Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 31, 2009 3:15 PM

Jul 2007
My truthful answer is, I really don't know... I liked Gender Bending long before I knew about what anime or manga was, but I only really truly fell in love with it again when I read Hana-Kimi 3 summers ago.

I don't personally dress the opposite sex or have crazy issues with my gender I just love the stories.

Hopefully you all will be able to explain why you like it a lot better than me! lol.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 2, 2009 6:00 PM

May 2008
Alienation with gender. Alienation and hatred for people saying "this is just the way things are, women are this way, men are this way".

And those who bend it all, gender, and destroy it, give me psychological comfort. Oh, and a bit of sexual excitement.

I'm not sure how this works, but my comfort and preference is for the middle somewhere, of girly boys, and boyish girls. But at the same time it has an excitement quality. I suppose due to rarity, of the true genderdestroyers, in comparison to the other mundane gender fitters.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Apr 3, 2009 6:16 AM

Jul 2007
I find it interesting because the next step to stepping into another person's shoes would be stepping into another person's wardrobe/gender. The resulting disorientation rarely fails to amuse me.
Apr 3, 2009 6:34 AM

Sep 2008
whatever sex has been changed they can understand what the different gender goes through
Apr 19, 2009 10:20 PM

Nov 2007
Very complicated. x3 Like ukonkivi said, it kind of frees characters from their gender roles, especially in stories set in the old times. It's a great way to explore themes of gender, feminism (in old settings), and such by making people questions their ideas.
You start thinking a bit when you see the characters dress up as the opposite sex to do things they are otherwise unaccepted for, or when you are attracted to a character who you know is the same sex as you. xD

Although there are still series that have cross dressers that still get on my nerves (hana-kimi =_=), quite of bit of times these characters lack a fair amount of qualities that make male/female characters really annoying.

Also it is like getting het relationships, shoujo-ai, and shounen-ai in one package! Except it's debatable whether its really het, shoujo-ai, or shounen-ai. I am not lesbian, and I'm not into yaoi like many girls. Yet for some reason gender benders that play around with them are great D:...
For example a girl will understand what another girl is feeling, especially in sexist settings, and their relationship will be shoujo-ai, but since one girl's sex was changed, it's technically het. xD Or for guys, a guy thinks the girl is a boy/the girl became a boy and we are teased with two "guys" love but it's het. :P
....And tons of other confuse-your-mind situations.
Apr 20, 2009 7:22 AM

Jan 2009
Well, I agree with ukonkivi. We usually take the opposite gender's behaviour for granted. But [they] usually have their reasons to act the way they choose. And when you get to know why and how it feels...
Well, I also like gender bender because it shows that in fact both sexes are the same! It's just the matter of how surrounding interprets your actions: as boysh or as girlish.
Mostly I like when girls are turned to boys, than vise versa. Maybe, cause I'm a girl, or maybe cause it's usually more funny. Boys are more serious about consealing their true identity, when it comes to gender bender. And girls tend to be more oblilvious. It's true. I used to have some experience in changing your appearance to boish. Maybe that is one more reason I like it... Cause it was really exciting!
Apr 21, 2009 8:55 PM

Aug 2008
I don't really know why I enjoy these type of manga/anime. I used to not, but somewhere along the line I started to enjoy them. ^_^
Jul 1, 2009 2:54 PM

May 2008
I really am not sure why I do... I just do...
Jul 10, 2009 4:25 PM

May 2009
I always loved the way people act when its like an accidental thing or when its something they really don't want to happen. Also the "behind enemy lines" style of feelings... its very confusing but its pretty much the shock value.
Jul 21, 2009 10:57 AM

Oct 2007
Gender benders are exciting. There is always the chance that someone could find out his or her secret so he or she has to get used to the role of living as the opposite sex. Which also results in tons of humorous situations. :P
Jul 22, 2009 6:21 PM

Jan 2008
Simple projection of Autogynephilic tendencies.
Aug 1, 2009 1:28 AM
Jul 2009
nexist418 said:

Nice anwer!!
Aug 7, 2009 5:22 PM

Jan 2008
nomadica said:
nexist418 said:

Nice anwer!!

