Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2021 12:01 PM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
You know how bad it is when a movie with a title like that has to rip off influences from the far superior movies (that one Makoto Shinkai movie should come up first in your mind).

This is a Yoshinobu Sena film where this ass of a person did the "so bad it's bad" masterpiece that is Vampire Holmes, and this film doesn't have any creativity AT ALL. Characters don't feel compelling and act like cheaply made, new VA quality if there's no rhyme or reason to anything.

The whole childhood friend, romance angle, plus the weird otherworldly mechanics that most of it are a direct or similar rip-off, they're all dumb-downed to the bare minimum of enjoyability. Oh I'm sorry, it's NOT enjoyable at all with so much mish-mesh of ideas from one single person contrived to create a product like this.

You obviously got references to Kimi no na wa. (majority of them in the human realm), Spirited Away with the train on ocean scene and pretty much of the "spirits" world-building.

Digital Network Animation, don't call yourself a movie/film studio if you create subpar cinematography like this. I expect better for films to have stellar, if not decent visuals and animation.

If you're expecting this movie to behave like an inferior Makoto Shinkai influence, then yeah, hell it be so. Otherwise, please don't watch this one unless you wanna waste 95 mins of your precious time.
KANLen09Oct 22, 2021 12:15 PM
Oct 22, 2021 12:07 PM

Jul 2019
tf is going on, we watched this at the same time or smth?

Anyways yeah, movie was mid. I might as well ask mods to throw every genre in this because that is how messy this was. I liked the ending tho lmao.

Just watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or smth.
Oct 22, 2021 12:31 PM

Jul 2017
@NextUniverse probably ask the mods to throw in the "Dementia" tag, because this is just quite cringe in all levels meant to eff with our minds. Nothing ever made sense in this one, and I told myself to quit but persevere along.

Thank God this was a movie though, definitely one of the worst movies of the modern day.
Oct 22, 2021 1:57 PM
Aug 2013
What the hell did I just watch?
Oct 22, 2021 2:24 PM

Jan 2008
The voice acting in this movie is ear-rapeing terrible. Especially Arata. Though Mio’s scream can also produce bleeding.

The movie is pretty bad itself, but the abysmal voice acting just kills it.
Oct 22, 2021 3:02 PM

Jul 2011
I hate these people that go cycling while heavy raining without helmet and in high speed.
Need a near-death experience to realized that she love the guy. Sound like a real bad deal.
The characters were basically dating hard without dating, making this dumber

This MV make much more sense than this movie. And dont make you waste 1 half hour

BlichoBoyOct 22, 2021 3:07 PM
Oct 22, 2021 5:20 PM

Jul 2021
The voice acting and animation is just not for me but the ending was pretty ok though
Oct 22, 2021 6:55 PM

Feb 2017
mio's screaming/crying/groaning was 80 times louder than literally anything else in this movie. i had my laptop volume on 40 (usually only need it on 20 to hear) still struggling to hear what the characters were saying then i get an ugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA blasting out of my speakers

mio bursting out into song in the middle of the movie made me cringe. but nothing in this movie was cringier than requiem in that demon form(?). my god that was just pure pain to sit through (i skipped through the song tho like this isnt high school musical pls)

not sure im understanding why mio didnt wanna tell arata her feelings. first it was "iM nOt woRtHy; he wont like the real me waaaaaa", then it was "but madoka likes him too and i dont wanna ruin our relationship waaaaaaaa" girl like what??? did madoka even come see u in the hospital like LMFAO ????? u would think theyd show madoka visiting mio considering they are friends????

this whole movie, i felt that i never knew what was gonna show up next. it was so incredibly overdramatic and angsty too.

i dont usually complain about clichés/recycled tropes/etc but MEH; the tropes were too much for me this time

i had this movie written down on a sticky note for probably over a year now because i wanted to watch it. i heard that japanese people didnt care for this movie which was why it was unlikely that the west would get to see this movie anytime soon. i very much regret my patience in waiting for this movie

placeholder text
Oct 23, 2021 6:58 AM

Feb 2014
I'm confused, the place where Arata brought Mio was a cliff, the same spot where the sun was setting around the beginning of the film when Mio needs to calm down for her exams. And then at the end when Mio came back to life, they are on the same spot and the sun is rising? How can the sun rise and set at the same place? LOL! unless it's a different place, it doesn't make sense at all.
Oct 23, 2021 4:28 PM

