Forum Settings
Forums

Say, why don't many cable/satellite networks in the USA or Canada want to show anime content?

New
2 hours ago
Sep 2023
Is there any reason why a lot of cable/satellite networks in the United States or Canada don't want to show a lot of anime content? I wonder, is it too expensive or too damn hard to get the broadcasting rights to? Or maybe not TV broadcast worthy enough. That's one thing I have been wanting to post on this site along with Reddit. It's a been a mystery to me for years. Here in Canada, the list of anime content we have been getting for the past decade is rather slim. It seems like neither Bell Media or Corus Entertainment want to obtain some of this content. Post your theories here.

On another note, I would've liked to see Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean, Re: Zero, Danmachi, Chaika: The Coffin Princess and Bungo Stray Dogs show up on Toonami.
1 hour ago

Jul 2021
I'll be honest, Americans and Canadians simply don't deserve anime on TV.
1 hour ago

Mar 2008
Buying the airing rights is probably expensive. They are made to sign a non disclosure agreement so we dont know the cost
1 hour ago

Sep 2018
1. Most tv cable shows are for women
2. Most anime fans consume it via piracy
3. Cable has censorship laws that prevents many anime from airing
4. Most anime does not push the "the message"
1 hour ago

May 2019
2 words only
licensing and copyright
52 minutes ago

May 2018
Because TV stations don't want foreign media taking up their network. Anime as a whole is too niche to bring in desired ratings.
51 minutes ago

Apr 2024
In some of my childhood manga, there were ads in the back for the "anime network", so it's entirely possible that the broadcast rights had just... already been taken? By this random channel that was begging people to ask their TV providers to get onto their guides back in 2007 or so. Beyond that, it may not appeal to the target demographics of most channels. at least, the venn diagram of CSI Miami Watchers and most anime watchers is probably not too great of an overlap
"Dreams are worth fighting for"
Backloggery | YouTube | Heatmap
15 minutes ago
Jun 2021
Lol, you had it decent compared to some countries.
Television is dead, and if you care about the telly experience nyaa is your friend, save it on a HDD, and play it on your TV via the USB port. Or, better yet, make a Plex server.
Hot Blood saves lives.
12 minutes ago

May 2018
Reply to TheMechaManiac
Lol, you had it decent compared to some countries.
Television is dead, and if you care about the telly experience nyaa is your friend, save it on a HDD, and play it on your TV via the USB port. Or, better yet, make a Plex server.
TheMechaManiac said:
and if you care about the telly experience nyaa is your friend
Name dropping piracy sites in the forums is against the rules.

More topics from this board

» Why have you learned Japanese?

Zakatsuki_ - 2 hours ago

4 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
40 seconds ago

» People who have already taken an anime break , why?

Zakatsuki_ - Today

39 by BilboBaggins365 »»
6 minutes ago

» Serial Experiments Lain is better than your favorite anime ( 1 2 )

JoeChip - Yesterday

50 by Yaaceen »»
24 minutes ago

» Questions to fellow heterosexual men who watched Steins Gate

lostsymphonies - Aug 29

49 by epidemia78 »»
58 minutes ago

» Can anyone recommend some hentai please.

mintyfirework - Aug 28

14 by SemW0r1dXXX »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.