I am glad you liked it. Given that no one has protested it, I am assuming people are either too embarrassed to admit it or their eyes glossed over at the number of syllables in the word :D
Aug 9, 2009 3:26 AM

Jul 2007
Ok so in all honesty that wiki link was a bit tl;rd, but I did see autohermophilia, I can't say I've ever thought of myself as a man o.O;
Aug 10, 2009 1:21 AM

Apr 2009
nexist418 said:
nomadica said:
nexist418 said:

Nice anwer!!

I am glad you liked it. Given that no one has protested it, I am assuming people are either too embarrassed to admit it or their eyes glossed over at the number of syllables in the word :D
Well not exactly disapproving of said answer your bring Fraud into a gender-bending world. The would be happiar than a pig in shit!
WHY DO I DO THESE THINGS?!?
Aug 12, 2009 4:48 AM

Aug 2009
i like the transformation things the best part is when they see the change has happened thats hilarious and after that they must get through the adva,tages and problems the other gender has and try not to get anyone to notice it and theres so much more reasons that i like it to put it simple i just like it :p
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Aug 25, 2009 7:23 PM

May 2009
nexist418 said:

... wow i never though of it being sexually arousing but now that i think about it....
Nov 6, 2009 10:01 AM
Nov 2009
mangafan11 said:
Gender benders are exciting. There is always the chance that someone could find out his or her secret so he or she has to get used to the role of living as the opposite sex. Which also results in tons of humorous situations. :P

There are just so many people here on which I agree with you are one of them
I love using cosplay I dont care the sex I realy care on how the character is, their personality and what they do, Plus some clothes are realy cute ^^
Nov 21, 2009 10:59 PM

Mar 2009
Muyoko said:
I really am not sure why I do... I just do...
Dec 12, 2009 1:24 PM

Nov 2008
I'm transgender so that may be part of the reason. But I also find them hilarious, especially their reactions to when they realize "something" is missing. xD

The predicaments they get into is really funny too. =p
Dec 13, 2009 5:21 PM
Dec 2009
nexist418 said:

Transvestic Autogynephilia. I'm hetrosexual, but I'm pretty sure I have that. Tendancy to enjoy a little dressup, only for sexual pleasure.

This makes me rather attracted to the idea of people becoming the other sex and putting them into situations that have the potential to expose them. Other than that, I have no interest in actually being a woman, going out in public whilst crossdressing, etc... Just find it a fascinating thought.

Although I would love fool a stunning lesbian, then wipp out the little/large secret in the bedroom :D
Dec 16, 2009 2:59 PM

Jul 2009
Kiku-ame said:
My truthful answer is, I really don't know... I liked Gender Bending long before I knew about what anime or manga was, but I only really truly fell in love with it again when I read Hana-Kimi 3 summers ago.

I don't personally dress the opposite sex or have crazy issues with my gender I just love the stories.

Hopefully you all will be able to explain why you like it a lot better than me! lol.

i thought the same too=)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2009 7:36 PM

Sep 2009
nexist418 said:

Kudos to you for saying it. Not many do... and it's not even bad, lots of people find the paraphilia rewarding in its own way (like me). Makes you prone to the gender-bending anime, for example. :P

But yeah, that's also my reason for liking it, I suppose. But gender-bending itself isn't sexually exciting, it's just the autogynephilia makes me more interested in the concept.
Dec 24, 2009 11:14 AM

Jan 2008
beanies520 said:
nexist418 said:

Kudos to you for saying it. Not many do... and it's not even bad, lots of people find the paraphilia rewarding in its own way (like me). Makes you prone to the gender-bending anime, for example. :P

But yeah, that's also my reason for liking it, I suppose. But gender-bending itself isn't sexually exciting, it's just the autogynephilia makes me more interested in the concept.