Sep 2008
Just got through watching this earlier today, as I did have initial interest in wanting to see it last year upon learning of it. I wouldn't say it's the worst thing I've seen. But outside of its nice visuals, the movie just reeks of being generic between its rather blatant storytelling, cliched characters, and largely ho-hum voice acting. The musical number with Mio was probably the worst part of the film for me, given how random and grating on the ears it was.
Oct 24, 2021 6:50 PM
Jun 2020
OrangeRafi said:
I'm confused, the place where Arata brought Mio was a cliff, the same spot where the sun was setting around the beginning of the film when Mio needs to calm down for her exams. And then at the end when Mio came back to life, they are on the same spot and the sun is rising? How can the sun rise and set at the same place? LOL! unless it's a different place, it doesn't make sense at all.

You answered your own question it seems. It doesn't make sense. You are putting way more thought into this movie than the director did.

Seriously the movie was so boring and drawn out. What was the whole point of the Requiem sequence? What was the point of Kiku? What was the point of the family of psychics? What was the point of the friend who was hardly in the movie?

This is like a frankenstein monster of a bunch of better movies. I swear they were just copying Spirited Away and Your Name at times.

What really got me was Mio's voice acting. That crying scene was so bad it actually had me laughing. It was also ear splitting painful as well.
Nov 1, 2021 12:28 PM
May 2014
Something was wrong with Arata's voice
Nov 4, 2021 1:19 AM

Sep 2021
This is some next level Shinkai-tier bullshit storytelling. In truth, the story base would be good if not for the last 35 minutes, combined with the random inconsistencies in the plot and side characters.

Voice acting was cringe since this seems to be the main characters' first roles as anime Voice Actors. About 2 or 3 veteran VAs were cast in side characters instead. So much screaming...

So in one scene, the aunt was telling Arata not to use his powers, then in the hospital she was telling him "you can use your powers to save your waifu" <- this is just one example of inconsistent character/plot.

Like I said earlier, the anime could have ended on a good note in an hour but maybe they were told to make a 1 hour and 35 minutes anime film which is the best reason to explain the whole going back and forth for Mio to "face her problems" 3 times. If we exclude that last 35 minutes, I feel it would still be a tolerable anime film...

Looking at the anime as a whole, it seems like someone smoked a little too much weed, seen this whole story from start to end and decided to put it out in anime form.
yhagniNov 4, 2021 1:22 AM
Nov 24, 2021 7:59 PM
Nov 2021
Who tf kiku is? They make her seems like an important character, but until the end mio still forget who she is.

Overall all this movie is shit 3/10. I still can barely watch until the end though.
Nov 27, 2021 4:55 PM
Jan 2021
@CQLLIST yeah same

the ending is ok for me too
Jan 26, 2022 7:50 PM

Feb 2019
Arata's powers seem completely irrelevant to the plot.

What is it about anime drama where they have to have either a dead parent or parental abandonment. Hell this one had both. Why did his mom have to abandon him to keep his power from going wild? It was his dad he got the power from, not the mom, yet she for some reason sent him away and kept living with her dead husband's family? Why? It makes no sense. Of course they show him reuniting with her in the credits, so I guess they just ignore her abandoning him for the past 10 years or so.
Feb 11, 2022 3:02 PM
Apr 2019
this was so painful to watch 😵
Mar 10, 2022 7:31 AM

Mar 2014
Ughh this movie is really bad, I felt like they are trying to make a hybird of Shinkai Makoto and Disney abomination
Apr 22, 2022 1:52 AM

