Forum Settings
Forums

Thoughts on series that are so good and their rewatch values

New
Feb 21, 2012 8:43 AM

Jun 2008
Here's the problem I found with rewatching.

Usually we re-watch is because we thought the anime was good, or that we failed to understand something.

But sometimes there comes an anime that are so good, that has plot changes so profound, that rewatching it while knowing what will happen will only downplay the effect.

I can't remember the last time I re-watched something, because the first time around was always the best one, because I didn't know what will happen next.

I noticed many people do re-watch it, doesn't the second time around feel less awesome than the first?

It depends on the series. A series like TTGL doesn't lower any less feeling of awesomeness because even knowing what the end will be, the progress has enough adrenaline rushes to overcome this.

But a series like Steins;Gate which I just finished, where the story wins in terms of progressively developing changes through the lack of action and lack of over-the-top jokes, I would surely feel less into it the second time around.

Does anyone share similar thoughts or contrasting thoughts to their anime series?
TachiiFeb 21, 2012 4:26 PM
Feb 21, 2012 8:53 AM

Jun 2010
i suppose i understand what u mean. anything tends to lose its effect after seeing it so many times and it becomes predictable since u know what's gonna happen. the same can be said about movies also. like sad moments aren't as powerful as compared to the first time if u watched them more than once. but there are times when no matter how times u watch it, its just as powerful as the first time and that's where the re-watch value comes into play.
Feb 21, 2012 9:11 AM

Nov 2011
I never re-watch anything which was very good because of the plot. I won't feel the enjoyment of guessing what will happen next and shocked with unexpected events.
I never re-watch the whole series because I always make sure I understand the episode before continuing. If something confused me I would repeat the scenes until I get a grip.

Out of anime context, I tried re-watching The Dark Knight because I like the Joker in the movie but in the end I wasn't excited at all since I knew what was going to happen.

"Life is always a continuation of unpreparedness" - Evangline A.K. McDowell
Feb 21, 2012 9:20 AM

Oct 2011
I never re-watch anime. I know what's going to happen, I've already seen it, etc.
I would rather have a new experience than relive an old one. Tends to be more interesting.
Maybe when I really forget a lot about an anime or just really start missing it, I'll re-watch it. In fact, maybe I'll re-watch Lucky Star... I miss Konata and the others too much T.T
I see dead people.
Feb 21, 2012 9:25 AM

Feb 2008
I don't re-watch anime unless it's been absolutely YEARS since I've seen it (like Tokyo Mew Mew, that I've been watching here and there for the past few months, or Urusai Yatsura that I need to get around to re-watching, since I haven't seen it in well over a decade). Or if it's the first two seasons of Digimon. I'm almost constantly re-watching some of those episodes, it's a good thing to do in my down-time when I'm doing something else.

But for everything else, no matter how great it was, I won't re-watch it because I've seen it before. I may not remember all the little details, but it'll come right back to me after I see the first episode anyway.
Anime figure reviews:
Feb 21, 2012 9:43 AM

Sep 2010
As someone who has rewatched most of his 10s and 9s and some of his 8s, I can say that my views are contrasting. Granted, series without a coherent plot, are easier to rewatch, especially slice of life comedies…but I can still watch a show again, that relies a lot on its story.

Of course plot twists won’t be awe-inducing the second time around, but a story that only relies on plot twists isn’t a good story (Yes, M. Night Shyamalan, I am looking at you). A good story will let you position yourself differently and let you enjoy the show with a different perspective. Knowing what happens can really add to experience, if you let it…

If someone tells me an epic story, then I would still find the story epic the second time I hear it. Like food and music, a story doesn’t lose all its value just because I consumed it once; too much and I might get sick of it though…
Feb 21, 2012 3:19 PM

