Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 18, 2010 1:45 PM

Aug 2006
I appreciate your response and apologize for the sarcastic tone of my previous post. I was in a bad mood because of unrelated events when I typed it and unfortunately it spilled over, though I'd be lying if I didn't mentioned I felt like I had to make a bit of a fuss to get noticed.

I apologize for my comment about the forum mods. It's just that for a long time there has been a severe lack of communication in certain areas, and while it's gotten better with the new mods, it's still not great, so the trigger-happiness is a bit annoying when in my opinion the lack of communication is still there. At any rate, this was not the proper venue to express this, so I'm sorry about that.

I didn't realize that this policy had been in place for a long time, as it seemed to me it was in the most recent addendum to the rules (this one). I suppose I also thought that because I can't ever recall noticing that these "extra chapters" were included in the chapter count before. If that is the case, then I suppose it quells my concerns somewhat, though not really for the right reason.

I'm not sure how much more specific you expect me to get, those are pretty specific statistics. As I said, I was under the impression this was a new change to the rules, so there really isn't much of a problem with them as of right now. Though as I also mentioned in the above paragraph, I think that's more because I've never actually seen this rule being applied than that it wouldn't be a problem if it was.

I realize that the chapter count is not determined by the forum threads. I also realize it would be extremely impractical to give all these "extra chapters" their own entries and I wasn't suggesting that. I just don't see why it's necessary to include them at all, since chapters are not an accurate way to measure the length of a manga in the first place. I have also reported improperly named chapter thread discussion in the past once or twice (granted, this was long before the new mods came) and never received a response. While I'm still not sure I completely agree, I can accept these points until such time as it becomes a problem (hopefully it won't). More than anything, I just wanted a proper response. I don't think it's asking too much to expect someone to take 10 or 20 minutes to give a proper reply when I spent 2 and a half hours researching to present evidence.

Thank you again for your reply, I appreciate it (really, I do). Sorry this became such a wall of text, and I will get out of your hair now. ^^;
Jan 9, 2011 2:08 PM
May 2009
I sort of hate to bother this thread almost a month after the last comment, but... The database guidelines were updated a month and a half ago, but the OELs are still in the database. I realize that the DB mods must have their own lives, but I expected the changes to be made in a week or two. Is there any expected timeframe for the removal of the OELs? I'm just curious.
Feb 23, 2011 4:08 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
They're being removed... at a slow, but steady pace ^^
Mar 5, 2011 9:34 AM

Aug 2007
Me being so late here, are OELs drawn by someone in a place like Japan/Korea/China are getting deleted, too? (so I can start using manga updates for OELs)
Mar 6, 2011 6:06 AM

Aug 2008
I don't even know what that means--comics drawn in English, but published in the US by someone living in Japan? We don't care about where they live, but what audience the work was intended for. For example, if it's not originally published in Japan for a Japanese audience, we don't care if they live there, it's not eligible.
Apr 19, 2011 12:12 AM

Apr 2011
Well, I'm a total newbie who has been trying to get some of the OEL series posted. Sorry I didn't read the guidelines better!
Manga explosion:Read before March 2011 : 20ish
Bought between March and May 2011: 185
Read between March and May 2011: 58
And counting!!

Stop by Pennylane Barbershop. Say hello. A great place to hang and catch up on manga!
Oct 8, 2012 11:42 PM
Dec 2011
OEL manga artists train to be able to draw the style, and they'll never be manga artists because of their race? What does it matter if you call it graphic novel or manga, graphic novel is just an euphemism for comics. So it's not a Japanese comic, but an Western comic inspired by Japanese comics. Dramacon cannot be shoujo even though it's drawn in shoujo style just because it's made by a Canadian-Russian artist? Discrimination, elitism. Dramacon is manga and I want it on my list.

Quote from ch.9 Dramacon:
Lida: So if a non-Japanese person draws it, it’s not manga?
Boy: Exactly! Get it now??
Lida: Applying this logic to something else we all know and love… A pizza is not a pizza unless it’s baked by an Italian in Italy. Yes?
Boy: Manga is not pizza.
Lida: Yes, well, nothing in this world is perfect.
Boy: ARE YOU ALL ****ING STUPID??!!!

Would love for this to change, xoxo.
Oct 8, 2012 11:45 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
@telepop: It's not about race. Two posts above you:
shinkeikaku said:
I don't even know what that means--comics drawn in English, but published in the US by someone living in Japan? We don't care about where they live, but what audience the work was intended for. For example, if it's not originally published in Japan for a Japanese audience, we don't care if they live there, it's not eligible.
Oct 10, 2012 6:39 AM
Dec 2011
That's just a loophole, you've dismissed my entire argument with that single statement, if you don't publish your comic in Japan in Japanese it's not manga.

People are people, and the themes in a comic can be universal. An OEL artist reads manga, appreciates Japanese comics and draws in their style to appeal to the manga reading audience. Asian influenced manga and all Korean webtoons can't be on here, so differences are more important than the underlying concept? What are the advantages of being so conservative and rigid? Will it make your job harder? Also, sorry for being apathetic and disrespectful of the rules and posting on the sticky before. Thank you for your time.
Oct 10, 2012 10:57 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
What makes OEL manga different from American comics? Should all American Comics be in the DB also?

