New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 26, 9:52 PM
Jun 2022
Reply to Merve2Love
@ProudElitist

Ah, Im sorry^^
But that's not most people.

Most of the fans love this "overblown" Movie. Just talking about the first legendary one, for the sake of argument. Same with Stand Alone Complex.
The Manga isn't popular, compared to those two.

I get it - you're different.
But that's not most people.
@Merve2Love most fans of GITS love the original manga before anything else. I've been part of the GITS fandom for years at this point, most of the people like the original manga more. Being the movies more easier for consumption for western Gaijins or not.
ProudElitistMay 27, 3:18 AM
May 27, 2:35 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to ProudElitist
@Merve2Love most fans of GITS love the original manga before anything else. I've been part of the GITS fandom for years at this point, most of the people like the original manga more. Being the movies more easier for consumption for western Gaijins or not.
@ProudElitist

No. No, they don't^^
Most people did not the the original Manga.

Let's leave race out of it :)
May 27, 3:17 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to Merve2Love
@ProudElitist

No. No, they don't^^
Most people did not the the original Manga.

Let's leave race out of it :)
@Merve2Love most people of the fandom prefer the 1989 manga Masterpiece (the best comic to ever come out of the 80's period, the american mainstream superhero industry can easily suck the toes of Masamune Shirow) over any animated iteration. Race? I'm a gaijin too, it simply means foreigner in japanese. The oshii movies are reductions for the western Gaijins of something that, if you ever read the manga, you know it wasn't rooted in the west besides the cyberpunk design inspired by William Gibson and the likes. Particularly the ending chapter has nothing of the west in it and it's all about japanese stuff first and foremost.
ProudElitistMay 27, 4:08 AM
May 27, 12:57 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to ProudElitist
@Merve2Love most people of the fandom prefer the 1989 manga Masterpiece (the best comic to ever come out of the 80's period, the american mainstream superhero industry can easily suck the toes of Masamune Shirow) over any animated iteration. Race? I'm a gaijin too, it simply means foreigner in japanese. The oshii movies are reductions for the western Gaijins of something that, if you ever read the manga, you know it wasn't rooted in the west besides the cyberpunk design inspired by William Gibson and the likes. Particularly the ending chapter has nothing of the west in it and it's all about japanese stuff first and foremost.
@ProudElitist

Alright^^ you turned me around.

You win.
My bad.
Sep 3, 10:04 AM
May 2024
Reply to ProudElitist
@ProudElitist (I know it's too late to answer but...) I'm reading the manga and frankly it doesn't surpass the movie in any way.
Sep 4, 4:20 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to Karkov05
@ProudElitist (I know it's too late to answer but...) I'm reading the manga and frankly it doesn't surpass the movie in any way.
@Karkov05 you mean that a manga with social commentary, japanese ideas about fate, provisions about the future that are still relevant to this day, characters that feel multifaceted (particularly the protagonist) I.E. they feel like real breathing people with their own different attitudes on job, with the colleagues, in private life does not surpass an hamfisted Blade Runner remake telling the same exact things Blade Runner already told in 1985 with a protagonist as deep as a shoe and with ridicolous christian overtones added by an hack who wanted to be a priest before turning his shitty hands to anime, overtones not there to begin with? it's really sad to see so much delusion. I tell it as a person who previosly considered the 1995 movie his favourite movie ever...before reading the manga and seeing the richness of the world and characters in their original form Vs. the technical richness of the 1995 movie masquerading a barebone remake of a previous hollywood movie adding nothing to the mix, except what wasn't there to begin with because Masamune Shirow is not a christian and he has never been.
ProudElitistSep 4, 4:26 AM
Sep 4, 7:24 AM
May 2024
ProudElitist said:
@Karkov05 you mean that a manga with social commentary, japanese ideas about fate, provisions about the future that are still relevant to this day, characters that feel multifaceted (particularly the protagonist) I.E. they feel like real breathing people with their own different attitudes on job, with the colleagues, in private life does not surpass an hamfisted Blade Runner remake telling the same exact things Blade Runner already told in 1985 with a protagonist as deep as a shoe and with ridicolous christian overtones added by an hack who wanted to be a priest before turning his shitty hands to anime, overtones not there to begin with? it's really sad to see so much delusion. I tell it as a person who previosly considered the 1995 movie his favourite movie ever...before reading the manga and seeing the richness of the world and characters in their original form Vs. the technical richness of the 1995 movie masquerading a barebone remake of a previous hollywood movie adding nothing to the mix, except what wasn't there to begin with because Masamune Shirow is not a christian and he has never been.

You make the manga look deeper than it really is, so far I have only seen entertaining action stories with a charismatic protagonist, it is a manga that should not be taken too seriously.
Sep 4, 7:41 AM
May 2024
ProudElitist said:

Multifaceted characters? Literally his attitude is like "we just got in a shoot out and are now pursuing the suspects on foot, weeeeeeee, off to the next adventure we go!" What's interesting about that? They are not bad characters but they are not very notable either.

