Forum Settings
Forums

American Cartoons with Plot (excluding adult shows)???

New
Jun 6, 12:45 PM

Aug 2020
I was having a "civil" argument with a friend and he said that Japanese anime has better stories than American cartoons. I agree. But the way he said it made it sound like all American cartoon plots were garbage compared to anime. I quickly brought up Avatar/Korra, Adventure Time, TMNT, and Gravity Falls but he was like those are good but they don't hold a candle to the top anime. We were excluding adult centered cartoons like: Rick and Morty, Bojack, Invincible etc. We also excluded super hero based shows since they can't be characterized into a single show, they're better judged as a franchise. Most cartoons are made for laughs and comedy to keep audience retention rather than to develop a story.

Even when you search on Google, multiple sites bring up shows like DBZ, Digimon, Sailor Moon etc... for having the best story. Are there no good American cartoons with an overarching plot? Why is that? Do you know any good cartoons with plot, recommend me some pls.

- Because of this conversation I am going to check out Steven Universe and Star vs. the Forces of Evil. Keep in mind we are both dudes so let me know if there were any good female oriented cartoons we missed out on.-
"Bro, if you set your mind to it. You can jack off to anything."
☆☆☆☆☆
Jun 6, 11:34 PM

Jun 2016
The self contained episodic format became popular because the earlier cartoons were shown in cinemas before regular films started (like the shorts Pixar shows before their films nowadays) which meant that it wasn't easy to keep up with an overaching plot (for example you were watching episode 1 before one film and in the next film you were going to watch they were playing episode 4, this also the reason why the first Star Wars is episode 4, George Lucas was paying homage to space adventure serials which like cartoons were playing before regular films started) so this format became the "default" and cartoons adapted to it even after the invention of the television. In Japan on the other hand while cartoons existed since the early 20th century they really only became big after the invention of the television so overaching plots became the default for anime.

Back to the original topic: Watch Arcane, it's good. Other netflix cartoons are also apparently pretty good but I haven't found the time to watch them yet.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 7, 9:36 PM

Jan 2020
Watch Infinity Train. 4 seasons (or "books" as they're referred to). Each season has a different protagonist but the plot and lore is all intertwined, the story is about people who wake up on an endless train and in order to get off they must resolve an issue in their life. Characters all feel so real and layered, not everyone gets their happy ending either and its one of those series you can rewatch over and over and realize/find something new.

« »
🍙 Koizumi Hanayo
Dareka Tasukete!!!
Jun 8, 1:44 AM
Feb 2021
I would recommend Final Space. It's a sci-fi series that has great characters, witty humor, emotional storytelling, and a top soundtrack.
JohnnySuitcaseJun 8, 8:20 AM
Jun 8, 9:16 PM

Aug 2017
Avatar: The Last Airbender measures up to some of the best anime I've seen IMO
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
Jul 12, 11:26 PM

Mar 2022
No. That's obviously not true. Both countries have plenty of good stories. (honestly Japan's are a bit worse imo)
It's also strange to omit animation just cause it's for another demographic (adult toons) or style (superhero)?

All depends on what is considered a "good" story.

I'd list:
  • Hilda
  • Carmen Sandiego
  • Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts
  • She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
  • Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
  • As Told by Ginger
  • 6teen
  • Code Lyoko
  • Winx
  • Stoked
  • Totally Spies
  • Infinity Train
  • Kim possible
  • The Deep
  • Amphibia
  • Steven Universe
  • Star vs. the Forces of Evil

These are just the few that come to mind when I think about it, but I'm sure there's a ton more.

listsanime | manga⠀⠀⠀⠀
challengesawc | mrc⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Jul 16, 8:24 PM

Aug 2020
Dungeons and Dragons cartoon was quite good from what I remember

Jul 21, 5:57 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to nightjasmine
No. That's obviously not true. Both countries have plenty of good stories. (honestly Japan's are a bit worse imo)
It's also strange to omit animation just cause it's for another demographic (adult toons) or style (superhero)?

All depends on what is considered a "good" story.

I'd list:
  • Hilda
  • Carmen Sandiego
  • Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts
  • She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
  • Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir
  • As Told by Ginger
  • 6teen
  • Code Lyoko
  • Winx
  • Stoked
  • Totally Spies
  • Infinity Train
  • Kim possible
  • The Deep
  • Amphibia
  • Steven Universe
  • Star vs. the Forces of Evil

These are just the few that come to mind when I think about it, but I'm sure there's a ton more.

@nightjasmine Code Lyoko was originally from France, not the US.

Code Lyoko, we'll reset it all
Code Lyoko, be there when you call
Code Lyoko, we will stand real tall
Code Lyoko, stronger after all
Jul 22, 5:35 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to MoonBunny9297
@nightjasmine Code Lyoko was originally from France, not the US.
@MoonBunny9297 yes! also Miraculous + 6teen & Stoked are from Canada
..I think my point here is that ofc there are more animations outside of the US and Japan that are really really excellent too.

a few more I thought of:
  • Glitch Techs
  • Maya and the Three
  • Sea Beast
  • Legend Quest
  • Wendell & Wild
  • The Hollow
  • Total Drama
  • Dead End
  • Twelve Forever

listsanime | manga⠀⠀⠀⠀
Jul 22, 6:45 PM

Jul 2024
Wander Over Yander is both episodic and has a plot. It was fun and hilarious. Wander is ridiculous and funny.
(°<°) <(KA-KAW KA-KAW!)
Jul 22, 7:03 PM

Jan 2020
Reply to nightjasmine
@MoonBunny9297 yes! also Miraculous + 6teen & Stoked are from Canada
..I think my point here is that ofc there are more animations outside of the US and Japan that are really really excellent too.

a few more I thought of:
  • Glitch Techs
  • Maya and the Three
  • Sea Beast
  • Legend Quest
  • Wendell & Wild
  • The Hollow
  • Total Drama
  • Dead End
  • Twelve Forever
@nightjasmine Isn't Total Drama a Canadian cartoon?

MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Jul 22, 9:06 PM

Jul 2024
Reply to eblf2013
@eblf2013 Well it is a Western cartoon
(°<°) <(KA-KAW KA-KAW!)
Jul 25, 12:01 AM

Mar 2022
Reply to eblf2013
@eblf2013 yes I did say this already^^
oh and the masterpiece that is Pinocchio (Guillermo del Toro's version, 2022)

the ones I listed have strong female characters too, which is what the op also mentioned.
nightjasmineJul 25, 12:54 AM

listsanime | manga⠀⠀⠀⠀

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

8589 by Yuno »»
3 hours ago

» Is it ok to enjoy stories with little Lbtg representation?

Zack312 - Feb 25

39 by ScaryOwl »»
3 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Apr 26

267 by Rosy_Rose »»
10 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3693 by 3miL »»
Today, 4:40 AM

» good songs?

Haikyuu_ForLife - Yesterday

6 by KayKimii »»
Yesterday, 10:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.