Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 21, 2011 5:35 PM

Aug 2010
I don't think there is a difference between kids and adults dying, so unless its a character that I like, than i'm fine with it.

But then, if I hated child violence, I wouldn't watch Dragon Ball Z.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Sep 21, 2011 5:51 PM

Apr 2008
Tokyo Magnitude ;_________;

Sep 21, 2011 6:00 PM

Aug 2011
If its a random kid noone knows about idc really. Children die just as much as adults in the daily world. It is sadder to see a main character that is a kid die than one that is an adult though. I don't really like seeing kids deaths all that much but its meh.
Sep 21, 2011 6:05 PM

Jun 2009
this:

Keilis said:
No. Killing adults is just as bad as killing kids, so I don't see why killing kids should be considered "worse".

also, i think it's considered worse cause the victim's a lot younger, but that's me.

Narmy said:
Kids aren't always entirely innocent.

:D
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Sep 21, 2011 6:06 PM

Sep 2011
i dont like seeing anything die but i will admit seeing a kid die is much harder to see, mabey why air was so hard to sit through the ending

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 21, 2011 6:22 PM

Aug 2011
Lordcrab86 said:
this:

Keilis said:
No. Killing adults is just as bad as killing kids, so I don't see why killing kids should be considered "worse".

also, i think it's considered worse cause the victim's a lot younger, but that's me.

Narmy said:
Kids aren't always entirely innocent.

:D

Ok now don't quote Elfen Lied for this topic. This is the one exception where it got really fucked up but that made the story I guess.
Sep 21, 2011 6:50 PM

Jun 2011
Matron_Laylie said:
Ok now don't quote Elfen Lied for this topic. This is the one exception where it got really fucked up but that made the story I guess.

The Kanae train scene was worse, since she was totally innocent and undeserving. Still, it didn't bother me since it's not real anyways.
Sep 21, 2011 6:59 PM

Sep 2011
Harii said:
It's funny how most people freak out when they see a kid (named or random) die, but when they see a random person die they go all like "meh.."
I mean, what's the difference? Just like Baman said, old people have dreams too.
Besides, it's fiction. There's no reason to go crazy over a fictional character. Then why don't you cry over every kid that dies everyday?

Denniz said:

yes but still, young viewers "might accidentally watch" it so i think gore stuffs shouldn't be that hard core. and this doesn't apply only to children, there are multiple cases of extreme behavior that involves teens as well. what a person see/hear/experience can affect their way of thinking and you can never tell what impact a show like that may cause to a viewer regardless of their age. no wonder violence is
very common to see this days.

You're talking like every person that has seen these "disturbing things" have been traumatized. Most people aren't that weak-minded.
Like a 8-year old kid would go rent a movie or buy a game that 17+. It does happen, but that's because the parents doesn't care what their children see or hear.

Oh, and that's a stupid reason to blame on the violence these days. It's already been proven that video games, movies a TV can't affect so drastically.

being strong/weak minded is not the point, the point is extreme violence shouldn't be made as an entertainment. any decent person will not see these kind of stuff entertaining at all. and if it is already proven that video games/movies can't affect anyone's sanity, how come there are cases of extreme behavior that has been caused by those kind of stuff? and along with that, before airing those stuff how come they are advising "parental guidance"? i'll tell you. it's because it CAN affect viewers.
Sep 21, 2011 7:40 PM

Jun 2009
@ Denniz

I'm sure it could possibly effect a "weak minded" or otherwise mentally impaired person or younger children. But, really, what couldn't effect them? And, it isn't as though someone like that is the majority of people.This goes hand in hand with good parenting as well, but I don't feel like getting into that.

The fact is that violence is sometimes necessary for the story and I honestly don't see the problem in that.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 21, 2011 8:02 PM

Sep 2011
insan3soldiern said:
@ Denniz

I'm sure it could possibly effect a "weak minded" or otherwise mentally impaired person or younger children. But, really, what couldn't effect them? And, it isn't as though someone like that is the majority of people.This goes hand in hand with good parenting as well, but I don't feel like getting into that.