Aug 2021
Bro....I just really Don't know Why people Hate this Anime....😥😥😥 I just really don't know....In fact this Is One of the best action-romance-fantasy anime I ever watched.... 🥳🥳🥳🥳 I Just really Love the storyline And also the Main charecters....🤩🤩 Those Two are the best....💝💝 Besides....This anime shows You How You can prosper in your life....💖 It shows You What are the Results of hard work...💖 What is the moral of "Never Give Up" 💝💖 For Those Things....It was the perfect anime... For me🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰 💝💖10/10💝💖🤩
Jun 7, 2022 12:52 AM

Sep 2020
I dislike the MC. Also who exactly is Kiku? And she don't tell her true feelings about Arata to Madoka. Also the graphic is like an anime TV
smsdm

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 29, 2022 9:07 AM

Jul 2017
@Chicairo go watch an actual Makoto Shinkai movie, if you say this is perfect, then I think is your personal bias of complete BS.
Jul 11, 2022 4:42 PM
Jul 2008
Overall the movie has good concept but the execution is terrible.
It's like a combined of Ghibli with Shinkai movie.
I understand the message what the movie wanted to convey, and that was one of the reason why Arata's dad can't come back but Mio can.

IRV7 said:
Who tf kiku is? They make her seems like an important character, but until the end mio still forget who she is.

Overall all this movie is shit 3/10. I still can barely watch until the end though.

Kyafyamess said:
I dislike the MC. Also who exactly is Kiku? And she don't tell her true feelings about Arata to Madoka. Also the graphic is like an anime TV

She's her goldfish. I know the movie is boring but it was showed clearly when they talked about her mispronounced name "Kii".

It seems that some goldfish can appear to be dying and come back alive again later which explain why she said she has come several times to that world.

I knew she might be her goldfish because of this scene, it was shown right before she went into accident.

Why Kiku can't remember of herself, you might want to search about 'memory of goldfish' myth. It seems that her memory is better when she's in that world than real world lol.

Mio also told her feelings about Arata to Madoka in credits if you paid attention.

HOOfan_1 said:
Arata's powers seem completely irrelevant to the plot.

What is it about anime drama where they have to have either a dead parent or parental abandonment. Hell this one had both. Why did his mom have to abandon him to keep his power from going wild? It was his dad he got the power from, not the mom, yet she for some reason sent him away and kept living with her dead husband's family? Why? It makes no sense. Of course they show him reuniting with her in the credits, so I guess they just ignore her abandoning him for the past 10 years or so.

Arata or Kishimo's power is the main driving plot of the story. Without that power, his dad won't die and Mio won't be able to come back.

His mom kept him from the family to prevent his power activating again, she was afraid of the power. I think the aunt explained it clearly?

He can now reunite with his mom because he lost his power, this was also shown clearly in the movie.
LeonLanfordJul 11, 2022 4:53 PM
Jul 12, 2022 6:47 AM

Feb 2019
LeonLanford said:

Arata or Kishimo's power is the main driving plot of the story. Without that power, his dad won't die and Mio won't be able to come back.

Well it's been almost 7 months since I watched the movie, and it wasn't that good so I didn't bother to retain everything about it, so I am not sure why I said his powers were irrelevant.

His mom kept him from the family to prevent his power activating again, she was afraid of the power. I think the aunt explained it clearly?

From what I do remember of the movie

His mom has to keep him from his DAD'S family. So, why does SHE have to stay away from him? Why is SHE living with his dad's family? She should be living with her son, if anything, it should be easier for her to keep his dad's family away from him if she lives with him.

I don't remember them saying she was afraid of the power for her own sake. She was afraid it would hurt her son. If she was afraid of the power for her own sake, then why the hell would she keep living with her husband's family...the family that spawned the power?

He can now reunite with his mom because he lost his power, this was also shown clearly in the movie.

Was it? I don't recall, but I do kind of doubt it, the movie wasn't clear on very much
HOOfan_1Jul 12, 2022 6:50 AM
Jul 12, 2022 3:45 PM
Jul 2008
HOOfan_1 said:
LeonLanford said:

Well it's been almost 7 months since I watched the movie, and it wasn't that good so I didn't bother to retain everything about it, so I am not sure why I said his powers were irrelevant.