As I got older, it became harder to engage in androgyny & gender bending. When you only have to shave once a week, it's easy. When you can't quite get rid of your 5 o'clock shadow, not so much.

Other people in drag do not excite me either. However I still have autogynephilic tendencies and the purpose of fiction is to identify with the main character. C'est la vie.
Jan 9, 2010 7:01 AM
Apr 2009
I probably have a some sicko disorder. That's probably why I like this. Nah just kidding. I just love the whole gender bender theme. Each gender bender manga is SOOOO different from the other. That's why make it special.
Jan 11, 2010 3:35 PM

Nov 2009
It lets me feel more comfortable instead of listening to 'Girls have to dress like this while boys dress like that'

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Jan 27, 2010 3:41 AM

Dec 2008
because some of the manga i read seems interesting and funny ^^
hehe
Feb 4, 2010 4:44 AM

Aug 2008
Cause I really like it when they review their secret XD
And yeah, the reactions of the people around the crossdressing character are funny XD
May 13, 2010 11:57 PM

Feb 2009
Simple, because few people can do that swapping thing ^ ^
Jul 28, 2010 11:58 PM
Jul 2018
Many, many reasons.

1. They can be very funny. Think Nodame Cantabile

2. They give an interesting side to a character, eliminating gender roles (sometimes). Like Mulan. And other stuff...

3. Girls switching gender usually are extremely enduring characters for some reason

4. It adds a plot, (most of the time) especially when needed in a shoujo
Jul 29, 2010 7:15 PM
Jul 2010
I just find it really interesting! The characters always get into such strange predicaments and it's usually quite hilarious. It's more fun when love is added to the story as well whether any of the characters know that they are the opposite gender or not and waiting to see how their true gender will eventually be revealed in the end.
Sep 15, 2010 9:57 PM

Mar 2009
If I could have any power, I would choose the power to gender-bend at will!
Oct 2, 2010 9:35 PM

Apr 2009
I'm a girl and I feel that imagining myself as a guy is sexually arousing. It is really common that a lot of guys feel this way, that is why there's so many male to female transformations in anime and manga, but it seems that it's much rarer with females. So far the only decent one I've found was Cute x Guy.. :/
Nov 19, 2010 2:14 PM
Aug 2010
I have GID. I guess I can just relate. XP
Dec 22, 2010 1:31 PM

May 2010
I'm a gal, but I've had periodic bouts of...gender confusion, I guess. Ever since I was little, people would often think I was a boy. And even as an adult, people occasionally think I'm male. I suppose I have androgynous features. I've always felt more comfortable wearing non-girly clothes. And I've always been small--in all areas. Growing up, I was mostly surrounded by boys, and so when I did come into contacts with girls, I couldn't relate to their interests. (Makeup?!?! What the heck do you want to use that stuff for?!?)

Having people think I was I guy so much led me to explore being less feminine, and observing how people reacted to me.

I guess that's why I like gender-benders that are more "tasteful," rather than trying to give the reader a sexual kick. I can relate to a characters trying to look like they have a different gender, whether out of necessity, or interest.
Dec 22, 2010 9:36 PM

Dec 2010
Before getting to the point, I'd like to point out that I prefer the ones with male crossdress as female. This type of story is appealing to me 'coz

1) it's harder for male to dress up as female and *make it believable*, I enjoy going through stories looking for a good one (even though I had to suffer the bad ones, of course)

2) the yaoi fangirl in me love it a lot when the male character(s) in the story started falling for the crossdressing boy XD 'nuff said

3) some of them are toally CRACK. Like this one where the male lead was turn into female (literally) with an alien drug to make him/her his bride! XD I like reading crazy stories like that, 'cos it's fun and it's so Out There (TM)