But in the anime is "I killed this armed criminal, but does that further erase my humanity, or does my ghost tether me to the rest of the species I both protect and am from?" which creates more interesting characters for the audience.
Sep 4, 8:34 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to Karkov05
ProudElitist said:

Multifaceted characters? Literally his attitude is like "we just got in a shoot out and are now pursuing the suspects on foot, weeeeeeee, off to the next adventure we go!" What's interesting about that? They are not bad characters but they are not very notable either.

But in the anime is "I killed this armed criminal, but does that further erase my humanity, or does my ghost tether me to the rest of the species I both protect and am from?" which creates more interesting characters for the audience.
@Karkov05 yes it's multifaceted in a sense that Motoko is depicted according to three different personas, meaning the one who enjoys her life with the colleagues, the one who on work is an hard-ass woman with whom you don't fuck with and plans her jobs accordingly to what goals she's undertaken and the one in private life who expresses her sexuality freely with both sexes. She's a fully fleshed out persona. In the anime Motoko is a melanchonic Roy Batty wannabe - all that she misses is repeating the dialogue about the tears in rain, really - who spouts the same stuff you can find in Blade Runner about the fact that the androids are too much specialized and too much specialization means death etc. etc. etc. Literally it's copy-pasted-copy-pasted-copy-pasted from Blade Runner, an anime rendition of Blade Runner with the usual Christian barf that Hack Mamoru Oshii wants to throw down your throat (I've seen other works of his like Roh-Jin, Angel's Egg and Patlabor, EVERY SINGLE TIME HE DOES THIS CRAP WHILE THE STORY IN THE BACKGROUND MAKES NO SENSE NOR IT IS WELL WRITTEN WHATSOEVER). This is what the 90's anime is, Blade Runner made into an animated form. So genius, so much originality, so great! I'd rather rewatch the original than the animated copy, it makes no sense to spend your time with a carbon-copy when you already have the original american, me thinks.
ProudElitistSep 4, 8:40 AM
Sep 4, 9:25 AM
May 2024
ProudElitist said:
@Karkov05 yes it's multifaceted in a sense that Motoko is depicted according to three different personas, meaning the one who enjoys her life with the colleagues, the one who on work is an hard-ass woman with whom you don't fuck with and plans her jobs accordingly to what goals she's undertaken and the one in private life who expresses her sexuality freely with both sexes. She's a fully fleshed out persona. In the anime Motoko is a melanchonic Roy Batty wannabe - all that she misses is repeating the dialogue about the tears in rain, really - who spouts the same stuff you can find in Blade Runner about the fact that the androids are too much specialized and too much specialization means death etc. etc. etc. Literally it's copy-pasted-copy-pasted-copy-pasted from Blade Runner, an anime rendition of Blade Runner with the usual Christian barf that Hack Mamoru Oshii wants to throw down your throat (I've seen other works of his like Roh-Jin, Angel's Egg and Patlabor, EVERY SINGLE TIME HE DOES THIS CRAP WHILE THE STORY IN THE BACKGROUND MAKES NO SENSE NOR IT IS WELL WRITTEN WHATSOEVER). This is what the 90's anime is, Blade Runner made into an animated form. So genius, so much originality, so great! I'd rather rewatch the original than the animated copy, it makes no sense to spend your time with a carbon-copy when you already have the original american, me thinks.

I recognize that Kusanagi in the manga has more personality, in the film she remains serene for most of the film, although personally I find her conflict more interesting.
Sep 4, 10:37 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to Karkov05
ProudElitist said:

I recognize that Kusanagi in the manga has more personality, in the film she remains serene for most of the film, although personally I find her conflict more interesting.
@Karkov05 in the movie she's not serene, she's moping all the time. The conflict you see in her is the same of Roy Batty, which I guess is the reason behind the success of the movie as it is a remake of a well-known western movie with simbology westerners know as intended by westerners (and with that I mean it to differentiate it from something like, for example, the use of crosses in tokusatsus, which are not used in a christian sense outside the specifics of Ultraman and Ultraseven) because Oshii wanted to be a christian priest and so it's digestible for westerners, whereas the manga particularly towards the end is rooted in shinto stuff about cosmology and fate etc. etc. etc. etc. My personal take is that the best animated version is the first GITS SAC season, not as deep - and I don't mean serious, you don't need to be serious all the time to be deep - as the manga but good nonetheless. The original GITS is the only manga I've ever read that I consider superior to any animated product they made out of it, I generally prefer animes over mangas. The original GITS is the only exception.
ProudElitistSep 4, 10:50 AM
Sep 4, 11:04 AM
May 2024
ProudElitist said:
@Karkov05 in the movie she's not serene, she's moping all the time. The conflict you see in her is the same of Roy Batty, which I guess is the reason behind the success of the movie as it is a remake of a well-known western movie with simbology westerners know as intended by westerners (and with that I mean it to differentiate it from something like, for example, the use of crosses in tokusatsus, which are not used in a christian sense outside the specifics of Ultraman and Ultraseven) because Oshii wanted to be a christian priest and so it's digestible for westerners, whereas the manga particularly towards the end is rooted in shinto stuff about cosmology and fate etc. etc. etc. etc. My personal take is that the best animated version is the first GITS SAC season, not as deep - and I don't mean serious, you don't need to be serious all the time to be deep - as the manga but good nonetheless. The original GITS is the only manga I've ever read that I consider superior to any animated product they made out of it, I generally prefer animes over mangas. The original GITS is the only exception.