Webtoons are not allowed in the DB because the are web comics and we don't keep track of unpublished web-comics in the DB. Unless you think all web comics from around the world should be in the DB?
Oct 12, 2012 5:20 PM
Dec 2011
Okay I'm not backing down. But now I'm fully realizing it's over before it even started, like some scientists say there's no free will. I'm in the wrong forum, dealing with the wrong people, in the wrong website, going about it in an inefficent way. There will be no sister site just like this one with a bigger database because that would cost a lto of money and time and effort that people won't do for some strangers. And this website to me caters more for the anime viewer. I love how easy you can make a list on here, now if you could only combine that with unlimited titles being OEL's, Korean webcomics from Naver, Cartoons if you want it, why the hell not? I say why say no to the spreading of interests, creativity, commonality. And you know wecomics and manga and some OEL is incredibly easy to read online for free and attract the same crowd, I think they really are all related even if you don't see and matter.
Oct 12, 2012 5:47 PM
Mar 2011
telepop said:
That's just a loophole, you've dismissed my entire argument with that single statement, if you don't publish your comic in Japan in Japanese it's not manga.

People are people, and the themes in a comic can be universal. An OEL artist reads manga, appreciates Japanese comics and draws in their style to appeal to the manga reading audience. Asian influenced manga and all Korean webtoons can't be on here, so differences are more important than the underlying concept? What are the advantages of being so conservative and rigid? Will it make your job harder? Also, sorry for being apathetic and disrespectful of the rules and posting on the sticky before. Thank you for your time.

that like saying all Jim Lee comics are manuha ie should be on this site hes Korean by birth
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 13, 2012 1:57 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
No database can ever be all inclusive. IMDB doesn't list books, librarything doesn't list games, vndb doesn't list manga, etc.etc.

Every database needs to have a scope, and things that don't fit within that scope are excluded. This site is an anime and manga listing site. What is anime and what is manga is determined by the audience the work was intended for. There is nothing racial or unfair or dictatorial about it. We have included Korean and Chinese animation, and by extension, manhwa and manhua in the manga db, based on our community. We've included light novels, but limited it to those tied to the anime and manga industry. We excluded doujin because it was impossible to define quality standards and we would never be close to having a comprehensive database. We have excluded OEL for similar reasons - it is impossible to define a quality standard for what is actually similar to manga and what is really a glorified graphic novel labelled as "manga" to try and increase sales. And our community has very little interest in OEL at all. Furthermore, we do not allow webcomics from Naver any more than we allow Japanese doujin.

In two years, this thread has received less than 4 pages of posts. If the community felt traumatised by not being able to include OEL on their lists, they'd speak louder.

I'll quote myself from the first page as well, in case you didn't read it:
Kineta said:
While I suspect few (if any) will have qualms about the doujin changes, more users may be upset with our decision to remove OEL. I would like you to know that this was not an easy decision and there was an extensive discussion among the staff that lasted for many months. The problem with OEL stems from two key issues. First, much of what is marketed as manga by North American groups, such as TokyoPop, is actually closer to graphic novels than any kind of manga due to style, content, imagery, etc. and it is impossible to write guidelines to only include true OEL series. Second, our anime guidelines specifically restrict any animated media that is not Japanese/Korean/Chinese and FAQs specifically state Avatar is not allowed. As anime is the main target of the site, this demonstrates that OEL is truly outside of our scope. With the current revisions, our anime and manga guidelines are in sync with one another. Other factors certainly played into this decision, but these were two of the key points.
Oct 13, 2012 7:30 AM
Dec 2011
Those reasons just aren't good enough for me. Here's the scope of myanimelist: I read thousands of illegally distributed manga and anime and I loved it, I don't want to forget about it, I want people to know if I liked it or I hated, I want to discuss it, I like this style. And Korean webcomics, OEL’s are that to me. You can talk down to me otherwise but I don't see why you can't bend a little, compromise. Deviantart allows you to express yourself in a lot of different ways, who's to say what is art and what isn't? Who's to say that OEL's aren't manga, webcomics, doujinshi doesn’t work for this site? How many of those are really there? How many voices are being heard? Who’s to say this community has very little interest in OEL and korean webcomics, and expanding the database? This is one threat. I will never understand how Korean webcomics are all that different from manhwa that you do allow. And to think you believe that a person makes an OEL, not because they like their work and manga but to increase their profit. If I like it, I like it, and it's done in manga/manhwa style. It will be hard to have a comprehensive database, yes, but I think the pro of having what you like outweighs that negative.
Oct 13, 2012 7:37 AM
Mar 2011
Kineta said:
No database can ever be all inclusive. IMDB doesn't list books, librarything doesn't list games, vndb doesn't list manga, etc.etc.

