
Why does everyone keep saying high school of the dead had heaps of fan service?
I honestly didnt think they really had that much (i'm not joking)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 2, 2012 8:18 PM

Oct 2012
no_good_name said:

I don't know, maybe you're use to it and didn't really pass by as being fan service.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 2, 2012 8:23 PM

Nov 2012
Tavor said:
no_good_name said:

I don't know, maybe you're use to it and didn't really pass by as being fan service.

The only really fan servicey part that really stuck in my heas was when that guy was sniping on suger tits chest (the names escape me and i'm not going to google search it, i'll leave it to a fan)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 2, 2012 8:51 PM

Aug 2012
Fan service is shit

The only fan service I thought was pulled off rather well was in Redline. It only happened once throughout the whole movie, and it occurred in a natural, non forced way. In other words, they kept it classy.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Dec 2, 2012 9:05 PM

Aug 2009
I like the tits,ass and panty shots fanservice. I wish the live action shows had fan service like that in them.
Dec 2, 2012 9:34 PM

Mar 2012
When it's done creatively like in the 'Monogatari series (Nisemonogatari especially) It's great. If it's done in a way that doesn't distract me (For example, Strike Witches) then I won't care. If it's over the top and incredibly distracting, I absolutely despise it.
Dec 3, 2012 12:11 AM

Oct 2012
i enjoy fan service :D
Dec 3, 2012 12:25 AM

Mar 2009
I'm kinda neutral about it but fanservice in scenes that are supposed to be serious can get annoying.
Dec 3, 2012 12:41 AM

Oct 2012
I really don't care as long as it doesn't get in the way. I wouldn't really pick out my anime just because of fanservice.
Though I might enjoy "fanservice" like in the KHR OVA.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Dec 3, 2012 12:42 AM

Oct 2012
Churuya_San said:
Dec 3, 2012 12:46 AM

Nov 2012
Itermin8rX said:
Churuya_San said:

i cant think of a single show that has manservice
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 3, 2012 12:46 AM

Nov 2012
Itermin8rX said:
Churuya_San said:

私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 3, 2012 12:48 AM

Sep 2011
Depends. I rarely watch shows with fanservice, but it doesn't bother me if it's clear the anime is going to have it because I can just avoid watching it.
Dec 3, 2012 12:50 AM

Oct 2012
no_good_name said:
Itermin8rX said:
Churuya_San said:

KHR OVA
Also Psycho Pass episode 3 .
Dec 3, 2012 12:50 AM
Dec 2012
I don't mind it.

High School of the Dead is one of my favorite series just because its so fun to watch.
Dec 3, 2012 1:14 AM

Nov 2012
Itermin8rX said:
no_good_name said:
Itermin8rX said:
Churuya_San said:

KHR OVA
Also Psycho Pass episode 3 .
\That would be pretty damn hot if it was a chick.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 3, 2012 1:37 AM
Sep 2009
A little fanservice never hurt and in a lot of cases can really help a show gain popularity. The problem is when it isn't needed for a show, but ends up having it too often, or having it during the wrong moments. Otherwise I don't care much. If its a parody or a show centered around fanservice, then I at least know what I'm getting into ahead of time and can avoid it if necessary.
Dec 3, 2012 3:51 AM
Dec 2012
Anime_Name said:
executableapplet said:
SetsukoHara said:
Anime_Name said:
The fact they have strong feelings against fan service indicates they are not fans of the shows that use it and should not act as if a show with fan service is in anyway harming itself for pleasing the fans the service is aimed at.

Fan service is one of the cheapest attempt to grab the attention of a viewer. If you actually think that it's OK for the author to take you as someone so shallow you'd like an anime more if they throw some boobs in your face. Well, good for you!

I like fan service because I am a fan and not a fool that believes anime to simply be used for pretentious artistic(and often shitty) expression.

So not liking fanservice = being "a fool that believes anime to simply be used for pretentious artistic(and often shitty) expression."

LOL
The logic some people use is astounding. Especially when it's so easy to show them the irony of their own statement. Lol

Yup, it is very ironic for a fan to not like fan service.
I don't see what's ironic about that.
Dec 3, 2012 4:06 AM
Mar 2012
Are we talking about any type of fanservice, or specifically ecchi fanservice? I don't mind anything that's fanservice.
Dec 3, 2012 8:30 AM

Feb 2012
If it isn't the main point of the anime, it doesn't really matter, in fact I welcome it sometimes.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Dec 3, 2012 9:16 AM

Jul 2012
I do not really pay attention to fan service. It won't make an anime for me and it won't break it.