4) there's a lot of funny predicaments that the crossdressing person will get into! Most of them are so hilarious, others just plain mind-boggling
Apr 15, 2011 12:15 PM
Apr 2011
It's hilarious when a guy pretends to be/becomes a girl and everyone finds out about it. Plus those Japanese are really good at coming up with good stories about just about anything.
Gender benders can be some of the best stories you'll find!!
Apr 24, 2011 11:21 AM

Dec 2010
I just always wanted to be girl.
Jun 4, 2011 2:07 PM

Mar 2010
Its is really interesting to see a girl disguise her self :D
Jul 9, 2011 10:54 AM

Dec 2009
Purple said:
Cause I really like it when they review their secret XD
And yeah, the reactions of the people around the crossdressing character are funny XD

The same reason :)
Jul 26, 2011 1:50 PM

Dec 2007
Most everything I would have said has been said already in this thread, so I'll just say gender benders give me the freedom to enjoy something I can't have in real life. That means a lot to me.
Nov 20, 2011 7:24 PM

Oct 2011
I think it's absolutely hilarious. A lot of the art is good, too.

This love for Hirasawa Yui consumes me, washing over my dirty weeaboo body with a cleansing warmth that allows me to reach greater heights. It inspires me to be a better man; not the man they deserve, but the man she deserves. Yui, I love you. With everything I have. You are my one, my only. Mai waifu.
Nov 25, 2011 7:21 PM
Mar 2011
That picture is slightly disturbing, lol.
Dec 16, 2011 4:23 PM

May 2011
because it is interesting.....

“Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short and wear shirts and boots because it’s okay to be a boy; for girls it’s like promotion. But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, according to you, because secretly you believe that being a girl is degrading.”—Ian McEwan, The Cement Garden (1978)
Jul 9, 2014 10:37 PM
Jun 2014
ill be honest i origanaly hated the idea of cross dressing or gender bender stories and animes but that changed when i actually watched some animes that contained cross dressing or gender bender themes to them after watching a few i kinda got hooked to the funny situations they got into. (and as well with the gender bender thing i also got to think on how the other half lives if you can understand that)
]
Dec 1, 2014 3:26 AM
Mar 2014
For me it originally started with a fascination with the female body. What would it be like have such a body? But it wasn't just having the body, it was the transformation into it, how it happened, why it happened, who did it, why they did, the thoughts going through the persons head. Now it's evolved past that, expanding to include crossdressers, traps, etc. I love it when gender stereotypes are bent, when a boy is so cute he makes men want him or a girl so manly girls want her. Or simply when people are able to cross genders, to see what the other side is like.
But when it all boils down to it, that's all its, a fascination. and a fetish ;D
all alone...
May 26, 2015 1:42 AM

Apr 2015
I'm transgender (nonbinary...) and its hard to find actual stories about actual trans people in media. These kinds of stories about crossdressing and gender-bending end up being really relatable to the trans experience, even if that's not actually what they're about. Actually, the thing that made me question my gender identity to begin with was a crossdressing character...
Feb 28, 2017 5:18 AM
Feb 2017
I Like Because I'm Abnormal :D
Dec 7, 2017 11:33 AM
Jul 2015
I like it because character goes through a physical transformation into the opposite sex. I would love to be transformed into a woman.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Any gender bending/gender swapping Anime/Manga we've missed? ( 1 2 3 )

gibberishly - Mar 31, 2009

116 by taflinder »»
Feb 8, 2022 10:23 PM

Sticky: » Organized List

BlasianAngel - Dec 5, 2009

24 by EggsLeggs »»
Oct 3, 2020 2:03 PM

» Looking for manga that involves different gender expressions

CaerbannogRabbit - Dec 26, 2016

0 by CaerbannogRabbit »»
Dec 26, 2016 11:30 AM

» who is still checking this club?

raisane - Mar 23, 2012

8 by Tamaki_Souh »»
May 28, 2016 10:35 AM

» What is this vid?

MysteryFan89 - Aug 22, 2013

2 by MysteryFan89 »»
Jan 24, 2014 10:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.