Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 7, 4:49 AM

May 2015
Aside from the resident one here, almost every new show this season has the same 2 fighting to see who can be first to comment. God this place is getting sad
May 7, 5:00 AM
Apr 2014
It is funny because in a few cases I have found the exact source where the AI pulled a line from their "reviews" on an episode, often something like a highly upvoted comment related to the source material on reddit lmfao.
May 7, 5:04 AM

Sep 2016
Are you by chance talking about the user with the Roronoa Zoro pic?

Edit: After reading this reply below, he seems really sus and fishy.
ZarutakuMay 7, 9:59 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 7, 5:04 AM
Apr 2024
For real. They always make an entire description of each episode. Who cares? It's literally spoilers about everything that happens in episode. Description is not something you're supposed to write. I'd say you're supposed to say something about your impressions, feelings and dunno, predictions regarding stuff that happened in specified episode.
18927May 7, 5:08 AM
May 7, 5:07 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to 18927
For real. They always make an entire description of each episode. Who cares? It's literally spoilers about everything that happens in episode. Description is not something you're supposed to write. I'd say you're supposed to say something about your impressions, feelings and dunno, predictions regarding stuff that happened in specified episode.
@18927 its been a tradition here on mal for decades since a lot of this first ep thread makers are just watching the raws without subs so they describe it in detail instead

you new users should not gatekeep old ways of the mal forums
May 7, 5:07 AM
Dec 2021
You mean the people who start the episode discussion threads?

May 7, 5:10 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to deg
@18927 its been a tradition here on mal for decades since a lot of this first ep thread makers are just watching the raws without subs so they describe it in detail instead

@deg I'm not gatekeeping anything. I just despise bots and AI-like behaviour.
May 7, 5:11 AM

Apr 2012
Lol, first time? For some reason, races for the very first comment have become extremely popular again among zoomers and mellinals, although it would seem that this was discredited back in the early 10s.
May 7, 5:12 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to 18927
@deg I'm not gatekeeping anything. I just despise bots and AI-like behaviour.
@18927 dude the behavior you despise is not even against the rules so ye youre gatekeeping here and i see a lot of opinions like yours over the years here beginning with covid so its always new users like you that complains about this mal forum tradition
May 7, 5:21 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to deg
@18927 dude the behavior you despise is not even against the rules so ye youre gatekeeping here and i see a lot of opinions like yours over the years here beginning with covid so its always new users like you that complains about this mal forum tradition
@deg lmao. Just think what you want. Doesn't matter it isn't against the rules . Do you even read first 1-3 posts in created discussion threads? I always ignore them and probably not only me. I'd rather read an impression of something. What is this? Speedrunning shows? Just read a description and don't watch episodes xD.

Also "tradition", my ass. You contradict yourself now. Here you go. First 3 posts from older thread. Responses from normal users.

May 7, 5:21 AM

May 2015
Reply to deg

@deg I'm hardly a new user, and watching raws would not cause you to mention non existent character 3 times in a "synopsis" as one of those 2 knuckleheads did yesterday
May 7, 5:22 AM

Jun 2017
One very soon learns to skip them. They are like the User Manual or Terms of Service of an episode thread.
But hasn't this been happening since way before AI's were a thing?

May 7, 5:27 AM

Jan 2009
@18927
@billybub

no i do not read them either but its been like this for decades now and you posting very old cherry pick threads will not change that

for me as long as its not against the rules who cares the forum activity is already dying big time here and you want to kill it more
May 7, 5:31 AM

May 2015
Reply to deg
@18927
@billybub

no i do not read them either but its been like this for decades now and you posting very old cherry pick threads will not change that

for me as long as its not against the rules who cares the forum activity is already dying big time here and you want to kill it more
@deg by very old you mean yesterday?
May 7, 5:37 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to deg
@18927
@billybub

@deg I could give more examples, this is not cherry picking. Better dead than artificially kept alive 😆. You can't even discuss with them, because they won't reply to you or they do, but veryyy rarely. It's natural forums are less active than more modern community apps
May 7, 5:44 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to 18927
@deg I could give more examples, this is not cherry picking. Better dead than artificially kept alive 😆. You can't even discuss with them, because they won't reply to you or they do, but veryyy rarely. It's natural forums are less active than more modern community apps
@18927 lol i doubt you will last longer than a year in the forums here so youre just a tourist here on mal but you want to destroy the remaining forum activity altogether the arrogance is wild
May 7, 5:53 AM

