Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2009 8:41 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I found this episode to be very clever and highly intriguing. I was engaged by the dissemination of the word, and the tracing of the history. It actually made me think, and figure out how everything fits together in this show, and I actually have a better understanding of the connectedness. Do I know where this is going? No. But for once, I feel like I know what is going on.
Jan 10, 2009 9:49 PM

Dec 2007
I was happy to see the table conversation end.

That's about it. I'm not one for sheep coming from jars that were buried in the ground myself.

Anyway, hopefully they get back to the main story, that of the two girls. Particularly, I'd like to know of what happened to the girl who escaped from the 'hospital'.
Jan 11, 2009 4:05 AM
Dec 2007
I still don't fully understand what's happening exactly, but for sure, this series is as perfectly directed as it is intriguing. I just love the atmosphere and the dialogues, so it's all good.

Megiddo said:
Anyway, hopefully they get back to the main story, that of the two girls. Particularly, I'd like to know of what happened to the girl who escaped from the 'hospital'.

This is not exactly the "main story" of Mouryou no Hako, the main story is composed by all the element parts and subplots surrounding the case of young girls' heads put into boxes, with the romantic part with the girls being only one of them.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 11, 2009 9:05 AM

Dec 2007
Well, that's fine then. Then I expect to see some sort of resolution with this medium who seems to be behind the dismemberment cases. It also seemed to be the "main story" since... well, the first 4 or 5 episodes directly followed those characters. It also was a story, an interesting one. Not just 3 guys sitting around a table talking about the differences between priests, mediums, etc. or talking about sheep coming from jars (WTF?).

Personally, I can't understand what you mean about being "perfectly directed". Is it that hard to spend two full episodes with three guys discussing random things that have some sort of small connection to do with a plot?
Jan 11, 2009 10:00 AM

Aug 2008
I don't think it's a small connection at all. It's the whole of the exposition and set up. Before the past two episode, we weren't given a context within anything. We couldn't trust any single character, and we knew next to nothing regarding what actually happened. Since then, we're give info about Mouryou (It is in the name of the title) and Hako. They explained "hako" in the last episode, which was weird for me, but it does profile the murderer. In the explaination of "mouryou" we learn more about this cult which it seems that Yoriko's mother was apart of (remember her bringing in the priest guy to bless the room?). And we are given, through the explaination of mouryou, and the warning from the talkative guy, that the big black box hospital is not a safe/straightforward place. That's a hell of a lot.
Jan 12, 2009 5:54 AM

Jul 2007
More boring crap.

What happened to the first yuri episodes?

Jan 13, 2009 7:00 AM

Mar 2008
Kotori said:
More boring crap.

What happened to the first yuri episodes?

How shallow of you.

I thought that this was quite an intelligent episode.
Jan 31, 2009 9:47 PM

Nov 2007
masterpiece cannot begin to describe what I feel for this series. it's like 20/10. it's perfection. during the table part i did not understand a thing. i hardly understand anything at this point actually. i'm not experienced in mysteries nor Japanese literature but just looking and listening is enough stimulation for me. every image every sound. i'm in love as you can tell. understanding bring the end to infatuation so i'm not the least bit unsatisfied with what i don't know.
Feb 3, 2009 1:40 PM

Jun 2008
God. Some of you people are so shallow it's just sad. Those of you like Kotori should just go and watch yuri if that's what you're looking for. Instead of watching an intelligent anime that you can't grasp and thus give it a 3/10.

I loved this episode and all the background information and explanation we are getting. The atmosphere is unbelievable; i almost felt like i was sitting there and being a part of discussion. I love everything about this anime, it's just beautiful, i could watch this forever.
Feb 3, 2009 4:01 PM

Jul 2007
Had it started just like the current episodes, it would be different, but the first ep was completely something else so I expected the same content to follow in later episodes.
Feb 3, 2009 10:40 PM

Jun 2008
lol what same content? you expected the two girls to dance around and give off yuri vibes for 13 episodes? have you read the synopsis at all before you started watching it?
Feb 19, 2009 8:36 PM

Jun 2007
umm it sounds like the guy that has issues with things not bing filled in is the killer. He goes around killing young girls, putting their heads in boxes and placing the boxes in places that need filling. The whole discussion was a bit hard to follow but from what I grasped it sounds like Mouryou where, or are, the gods that encircle a hole (ie. the margins around a well, a smoke stack, anything with a hole basically). The killer, that guy, is probably now the priest they where talking about. The offerings may actually be people giving up their daughters to please him. This was common with familys in debt because of gambling in the old days so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar case for these religious people.
Apr 11, 2010 8:20 AM
Mar 2010
Interesting episode. Maybe it adds chaos to whole story with many clues and leads that may mount to nothing. I loved that linguistical/historical explanation part.
Jun 24, 2010 8:05 PM
May 2008
Watching this series with shitty subs is quite a difficult task...

