Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 4, 2019 7:57 AM

Jun 2016
As much as I like how Hordy is a warped version of Arlong's ideals, the guy is making me annoyed. How does he lack so much empathy that he can be so cruel to kill his own allies and fellow fishmen like this? The human cruelty makes sense but that needs a good reason... Like I said once, I think Arlong was brutal but turned to a monster after Tiger died. He still sailed with a captain preaching unity until then, it was then he split off from the crew to pursue new ideals. Even then he was never this bad. Hordy idealized Arlong, this time it proved it canonically, at least I think, as it showed him literally looking up at Arlong over those words "when I was a kid everyone looked up at him". But somewhere along the line he's felt he's surpassed Arlong and took to this approach, he thinks that he learned from him and evolved. Rather than taking his crew out and changing the world themselves like Arlong tried, he's starting by violently overthrowing the government and facistly forcing all to be like minded and cruel.

He honestly reminds me of Crocodile. Yet, if I think Crocodile was quite tight lipped and wanted to overthrow Alabasta so he could get a super weapon and use that power for his own interests. His reasoning always sat on might is right and it was always about him, at least if I recall it's been awhile(I really need to re-experience that arc). Hordy acts similarly, when disrespected he lashes out and he gloats about his power. But Hordy does all of these Crocodile-like actions while preaching that it's for a good cause. That, in a sense it's righteous and those who fight against them deserve death. Yet, I don't think Hordy is acting for fishman interest, he's instead acting on hatred of humans alone. Nothing else explains how he was so willing to use one of his allies as a human shield, and if Dosun's fear was justified then he would have let Dosun go as a toll of their fight. He's passionate about this and certainly hateful, but if he had to frame a human for killing Otohime then he's simply perpetuating his views..

I didn't really get why Sharley gloated to Hordy that he won't be the one to destroy the island. Perhaps to stall for time. Perhaps because she acted first and didn't think about the consequences. Or perhaps because Oda wanted to reveal she is Arlong's sister and give us that line of dialogue "What do you have against me? I'm not like your brother". Either way it's interesting.

As for why Hordy was trying to break Shirahoshi, he couldn't have just been doing so as a narcissistic Crocodile-ian tactic for handling people not obeying him despite how cruel it was because his whole thing is about killing her so her super mega death power won't come out. He had to have been trying to trigger it, right? That or he lost his brains in a heated moment. However, Shirahoshi responded quite interestingly, "I knew".

Then Decken of course. When he mentioned the ship Noah I went, "OH, when fishman island is 'destroyed' they will use that like Noah's ark to reach safety. Although since it was made a long time ago, it must have some more specificities possibly involving "Joy Boy". But then, he decided to toss a ship the size of half of the island directly on top of the plaza. So, who knows.. Either way, don't you love when villains conflict with each other? Overall Decken too confuses me. So, he initially wanted Shirahoshi's power and being dumb he used circular logic of: I want her power for my ancestors dreams- so I must marry her- but she's too young- they have something to age her up instantly- but to get that I must marry her. It seemed to be all about her power. But somewhere along the line it turned into a sick yandere love.. Why the heck would he want her dead? Wouldn't that damn his ancestors dream, the thing he started to pursue her for. She's like one in a thousand years mermaid or something. Hordy and Decken are an interesting duo for sure.
Dec 4, 2020 11:56 PM
Aug 2020
Bruh Noah gonna reck all of fishman island
Dec 31, 2020 5:27 AM

May 2016
The people of Fishman Island are going through the most despairful ordeal ever but their faith in their queen have not yet faltered! No matter how many absurdly powerful water shots Hordy throws at them, Luffy will come and save the day!

Jun 4, 2021 9:05 AM

Jun 2019
Hordy accepted that he killed Otohime.
Aug 18, 2021 9:22 PM

Aug 2021
The trap was so lame to get caught into

Hordy is the killer of otohime
Apr 12, 2023 2:35 PM
Jan 2017
Jinbei so fucking useless and stupid
Jun 1, 2023 6:55 PM
Feb 2022
Lo que me sorprende mas no fue que Hody matara a la reina, sino que Shirahoshi lo sabia. Además Shyarly es la hermana de Arlong 😱.
Jun 27, 2023 6:36 PM
Jan 2019
Sloooooooooooooooow
Jun 30, 2023 10:10 AM
Oct 2019
See, i knew it was Hordy Jones that kill Otohime.
This fcking bastard.

I didn't expect plot twist from Shirahoshi.
Dec 19, 2023 6:56 AM

Mar 2017
And the least surprising confession of all time award goes to Fishman Hordy. Lol.

I can’t believe Shirahoshi, Megalo and Jinbei got caught in such a lame trap. Surely Jinbei would have had the sense to dodge that one by jumping off Megalo. From Jinbei vs Luffy, to Jinbei getting captured, this arc is getting pretty frustrating.
bingamu85Dec 19, 2023 7:00 AM
Jun 12, 1:35 PM

Dec 2022
man oh man the snail pace of the amime really makes the heavy ass drama land with impact
also some very big LONG term foreshadowing at the end there
Jul 18, 10:08 AM

Jun 2017
& here it came turning it into a silly soap opera .
Jul 26, 11:58 AM

Mar 2016
The Hordy reveal was completely unsurprising. Only difference that I didn't already have an idea of was that he actually did it himself rather than the pirate kill her.

This circumstantial writing though is becoming beyond a joke now that it feels like filler. After all tht moaning Jinbei did, he allows himself to get cught so easily after Shirahoshi is somehow duped by a pathetic balloon. Just about every victory Hordy and his crew have achieved so far have been because of cheap writing to force the Strawhats into a lose scenario. Taking the steroids when they start losing as a miracle cure, Usopp missing his throw of the bubble coral to Zoro so he would have to pass out, Jinbei being a stubborn ass and wasting precious time he and/or Luffy could be using to stop Hordy/save his crew.

Also felt nothing toward Sharley being shot by Hordy. Still acting the big shot saying that it was Luffy she saw in her pre-vision and not Hordy. Bitch, this entire situation is happening because of you! You are the one that enabled this to happen.

Hordy really supports the over-arching story being told here and there have been interesting world-building lore points through this arc. However, him and his officiers have been making victories too much on luck over demonstrating actual strength against their opponents (at least those that weren't tied down...literally in the palace).

Really hope the next arc has better pacing and writing of the specific conflict. Because while Fishmen Island has teased with a lot of elements to come, as the first arc conflict post time-skip it has been an utter let down thusfar :(
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1120 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Sep 21

48 by PrimeX »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 698 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LunyRem - Jun 20, 2015

73 by GT1Studios »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Would you prefer that One Piece to be a seasonal anime or a long-running anime ?

KingSunWukong - Sep 25

20 by Cielord »»
9 hours ago

» Generation xerox

28012001 - 10 hours ago

0 by 28012001 »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1098 Discussion

AhriTheS3xyFox - Mar 23

48 by Atlas77 »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.