Jul 2008
For me, I never re-watch a series while I still remember everything. I let some time pass and watch it, let some time pass, and then watch it again. And again. I love to re-watch, I think that some anime just get's better with time. Sure, some might not get better, might even get worse. But I think that's more to do with my taste changing, and less to do with the anime itself.
Feb 21, 2012 3:28 PM

Feb 2010
I'm always rewatching anime. I'm rewatching Higurashi right now as I go along in the VN. Time usually doesn't matter to me.
Feb 21, 2012 3:33 PM

Jun 2010
I rewatch anime sometimes. I tend to only think about rewatching an anime I really liked when it's been awhile since I've seen it last, and I like to rewatch them because I notice new things and certain things that happen become clearer when I see it again, I get a better understanding of it.
Feb 21, 2012 4:20 PM

Sep 2010
Who needs to rewatch anime when we can repost already existing topics.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=369121

Feb 21, 2012 4:21 PM

Sep 2011
I'm going to re-watch both Toradora! and Zero no Tsukaima when they both fade from my memory. (which is probably never) ;-;
Feb 21, 2012 4:31 PM
May 2010
Ive re-watched Fate/Stay Night twice and Seitokai no Ichizon 3 or 4 times and thats about it. The problem for me being that the series I find that good are things I will absolutely not forget, and anything not that good will be forgotten but I wont want to re-watch it either.

Generally speaking though, I cant rewatch anime. An individual episode every now and again at most, or pure comedy shows if I am really really bored.

Strangely enough, I only have this issue with anime. I can rewatch movies(LOTR for example) re-read books any numbers of times(there are many series I have read 10 or more times) I have no idea why its specific to anime, but it is.
Worships Asparagus.
Feb 21, 2012 4:36 PM

Jun 2008
Anime_Name said:
Who needs to rewatch anime when we can repost already existing topics.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=369121
There, I changed my topic title.

I was really hoping for less 'name your anime' than some discussion about people's thoughts on the subject.

mljato said:
As someone who has rewatched most of his 10s and 9s and some of his 8s, I can say that my views are contrasting. Granted, series without a coherent plot, are easier to rewatch, especially slice of life comedies…but I can still watch a show again, that relies a lot on its story.

Of course plot twists won’t be awe-inducing the second time around, but a story that only relies on plot twists isn’t a good story (Yes, M. Night Shyamalan, I am looking at you). A good story will let you position yourself differently and let you enjoy the show with a different perspective. Knowing what happens can really add to experience, if you let it…

If someone tells me an epic story, then I would still find the story epic the second time I hear it. Like food and music, a story doesn’t lose all its value just because I consumed it once; too much and I might get sick of it though…
This only happened with me for Lord of the Rings.

The trilogy was so epic, that even after rewatching it 3 times, I still want to rewatch it sometime this year again. But the thing is, the rewatch value of LotR is because of its remarkable setting, fight scenes, the presentation value.

However I pretty much brushed off about plot progression and character development (Frodo and Sam's development was especially important the first time around.) I think this is common in most of my rewatch experience. I stop caring about character development and plot progression (if I noticed both the first time).

When I say I stopped caring it means the first time around, the impact was so much greater. And the second time around, especially for character development, I just think the initial character was so flawed it's annoying sometimes to even rewatch the beginning.

I think the only fiction that will let me look at the piece in another angle was if the story was confusing the first time around or ambiguous enough for me to see it in different perspectives. AKA Inception, Memento on the top of my head.
Feb 21, 2012 4:55 PM

Sep 2010
I was really hoping for less 'name your anime' than some discussion about people's thoughts on the subject.

Well I'm going to quote myself from the other topic in regards to an anime not packing the same surprise when re-watching.
"Of course it won't. You can never have the first time back but repeated watchings allow people to catch details or nuances they overlooked the first time, which for some can be even better than the first time."

An important part of understanding why some people re-watch shows is to stop assuming that everyone stops caring as easily as you do.

