Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Genshiken
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 12, 2007 9:31 PM
Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a funny episode! Ohno talking in Engrish just made me LOL. 2 more episodes >.<
Dec 12, 2007 10:24 PM

May 2007
Well good luck making this episode work in English Media Blasters.
Wow Sailor Moon reference as Sailor Moon, I love this show.
Sasa X Ogi will happen, hooray.
My anime list
Dec 13, 2007 12:46 AM

Jan 2007
Both of foreigners were great. Hilarious stuff.
Dec 13, 2007 1:36 AM
May 2007
Well that was a very hard episode to watch. That little one was extremely scary. ;_;
Dec 13, 2007 2:19 AM

Nov 2007
Yes! Finally! Suzie! I can't believe that's Yuko Goto. Sounds nothing like her.

Soooo much engrish. I think Saki actually spoke better english than the Americans :P

Only two more episodes? There's no way they fit the rest of the manga in that time. I suppose next episode will be the Comifes and episode 12 will be the trip?
Dec 13, 2007 3:31 AM

Aug 2007
holy crap................... O.o

never in my life have i seen an anime do this kinda thing to THIS extent.

the blond chick spoke pretty good engrish, but when saki and ohno started speaking, it turned ug.... i mean funny...

it scares me man... i have a feeling that, thats exactly how an american person (thats obsessed with anime), would act if they went to japan... its plain embarrassing. >_>
Dec 13, 2007 3:48 AM

Aug 2007
Hilarious is the word. I hope american Otakus (female) are not like that.
Dec 13, 2007 3:49 AM

Dec 2007
Engrish + Anime = Comedic Win
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Dec 13, 2007 3:52 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lmao, that was hilarious. Suzy seems fun! :D

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 13, 2007 6:16 AM
Oct 2007
That was awseome. Madamare couldn't handle Angela. I think he likes the american loli more then the american hottie :D. Doesn't it speak volumes about Japanese Otaku compared to the average american otaku. Even Saki, the non Otaku got the Doreaman reference, and a majority of american fans (myself included) had to be going ok, I guess thats funny if you have seen Doreaman.
Dec 13, 2007 6:42 AM

Dec 2007
A really funny episode =)
Dec 13, 2007 6:47 AM

Sep 2007
hmmm really only 2 more to go???
i hope we didnt have to wait so long again for a 3rd season.
i dont really believe that the ogiue arc will end in this season.
Dec 13, 2007 7:28 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
zeroryoko1974 said:
That was awseome. Madamare couldn't handle Angela. I think he likes the american loli more then the american hottie :D. Doesn't it speak volumes about Japanese Otaku compared to the average american otaku. Even Saki, the non Otaku got the Doreaman reference, and a majority of american fans (myself included) had to be going ok, I guess thats funny if you have seen Doreaman.

*Madarame

*Doraemon

:)

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 13, 2007 7:56 AM

Mar 2007
Oh god that was hillarious XDDDD
Damnit, it's one of the best episodes this season
It was really funny hearing Saki and Ohno's English, and Angela speaking English was pretty funny too.

But yeah, it really makes me think what happens when a foreign otaku (not necessarily American) comes to Japan... This seems so embarrassing XD

Anyway, am I the only one who gets a feeling were gonna have Angela x Madarame pretty soon?
Dec 13, 2007 9:17 AM
Oct 2007
Great ep, I really was looking forward to some foreign otakus :> after seeing this I'm afraid the reall true otakus live only in japan :p

I wonder why almost only girls where talking in english (Sorry, Madarame didn't say much ;D)

Suzy aka teenage angst ;d
Great apparence of Kuchiki ;DDD
Dec 13, 2007 9:34 AM
Oct 2007
The english part was very funny! Suzie ftw!
I would say it was a good episode if there wasn't that SO BORING part at the beginning...
Dec 13, 2007 10:07 AM

Nov 2007
bluethree said:
Yes! Finally! Suzie! I can't believe that's Yuko Goto. Sounds nothing like her.

Soooo much engrish. I think Saki actually spoke better english than the Americans :P

Only two more episodes? There's no way they fit the rest of the manga in that time. I suppose next episode will be the Comifes and episode 12 will be the trip?

