Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 11, 2008 12:05 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought this movie was OK, but definitely geared towards children. I mean, it's imaginative, but I found it kind of hard to stay interested in the movie at some points.

Also, I don't know if any of you have seen Hayao Miyazaki's "Gake no Ue no Ponyo", but both movies have quite a few similarities in the stories.
Dec 31, 2009 3:14 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
sniW said:
Also, I don't know if any of you have seen Hayao Miyazaki's "Gake no Ue no Ponyo", but both movies have quite a few similarities in the stories.
I definitely agree. Especially with the flooding!

Very cute and I enjoyed watching it most of the time :)

7/10
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 12, 2010 9:19 AM
Jul 2018
While I won't recommend this to anyone over 8, I thought it was fun, cute and has this lingering uplifting feeling akin to Totoro and Ponyo. I also give it the props for being educational for kids with its promoting of compassion, friendship, self-reliance and caring for elderly and younger children
removed-userSep 12, 2010 10:29 AM
Sep 28, 2010 6:47 AM
Mar 2010
Well, that theme song will be stuck in my head for the next week.

Enjoyed this far too much. Papa's English voice was especially hilarious. I have no idea what kind of accent he was trying to put on, but his blissful ignorance fit the character so well.
Feb 27, 2016 12:51 PM

May 2012
Decent first start, let's see what's next.
Apr 21, 2018 9:26 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
This little movie is kind of interesting when you take into account that Miyazaki was very interested in adapting Pipi Longstocking into a movie of the same ilk. Kinda sad that vision never came into fruition but I'd like to think this was his first draft idea of her kind of character.

It's a cute little movie. Obviously for kiddos but lighthearted and really in the mind set of a child and sentient panda bears.
Dec 22, 2018 4:43 PM

Oct 2015
I loved Panny, Papanda and Mimiko family setting it was weird but it definitely worked. I loved the part where they save Panny from drowning in the dam, Mimiko sure was a brave girl in diving there and Papanda was strong to close it.

The other part that I found interesting was when they chased Panny throughout the school yard and was covered in Curry. I found it funny and heart warming to me, forming a family with such members was something else. I wonder though, where did Papanda worked?

7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 23, 2021 10:32 AM
Aug 2020
Oh the nostalgia… I remember when I watched this long ago on a rented library DVD. I had a hard time ignoring Mimiko’s strong resemblance to Pippi Longstocking.

Now it is quite mind blowing to know that was exactly the intention, as those designs were leftovers from Miyazaki’s cancelled Pippi movie! 😮
Apr 5, 2023 6:48 PM

Sep 2008
Young girl spends the opening going around town flashing her panties and telling everyone she is home all alone, later acquires a new daddy who gives her a baby.
Jan 4, 11:39 AM

Aug 2022
Really cute :) Feels somewhat similar to Totoro. Will watch the second film tommorow.
Feb 10, 12:27 PM
Mar 2019
Reminded me of " The Tiger who came to tea " sort of.
Easy to watch.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Panda Kopanda Episode 2 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Feb 27, 2016

6 by bushman66 »»
Feb 10, 12:30 PM

» Now available on R2 DVD

wrrlykam - Aug 19, 2009

2 by wrrlykam »»
Sep 26, 2011 12:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.