Feb 21, 2012 5:01 PM

Sep 2009
The only anime I've ever rewatched was FLCL because it's so short and wonderful. Besides, the first time I watched it was about three years ago and I just rewatched it this month. So I had forgotten a lot of the events that went on.

Oh, and Death Note. I watched it in its entirety maybe two years ago, then just this past month my friend wanted me to watch it with him. So I re-watched about 2/3 of that series as well...definitely doesn't have the same effect as watching it the first time.
Feb 21, 2012 5:01 PM

Jun 2011
You have an anime you enjoyed so much it returned 100 points of enjoyment per 22 minutes, and the average anime gives you 60 points of enjoyment.. you have to work out if rewatching that anime is +EEV (expected enjoyment value)

if time spent doing nothing is equal to 0 points of enjoyment per 22 minutes, by watching anime you already have a +EEV, but A strong anime watcher will try to maximize their return of enjoyment, by ensuring an above average EEV on their invested time... by getting as close to 100 points as possible for 22 minutes of their time.

You need to work out the loss of enjoyment points as a result of rewatching, as you wont be guarenteed 100 points the second time around... this is where you need to create a constant "rewatchability" factor. using a scale of 1-10 (or 0.1 to 1), and converting the expected rewatchability factor into a decimal, you can multiply that factor by the initial figure of enjoyment. To have a SAFE guarenteed +EEV on your 100 point anime, it will need to have a rewatchability factor of 0.6+,
(assuming your average points per 22 minutes is 60)

The hard part is creating the rewatchability factor. an example of something that would increase the factor is an anime where most events were predictable from the start, and you still enjoyed it. another one would be space in time when you last watched it. plost twists and unexpected events decrease the factor.

This is why rewatching of an anime is a safe long term investment of time, if you rewatch the right anime. Watching a new anime, (even considering that you choose your anime based on things that you enjoy most)... may still be an unsafe investment of time, due to the fact that your average is still 60 points per 22 minutes, which has been formulated from anime chosen in the past using the same methods.

Obviously you must also watch new anime, when you have already recently rewatched all anime with a high EEV of rewatching, thus decreasign their rewatch factor for a peroid of time thereafter.

TL;DR:

Rewatch anime if you dunno what else to watch
Feb 21, 2012 7:42 PM

Dec 2010
mljato said:

I agree with this. A story isn't only amazing because of unexpected plot twists.. there's so much more to it than that, and a lot of the time, in fact every time, you'll pick up on certain key elements that you had no idea existed before hand. It really does entirely depend on the anime though... It really has to be one of your favorites in my opinion for you to enjoy rewatching it
Feb 21, 2012 7:53 PM

Mar 2011
I think that it is much easier to watch certain episodes of a good anime than to rewatch the entire anime itself. If there are certain parts of the story that I enjoyed more, I wouldn't waste my time watching the other parts that were not critical to the part of the series that I was watching. Like the OP's example with LoTR, yeah I like the whole series, but if I feel like watching The Two Towers (which is my favorite of the three) then I'm not going to take the time to sit all the way through the Fellowship first, I'll just skip ahead to the part that I like.

So what I am trying to say here is that I'm sure it is very possible to feel just as much enjoyment when you watch a favorite part of a series a second time around, but perhaps not as much for the series as a whole. Although I'm sure this varies as well from person to person and anime to anime.
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Feb 21, 2012 8:04 PM

Nov 2011
I understand what you're talking about. It really seems that rewatching it would be a waste of time, and that it wouldn't feel as great as the first run, but you won't know until you do it. Also depends heavily on what's the anime you're about to rewatch. While some aren't half as exciting as the first time...

There are some anime that are really worthy rewatching, because you'll see it from a different angle, and feel different emotions, look at the very scenes in a very different way. I remember that I didn't find Madoka Magica to be very emotional on the first time I watched, but I rewatched it recently and it felt completely different. I didn't pay much attention to Madoka this time (what I should have done since the first time) and foccused on the other girls. It felt completely different, and in a very good way.