Haha yeah, Saki's english seemed much better. Sue was pretty close to how I pictured her.

Also agreeing with the manga part, no way they can fit anything close to what is left, with the rate that they are going (seems to be ~3 volumes to a season), there is probably enough left for another season depending on how they finish off. Though from the preview of next episode maybe they are mixing some of the stories together.
Dec 13, 2007 10:20 AM

Nov 2007
I like this ep :D It was frash it was fanny. I looking forward Comi-Fes :D
Dec 13, 2007 1:52 PM
Aug 2007
it was kinda weird how they were english and they sounded a bit retarded, but who cares it was a good episode, can't wait for the next ^_^
Dec 13, 2007 7:35 PM

Oct 2007
I'm glad that this episode brought us back to what made Genshiken great – the comedy! It was a certain welcome from the poignant and slightly melancholy atmosphere of the previous episode.

Angela and Suzie are a great welcome to the cast of characters – they are certainly unique! I'm glad that they are also not one episode guests and I look forward in seeing them in the next episode. I also liked seeing the cultural divided from what a Japanese person would think an American would view it from Angela's eyes – it was rather interesting.

I was slightly disappointed with Ohna's English – since she spent a lot of time in the States I thought her English would be better – well at least better than Saki's. What I found hilarious was the subbers even subbed the English parts of the episodes! Half-way through the episode, I was thinking, "Wait a tick, why are they subbing the English parts in English?" XD

All in all, it's a hilarious episode!

Yeah! My 100th post!
Dec 13, 2007 9:06 PM

Mar 2007
Such a great funny episode. I love Angela and the little American Loli. Madarame is just too amazing odd. He goes for the loli instead of Angela. I mean C'mon. Angela has those big ole Angelina Lips:p. This episode had me rolling. I am going to re-watch it. I can't wait till this gets released by MB here in America. I will be melting my copies fromw atching so much I think.

Gratz on the 100th post Taylor!:D
Dec 13, 2007 9:18 PM

Sep 2007
This is one of the few anime episodes that makes me want to see how the dub turns out... :D
Dec 13, 2007 11:21 PM

Jul 2006
Shiranai said:
This is one of the few anime episodes that makes me want to see how the dub turns out... :D

Haha, yeah. I wonder what they'll do with the american otakus. Make them swedish?

Great episode. The foreigners were bit scary, but guess that's how japanese see us. xP
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2007 12:35 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Apparently I'm one of the few that thought this episode wasn't all that funny. Way too stereotypical of Americans and it just didn't do it for me. Madamare was funny, but eh, I didn't really care.
Dec 14, 2007 2:28 AM

Nov 2007
Hamminaptu said:
Such a great funny episode. I love Angela and the little American Loli. Madarame is just too amazing odd. He goes for the loli instead of Angela.

Well, he did admit to having a "little sister" fetish in the first season... not to mention that Angela was a little TOO outgoing, especially for the Japanese who tend to keep things private.

Lotta things need to be squeezed in to fit in only 2 episodes.

fw said:
I wonder why almost only girls where talking in english (Sorry, Madarame didn't say much ;D)

Ohno obviously knows english because she lived in America for a bit. I forget why the manga said Saki knows english so well and I'm too lazy to look through and check. I think it had something to do with her parents' business or something? The rest of the characters just have basic knowledge of english words and phrases that they were taught in school... not well enough to hold a conversation.
bluethreeDec 14, 2007 2:32 AM
Dec 14, 2007 5:01 AM

Oct 2007
bluethree said:
fw said:
Ohno obviously knows english because she lived in America for a bit. I forget why the manga said Saki knows english so well and I'm too lazy to look through and check. I think it had something to do with her parents' business or something? The rest of the characters just have basic knowledge of english words and phrases that they were taught in school... not well enough to hold a conversation.
If memory serves, and it rarely or correctly does, Saki wanted to learn English, because she always wanted to open a (clothing) shop and in order to do so, it was a necessity to learn the language. I reckon they should have addressed that in the anime, so it wouldn't seem so "out of the blue" for those who didn't read the manga.

