Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 26, 2014 10:20 AM

Dec 2014
Now, I don't think this episode was as bad as most people see it. It made no sense, sure, but the last scene was rather touching in a way, albeit a bit awkward to watch (Though hearing Mahoro say "Dirty Thoughts are Bad" for one last time really made me smile). In my opinion the worst Gainax ending was the one for Panty and Stocking, because not only was it nonsensical but it pissed me off. (Then again I have to see it again since my memories on it are rather slim)

The Mahoro suffocation scene from Episode 12 offended more than this episode ever did. That scene actually made me rank Mahoromatic 2 lower than the first season. (But only slightly, both seasons are still really good no matter what people say about it)
Jul 8, 2015 3:05 PM
May 2015
I almost cried a little. Almost. I JUST finished it a few minutes ago. I have this really heavy feeling in my heart. I really didn't expect the anime to end like this, but in a way, that's good because I'm tired of the typical harem ending where they all live happily ever after as friends and potential lovers to the main character. But it still feels sorta bad.

Like a bad aftertaste, now I have to find a way to get it out of my system. Part of me did want a cute little typical ending but the other part was glad for the surprise.

Surreal, I watched this to escape reality, but the anime especially this last episode really got to me. That the sunny days, that the friends and love ones, all the fun little moments, are just that, a moment, a fleeting moment that could just all disappear before we know it. That we should appreciate what we have when we can have them.

Damn I feel like crying again, I want to call my parents and tell them I love them. Maybe it's the pills talking.

Need to watch another anime fast.........
Sep 23, 2015 4:32 PM
Jun 2013
wtf so the teacher took care of herself that well. so suguru has some saint in him from his mom. ummm that ending was odd. I read about the manga and it at least shows what everyone was up to. Though both manga and the anime have odd ways of bringing back mahoro. Manga was her being born somehow again and the anime just has her pop out of nowhere. I think if the anime would of ended with him on earth and everyone getting back together then it would of been better. since the last scene was just a voiced flashback.
souledge94Sep 23, 2015 5:12 PM
Feb 19, 2016 11:38 AM
Nov 2015
this is my first time commenting here in MAL because i am very much frustrated about this ending. It really went downhill from a seemingly superb anime.

I understand that the manga is still on going when S2 is already about to end and Gainax-Shaft wants to give this anime series a good ending. But instead, they seem to rushed things up and not thinking it through giving the people a dismay..

Not spoiling myself, I was hoping the OVA, tadaima okaeri, is like the re-imagined ending but no. they should have made the true ending from the manga at this point since the manga has long ended. It's already 2016 and I am betting they wouldn't do this in the foreseeable future.

Anyway, off to read the manga now to get this sheesh out of my head.
Apr 4, 2016 3:55 AM
Mar 2016
Honestly, I loved this show. Wouldn't mind if they brought it back again!
Jul 5, 2016 2:45 PM

Jul 2015
I did not like the way the series ended, I just didn't like what Suguru had become, sort of a bitter loser, or the way he looked either, all of the appeal of his character sort of vanished. He was very brave at the end of Mahoromatic 1, by the end of Mahoromatic SMB he became a dark type of android hunter, I just didn't like his transformation. Even the teacher didn't want to get it on with him anymore. Also, I wondered what happened to Minawa and Saguru's friends as well.
Jul 13, 2016 3:05 PM
Mar 2016
PeppermintHearts said:
I did not like the way the series ended, I just didn't like what Suguru had become, sort of a bitter loser, or the way he looked either, all of the appeal of his character sort of vanished. He was very brave at the end of Mahoromatic 1, by the end of Mahoromatic SMB he became a dark type of android hunter, I just didn't like his transformation. Even the teacher didn't want to get it on with him anymore. Also, I wondered what happened to Minawa and Saguru's friends as well.