The fact is that violence is sometimes necessary for the story and I honestly don't see the problem in that.

i agree that violence is necessary but it shouldn't be extreme. i'm talking about the decency and morality of shows that are being produced. honestly speaking, i don't have anything against fighting/killing scenes but exaggerating and emphasizing the methods/procedures is not necessary because it gives out negative impact to viewers. that's why i understand the point of Mr. Mizushima Tsutomu (director of Blood C) with regards on the way he directed the series. (http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=328275) <<<i'm talking about this one.
Sep 21, 2011 8:11 PM

Nov 2009
Why would I feel bad,? I'ts just fiction...
Sep 21, 2011 8:26 PM

Jun 2009
notsureifsrs said:
Not gonna lie, this made me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1fsVx5ZFgM

That had me in stitches XD
Sep 21, 2011 10:11 PM

Jan 2011
Shadow Star Narutaru anyone?

This anime really grabbed at me. From the deceitful op to the ending. After reading the manga it was easy to see why the series was dropped.

Rape
Mutilation
Pregnancy
Murder
Abuse
^now add "child" to the from of everyone of those and you have Shadow Star Narutaru.

Yet somehow, it enthralled me. Kitoh is known for having prepubescent children getting into sticky situations. Like a couple others on here, Bokurano was all about kids dying. And the story behind those kids (once again, pregnancy, abuse, rape, self-mutilation, etc.).
Sep 21, 2011 11:52 PM

Nov 2008
Discord said:
If it tries and fails to make you care, it's probably not very good fiction. You don't need to be insane to put the distinction aside for a second, all it should take is a worthwhile story.
Sep 21, 2011 11:57 PM

Sep 2010
lanblade said:
Shadow Star Narutaru anyone?

This anime really grabbed at me. From the deceitful op to the ending. After reading the manga it was easy to see why the series was dropped.

Rape
Mutilation
Pregnancy
Murder
Abuse
^now add "child" to the from of everyone of those and you have Shadow Star Narutaru.

Yet somehow, it enthralled me. Kitoh is known for having prepubescent children getting into sticky situations. Like a couple others on here, Bokurano was all about kids dying. And the story behind those kids (once again, pregnancy, abuse, rape, self-mutilation, etc.).

i gotta try this anime now :O
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2011 12:34 AM

Dec 2010
Leonard93 said:
Don't. None of his anime adaptations do his manga any justice. Uninstall was a great OP, though.
Sep 22, 2011 1:10 AM

Nov 2010
Meh, that's how i feel about kids dying in anime since it's not real and should really have no influence on me.
Sep 22, 2011 1:29 AM

Sep 2010
notsureifsrs said:
Leonard93 said:
Don't. None of his anime adaptations do his manga any justice. Uninstall was a great OP, though.

i will still try it, one day.
seeing my PTW list its gonna take a long time before i pick it prolly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 22, 2011 1:39 AM

Feb 2011
Kids getting killed in anime is a plus.... No more God mode
Sep 22, 2011 2:33 AM

Oct 2009
notsureifsrs said:
Not gonna lie, this made me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1fsVx5ZFgM

It's kinda' bad that I'm now debating whether or not to add this Anime to my PTW.

But I can be a little.. uncomfortable.. when children are killed in Anime. Maybe because it's like stepping over a line of being more.. (I can't find the right word, so) realistic? It's rare that you see children dying on Anime, so it's like the Anime is reminding us that yes, children do die too.
Sep 22, 2011 2:56 AM

Apr 2009
It bugs me that it's ok to kill young folks, adults and older people, but kids are somehow a taboo. So their lives are somehow more valuable? Yeah, you are too good today, but tomorrow is your 18-th birthday so starting from tomorrow we don't give a shit about you anymore. Hypocrisy all the way. Leading to some ridiculous censorship in games like Fallout 3/NV etc. Everyone should have an equal right to be killed in fiction.
Sep 22, 2011 6:55 AM

Jan 2011
Little shits have had it good for too long, the only good kind of kid is the dead kind.
Sep 22, 2011 9:37 AM

Sep 2010
If the deaths are used to display how big and bad the Big Bad is then the death of unnamed fodder characters, regardless of age, have the same impact(moderate snickering to slight shock depending on how violent the death was) on me.
Virtual kid characters that have bigger parts in shows that die have more impact but it is only because they did more in the anime than just appear on screen to die.

Sep 22, 2011 12:44 PM

Sep 2010
Kazeshini said:
all those kids on naruto should die, that will hurt those narutards, then they will commit suicide.

There is a chance that Sasuke will die considering his how long he has been on "the evil side". That would be a fitting end for him and a good drama scen but same time hurt the Sasuke fans.
Sep 22, 2011 3:08 PM

May 2011
I'm used to it, thanks to Now and Then, Here and There, Mohiro Kitoh's work, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and every generic horror anime/manga I've seen.

