Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2008 12:42 PM

Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Basically, the entire episode was about Joseph's past. How did Gonzo manage to ruin the cool character, Joseph, so easily? I mean, this ep. was lamer than a Shinshi Doumei Cross chapter! And he hasn't exactly done anything good lately.

Next episode seems to be a flashback, too. Oh, how I hate flashbacks..
Jul 5, 2008 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
it wasnt really that bad, honestly. it was interesting to noe him that much >///<
come to think of it... he was likely in the same situation as malek, no? but he's cooler.. thats a fact! i jst dont like his hair... and xargin was a goddamn doc(?) for god's sake!!!!
Jul 5, 2008 8:33 PM

Mar 2008
well the episode was okaty, kinda sucks they split up the flashback episodes, though they would finish after this and pick up the normal story next episode

nevertheless its good to get some background on all of this and good to see some of joseph's story

MAL list updates
Jul 5, 2008 11:49 PM

Jun 2007
HannahKri said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Basically, the entire episode was about Joseph's past. How did Gonzo manage to ruin the cool character, Joseph, so easily? I mean, this ep. was lamer than a Shinshi Doumei Cross chapter! And he hasn't exactly done anything good lately.

Yeah, the flashback was ok. Good to know how him and Xargin came to this. But it was too depressing for me to like it. Would rather they get back to the present.
Jul 6, 2008 1:51 AM
Apr 2008
Shurtugal said:
HannahKri said:

Yeah, the flashback was ok. Good to know how him and Xargin came to this. But it was too depressing for me to like it. Would rather they get back to the present.

Agree.
Jul 10, 2008 12:00 PM

Jun 2007
I was depressed for 3 days with the past episode... now this episode has given me enough to be depressed for a full week. =__= The new ending sequence reminded me why I got depressed last week too. >__>
*siiiiiiiigh*

Jul 15, 2008 5:33 PM
Apr 2008
this anime is too sad and this flashbach(even though i hate them)did nothing more than prove what i just said. i think if we have the fortitude to sit through the flashbacks the series will pick up again.
Jul 17, 2008 6:43 PM

Sep 2007
lol stupid police... come one come all and look at the amazing boy strong enough to lift a cart all by himself! Please any idiot with half a brain would know he didn't do it not to mention what the vender will say when he gets out of the hospital.
So in short that little bit of story pissed me off more then made me feel sorry for him.

But overall, a decent flashback and his selflessness was touching if not pathetic. I have too much pride to do the same in his situation... then again I might lie like him but then get back at the boy and his friends later... yeah I like that idea.
Jul 28, 2008 9:04 AM

Feb 2008
Same here. I am a selfish man full of pride, I would have told the truth and made sure the 3 snob rich boys pay for what they did. No matter what.
Jul 28, 2008 9:26 AM

Jul 2008
i'm glad joseph didnt kill those kids tho he woulda been the same thing he despised (kinda like malek's case) but i woulda exposed those kids for what they did AND WHY?! didnt franz tell his side of the story? it've been nice if joseph had scared the shit outta those kids...but maybe they were killed by the flood *devil smile*
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kaiokenx3&sclick=1]
Dec 28, 2008 9:40 PM

Jul 2008
Wait was that Renton's seiyū or am I imagining things?

I actually enjoy flashbacks, I find them really interesting. Though it's kind of weird knowing Joseph will no longer be so ~mysterious~ and such.

BEGINNER
Aug 9, 2009 4:17 AM

Aug 2008
I'm usually no fan of flashback episodes but this was a really good one in my opinion. You see how the young Joseph thinks along the same tracks as Malek, but he got his prayers heard.
With Joseph as his mentor, Malek will do fine.
Aug 12, 2009 5:29 PM

Mar 2009
sometimes flashbacks are good, the only bad flashback in animes is when they keep repeating it over and over again

this type of sad flashback really fits the story's dramatic side, its not all guns and explotions
Feb 4, 2010 6:59 PM

Nov 2008
Such a touching episode. Here we know how hard is life for the immigrants and why Joseph has those strong principles.
Feb 7, 2010 1:46 PM

May 2009
adamantine said:
Wait was that Renton's seiyū or am I imagining things?