May 2015
@deg how exactly does calling out spambots "destroy forum activity"? Lol I'm really beginning to think at least one of them is an alt of yours, can't think of any other reason to defend a chat gtp using spambot
May 7, 5:54 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to billybub
@deg how exactly does calling out spambots "destroy forum activity"? Lol I'm really beginning to think at least one of them is an alt of yours, can't think of any other reason to defend a chat gtp using spambot
@billybub lol no you can report me to the moderators right now if i have alt account here because i got nothing

im just against killing forum activity more since over the years im here the mal forums is dying

the strict forum rules are killing mal forums and i do not want to add more forum rules
May 7, 5:58 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to deg
@18927 lol i doubt you will last longer than a year in the forums here so youre just a tourist here on mal but you want to destroy the remaining forum activity altogether the arrogance is wild
@deg Dunno if I last here longer than 1 year. I'm not a tourist if it comes to anime. I've been watching it since 2010 with breaks.
It's funny you think that banning bots means destroying activity. Well, you're sorta right, but this is shitty activity
May 7, 6:03 AM

May 2015
There is a difference between strict forum rules (which I hate as well). And an obvious chat gtp synopsis between 2 idiots fighting over who gets the 1st post. Not to mention that other fool who's posts consists mainly of "if you stuck a red haired anime girls head up your ass what color shit would you have?"
May 7, 6:12 AM

Oct 2013
Wouldn't know anything about that. I intentionally stay away from episode discussions because I don't watch things as they air anymore.
May 7, 6:19 AM
Apr 2014
Reply to deg
@18927
@billybub

@deg I understand your frustration with the declining activity on the forum, but dismissing the issue of AI spambots as "very old cherry-pick threads" is overlooking the real harm they're causing. These bots flood discussions with irrelevant or nonsensical comments, making it difficult for genuine users to engage meaningfully.

Allowing AI spambots to run rampant not only diminishes the quality of discussions but also undermines the integrity of the forum itself. It creates an environment where authentic human interaction is drowned out by automated noise.

Ignoring this problem won't make it go away. We need to address it proactively to ensure that the forum remains a vibrant community for genuine discussion and exchange of ideas. By taking steps to mitigate the impact of AI spambots, we can revitalize the forum and foster a healthier environment for everyone involved.
-written by chatgpt to prove my point
May 7, 6:20 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to velvetnyan
@deg I understand your frustration with the declining activity on the forum, but dismissing the issue of AI spambots as "very old cherry-pick threads" is overlooking the real harm they're causing. These bots flood discussions with irrelevant or nonsensical comments, making it difficult for genuine users to engage meaningfully.

Allowing AI spambots to run rampant not only diminishes the quality of discussions but also undermines the integrity of the forum itself. It creates an environment where authentic human interaction is drowned out by automated noise.

Ignoring this problem won't make it go away. We need to address it proactively to ensure that the forum remains a vibrant community for genuine discussion and exchange of ideas. By taking steps to mitigate the impact of AI spambots, we can revitalize the forum and foster a healthier environment for everyone involved.
-written by chatgpt to prove my point
@velvetnyan are you really sure they are ai spambots? or the op is just calling them spambots? i mean report them to the moderators since i know they have some tricks to know if a user is a spambot or not
May 7, 6:29 AM
Apr 2014
Reply to deg
@velvetnyan are you really sure they are ai spambots? or the op is just calling them spambots? i mean report them to the moderators since i know they have some tricks to know if a user is a spambot or not
@deg It isn't a spambot persay, it is just they have AI write the stuff for them. It does get things wrong from time to time, especially if it is an original. With stuff with source material you can see it pulls from popular posts

As an example, I accidentally stumbled across this while looking up stuff about the manga after i watched the show
https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/nm7qhj/comment/gzn578v/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

and realized the line seemed extremely familiar and sure enough
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?goto=post&topicid=2153049&id=70782087 it was here.