Extremes are always annoying of course, from both sides.

However, I find it very enjoyable when it is done well, tastefully, and not overly vulgar. Then again, that might not actually be considered fan-service. Infact, it probably isn't. Maybe halfway there? Dunno really.
LogicielDec 3, 2012 9:22 AM
Critic.
Dec 3, 2012 9:19 AM
Jun 2012
no_good_name said:
Itermin8rX said:
Churuya_San said:

Dec 3, 2012 9:35 AM

Jun 2008
Hmm.. I think the topic is more complicated than that because fan-service isn't always the same.
There have been shows that threw faservice where it felt completely unneeded and actually harming the show but there also shows full of fanservice that have no purpose of existing without it.

What i do hate though is when we have a very good show and shows some nakedness with a different style that the silly ecchi fanservice style and people start "OMG! such a good show and now it has been ruined because i saw little seconds of nakedness" For fucks sake, when it's shown in a natural way it isn't like that, stop being elitist pricks trying to play the all serious critics, you actually only show you are kids that haven't matured enough and learn to be more relax and settle with their self and their hormones.

no_good_name said:
Itermin8rX said:
Churuya_San said:

This is a joke right? I already saw two shows this season and am not talking about shoujo or yaoi shows.
Dec 3, 2012 9:42 AM

Jul 2012
Monad said:

What i do hate though is when we have a very good show and shows some nakedness with a different style that the silly ecchi fanservice style and people start "OMG! such a good show and now it has been ruined because i saw little seconds of nakedness"

I agree with this. People tend to exaggerate about these things in the anime community.

It's natural to show these things when their natural time comes, in a natural way. ;D
Critic.
Dec 3, 2012 10:21 AM

Dec 2011
No- If the fanservice is blatant.
Indifferent- If the fanserivce shown is at a decent level.
Dec 3, 2012 10:33 AM

Apr 2012
no_good_name said:

Utena is quite a famous example.

Fanservice is a tool. It isn't good or bad in of itself, it all depends what you do with it.
Dec 3, 2012 10:34 AM

Jul 2010
for the most part no i won't watch shows like strike witches because it doesn't look like there is any story behind the show. though i saw that people were talking about high school of the dead; i thought that was pretty fun to watch lol. it might be because they aren't kids flying around in their underwear.

Dec 3, 2012 10:38 AM

Feb 2010
Indifferent. I know what I'm getting into. The problem is when fanservice appears where it's not needed.
Dec 3, 2012 11:19 AM

Nov 2012
I couldn't give a damn about fanservice.
Of course , it is always refreshing to look at a pretty face flashing some cleavage ( implying a good art too). I have no problem with that. The only problem is when fanservice is used just for the sake of fanservice. Unjustified bath scenes or useless beach trips episodes.
It's really hard for me to respect a female character that spends more time undressed then dressed... wait a minute .... Nevermind.
Dec 3, 2012 11:24 AM

Jun 2008
I don't mind unless it's too much.
Dec 3, 2012 1:07 PM

Feb 2010
apparently some people burst into flames if they see boobs... i ran into one person who refused to watch an anime just because one of the characters boobs jiggled slightly on one part.... personally it does not bother me. but the people who overreact to it in a negative way.. do.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Dec 3, 2012 1:40 PM
Feb 2012
Indifferent.
Usually depends on my mood though.
Dec 3, 2012 1:53 PM

Apr 2012
Personally, fanservices that are used in appropriate amount and in appropriate situations are good.

Excess fanservices, though, are distractions from the plot..
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 3, 2012 1:58 PM

Feb 2010
bunny_lover said:
Personally, fanservices that are used in appropriate amount and in appropriate situations are good.

Excess fanservices, though, are distractions from the plot..
but what if that excess fanservice was part of the plot? :D
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you think male ecchi for men could work as a concept?

Anjuro - Yesterday

33 by 210200 »»
37 minutes ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

626 by StyxParadise »»
37 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - 11 hours ago

23 by 210200 »»
40 minutes ago

» Isekais that you think are actually good and why

IpreferEcchi - Sep 16

44 by Zettaiken »»
41 minutes ago

Poll: » does japan care about spoilers like the west? also if youre active on the internet you will get spoiled

deg - Yesterday

20 by 210200 »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.