From what I do remember of the movie

His mom has to keep him from his DAD'S family. So, why does SHE have to stay away from him? Why is SHE living with his dad's family? She should be living with her son, if anything, it should be easier for her to keep his dad's family away from him if she lives with him.

I don't remember them saying she was afraid of the power for her own sake. She was afraid it would hurt her son. If she was afraid of the power for her own sake, then why the hell would she keep living with her husband's family...the family that spawned the power?

Was it? I don't recall, but I do kind of doubt it, the movie wasn't clear on very much

As I have written above, the mom was afraid of the power, Arata also thought his mom hate him but the reason was explained by the aunt in the movie.
https://imgur.com/a/umYh5LW

As for the lost power, Arata said it himself. He would try to go to that world again if he can.

As for the irrelevant power.. Just imagine there's no power in the anime. The credit will roll after the accident happened.

Things said by you and people wrote above were clearly shown in the anime, people just don't pay attention because they got bored.
Jul 13, 2022 4:52 AM

Feb 2019

That makes absolutely no sense based on how the movie explained his power going nuts.

The "Kishimo blood" came from his father. If his mom triggered the power going berserk, then his dad would have died before he was even conceived. The movie explained it as being around other people with the Kishimo blood would make his power go nuts...his mother doesn't have Kishimo blood. Plus again...if she triggers the Kishimo blood...why is she still living in a house full of Kishimos?

Also, it doesn't take "getting near someone" to talk to them on the phone, or to write them a letter, but apparently his mom wasn't even doing that. It took his aunt to explain the entire stupid premise of the movie to him.

Why shouldn't he think his mom hates him if she abandons him without any explanation at all, without even a letter every few months? But the reason she doesn't contact him or explain anything to him is basically so the movie can have some extra manufactured drama that it didn't really need. If anything, her not explaining anything to him leaves him out there with a power that could kill him, and he doesn't even know he shouldn't use it. Like I said above, "parental abandonment" is honestly a VERY tired trope in anime and this movie had to bend over backwards to explain why they included it, and the explanation basically contradicts itself.
HOOfan_1Jul 13, 2022 4:56 AM
Jul 13, 2022 4:31 PM
Jul 2008
HOOfan_1 said:

That makes absolutely no sense based on how the movie explained his power going nuts.

The "Kishimo blood" came from his father. If his mom triggered the power going berserk, then his dad would have died before he was even conceived. The movie explained it as being around other people with the Kishimo blood would make his power go nuts...his mother doesn't have Kishimo blood. Plus again...if she triggers the Kishimo blood...why is she still living in a house full of Kishimos?

Also, it doesn't take "getting near someone" to talk to them on the phone, or to write them a letter, but apparently his mom wasn't even doing that. It took his aunt to explain the entire stupid premise of the movie to him.

Why shouldn't he think his mom hates him if she abandons him without any explanation at all, without even a letter every few months? But the reason she doesn't contact him or explain anything to him is basically so the movie can have some extra manufactured drama that it didn't really need. If anything, her not explaining anything to him leaves him out there with a power that could kill him, and he doesn't even know he shouldn't use it. Like I said above, "parental abandonment" is honestly a VERY tired trope in anime and this movie had to bend over backwards to explain why they included it, and the explanation basically contradicts itself.

His dad power never went berserk, his dad used his own power by his own will to bring Arata and Mio back.

Her mom was afraid his power will go berserk again if he stays near Kishimo. This was also shown in the movie, when Arata got near her aunt, suddenly he can see "things". Her mom might not be a Kishimo, it's just a safety measure and she's traumatic because of the power. Or the aunt was just making excuses so that he doesn't hate his mom. Was it ever mentioned that her mom was still living in a house full of kishimos?

Why separate Arata with his mom? Maybe the author want to make Arata more attached to Mio? Or maybe because he wants him to hate his power or family? I don't know why you are really focused in this part, but you may want to ask the author directly for that.