Still, every time it happens, you know things are getting serious. o.0
Sep 22, 2011 3:10 PM

Sep 2011
Klimat said:
It bugs me that it's ok to kill young folks, adults and older people, but kids are somehow a taboo. So their lives are somehow more valuable? Yeah, you are too good today, but tomorrow is your 18-th birthday so starting from tomorrow we don't give a shit about you anymore. Hypocrisy all the way. Leading to some ridiculous censorship in games like Fallout 3/NV etc. Everyone should have an equal right to be killed in fiction.
youd love the first deus ex game, you can kill everything that moves including kids

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 22, 2011 3:52 PM

May 2011
Klimat said:
^Aside from the last two words, I agree with this statement. Children are overrated. People tend to forget that those cute, naive creatures might grow up to become violent murderers, thieves, or rapists.

JonyJC said:
Little shits have had it good for too long, the only good kind of kid is the dead kind.
^LMAO, yes, they are somehow immune in most visual media. That is absurd and unrealistic.

Valithar said:
Kids getting killed in anime is a plus.... No more God mode
^Mmhm, prudes have had their way for far too long already.

Leonard93 said:
notsureifsrs said:
Leonard93 said:
Don't. None of his anime adaptations do his manga any justice.

i will still try it, one day.
seeing my PTW list its gonna take a long time before i pick it prolly.
^I have the same problem; my "plan-to-watch" list is growing out of proportions. About the adaptations, anime may usually have better artwork, but manga always has the canon, more complete story.

NyuuuuSaaaan said:
Discord said:
You don't need to be insane to put the distinction aside for a second, all it should take is a worthwhile story.
^Some people unfortunately do not take in the essence a story has because of foolish reasons.

Denniz said:
insan3soldiern said:
@ Denniz

i agree that violence is necessary but it shouldn't be extreme. i'm talking about the decency and morality of shows that are being produced. honestly speaking, i don't have anything against fighting/killing scenes but exaggerating and emphasizing the methods/procedures is not necessary because it gives out negative impact to viewers.
^I am mostly with "insan3soldiern" on this one, but the only thing I think you ("Denniz") are right about is the unnecessary exaggeration of gore, and not for the stupid argument about kids watching/seeing and being "traumatized" by it, but due to the fact that it is often pointless and poorly made. For example: Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (animation), Battle Royale (manga), and The Final Destination (live-action).

As for my opinion regarding the topic, I would have to say that unless it is a person I care about, be they fictional or real, I am not affected that much no matter their age. However, as a man, I do hate seeing girls being beaten, like in H20 Footprints in the Sand. I was pleasantly surprised when a child (albeit a generic character) caught the killer disease and then bit her mother on-screen in High School of the Dead, though. I thought something like that would not be shown in the softer anime (compared to manga).

The truth is, I believe that older people dying is sadder than when younger ones do, because adults have already established their lives, met many individuals, and created a lot of memories, whereas babies dying is usually no more upsetting than miscarriages, since there is no depth to them. Innocence fades away eventually in time, anyway.

On a side note, users need to be wary of spoilers here. Not everyone has watched Higurashi and Elfen Lied. Too much has already been spouted or shown.
SeijurouSep 22, 2011 3:58 PM
"Giving one's name to someone about to die is meaningless." - Hiko Seijuurou
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Sep 23, 2011 10:23 AM

Sep 2011
People dying in anime/manga has more impact on me than people dying in real life. Have nothing against life but anime/manga just has better storytelling. Also, children are fine too... actually no, children are -preferred-, watching adults die has gotten a bit stale as of late to be honest.
Sep 23, 2011 10:32 AM
Apr 2011
its an anime,

remembering where reality is more important
Sep 23, 2011 12:19 PM

Aug 2008
majinjeff999 said:
its an anime,

remembering where reality is more important

How about when you get attached to the characters? What then?

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Sep 23, 2011 12:26 PM

Apr 2011
reality or anime i don't care both of them!!

gore anime is awesome!!!!!!!!!