Every database needs to have a scope, and things that don't fit within that scope are excluded. This site is an anime and manga listing site. What is anime and what is manga is determined by the audience the work was intended for. There is nothing racial or unfair or dictatorial about it. We have included Korean and Chinese animation, and by extension, manhwa and manhua in the manga db, based on our community. We've included light novels, but limited it to those tied to the anime and manga industry. We excluded doujin because it was impossible to define quality standards and we would never be close to having a comprehensive database. We have excluded OEL for similar reasons - it is impossible to define a quality standard for what is actually similar to manga and what is really a glorified graphic novel labelled as "manga" to try and increase sales. And our community has very little interest in OEL at all. Furthermore, we do not allow webcomics from Naver any more than we allow Japanese doujin.

In two years, this thread has received less than 4 pages of posts. If the community felt traumatised by not being able to include OEL on their lists, they'd speak louder.

I'll quote myself from the first page as well, in case you didn't read it:
Kineta said:
While I suspect few (if any) will have qualms about the doujin changes, more users may be upset with our decision to remove OEL. I would like you to know that this was not an easy decision and there was an extensive discussion among the staff that lasted for many months. The problem with OEL stems from two key issues. First, much of what is marketed as manga by North American groups, such as TokyoPop, is actually closer to graphic novels than any kind of manga due to style, content, imagery, etc. and it is impossible to write guidelines to only include true OEL series. Second, our anime guidelines specifically restrict any animated media that is not Japanese/Korean/Chinese and FAQs specifically state Avatar is not allowed. As anime is the main target of the site, this demonstrates that OEL is truly outside of our scope. With the current revisions, our anime and manga guidelines are in sync with one another. Other factors certainly played into this decision, but these were two of the key points.

one issue i have is i think all Doujin should be in the DB [ only if there Phycial not webcomics]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 18, 2012 9:41 AM
Dec 2011
You'd be doing something unlike any other website is doing, right? Letting maybe all comics, American or otherwise, and all webcomics on here. Because ultimately it's about YOUR list, what you've read and you liked and want to remember.
Oct 19, 2012 12:54 PM
Dec 2011
Why is Annarasumanara on here? Double standard.
Oct 19, 2012 1:18 PM

May 2011
telepop said:
Why is Annarasumanara on here? Double standard.
Naver published it.

telepop said:
You'd be doing something unlike any other website is doing, right? Letting maybe all comics, American or otherwise, and all webcomics on here. Because ultimately it's about YOUR list, what you've read and you liked and want to remember.
MyAnimeList, not MyEverythigIHaveEverReadSeenAndHeardList.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Oct 20, 2012 5:21 PM
Dec 2011
Naver published Baby Finger and it was rejected. Explain to me why it matters what is on someone else's list. At least having an option to put in on your list but it's not on the database, do you know what I mean? That wouldn't be possible?
Nov 3, 2012 5:22 AM
Dec 2011
If mangaupdates has it, why can't MAL?
Nov 3, 2012 6:23 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
MAL is not MU.

If you want a published webcomic on MAL, then submit an add page with a link to the volume being sold in hard print.

You are not contributing to discussion in this thread by giving solutions nor asking questions not already responded to by myself or others. This means, by forum guidelines, that you are spamming this thread. I'm asking you now to please stop.

OEL and OFL will never be re-added to the database. Spamming this thread is not going to change that. American comics are outside of our scope and you have a list on MAL based on our database. If you want to catalogue things we don't - OEL, VNs, games, music, etc. - you can either use your blog or you can use the list on another site. If you want to catalogue everything in the world in one list, then the only option you have is Excel.
Nov 4, 2012 5:04 AM
Dec 2011
Exactly, I knew I was losing with okay then let's put everything on here, then voila, (again?) let the same works on mangaupdates be on here. And I keep on "spamming" so much because I don't think the reasons the way things are is good enough, everything is online now, yet you need hard copies to have it on here, what? And you've had OEL's before but it hasn't worked because... It was too hard to maintain. Anyway it just feels like you have to be a particular sort of person, and if you aren't well oh well whatever, go somewhere else, when there's more similarities then difference. Just because it seems like it shouldn't fit doesn't mean that's so. Alright, you spend so much time maintaining this site, and I'll stop. Delete my account if you want, and there will be no complaints. I won't be needing it anymore. There'll be no loss on your end bay-bee!
Mar 10, 2016 6:08 PM
Mar 2016
Question (Sorry I just started this account, and my english is not great)
why does an anime or manga have to be made by us so it be anime or manga? We don't discriminate anime or manga, if it looks like anime/manga, structured as anime/manga, then why is it not anime/manga?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

147 by AMindJoke »»
Today, 1:22 AM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

110 by ZXZXZXZXZXZXZX »»
Jun 14, 7:19 PM

» [Update May 24] Interest Stacks: New feature for custom theme lists and challenges ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Apr 6, 2022

205 by BasilZero »»
Jun 13, 5:17 AM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

248 by tingy »»
Jun 10, 10:35 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

122 by Vaturna »»
Jun 10, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.