Hamminaptu said:
Gratz on the 100th post Taylor!:D
Thanks! Never knew I had that much to say! XD
Dec 14, 2007 6:41 AM
Nov 2007
At Otakon 2006, Kawasumi Ayako mentioned how she can't really speak English.

This was probably some real considerable effort on her part to play Ohno this episode.

Oh, and the cat mouth girl finally gets a name: Asada.
Dec 14, 2007 1:45 PM

Nov 2007
Oh my god, I almost died laughing when al those questionmarks appeared above madarame's head X'D And the Engrish was awesome! (Too bad there's only 2 episodes left. )I'd say this episode scores: 5 out of 5! =D
Dec 14, 2007 4:39 PM

Nov 2007
OH man this is why i Love DUBS when its done properly it SOOOO funny

CLASSIC EP

nuff said
Dec 14, 2007 7:58 PM

Nov 2007
Xinil said:
Apparently I'm one of the few that thought this episode wasn't all that funny. Way too stereotypical of Americans and it just didn't do it for me. Madamare was funny, but eh, I didn't really care.

Yeah, I agree with you there. Though I thought Suzie was cute.
Dec 14, 2007 8:20 PM

Nov 2007
Great episode! Loved the Ogi x Sasa moments, and was amazed to see some Mada x Angela subtext. Still haven't read the final manga volume yet but I saw some "hints" toward that end here. ("Your fingers are perfect... So thin and long." XD) And Ohno has set the stage for the next episode. Can't wait to see how it turns out here.

I'm hoping the Pretty Menma bonuses will only be included with the first two boxsets, so there's room for a bonus Genshiken OVA (episode 28?) to finish out the series. I can't see the series ending in two more episodes but there's not enough story left for another season. Well, I guess if the director decides to do a Menma anime, we might see 3 more OVAs. Who knows?

EDIT: And after looking through the previous threads again, it would seem this has been speculated already. Oh well.
KawadaDec 14, 2007 8:40 PM

Dec 15, 2007 4:43 AM

Nov 2007
Really hilarious episode. Engrish is its own artform of humour!
Dec 15, 2007 10:39 AM

Mar 2007
Not as good as the previous episode, but still ok,, oh god that was bad american/english/what ever they spoke =)
Dec 15, 2007 12:42 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I dunno how you guys can expect perfect English from people who usually utter so extremely different 'words' and sounds comparing the languages. I mean, did your common sense get lost along the way? ^_^

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 16, 2007 3:35 AM

Nov 2007
cyruz said:
I dunno how you guys can expect perfect English from people who usually utter so extremely different 'words' and sounds comparing the languages. I mean, did your common sense get lost along the way? ^_^

I fully expected imperfection. It doesn't make it any less funny sounding.
Dec 16, 2007 8:05 AM
Oct 2007
HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHH
AHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHhHHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA
Dec 16, 2007 12:02 PM

Dec 2007
Hahhahhahaha! Almost died laughing. Wow this was one of the best episodes or maybe even the best episode of S2. The english was hilarious, and Madarame's reactions were great. When Suzy said "welcome my master" and all the people were shocked it was funny. Oh man, looks like next episode is going to be great too!
Dec 16, 2007 6:52 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Yeah, just volume 7 is enough material for the remaining two episodes. They could make another OVA probably? This series should be a bit longer......
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 16, 2007 11:24 PM

Sep 2007
This episode literally made me laugh my arse off.
Not to mention the laughable Engrish, but the little foreigner was full of lulz by pulling lines from Keroro Gunso and such. xD

Damnit! Don't die without my permission!
Dec 20, 2007 3:42 PM

May 2007
this episode was really akward...i was just sitting there thinking "oh god" everytime they spoke in english. the episode was still enjoyable though
Dec 28, 2007 7:44 AM
Nov 2007
I must be a dumbass but why did they not get native english speakers to do the parts of Angela and Suzie? I think it would have been a lot better to see all the Japanese characters struggle with Engrish rather than the so-called "english speakers" themselves.
Dec 28, 2007 9:09 PM