Read the manga. The anime does the ending no justice at all.
Oct 23, 2016 6:22 AM

Dec 2014
I agree that the manga's ending feels very grand and conclusive, there's something about the ending to this that I like and I dunno what it is.

Though part of me hopes that Suguru was really dying and that it was just a apparition of Mahoro being left behind by Matthew, to give him something to die happy by. I say this only because of how dark the episode felt, but if it was happy it wouldn't really do it for me (Though I could see if they did it like that)
Jun 3, 2017 8:09 PM

Feb 2014
He really got ugly.

Anyway, wtf was all that.

I could have watched just episodes 01, 10 to 14. The others were all boring 'fillers'. I almost dropped it.
and wtf it became when started to develop the story.

Disappointing

4-5/10
Jun 19, 2019 3:32 AM
Feb 2018
Felt like a totally different show... totally disjointed from episode 13. While the end of 13 felt a little off, this just doesn't make any sense. Should of just never had an episode 14. You don't see many of the old characters anymore, Minawa, their friends. Idk... just too odd.
Jun 11, 2020 3:53 AM

Feb 2019
The ending totally destroyed this show not gonna lie.Okay so you killed a character only to be brought back to life WTF that's stupid though it's true that Saints technology probably had it's way to bring someone back to life BUT after 20 fucking year WTF .no offense i like happy ending IF it make a fucking sense.

Better check out the manga though to wash this bitter taste out of my mouth.
"Rating are for Casul"

"While masterpiece are for Pleb"

"But shit taste is enlightenment"

"Go watch School Days you Weebs"
Dec 19, 2021 11:35 PM

May 2012
Can't say I was a fan of the ending. The whole episode just kinda felt out of place. Great anime overall at least. Dunno how the manga did it, but it sounds like it's a little different (or explained better?) so I might have to pick that up someday.
Jan 24, 2022 7:36 PM

Nov 2010
It was cool to see Suguru growing up into a badass hitman.

Damn, lucky Suguru. Mahoro came back and she'll forever look like a teenager. I also need a waifu that never grows old and stays cute forever! hehe

Anyway, cliché ending. I would've preferred a bittersweet ending. 7/10
Apr 15, 2022 2:23 AM

Jan 2021
What the F was all that? It's an ending, I guess, but for me the series ended at episode 12 of season 1. This whole second season felt like a completely different show. The animation quality was noticeably worse, the ecchi was greatly reduced, and the tone was absolutely all over the place with the first 9 episodes being just goofy comedic nonsense only to do a complete 180 the last few episodes to turn into some serious drama. You go from people whacking each other with foam weapons to knock a flower off their head to presidential assassinations and people lying in pools of their own blood. Pick one direction and go with it. Outside of the kiss on the beach there really was no tender moments unlike season one where even the ghost episode was really heartwarming but also sort of sad.

The end of episode 13 with the beach battle felt like a rehash of Mahoro and Ryuga's climactic fight in season one. I felt like her fight with Ryuga made sense as he was part of Mahoro's past that came back to haunt her and she had to put it to rest, but this guy she fought, this Feldrans, she had no connection with. We didn't need an Illuminati-like villain for the season. Mahoro conquered her war torn past at the end of season 1, can't this poor girl just live out her last few days in peace? I went into this season expecting just a cute slice of life show as she does daily things and makes more friends and got anything but that. The whole countdown that permeated the series suddenly goes from half a year to zero and then she just up and suicides anyway, only to poof back into existence 20 years later around Jupiter? I can't even believe I just typed that sentence. I was looking forward the whole time since s1e1 to see how Mahoro would die, or if she would be saved, and this is certainly not what I was expecting. Her blowing up to take out a minor piss ant like Feldrans is pretty lame. He was not "final boss" material. The image of phantom Mahoro hugging the Earth was pretty touching, but was it too much to ask to just let her live her last few months in peace and pass quietly with friends? We could've still had that same nice final image. I don't know why they felt the need to make everything so bombastic with government conspiracies and shootouts as the finale. It felt very End of Evangelion-y, in more ways than one. If anything, making her come back as a copy, or clone, or whatever it was just cheapens her sacrifice on the beach. I liked what someone above said, that it was Suguru's delusion as he was wounded and presumably dying. Overall between her suicide and re-appearance, the concepts aren't necessarily bad but I just didn't like the execution. Both felt pretty underwhelming. In fact a lot of what pertained to Mahoro this season did, like her revealing to Suguru what she did to his father. That should've been a whole episode after so much build up but they handwaved it in a brief 15 second scene. It felt rushed despite having 14 episodes to work with.