Sep 23, 2011 7:39 PM

Sep 2011
Denniz said:
insan3soldiern said:
@ Denniz

i agree that violence is necessary but it shouldn't be extreme. i'm talking about the decency and morality of shows that are being produced. honestly speaking, i don't have anything against fighting/killing scenes but exaggerating and emphasizing the methods/procedures is not necessary because it gives out negative impact to viewers.
Seijurou said:
^I am mostly with "insan3soldiern" on this one, but the only thing I think you ("Denniz") are right about is the unnecessary exaggeration of gore, and not for the stupid argument about kids watching/seeing and being "traumatized" by it, but due to the fact that it is often pointless and poorly made. For example: Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal (animation), Battle Royale (manga), and The Final Destination (live-action).

well i guess you're totally against kids since you see it as a "stupid argument". i just hope you'll understand it once you become a parent. and actually, i'm not referring to gore stuff being unnecessary because of the reason that it is poorly made. i'm saying it is unnecessary because it's giving the audience a negative perception and it is being used as an entertainment and laughing matter. just like what i said on my previous post, "i'm talking about the decency and morality of shows that are being produced".

i can see that there are a lot of people find these extreme gore stuffs "fun/cool" because of seeing those kind of shows. that's a perfect example of having a negative perception of things. if a person thinks that those kind of stuff is funny then i think that person should visit a psychiatrist as soon as possible.
Den-kunSep 23, 2011 7:55 PM
Sep 23, 2011 7:45 PM

Sep 2011
xosist said:
reality or anime i don't care both of them!!

gore anime is awesome!!!!!!!!!

wait since when does killing off characters mean its Gorey,

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Sep 23, 2011 11:24 PM

Jul 2011
It's interesting that this happens so often. It's an almost unspoken "rule" in western media that kids don't get killed unless their death is a central catalyst for the story or something -- there are exceptions of course, but a popular example is when Hitchcock killed a kid once in an early film, realized audiences hated seeing it, and refused to ever do it again. So it's funny to see it be such a pervasive trend in so many manga and anime stories.
... and EAT IT !!
Sep 24, 2011 4:45 AM

Mar 2011
It's amusing, but that's because I'm a terrible human being.
Sep 24, 2011 11:16 PM

Feb 2011
I found when Ladd

Would it be still counted as killing kids?
mococomonoSep 25, 2011 1:41 AM
Sep 25, 2011 12:09 AM

Jun 2009
@ Kwangsta

First of all that's kind of a spoiler. And, how the hell could you know that when you first see the series?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 25, 2011 12:23 AM

May 2011
Denniz said:

well i guess you're totally against kids since you see it as a "stupid argument". i just hope you'll understand it once you become a parent. and actually, i'm not referring to gore stuff being unnecessary because of the reason that it is poorly made. i'm saying it is unnecessary because it's giving the audience a negative perception and it is being used as an entertainment and laughing matter. just like what i said on my previous post, "i'm talking about the decency and morality of shows that are being produced".

i can see that there are a lot of people find these extreme gore stuffs "fun/cool" because of seeing those kind of shows. that's a perfect example of having a negative perception of things. if a person thinks that those kind of stuff is funny then i think that person should visit a psychiatrist as soon as possible.
I was refraining from replying to your ridiculous statements directly, but you asked for it.

Overly protective prudes like you that want to censor media are extremely annoying and noisy. You should not interfere with what artists wish to express. It is actually quite simple: You dislike the painting, do not buy it, but stop imposing your baseless garbage on what you hate. There are so many factors that alter a child's behavior that makes television seem insignificant in comparison: Games, friends, education, society, isolation (which is what the likes of you try to do), environment, books, and most importantly, parenting. Are you saying that everything was peaceful before 1929, the year television came to be produced, for all times? Have you any idea of how many wars and crimes were committed before that? Now you should understand why I called your argument stupid. Blaming your own (parenting) mistakes upon others is rather unsightly and truly pathetic.

Besides, who are you to judge what is "decent" and "moral"? I missed the part where you claimed to be Aristotle's descendant. What you were raised to believe is not necessarily objective standards. If everyone that had a weird sense of humor were considered crazy, then half the world would have been sent to asylums. As the proverb goes (unless you want to attack that, too), different strokes for different folks.
"There are no miracles in this world; there are only accidents, inevitabilities, and what you are going to do. That is it." - Himura Yuu
"A sword is a weapon. Swordsmanship is learning how to kill. No pretty words you say will change that." - Hiko Seijuurou
Sep 25, 2011 1:00 AM

Jun 2010
Grave of the fireflies.... broke my heart

Still made the anime what it is, so in the end, if it served the plot, why not? (its not a real kid anyways)
Sep 25, 2011 1:01 AM

Aug 2009
I always found the death of the kid to be a tad more tragic usually. Whenever an adult character dies, it's almost because he actually asked for it. As for kids, death was just a bitch who happened to pass by.
-Fixing-
Sep 25, 2011 1:40 AM

Feb 2011
insan3soldiern said:
@ Kwangsta

First of all that's kind of a spoiler. And, how the hell could you know that when you first see the series?

