Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 26, 10:48 AM

Jul 2023
Am I the only one who feel intense nostalgia when I look at these old inactives profiles stuck in 2010's with dozens, if not hundreds of days of anime and manga and an equally high number of forum messages. I wonder what all these people have become. Are they living a more busy life? started a family? Probably. Some simply moved on to other hobbies. I hope they're happy wherever they are.
What about you? Do you believe you'll ever leave this website behind one day?
May 26, 11:07 AM

Sep 2016
zaako said:
Do you believe you'll ever leave this website behind one day?

Everyone will, without exception.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 26, 11:07 AM

Jul 2013
I will only stop using this website when NTHE finally arrives. It is that simple.
May 26, 11:12 AM

Jan 2024
I typed up a whole reply and it disappeared...TT
I'll definitely be here for a while though even if I don't interact in forums much

May 26, 11:17 AM

Feb 2020
Unless something happens to my almost 100% free time, I'll still be here.
But yeah, one does wonder about the circumstances of inactive users.
May 26, 2:26 PM

Jan 2009
most of them are busy in real life for sure since adult life

but some got perma banned
May 26, 3:27 PM

Sep 2014
i only feel that way for users i've interacted with in the past. honestly, good on them for moving on from here, there's many better things to do with our lives than waste away on a dying anime forum x)
May 26, 4:32 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
When I see an inactive user, I think ah, they must be inactive.
May 26, 5:02 PM

Jul 2016
Most of them probably just moved on.

And it's inevitable all of us will one day log into mal for the last time.
May 26, 6:18 PM

Aug 2012
Only feel nostalgic if I knew that person. I have no nostalgia for mal. I don't give a fuck about random who went inactive.

Only time I get nostalgic when I visit my home Town, play old game, look at my original YouTuber channel.
May 27, 12:45 AM

Nov 2023
Some of them def passed away i think which is sad to think about.

00cactus
May 27, 1:12 AM

Mar 2021
Many of them probably got too old for being on the Internet constantly. I hope that as I get older, I'll still visit MAL every now and then.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

May 27, 12:49 PM

Jul 2010
I'm one of those from the distant past, but I'm still not leaving. lol My friends list is full of them, maybe their stats are not so great, and yeah, they found another hobbies, different places and people to hang with, and some got more serious in life.
May 27, 1:00 PM
Jan 2023
I don't plan on leaving this place any time soon, kinda made this place my home honestly. Yeah this forum may be dying, but all forums are, that's just the way things are.

As long as I still watch anime, I will be around on this website.

As for the inactive profiles, I've noticed that a lot of them stuck around for a couple years and disappeared. I run into a lot of such profiles because I do watch a good amount of older anime.
May 27, 1:41 PM

Jan 2009
Hard to tell if and when I will "graduate" from MAL. On the one hand, even if I don't watch Anime or read Manga for a longer time, I am still more than willed to use the community features when my boredom levels are high enough and/or I get interested enough in others. Though there have been phases where I have been so disappointed in talking to others that I didn't want to post for a while.

One of the main reasons why I have been keeping logging in has been to have a central place where people who may know me from other places can leave me a message and reach out to me. But even that will probably end as soon as I find one or more quality people in intimate and committed relationships be them actual friends or a genuine lover to spend time with instead of passing time in a place where I'm not appreciated or continuing to be available for people from the past who don't want to reach out to me (any longer)
May 27, 2:49 PM

May 2014
Dead or had children is usually my thought. It must be sad if you were friends with them and they suddenly vanish ;-;
May 28, 7:09 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
I know a few inactive profiles in real life.

There's really 3 major cases that occur.

The first is that person quit watching anime or reading manga, that happens of course to some people as they get older and find new interests.

Another thing I see happen is that they simply stop tracking what they watch or find an alternative tracker like Anilist that they like the UI for better.

These 2 are the most common.

Its the last option that is a bit darker but sometimes they just get into a car accident and things dont work out.
May 28, 11:45 AM

Aug 2020
This dude https://myanimelist.net/profile/holdenn spent two weeks in this site to be never seen again.

May 28, 11:54 AM

Feb 2018
kinda crazy you remember the guy if he was active for jut 2 weeks, must have left quite the impact ^
Resign? 🕊➤Yes / No Resign? Yes / ⚔➤No

May 28, 11:58 AM

Feb 2018
Avg number of active mal users is pretty low right now. I remember when the avg used to be around 300 users browsing the forums, now it's avg less than 200 usually. I don't have all the data so can't say if it's just seasonal or something. But every season, there's like 5-6 regulars that go offline and 5-6 new users that become regulars.
Resign? 🕊➤Yes / No Resign? Yes / ⚔➤No

May 28, 12:04 PM

Jul 2008
As somebody who has been here for 16 years, it's sad even looking at my friends list sometimes! Met so many great people over the years, but a bunch of them disappeared without a trace.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
May 28, 12:13 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to tsukareru
Avg number of active mal users is pretty low right now. I remember when the avg used to be around 300 users browsing the forums, now it's avg less than 200 usually. I don't have all the data so can't say if it's just seasonal or something. But every season, there's like 5-6 regulars that go offline and 5-6 new users that become regulars.
@tsukareru
Interesting. I might well be on the path of becoming a regular here. It seems that forums are dying in profit of more "modern" websites. I remember watching a video of one of these famous anituber (Gigguk or Joey?) explaining that they moved to Anilist. I checked the website, the design is clean and the social media part looks similar to twitter which must be more attractive to some people.
May 28, 12:15 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Most of them probably made the mistake of getting married and now have no free time to enjoy anime and vidya games. Or even worse, their wife doesn't let them! Hahaha.
May 28, 12:19 PM

May 2024
As a new highly active user, I've already seen multiple accounts go inactive and it makes me really sad because in most cases MAL is the only way I can get in contact with these people , I don't mind the amount of active users as much, as long as the people online are active and contribute to the community. I will say with Anilist coming on the rise MAL is slowly losing more and more members even though I personally prefer MAL. This is just from what I've seen so far
May 28, 1:05 PM

Jan 2009
Touka said:
As somebody who has been here for 16 years, it's sad even looking at my friends list sometimes! Met so many great people over the years, but a bunch of them disappeared without a trace.
I feel you, but there's nothing you can do in case they have moved on, so you can simply enjoy the times you have with others as best as you can as long as they and you are active. It's also not different from relationships in person: there will be always the last call or the last meet-up in person

tsukareru said:
With a few core exceptions of users who have been active through the years, it's quite possible that lots of the regulars are regulars in different periods, like not posting for a longer time only to get back into forums for a couple of weeks or months again
NoboruMay 28, 1:09 PM
May 28, 2:32 PM

Sep 2019
It's a small dosage of nostalgia I suppose, but I don't think about it as anything more deep than that. These days I log on to mal once maybe twice a month, so yeah the day will come when I just forget about mal completely.

May 29, 1:53 PM

Jan 2022
i think most of them anhero'd.
As for myself, i don't think anything significant will happen. i won't allow it.

More topics from this board

» Is it easy to detect fictional drawings from real photographs?

DesuMaiden - Sep 24

20 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » do you even watch anime like how you used to?

college_boy - 18 minutes ago

1 by Zettaiken »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » why are people so elitist on this site?

college_boy - 10 minutes ago

0 by college_boy »»
10 minutes ago

» Animator Skills Test

GinIonSui - 15 minutes ago

1 by DesuMaiden »»
13 minutes ago

» why is being idealistic always considered as a taboo in this world?

FruitPunchBaka - Jun 5

22 by college_boy »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.