Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 16, 3:19 AM
Mar 2017
So have you ever watched an anime and gave its first season ( or second ,3rd … etc) a really different score ?
Like for example watching first and giving it a 9-10 , then you watch the second and it’s 7 at maximum..
or vice versa

What are these anime ? And why ?

For me they’re :
Boku no hero the first 4 season Are all 9.5-10/10 but 5th season was a 7 .. and I still thing I was way too generous with this 7
Tokyo ghoul first season was a 9 / second and upcoming were 6-7
The promised neverland s2 is a …. doesn’t exist.
May 16, 3:21 AM

Jan 2009
i rarely do that like very rare i usually have the same scores on every season and if i feel i do not like it anymore i lower all seasons scores too
May 16, 3:53 AM

Feb 2024
For the first and second seasons of Psycho-Pass I gave it 8, for the third one I gave 1, and for the movies I gave 2, 5 and 9. But I don't do this normally, only in cases where the seasons are very different and don't have a linearity of events between them.
May 16, 4:00 AM

Feb 2020
Sometimes, for example Tanoshii Muumin Ikka. I didn't like the sequel at all, so I gave it a 4/10 while the first season a 9/10.
May 16, 4:04 AM

Aug 2020
TPN 2 is the first one that comes to mind.

May 16, 4:21 AM

Jun 2019
Yes, the biggest disparity for me on this might be the one for Spice & Wolf, the first season of which I gave a 7/10 and the second a 4/10.

As a result if I look at the series in a unitary way in retrospect I think of (and unofficially rate it) as more of a 6/10 one overall. Because I believe the second season really dragged the series as a whole down. The reason was too much nonsense going in circles with silly instances of the main characters getting upset and feuding over trivial misunderstandings and miscommunication which was just annoying and frustrating to watch. Most of the season seeming to revolve around mini-arcs of these schemes ending up in silly misunderstandings. And then ending on what was essentially a cliffhanger non-ending leaving the series hanging after wasting much of the season's runtime and potential.

Some series I rate exactly the same on both or all of its individual constituent seasons. When I rate them differently, I take both or all of those differing ratings into account when giving one final rating to the series as a whole in totality (It's also common for me to give one season a 7/10 and another a 6/10 for a two season series, like Black Lagoon, but still give the whole series a 7/10 in the end since I'm generous and care more about the good than the bad). But just looking at the individual seasons, the second season of S&W remains to this day one of the least favorite entries of anime I've ever watched.
May 16, 4:34 AM

Aug 2013
Always, each season gets its own score.

Here's an example:
AoT S1 - 9, great start of a new serie, lots of characters died, very intriguing
AoT S2 - 8, lore expansion & more new characters, but I didn't get answer to questions from S1
AoT S3 p1 - 7, still not getting answers, this had started to annoy me tbh
AoT S3 p2 - 10, ah the eternal bliss, finally some closure on crucial questions since S1 after all these years
AoT S4 p1 - 9, oh look! desert! noice, I'll take it!
AoT S4 p2 - 9, dayum not only more new characters in the story, but our boi Eren turned into a savage!
Aot S4 the final part - 5, WTF is this? S4 should never have been made, I would have loved more the open ending of S3 p2 as the true ending of this serie.

Also... Black Clover aired in 1 go a whopping 170 episodes, so yeah I gave that serie only 1 score. If AoT wants 1 score for the entire serie, it should have aired in 1 go & not with the intervals of 6 months/+1 year.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima
May 16, 5:02 AM
Mar 2017
Reply to deg
i rarely do that like very rare i usually have the same scores on every season and if i feel i do not like it anymore i lower all seasons scores too
@deg i used to be like this until I realized there are actually seasons I enjoyed more than the rest so giving them all the same score is kinda unfair
May 16, 5:03 AM
Mar 2017
Reply to Atashi_Agatha
For the first and second seasons of Psycho-Pass I gave it 8, for the third one I gave 1, and for the movies I gave 2, 5 and 9. But I don't do this normally, only in cases where the seasons are very different and don't have a linearity of events between them.
@Atashi_Agatha what do you mean by very different and don’t have a linearity of evens between them ?
May 16, 5:07 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Yonahim_Zz
@deg i used to be like this until I realized there are actually seasons I enjoyed more than the rest so giving them all the same score is kinda unfair
@Yonahim_Zz i joined myanimelist back when split cours and seasonal anime is not common so old habits die hard
May 16, 5:18 AM

Dec 2021
I'll leave it up to everybody's imagination why this is, since there's no way to avoid stepping on people's toes with this particular opinion.

1. Clannad = 9/10
  2. Clannad: After Story = 6/10
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 16, 5:21 AM
Oct 2019
Happen to me more often that none. Only series I think I have same score across the board it's Monogatari franchise and shingeki no Kyojin (which a eventual rewatch will change). Maybe some minor shows there and there but for the most part I decrease the score with every season.
May 16, 5:21 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to Daviljoe193
I'll leave it up to everybody's imagination why this is, since there's no way to avoid stepping on people's toes with this particular opinion.