And speaking of, Minawa was a complete dead end that didn't add anything to the story. The theme of an android girl "finding her heart" could have just been accomplished via Mahoro expanding her relationship with Suguru. Instead, most of the season focused on Minawa and Mahoro got sidelined in her own show. Not to mention the last two episodes Minawa just disappeared entirely like even the writers didn't know what else to do with her. Multiple episodes were building up to her and that classmate having a relationship and it just ends with no resolution.

As for this episode, I thought the saddest part was seeing what became of Suguru, how he was cursing Mahoro, saying she only made his life miserable and betrayed him. It sort of hurt to see her regarded in this way after all they had been through. In a way he'd almost have been better off dying on that beach so he wouldn't have had to endure 20 years of suffering and turning into the bitter person he became and having to live such a rough life, including becoming part cyborg himself. It's hard to reconcile that image of him with the kid with all the friends who were celebrating Christmas together just a few episodes earlier. But I guess that's why it hits home more, because you can see people like that in real life, homeless people who I'm sure many of which had good childhoods but ended up in bad times, and people who never emotionally recovered from a trauma. This part was quite sad to see, even more so than Mahoro's death, so it was well done even if the episode was very bizarre. I didn't like this season as a whole, but I will give them credit for having the balls to try something this experimental and different. Was Mahoro the right anime to do that for? Not in my opinion but it's 20 years too late to change that so whatever. At least I still have season 1 to enjoy. Though I do wish they had put the same level of care into season 2, fixed the abrupt tonal shifts, adjusted the pacing, given more time to important scenes and less to the irrelevant wacky ones. I don't know how closely this followed the manga so maybe their hands were tied in where the story needed to go, but it could've got there a little smoother imo.
Shrimp_TailApr 15, 2022 5:06 PM
May 20, 2022 7:45 PM

Sep 2008
I just rewatched this series after like 15 years and this ending is sooo bad, it's very bad. I have no idea what Gainax was thinking when they created it. They should have adapted the real ending (manga ending) instead of making up their own and turning the conclusion of the story into a piece of garbage.
Sep 18, 2022 12:41 PM

Sep 2016
funny to be a contrarian on this but, no kidding, this was an unexpectedly amazing final episode! like, just some genuinely amazing stuff that I could have in no way expected this series to pull off. I think mahoromatic had some really weird tonal dissonance and some of the episodes were just super spotty and annoying tropey shit, but I'm just glad I pulled through it and got to see this something this kino. and well, for sure, mahoro returning right at the end was really cheesy, but almost everything else about these past 3 episodes just had some really tight and focused artistic direction. man, now I just really want a whole series of grown up techno wanderer suguru..
Nov 21, 2023 6:12 PM

Dec 2022
Bizarre final episode that barely contextualises anything. Not sure how to feel about this anime as a whole anyway, so maybe it's fitting in that regard.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoromatic 2 Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2013

7 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 21, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Mahoromatic 2 Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2013

6 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 21, 2023 5:17 PM

Poll: » Mahoromatic 2 Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2013

7 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 21, 2023 4:41 PM

Poll: » Mahoromatic 2 Episode 10 Discussion

Dunkjoe - Jun 22, 2010

7 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 21, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Mahoromatic 2 Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2013

5 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 21, 2023 2:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.