I have nothing against the guy but if this becomes a trend it will eventually be a problem, for now i just skim by these types of posts though.
May 7, 6:38 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to velvetnyan
@deg It isn't a spambot persay, it is just they have AI write the stuff for them. It does get things wrong from time to time, especially if it is an original. With stuff with source material you can see it pulls from popular posts

As an example, I accidentally stumbled across this while looking up stuff about the manga after i watched the show
https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/nm7qhj/comment/gzn578v/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?goto=post&topicid=2153049&id=70782087 it was here.

I have nothing against the guy but if this becomes a trend it will eventually be a problem, for now i just skim by these types of posts though.
@velvetnyan im not sure i think this is a slippery slope argument but sure maybe the guy is copying popular posts from other sites if that is not him too with a different account and username

while the slippery slope for more forum rules already shows how the forum activity is dying more and more
May 7, 6:59 AM
Apr 2014
Reply to deg
@velvetnyan im not sure i think this is a slippery slope argument but sure maybe the guy is copying popular posts from other sites if that is not him too with a different account and username

while the slippery slope for more forum rules already shows how the forum activity is dying more and more
@deg Yes, I don't know the correct way to go about it unfortunately. If you ban AI posts there will be tons of false accusations that chase out more people, if you don't, the forum will eventually be dominated by them. It will probably happen either way, so maybe it is best to leave it alone and abandon when you reach the point that you aren't sure if you are talking to any humans at all or not. Actually stopping to think about this thanks to this thread made me realize just how much the entire thing sucks. I just wanna have fun watching anime tbh :/
May 7, 9:10 AM
Aug 2018
Reply to velvetnyan

@velvetnyan

Okay, that example was creepy. Literally the same line.
May 7, 9:21 AM

May 2015
Reply to velvetnyan

@velvetnyan what's funny is that's the guy that got me thinking about this to begin with. Dude posted a 3 paragraph long "synapses" in Ookami to Koushinryou yesterday repeatedly mentioning the character "Chloe" and her involvement. Problem is Chloe isn't even in the new adaptation.
May 7, 9:53 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to velvetnyan

@velvetnyan Yea, that's the Zoro guy I was talking about above, your find indeed make him really sus and fishy.
May 7, 10:18 AM

Jul 2013
I am totally not an AI spambot...no I seriously am not one...
May 7, 10:44 AM

Jan 2008
I'm assuming the one with the Bocchi avatar is too. For both users, if you go into their post history and look at the date created of the topics they post in, they post in near perfect order of date created for every topic.

And I'm probably just overreacting but something I've noticed the past year is a large amount of users with no forum pics replying to new non-episode discussion topics made in anime series sub forums with short one liners responses. I only started thinking it's weird because MAL has barely any active forum users like 200~300 yet when someone makes a topic in the anime series sub forums, especially of more niche shows, they get these random one liner post users with no avatars/sig. If you then go into an actual episode discussion topic, you'll notice a difference in the forum users. Not saying they're all bots or anything but it's just very strange.
PaulMay 7, 10:49 AM
May 7, 10:55 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to DesuMaiden
@DesuMaiden Amazing, spambots are already able to sarcastically deny their own identity!
May 7, 12:24 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to DesuMaiden
@DesuMaiden
What is the square root of pineapple?
May 7, 5:04 PM

Nov 2019
When I know the shade that's being thrown in the MAL forum it feels like I'm part of the internal drama lol. But there's like 3 or 4 that I can count for the episode discussion and 2 from the reviews.
May 8, 12:24 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
At the end of the day this is my advice: It is what it is.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best samurai anime

JoeChip - Yesterday

15 by ST63LTH »»
2 minutes ago

» Character(s) you would wrestle with if they were real

IpreferEcchi - Jun 9

5 by ST63LTH »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime tropes - yay or nay

JoeChip - Yesterday

6 by ST63LTH »»
4 minutes ago

» Can someone please help me fine the name of an old anime ( no pics available)

Karimhi - Jun 8

20 by Karimhi »»
5 minutes ago

» Characters you want to sit on you / in your lap uwu

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

21 by ST63LTH »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.