I actually enjoy flashbacks, I find them really interesting. Though it's kind of weird knowing Joseph will no longer be so ~mysterious~ and such.

the story needs to develop.

he wasnt mysterious from time ago, from the nightmares you get to know already that he was a orphan and that him and x what ever his name is , was buddies, from the way those spoke to each other in the anime.

so really hes only mysterious if ur a blind person, but i would say the mystery is not him but the whole true enemy and orgins of the nano virus, which has to be told at some point.
i created a club that is building up a emotional "feels" anime collections
so if anyone wants to join it and get emotional together please come and join us <3
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18987
Click for link^
Aug 20, 2010 12:06 PM
Apr 2010
Rough life...compared to this malek had it easy..lol
Sent with Mal Updater
Oct 10, 2010 5:03 PM

Mar 2010
Yup Josephs Past was Bad ass

Man the shit he had to endure

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 13, 2010 8:06 PM

Mar 2009
This made me feel anger and sadness at the same time...at a high level.
When he was with the rich kids I was like "KILL EM JOSEPH!" But that didn't happen. DAMN.
That flashback was no-questions-asked depressing.
Jan 24, 2011 4:51 PM

Dec 2008
Akateito said:
When he was with the rich kids I was like "KILL EM JOSEPH!" But that didn't happen. DAMN.

^ +1
Dec 7, 2011 8:43 AM

Aug 2007
People don't normally enjoy flashbacks because most of the time they're not done well, but in my opinion this episode was outstanding. It really fleshed Joseph out and gave some much-needed insight into his relationship with Xargin. It also explains why Joseph is so sensitive to Malek's situation.

Akateito said:

I agree, invoked a lot of emotions in me too.
Apr 20, 2013 11:16 PM

Feb 2009
I'm surprised he didn't join the mastermind behind the amalgam, because I would after a life like that.
Jun 28, 2013 10:06 AM

May 2012
What kind of series am I watching now... dafuq really such a different setting even for a flashback...
Jan 18, 2014 6:46 AM

Aug 2013
Apparently no mater what era you lived in, kids in Germany were mean as hell, beating the crap out of anyone who was different.

How are they all getting away with murder?
My Candies:
Aug 24, 2014 9:29 PM

Aug 2013
How can I like and hate the characters in this anime so much ?
It's not fun to suddenly have loads of flashback.. it's so depressing.
Dec 26, 2014 9:14 AM

Jul 2014
well those flashbacks are depressing thou....damn those spoiled rich kids. I want them to be killed already :p
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Jan 7, 2016 11:21 AM

Feb 2015
yariru said:

Very depressing episode.
Sep 17, 2020 5:57 AM

Sep 2019
This is the shittiest flash back I've seen in a while. Feeling bad for him! fss, I'm a prideful man I would've told the truth. And also how stupid those police can be? How can a starving kid lift a cart?

That's why I can't relate to this, I'm not sad for him I'm just pissed

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blassreiter Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kuemauricebackup - Sep 27, 2008

81 by ilNico »»
Jul 31, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Blassreiter Episode 5 Discussion

Monkey_D_Luffy - May 3, 2008

26 by skr_123 »»
Dec 19, 2022 9:21 AM

» Any differences between the Light novel and the anime?

kuik - Feb 15, 2022

0 by kuik »»
Feb 15, 2022 4:36 PM

» Blu-Ray?

TheCrunchyUser - May 10, 2020

0 by TheCrunchyUser »»
May 10, 2020 4:47 AM

Poll: » Blassreiter Episode 19 Discussion

Kuemauricebackup - Aug 16, 2008

23 by HHHHRRRRNNNGGG »»
Nov 23, 2019 9:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.