I apologize. I have put up an spoiler.

But in response to your question. My opinion was based off the Baccano anime series I've seen (rewatching again, since its awesome). And in the anime, it clearly explains why Cezslaw is the way he is. Also it shows why he ends up in that situation.

Did that answer your question?
Sep 25, 2011 2:41 AM

Jun 2009
kwangsta said:
insan3soldiern said:
@ Kwangsta

I apologize. I have put up an spoiler.

But in response to your question. My opinion was based off the Baccano anime series I've seen (rewatching again, since its awesome). And in the anime, it clearly explains why Cezslaw is the way he is. Also it shows why he ends up in that situation.

Did that answer your question?

Yeah, but you don't know that from the first episode. That's what I meant. And, I've actually seen the series. I just feel the need to call out spoilers when I see them, having a series ruined for you when are watching or even before isn't cool. That happened to me very recently with the Steins;Gate ending.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 25, 2011 3:17 AM

Sep 2011
Seijurou said:
Denniz said:

I was refraining from replying to your ridiculous statements directly, but you asked for it.

Overly protective prudes like you that want to censor media are extremely annoying and noisy. You should not interfere with what artists wish to express. It is actually quite simple: You dislike the painting, do not buy it, but stop imposing your baseless garbage on what you hate. There are so many factors that alter a child's behavior that makes television seem insignificant in comparison: Games, friends, education, society, isolation (which is what the likes of you try to do), environment, books, and most importantly, parenting. Are you saying that everything was peaceful before 1929, the year television came to be produced, for all times? Have you any idea of how many wars and crimes were committed before that? Now you should understand why I called your argument stupid. Blaming your own (parenting) mistakes upon others is rather unsightly and truly pathetic.

Besides, who are you to judge what is "decent" and "moral"? I missed the part where you claimed to be Aristotle's descendant. What you were raised to believe is not necessarily objective standards. If everyone that had a weird sense of humor were considered crazy, then half the world would have been sent to asylums. As the proverb goes (unless you want to attack that, too), different strokes for different folks.

first of all i'm not asking for a fight (if that's what you mean by your opening statement) if my opinion upsets you i apologize you don't have to go overboard just to prove me wrong because this is a forum after all. as for your point i understand that you are really into violence and i respect that but what you said before contradicts your statement now. you said before that video games doesn't affect children and now it actually can. as for the year when television was invented that you are talking about, most of those crimes were committed by adults (who are capable enough to distinguish what is right/what is wrong) so i don't think it really has something to do with this topic. people with this kind of opinion like me and mr mizushima are not trying to be someone's descendant or anything, we are just expressing our objection when it comes to unnecessary and overly done violence. again, if my opinion infuriated you i sincerely apologize.
peace!
Den-kunSep 25, 2011 3:23 AM
Sep 25, 2011 11:39 AM

Feb 2011
insan3soldiern said:

Yeah, but you don't know that from the first episode. That's what I meant. And, I've actually seen the series. I just feel the need to call out spoilers when I see them, having a series ruined for you when are watching or even before isn't cool. That happened to me very recently with the Steins;Gate ending.

I always end up spoiling myself, which depending on the series, a massive disappoinent.
But the important thing is, he looks like a kid. Which will most likely to cause an immediate reaction, no matter what the circumstances may be
Sep 25, 2011 3:44 PM

May 2011
Denniz said:

