Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2011 12:21 PM
Oct 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was very excited about finally getting another shot at Watching a good Armored Trooper. This one just shattered every bit of that excitement.

Maybe my memory is a little hazy but last time I checked Votoms tried to be as close to the realism in terms of operating a Robot as one could be in an Anime.
I still remember Chirico struggling in many cases just to get out alive from battle with Canon fodder troops and here I see Gungho protagonist going Rambo while doing Kung-fu.

Maybe it has been a long time since I re-watched the series but I really hope this trend does not continue
Mar 10, 2011 9:08 AM

Mar 2009
As a Frenchman, I didn't get the chance to see the original series, but this OAV had me really interrested.

Realy loved the action, quite realistic mechas and very good chara design (the oujo~sama is a delight to see).
Mar 31, 2011 3:49 PM

Apr 2007
I never saw the original Armored Trooper anime, so I had no idea about anything going into this, just that it had mecha. I must say that I was really surprised; I absolutely loved this OVA. It wasn't anything super new in terms of things already done, but I absolutely loved the story and the characters and their struggles. I really really loved it, I hope the other two OVAs are the same level of quality, but they might be pretty different since it'll be new character designers and directors for each episode. So we'll see.
Dec 1, 2011 7:10 PM

Jun 2010
VOTOMS stopped making sense late in the original TV series and 30 years of OVAs haven't recovered from it but it was never trite and simplistic until now. It was like a kids' robot series, and not one that's trying very hard. Not only the plotting but even specific shots feel recycled.

It's a slight shame as it gets a little more interesting in its final minutes; that Irvine's trauma wasn't that he had killed people at alll (the typical standardized pacifist anime plot) but that he had killed everyone around him indiscriminately elevates this plot a little and it's interesting to see the villain maintain his principles until the very end, even when they mean he must insist his own killer survive. That it has such an open ending with the hero in tears means it just scratches the surface of a good story about war and what it does, emotionally, to those who are part of it. It's much too weighed down by lazy writing to actually succeed, though.
FronzelDec 2, 2011 1:59 PM
Sep 14, 2013 6:06 AM

Jan 2008
Quite good with some cool moves (fight scenes) and nice character designs. Irvine is handsome. ^^ Excuse me for bit here. KYAAAAA! Hahaha. Only complain is it's so short.
Jan 1, 2015 5:18 PM

Nov 2011
dont know why this was rated so low, ova was awesome
Hate Keeps me warm
May 15, 2015 3:26 PM

Jul 2010
Irvine was interesting as a protagonist, wish it was longer.
Mar 25, 2016 3:54 AM
Jul 2011
This was exactly like Code Geass.
And I really HATE Code Geass.

Yes, Votoms is dumb, but I like it's stoic dumbness.
This thing here is all the wrong kind of moe and emo for the franchise.
Apr 30, 2016 1:21 PM

Feb 2013
Stupid Char's mask, protect imouto BS, big boobed ojou-sama,Lelouch's VA, colorful ATs, stupid hairstyles.

Have I mentioned colorful ATs? ugh...
They look like toys, not like military weapons.Their pride was stripped away to nothing.

This only feels like a VOTOMS anime during the war's flashback and that's about it.

WTF Sunrise was trying to do?
They thought this would attract a new audience, but failed miserably.It only pissed off the original fans lol.
Sep 10, 2019 2:59 PM

Jun 2014
This was interesting, but was nowhere near long enough to flesh out any of the characters.

It wasn't horrible, but is nowhere near as good as the original Votoms. Even every other Votoms OVA with Chirico was miles better.

Jan 1, 2020 11:45 AM

Aug 2015
With only 45 min, it was difficult for me to feel involved but I loved Ishruna's hairstyle change. Long live twintails! <3
May 12, 2022 12:50 AM

May 2017
This is disappointing to me, I actually feel like this could've been interesting and I imagine the original pitch was not a 1 episode OVA but an alternate timeline like Gundam Wing or 00 for instance. It makes the most sense to me as it doesn't at all feel like the original Votoms, though nevertheless retains the mecha aesthetic and a similar setting. Votoms seems effectively dead and this OVA could've been a chance at keeping it alive if it was 12-24 episodes instead. Didn't give a shit about the characters but there were a few times where I really wanted to.

More topics from this board

» Anyone know if any groups plan to sub this OVA?

Sephor - Nov 10, 2010

4 by pickypicnic »»
Mar 2, 2011 1:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.