I've rewatched only four anime so far. Full Metal Panic! wasn't half as good as the "first run". Code Geass and Death Note stayed as good as the first one, they didn't lose their appeal at all. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica managed to be even better than the first one, even if it looks almost impossible for it to be better, it was.

So, I think that the hardest thing about rewatching is gathering the will to do it. I think over and over again "Is it really worth it, wouldn't it be better to watch something new?", but my few experiences weren't bad. If you're feeling like it's been a time since you last watched a really good anime, a few time to rewatch one of your favorites. It's worth it.
「レミ咲が今日のティータイム。」- RemiSaku ga kyou no tea time!
Feb 21, 2012 8:32 PM

Aug 2010
A really good series is one that you can watch over and over, and not only enjoy it every time, but catch new things. I tend not to rematch series, so when I want to rematch a show that's generally a sign that it's VERY good.
Feb 21, 2012 8:39 PM

Jan 2012
Some fools watched episode 12 of School Days over and over and over again. No joke.
---
Feb 21, 2012 10:19 PM

Sep 2010
Well i re-watch sometimes and i have to say that i have had some pretty strong emotions the second and even thrid times around. I think the trick is to not think about what will happen but to loose yourself in the moment. Granted most of the time the impact isnt as good as the first time but if the anime (or any type of show really) is truly good it still can be worth rewatching.
Feb 21, 2012 10:22 PM

Jan 2012
I can't rewatch anime. Maybe a episode here and there, but never the whole series. Waste of my time and I could be using that time to watch other anime.
Feb 22, 2012 2:03 AM

Aug 2011
I rarely rewatch anime - it takes a lot of time, and there is a lot of new anime I want to see. But I always plan on rewatching series that I liked at some point in the future - you just have to let some time pass to "forget" it a little bit.

Rewatch value is a very, very important thing to me. Not only can a great anime be rewatched multiple times - it has to be rewatched to fully appreciate it's greatness. If a series isn't worth rewatching, it probably wasn't worth watching in the first place, IMHO...
Feb 22, 2012 2:16 AM

Aug 2011
NK_500 said:
Some fools watched episode 12 of School Days over and over and over again. No joke.

I'm one of those fools, haha! Not the whole episode, though - only that scenes :D
Feb 22, 2012 2:17 AM

Dec 2011
Tachii said:
Here's the problem I found with rewatching.

Usually we re-watch is because we thought the anime was good, or that we failed to understand something.

But sometimes there comes an anime that are so good, that has plot changes so profound, that rewatching it while knowing what will happen will only downplay the effect.

I can't remember the last time I re-watched something, because the first time around was always the best one, because I didn't know what will happen next.

I noticed many people do re-watch it, doesn't the second time around feel less awesome than the first?

It depends on the series. A series like TTGL doesn't lower any less feeling of awesomeness because even knowing what the end will be, the progress has enough adrenaline rushes to overcome this.

But a series like Steins;Gate which I just finished, where the story wins in terms of progressively developing changes through the lack of action and lack of over-the-top jokes, I would surely feel less into it the second time around.

Does anyone share similar thoughts or contrasting thoughts to their anime series?

Yup, I agree....

Although I enjoy re-watching shows it's never the same as the first time....

Code Geass and Death Note were pretty much the same, but not the Clannad... Yes I always felt the same sadness but I knew what was going to happen and it somehow felt different....

Anime like Bleach and Naruto are not worth rewatching IMO.... Watching it for the first time makes it interesting, but at least for me watching same fights and shit again is boring...
Feb 22, 2012 3:57 AM

Jan 2012
JohnnyStaccato said:
I'm one of those fools, haha! Not the whole episode, though - only that scenes :D

That makes me sad, seriously.

By the way I think Yosuga no Sora is the exact opposite for me. I'm just too powerless to save those twins. They deserved better. Much better.
---
Feb 22, 2012 4:54 AM

Aug 2011
NK_500 said:
JohnnyStaccato said:

That makes me sad, seriously.