first of all i'm not asking for a fight (if that's what you mean by your opening statement) if my opinion upsets you i apologize you don't have to go overboard just to prove me wrong because this is a forum after all. as for your point i understand that you are really into violence and i respect that but what you said before contradicts your statement now. you said before that video games doesn't affect children and now it actually can. as for the year when television was invented that you are talking about, most of those crimes were committed by adults (who are capable enough to distinguish what is right/what is wrong) so i don't think it really has something to do with this topic. people with this kind of opinion like me and mr mizushima are not trying to be someone's descendant or anything, we are just expressing our objection when it comes to unnecessary and overly done violence. again, if my opinion infuriated you i sincerely apologize.
peace!
I meant that you should get ready for a long argument. Do not get me wrong, though, it is not that I am "into violence," it is just that I am against censorship in general, and, like I said, I even hate gore, but unlike you, I do not advocate its removal from the media just because I have issues with it. I see the tag and watch/read at my own risk. As for me "contradicting" myself, I have looked back on what I wrote, and never once have I mentioned that video games do not affect children at all; if you are referring to what I briefly talked about regarding "trauma," which is in reality irrelevant, then you should know the difference between that word (which is extreme) and what "alters a child's behavior." Again, there are many factors that contribute to shaping kids' personalities that blaming the entertainment (observe this word) industry as the most responsible is absurd, and note that I have listed only some of them.

About the crimes in the past being committed mostly by adults, that still holds true today, but in the past, adolescents (who are usually called kids) used to get married more, purposely have children of their own, and sometimes even lead armies. Actually, what the younger generation nowadays does and thinks of is an iota of the maturity and capability that the sons and daughters of the people of old upheld.
Sep 25, 2011 4:11 PM

Jul 2009
For me personally, being old or young, a character is a character...
I personally don't understand why people feel they must be sensitive to a issue such as death of a child in fiction; in real life, minors die all the time; tragedy strikes - this is an unfortunate element of life that isn't reserved for teens and adults only.

If a childs death is significant, then so be it; it can actually be a powerful tool, such as the two innocent little girls in FMA brotherhood...

In Baccano...

Age aside, all characters deserve whatever aknowledgement the author chooses to give them, taboo or not.

Sep 25, 2011 7:35 PM

Dec 2010
Killing pre-adolescense or young teens is usually for very specific, story driven reasons.

1. To validate the point of a villain or anti-hero, or show a character's descent into either role. Alternatively shown to show how far gone a character is. As in, insane.

2. To dramatize and create sympathy from the audience. Memorable characters that are kids tend to fall into this more often then not.

Honestly I don't see the problem. There is worst things an anime can use as plot devices.
Sep 25, 2011 8:15 PM

Sep 2011
Seijurou said:
Denniz said:

peace!
I meant that you should get ready for a long argument. Do not get me wrong, though, it is not that I am "into violence," it is just that I am against censorship in general, and, like I said, I even hate gore, but unlike you, I do not advocate its removal from the media just because I have issues with it. I see the tag and watch/read at my own risk. As for me "contradicting" myself, I have looked back on what I wrote, and never once have I mentioned that video games do not affect children at all; if you are referring to what I briefly talked about regarding "trauma," which is in reality irrelevant, then you should know the difference between that word (which is extreme) and what "alters a child's behavior." Again, there are many factors that contribute to shaping kids' personalities that blaming the entertainment (observe this word) industry as the most responsible is absurd, and note that I have listed only some of them.

About the crimes in the past being committed mostly by adults, that still holds true today, but in the past, adolescents (who are usually called kids) used to get married more, purposely have children of their own, and sometimes even lead armies. Actually, what the younger generation nowadays does and thinks of is an iota of the maturity and capability that the sons and daughters of the people of old upheld.

well.. this conversation is much better than before. there's no need to blow our top off just because someone's opinion gets into our nerves. you proved a very solid point there my friend. however we can't deny that there are still some possibilities that a show can affect a child. it's just like watching a horror movie. when a child have seen a horror movie, it's only normal for them to be scared and think that ghosts/monsters exists. another example of a show that can affect a person is porn/hentai (i know we're drifting away from the topic a little) in a way that it may turn a person lustful. so in my humble opinion, there are some shows that really has to be shown with less exaggeration and exposure.

some of those are proven, some are just opinion so i really hope we can understand and respect each other's way of thinking. thank's for the very interesting exchange of thoughts and cooling down your temper buddy. i'm looking forward to read your reply.
Den-kunSep 25, 2011 8:18 PM
Sep 25, 2011 11:09 PM

May 2011
Denniz said:
well.. this conversation is much better than before. there's no need to blow our top off just because someone's opinion gets into our nerves. you proved a very solid point there my friend. however we can't deny that there are still some possibilities that a show can affect a child. it's just like watching a horror movie. when a child have seen a horror movie, it's only normal for them to be scared and think that ghosts/monsters exists. another example of a show that can affect a person is porn/hentai (i know we're drifting away from the topic a little) in a way that it may turn a person lustful. so in my humble opinion, there are some shows that really has to be shown with less exaggeration and exposure.

some of those are proven, some are just opinion so i really hope we can understand and respect each other's way of thinking. thank's for the very interesting exchange of thoughts and cooling down your temper buddy. i'm looking forward to read your reply.
No problem. I just thought a "change of color" would be nice. The last people I argued with were not as respectful or reasonable as you are, so I was kind of edgy, I guess.