While Blade Runner asked "what is life?" in a plastically brilliant way, but it didn't answer the question. He limited himself to addressing the issue of whether a replicant is basically a human being with an expiration date, due to the fact of being intelligent and possessing emotions (that is, circuits of instinctive instructions on which intelligence develops), and despite being built by other human beings.

Ghost in the Shell does not use the machine analogy, but rather blurs the boundaries between planned life and life resulting from chance (the so-called "natural"). Life is interaction with the environment and action aimed at self-perpetuation, with at least transitory success. A whirlpool is a shape that exists in the middle, but does not have a structure that uses energy to maintain that shape. A virus (including certain computer viruses) does.
Sep 4, 11:24 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to Karkov05
ProudElitist said:

While Blade Runner asked "what is life?" in a plastically brilliant way, but it didn't answer the question. He limited himself to addressing the issue of whether a replicant is basically a human being with an expiration date, due to the fact of being intelligent and possessing emotions (that is, circuits of instinctive instructions on which intelligence develops), and despite being built by other human beings.

Ghost in the Shell does not use the machine analogy, but rather blurs the boundaries between planned life and life resulting from chance (the so-called "natural"). Life is interaction with the environment and action aimed at self-perpetuation, with at least transitory success. A whirlpool is a shape that exists in the middle, but does not have a structure that uses energy to maintain that shape. A virus (including certain computer viruses) does.
@Karkov05 you're making the anime more than it actually is. Oshii is not as deep or profound as you make him out to be. I mean, he friggin' made a movie out of red hiding hood pretending he was doing some sci-fi political crap when it's just a retelling of red hiding hood with people wearing sci-fi armours and getting lost in a sewer (?). Angel's egg? pure nonsensical masturbation with no story, no characters, nothing worth of mentioning or remembering. The guy is not a philosopher nor anything, he's a just a person who wanted to be a priest in his youth and then decided otherwise, nothing particularly deep or profound if you ask me.
Sep 4, 11:26 AM
May 2024
ProudElitist said:
@Karkov05 you're making the anime more than it actually is. Oshii is not as deep or profound as you make him out to be. I mean, he friggin' made a movie out of red hiding hood pretending he was doing some sci-fi political crap when it's just a retelling of red hiding hood with people wearing sci-fi armours and getting lost in a sewer (?). Angel's egg? pure nonsensical masturbation with no story, no characters, nothing worth of mentioning or remembering. The guy is not a philosopher nor anything, he's a just a person who wanted to be a priest in his youth and then decided otherwise, nothing particularly deep or profound if you ask me.

What did angel's egg have to do with it? And if we go to that, you also want to make the manga look more complex than it really is...
Sep 4, 11:37 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to Karkov05
ProudElitist said:

What did angel's egg have to do with it? And if we go to that, you also want to make the manga look more complex than it really is...
@Karkov05 Angel's egg is made by the same guy who directed the gaijin-tailored reduction of the manga masterpiece, who is not profound nor a philosopher. I don't care what I make look like or not, the manga rules the anime without its technical stuff has no merits whatsoever. A barebone Blade Runner remake vs. something original rooted in japanese culture and with characters more fleshed out than a literal doll that passes her time moping, the manga wins over the movie anytime. I avoided reading the manga for a decade at least because he thought it was the contrary (meaning the anime was good and the manga sucked) yet I ended praising the manga over the anime so much that I consider it the best comic of the 80's hands down to the point that I even own a copy of the 1991 kodansha TP in japanese, so I say you can fully trust my judgment.
ProudElitistSep 4, 11:41 AM
Sep 4, 11:43 AM
Jun 2022
Sorry, Kamen Rider OOO is waiting for me on TV. See you all guys!
Sep 4, 1:19 PM
May 2024
ProudElitist said:
Sorry, Kamen Rider OOO is waiting for me on TV. See you all guys!

I guess it was fun debating with you.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Zatsu Tabi: That's Journey' Reveals Main Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo for 2025

Hyperion_PS - May 15

4 by MeguSae38 »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Ishura' 2nd Season Announces New Cast Members

Vindstot - 11 hours ago

3 by EcchiGodMamster »»
33 minutes ago

» Video Game 'Decapolice' Gets TV Anime in 2026

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

3 by deg »»
1 hour ago

» Shaft Produces 'Virgin Punk' Original Anime Series

Vindstot - Sep 16

21 by Adnash »»
3 hours ago

» Manga 'Gorilla no Kami kara Kago sareta Reijou wa Ouritsu Kishidan de Kawaigarareru' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - 11 hours ago

2 by _MushiRock11_ »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.