Anyway, this episode was the best in recent episodes providing some insight as to wtf is going on.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Aug 31, 2010 12:42 PM

Jul 2009
I quite like this "priest" Toriguchi and Sekiguchi have been speaking to; he seems to be much more of a scholar than a "magician."

Mouryo = corpse-eating demons? Ties back into Kanako's body disappearing...

I think that at least two men are involved with the girls' murders and dismemberment... One must be a doctor; the Frankensteiner discussed who attempted to create "an immortal soldier" and now is putting together girls' limbs. The other appears to be the man obsessed with boxes and filling spaces (the butcher... who wears white gloves and a black suit?).

And all of the girls have been daughters of followers of the prophet. Could Yuriko-chan be the next target? Her mother asked Onbako-sama to exorcise her home.

The novelist that Sekiguchi was asked to review is a follower of the "false prophet," Onbako-sama. Hmmmm!
Jan 16, 2011 1:16 PM

Oct 2008
A bit confusing since a lot of this seemed to be about the history of certain superstitions, it was interesting but hard to follow and I still didn't understand why the Mouryo are related to the killings, and how the heads kind of stay alive I guess (kind of like the head in the box in the beginning). I mean I could guess that the box guy is doing this out of eccentrics but I guess I just don't understand what the demons have to do with this? Are they supposedly feeding the limbs to them or maybe it's just to make the followers believe in these demons.

I know that the priests numbers have increased (as well as donations) because the followers children have been targeted to do so. I guess I'm not sure if there is suppose to be a little magic (that head in the box at the start, and maybe like Kanako's disappearance) in this show or if it's all explainable as the exorcist was talking about in the beginning of episode 6.

Great episode but a little hard to follow, probably will have to re-watch this after I finish the series to know what is going on.
Mar 28, 2012 12:24 PM

Oct 2009
I have almost no idea what's going on at this point, but it's still somewhat intriguing. Sekiguchi is interesting. I like characters like his. The show does atmosphere really well too. Hopefully I can pick up on exactly what's going on eventually
May 24, 2013 4:30 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Again a bit too verbose for my taste, but we get a better feel for the spiritual motivations behind the murders as opposed to a simple "psychopath" on the loose argument.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 31, 2013 9:13 AM
Aug 2011
Mostly boring shit again.

I can't even come in here and pretending that I liked this or that any of this was interesting.
Jan 17, 2015 8:07 AM

Oct 2014
parfaited said:
Mostly boring shit again.

I can't even come in here and pretending that I liked this or that any of this was interesting.

This
Aug 12, 2023 11:14 AM

Nov 2010
That stuff about Souji is interesting. Freeing oneself from the world is easier said than done, however. I would shoot myself in the head right about now if I could. Maybe someday, under the right circumstances, I'll finally be able to free myself.

Lots of info dump about the origins and forms of Mouryou, and there is a high chance they are not dealing with a typical demon.

Finally, some interesting bits about Onbako being the serial killer, and he's possibly related to the abduction. Is he in cahoots with that mysterious guy that looks like Black Butler? Also, he's the first guy in this show to mention the Mouryou. I'm curious if they are actually dealing with the supernatural.
May 12, 3:17 AM

Aug 2019
Holy that was a lot of info once again.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 12 Discussion

Mikiyo - Jul 30, 2009

18 by Sun_Chan »»
May 12, 11:25 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 9 Discussion

hikky - Dec 24, 2008

19 by Sun_Chan »»
May 12, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 8 Discussion

noteDhero - Jan 26, 2009

25 by Sun_Chan »»
May 12, 3:36 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 6 Discussion

angel999 - Nov 11, 2008

36 by Sun_Chan »»
May 12, 3:02 AM

Poll: » Mouryou no Hako Episode 5 Discussion

angel999 - Nov 4, 2008

30 by Sun_Chan »»
May 12, 2:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.