You made a good point regarding horror movies scaring children, though they normally grow out of it, but I don't know about porn, since kids usually think it is disgusting. Again, like I said, I agree that television does affect them to some extent. Still, all of this warrants limiting access to minors, as the law already stands, but we shouldn't take away adults' joy just because of "possible" effects in case under-age individuals view these things. Use parental control. Block channels, if you want. Can you imagine what it would be like if all mature products were taken off the shelves? What's the difference between killing off ten or one hundred people in a show? Screw one, screw them all. There is no need to be over-protective. This is a tough world that those little boys and girls will have to deal with some day, and the sooner they learn about it, the better prepared they will be. Plus, they will always find a way to peek at what the grown-ups are doing.

However, even in 18+ media, censorship still exists. Take Scream for example. The first part of the motion picture was edited more than eight times before it was approved for broadcasting. The sequels had to have a setting somewhere off schoolgrounds. Artists are actually already restricted.

Oh, well, at the end of the day, realistically speaking, it's not like we can change anything or pass a bill, anyway, as neither of us is a politician nor a lawmaker. Every country will always have its own rules. Debating will only lead to nowhere.
Sep 25, 2011 11:32 PM

Apr 2009
Denniz said:

There are tons of stuff capable of affecting someone's mind out there. Potentially any info can. Evening news about suicide bomber killing some folks in Iraq once again, Abu Ghraib like shit or Anders Behring Breivik madness. A school history lesson about WW2 genocide. Does it mean we should ban news and history because it may hurt someone's feelings? Hells no! I know a lot of dirt is made in the name of children. Politics in Uganda are trying to adopt a law to go with a death penalty for being gay in Uganda. For children's sake. You know, those gays are everywhere making it looks like it's ok to join their ranks, children are watching. Lets ban 'en quickly! Check up Rachel Maddow's interview with David Bahati. Porn is another alike issue. I'm sorry, I don't want to sound aggressive, but "in a way that it may turn a person lustful" - that's bullshit. Those arguments are just infuriating for me. James Bond movies "may turn a person lustful" if you will. It's ok to blame almost every film as long as your sentence includes a magic word "may" in italics. You know what may turn a person lustful? Prude parents/whoever restricting everything at least a little sexual from you. Forbidden fruit is always tempting. Do you remember that Vatican sex scandal when priests were abusing children? What was the reason? Well, except for them being complete jerks. Celibate it was. Also I suggest you to check a pornography laws map, green for legal, yellow for legal with some restrictions, red for illegal. Look at the red countries, is it a coincidence those are mostly some damn totalitarian or/and zealot religious ones? China, North Korea, Cuba, Libya, Egypt, Belarus, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman etc. Green countries are also for some reason those democratic ones: 90% of Europe, USA, Canada etc. There is a reason for it.
As for me, I damn like Hellsing Ultimate/Rambo 4 stile violence in fiction. Franken Fran was a borderline stuff and I end up dropping it, but, I should tell, I did it for a plot reason, not for the gore. I know there is some overdone violence shit I won't even touch with a 10-foot pole, but that is not a reason to ban something, because banning a freedom of expression was, is and always will be a step towards totalitarianism. Free market will regulate thing out anyway, if something is too extream and disgusting, it won't be popular, will get a low score on MAL/IMDB/etc. hence will die away or go into a limited reservation naturally.
Also you can't keep children in a shell forever, that is harmful for them. Life is tough. And here is some good old Carlin for you.
KlimatSep 25, 2011 11:58 PM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Animes you wish had dubs?

Mattenan - 12 hours ago

17 by DreamingBeats »»
11 minutes ago

» I don't understand why shoujo is so much more shunned than all other demographics. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fario-P - Apr 27, 2023

313 by SgtBateMan »»
18 minutes ago

» why are women being so unseen as audience ? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ame - Oct 13

243 by AppleIceCream »»
22 minutes ago

» anime sites with closed captions for dub?

Demeter-san - 35 minutes ago

0 by Demeter-san »»
35 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9464 by anime-prime »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.