Anyway that's not the point of the story, you just think too hard about it, as you said it's just extra drama. Manufactured dramas are what make a story. you are just complaining about cliches in movies rather than the movie itself.

Rather than that, there are more intriguing things to talk about. Why did Kiku take a human form? Did her human form is someone who's close to mio? Who the Requiem and Goddess actually are? What is the reason the bracelet can help mio bounded to human world? What is the reason after getting the ticket, Mio still couldn't come back? What happens if Mio didn't step into the door the first time? Could she still come back quickly?
Jul 28, 2022 11:10 AM

Aug 2021
KANLen09 said:
@Chicairo go watch an actual Makoto Shinkai movie, if you say this is perfect, then I think is your personal bias of complete BS.

Umm....Sorry But didn't really understand...What you said....But I watched Mukoto sensei😓
Sep 12, 2022 11:38 PM
Sep 2022
Personally, I felt like this was just some trippy acid silent hill game. Just hear me out on this, silent Hill supposed to help you confront your inner demons and such, and I don't know what to say except that "spider thing" definitely constitutes as a silent Hill enemy. The thing even forms out of nowhere, not to mention the rainbows and everything just scream acid trip.
Sep 16, 2022 6:11 AM
Jun 2019
That was so laughably bad I had to look up the staff and studio that was behind this terrible execution of a movie.

We don't see the history of these characters at all, which would be have been fine if the whole movie didn't try use the goddamn history of these characters to drive the story! So instead, they splice in these flashbacks after the character reveals something as if to say, "see? We established it. Now cry please".

I feel like this was their attempt at portraying her amnesia but the execution was just god awful. It should have made me feel sympathy and pity her, but instead it just made the story beats laughable and their relationship as flat as a cardboard.
Mar 6, 2023 12:44 AM

Oct 2012
is this worth watching or.
Apr 17, 2023 2:38 PM

Nov 2009
There's no personality in their voices and they sound older than they are. Girl bursts into a random song mid way through the movie, which to me was probably the best of her voice throughout the whole movie because her screams were terrible and felt really overdone. The animation was so-so it was really dull except some scenes. I agree with the statements above, don't waste your time with this movie, it's one of the worst i've seen. 
May 19, 10:29 AM

May 2017
Why do movies always focus on story that much while leaving characters behind , yet still fail at it , why do they try to do something that they are bad at , i know i cant dance but im good on sciences , if i had to win some money i would work for science instead of dancing

yet all movies just go the other way and focus on things they cant do instead of focusing on things they can

the whole movie was about the girl saying her feelings to that guy , yet when she said it , we ear nothing ?! it's obvious of course but we should at least ear thoses words , the whole movie just keep going around thoses words yet we dont ear them at all
Why ? cause thoses words were only for him and no one else could ear them ? well yeah shes selfish , at least i noticed this , she saved herself , yet what about the fish ?!

thoses words were basicaly the only thing left to save this movie and they just removed them

post ending scene , her friend is happy , it seems she find an other guy (whos this guy) , the fish is alive , such a strong fish , he died before yet and manage to came back all by himself , twice

3/10 , the fish saved it from 2/10 cause he manage to save the girl and save himself , Big Boss !
LadyLeeMingMay 19, 10:32 AM
Loli world is just a cute world full of cute meat

Jul 9, 12:21 PM

Jun 2017
definitely had an interesting concept going on but i found them lacking building up to it .Still it gets a grace marks from me

More topics from this board

» Ghost movie?

KingShulox - Mar 8, 2021

26 by Bernex7 »»
Jun 1, 3:29 PM

» What do you think about this anime movie?

TheCryBabyHero - Jul 14, 2023

13 by MrGarland »»
Apr 15, 12:06 AM

» The real question about this movie.

Yugesai - Dec 8, 2021

14 by no_talking »»
Nov 18, 2022 12:10 PM

» Anyone have any information

AnimeFan0013 - Feb 20, 2021

15 by SS05 »»
Nov 16, 2021 3:25 PM

» Hype?

DucksInThePool - Aug 25, 2020

16 by spectrojan »»
Dec 1, 2020 11:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.