Jul 2007
The scene's between Madarame and Angela were really awkward and drawn out. While the English spoken by the seiyuus was fine and all the actual dialog did not correctly capture the mannerisms of real English speakers. The words themselves were very much Japanese bablefished into English with all the glaringly embarrassing grammatical errors removed. I know the creators were trying to aim for some authenticity with this episode and they probably put a lot of work to put so much English dialog into this episode and kudos to the seiyuus because their spoken English was understandable and impressive but they didn't quite nail it.
Jan 15, 2008 7:24 AM

Oct 2007
Is it just me or did Angela sound like a deaf person?
Jan 18, 2008 3:54 PM

May 2007
WAPANESE AND ENGRISH IN MA GENSHIKEN
WAT
Jan 21, 2008 8:43 AM

Jul 2007
Lelangir said:
I must be a dumbass but why did they not get native english speakers to do the parts of Angela and Suzie? I think it would have been a lot better to see all the Japanese characters struggle with Engrish rather than the so-called "english speakers" themselves.

amerian people do not exist in japan

jk
but it would have been hard to find 3 people who can fluently in both english and japanese as well as ACT. because there are some people who can speak both, but are terriable and i mean TERRIABLE voice actors.

angela and suzy speak better engrish than most engrish attempters.
great episode. i couldn't understand a word ohno was saying when she started speaking engrish

Jan 29, 2008 9:08 AM

Nov 2007
Wow pretty funny episode. I wonder if that's how Japanese people actually view American otaku as.

Anyway, Ayako Kawasumi's engrish was absolutely horrible. xDD Satsuki Yukino's wasn't half bad though, I have to say.
Mar 7, 2008 5:18 AM

Nov 2007
LOLz this was a frickin Engrish episode.

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
Mar 31, 2008 3:02 PM
Mar 2008
I didn't really like this episode at all. I like the comedy of Genshiken quite a bit but the whole foreign otaku thing just seemed forced. I'm sure if I was Japanese and rarely heard English being spoken then I would have been able to "get it", but the engrish just seemed out of character. I agree with the previous poster who said if the foreign otaku could actually speak real english and act like real Americans, the the episode would have worked much better.

That being said it did make me reflect a lot on all of the aspects of Japanese culture I must be missing out on in the anime I watch because of my own lack of knowledge.
Mar 31, 2008 3:56 PM

Feb 2008
It was a little tough to get through this episode, but I was more intrigued than put off by the characters' attempts at English. The actress who played Angela actually had really good pronunciation and was completely understandable. The only problem was that she was supposed to sound American and that was an impossible task for her.

I agree with Lelangir that they probably could have found an American actress - but I think only one was necessary. No one would expect Ohno or Saki to have good English or American accents, and Suzy barely had any lines in English, so just getting an American actress for Angela would have been a good idea if possible.
Jul 12, 2008 10:06 PM

Mar 2007
Well its sorta obvious how the final episodes gonna end up being :(

More sad/serious moments then funny moments in this episode... overall it was good.
Oh well that american girl was just awesome too ^_^ And the that one girl spoke REALLY good engrish. And madarame is a lolicon :( thats a shame...
I love the lost in translation parts tho :)

How can you hate on nympho Angela :) She sounded convincing and im guessing Sue is the same age as Angela. Of course they nail the English accent nearly right, but they butcher the poor girls face :( '

L's will still sound like R's ^_^

...and im noticing how people cant understand how hardcore Japanese people are when it comes to sticking with the "Japanese way" of doing things. No matter how out of place a Japanese person is trying to imitate western style they'll always pick a Japanese product/person over a western product/person.

Japanese way or no way
RanivusJul 12, 2008 10:11 PM

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Genshiken 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Dec 5, 2007

65 by asbest0sdust »»
May 28, 9:57 AM

Poll: » Genshiken 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tenshin - Oct 24, 2007

63 by Acctra »»
May 24, 5:41 PM

Poll: » Genshiken 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

radiantfire - Dec 25, 2007

94 by Euroqean »»
Nov 7, 2023 3:45 PM

Poll: » Genshiken 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Tenshin - Nov 1, 2007

87 by Euroqean »»
Nov 1, 2023 8:22 PM

Poll: » Genshiken 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Nov 28, 2007

60 by Adriannitro »»
Jul 6, 2023 11:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.