By the way I think Yosuga no Sora is the exact opposite for me. I'm just too powerless to save those twins. They deserved better. Much better.

Wait, does Yosuga no Sora have a nice boat ending? If so I might reconsider finishing it - I gave up after 2 episodes.
Feb 22, 2012 5:03 AM

Jan 2012
JohnnyStaccato said:
Wait, does Yosuga no Sora have a nice boat ending? If so I might reconsider finishing it - I gave up after 2 episodes.

No really but it is more ambiguous than School Days' ending. No need to spoil it though but consider that you've already dropped it and so there is no reason for me to explain it in first place.
---
Feb 22, 2012 5:18 AM

Jun 2008
Pocketasces said:
You have an anime you enjoyed so much it returned 100 points of enjoyment per 22 minutes, and the average anime gives you 60 points of enjoyment.. you have to work out if rewatching that anime is +EEV (expected enjoyment value)

if time spent doing nothing is equal to 0 points of enjoyment per 22 minutes, by watching anime you already have a +EEV, but A strong anime watcher will try to maximize their return of enjoyment, by ensuring an above average EEV on their invested time... by getting as close to 100 points as possible for 22 minutes of their time.

You need to work out the loss of enjoyment points as a result of rewatching, as you wont be guarenteed 100 points the second time around... this is where you need to create a constant "rewatchability" factor. using a scale of 1-10 (or 0.1 to 1), and converting the expected rewatchability factor into a decimal, you can multiply that factor by the initial figure of enjoyment. To have a SAFE guarenteed +EEV on your 100 point anime, it will need to have a rewatchability factor of 0.6+,
(assuming your average points per 22 minutes is 60)

The hard part is creating the rewatchability factor. an example of something that would increase the factor is an anime where most events were predictable from the start, and you still enjoyed it. another one would be space in time when you last watched it. plost twists and unexpected events decrease the factor.

This is why rewatching of an anime is a safe long term investment of time, if you rewatch the right anime. Watching a new anime, (even considering that you choose your anime based on things that you enjoy most)... may still be an unsafe investment of time, due to the fact that your average is still 60 points per 22 minutes, which has been formulated from anime chosen in the past using the same methods.

Obviously you must also watch new anime, when you have already recently rewatched all anime with a high EEV of rewatching, thus decreasign their rewatch factor for a peroid of time thereafter.

TL;DR:

Rewatch anime if you dunno what else to watch
Did you get that from somewhere? It looks like some calculation was taken into it.

But yeah, I agree with the summary. If I had no idea what else to do, I'll probably rewatch series. It's just that usually I find jumping into another medium elevates the entertainment value from both media. My current entertainment areas involves Jdramas, anime, video games, novels, and movies. Each has buttloads of things to try out, so I never get bummed with total confusion.
Morbyllan said:
So, I think that the hardest thing about rewatching is gathering the will to do it. I think over and over again "Is it really worth it, wouldn't it be better to watch something new?", but my few experiences weren't bad. If you're feeling like it's been a time since you last watched a really good anime, a few time to rewatch one of your favorites. It's worth it.
This is definitely something I have in mind when I do rewatch. Unfortunately I no longer can make decisions without much thought (but I don't overthink that much).

I guess my situation is such that I don't have the time anymore to rewatch stuff. Hence my opinion on rewatching is pretty low.

More topics from this board

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

Semester1 - Yesterday

61 by TransferUser »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Is reviving characters poor writing?

rohan121 - 3 hours ago

20 by rohan121 »»
14 minutes ago

» Most underrated anime you have seen?

HotHamlet - May 13

44 by BirdyTheMighty »»
18 minutes ago

» Terminator: The Anime Series | Official Announcement

deg - Nov 11, 2023

43 by LenRea »»
20 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

25 by LenRea »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.