1. Clannad = 9/10
@Daviljoe193 for having finished Clannad after story yesterday I agree with this.
May 16, 5:23 AM

Dec 2021
So far it happened once.

Natsume Yuujinchou S1: 7/10
Natsume Yuujinchou S2: 10/10

"𝑰𝒇 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆, 𝒐𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆𝒔, 𝑰 𝒈𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒔?"
» [JELEE] «
0:00 〇────── 4:47
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

May 16, 5:35 AM

Nov 2023
Mine isn't even a second season-

Mushoku Tensei S1 Part 1- 6/10

Mushoku Tensei S1 part 2- 9/10 (9.5 to be exact)
May 16, 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
Yep. I scored Haruhi Suzumaya S1 much higher than S2. I can appreciate what they were trying to accomplish, but that was overkill.

May 16, 6:34 AM

Sep 2016
I scored SAO Alicization much higher than the first 2 seasons.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 16, 6:40 AM

Jan 2020
I do it pretty frequently, Higurashi being my most prominent example:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni got a 9/10, KAI got a 10/10, GOU got a 6/10 and SOTSU... a 2/10.

Other examples include:

Haruhi S1 - 9/10; S2 - 7/10; Movie - 10/10

Fumetsu no Anata e S1 - 6/10; S2 - 8/10

Dragon Ball Z - 8/10; Dragon Ball GT - 6/10

eblf2013May 16, 6:48 AM
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
May 16, 6:43 AM

Aug 2020
Higurashi: 9 - 6 (Kai)
Mob Psycho 100: 8 - 9 - 5
OPM: 9 - 6
TPN: 8 - 4
Violet Evergarden: 6 - 3 (last movie)
WEP: 8 - 2
May 16, 6:48 AM

Aug 2020
Reply to Daviljoe193

1. Clannad = 9/10
@Daviljoe193 that's rare. What didn't you like?

Dw about spoilers. I have watched After Story.
May 16, 6:58 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to TRC_Randy
@Daviljoe193 that's rare. What didn't you like?

Dw about spoilers. I have watched After Story.
@TRC_Randy I don't need to delve into spoiler territory to explain, but for the sake of sparing people the displeasure of seeing me bash something they like, I'll still put it into a spoiler block.

It's probably just a sign that Key adaptations aren't for me, honestly. Kanon, Clannad After Story, Angel Beats, I just don't like any of them. And I feel like I'm worse off for not being able to enjoy them.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 16, 6:58 AM

Mar 2023
Mushoku Tensei S1P1- 7/10
Mushoku Tensei S1P2- 8/10
Mushoku Tensei S2P1- 5/10 (generally nothing happened and the development was poor).

I suppose Kara No Kyoukai movie 8 is worth mentioning for being absolutely useless. (2/10)

High school DxD- 5/10
High School DxD- 3/10 (the original was fun and trashy but this had way too many random shit happen that didnt make any sense)
“Since when was this world so beautiful?” ~Yuuri (girl's last tour)
May 16, 8:34 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Yonahim_Zz
@Atashi_Agatha what do you mean by very different and don’t have a linearity of evens between them ?
@Yonahim_Zz When each season is, in itself, a closed story. Monogatari is an example, the arcs don't follow a clear order, and you can watch a newer season before an older one and it will still make sense. Or when the seasons are extremely different from each other, like Fate/Stay Night (2006) and Fate/Zero, or Sword Art Online 2 and 3. Above I mentioned Psycho-Pass, the third season has different protagonists involving a different case, you can understand much of the story without having seen the previous seasons. This is not something that happens in animes like Mushoku Tensei and Code Geass, for example, where the second season connects directly to the first.
May 16, 8:40 AM
Mar 2017
Reply to Atashi_Agatha
@Yonahim_Zz When each season is, in itself, a closed story. Monogatari is an example, the arcs don't follow a clear order, and you can watch a newer season before an older one and it will still make sense. Or when the seasons are extremely different from each other, like Fate/Stay Night (2006) and Fate/Zero, or Sword Art Online 2 and 3. Above I mentioned Psycho-Pass, the third season has different protagonists involving a different case, you can understand much of the story without having seen the previous seasons. This is not something that happens in animes like Mushoku Tensei and Code Geass, for example, where the second season connects directly to the first.
@Atashi_Agatha yes I understand what you mean , but why is that something bad ? I like both monogatari and gate franchises and one of their unique features is how much diversity they have …
It’s like living in a whole new world

May 16, 8:47 AM

Jun 2020
The Promised Neverland went from 8 score for first season to 4 for second season.
May 16, 8:50 AM

Jun 2019
I really enjoyed the first season of Bokuben, thought the setting was ok, not the usual high school (I wrongly thought it was a uni/college setting for most of the season), the girls were fun and looked like we were on course to get some good romance in S2, with just one girl, not all of them, scored it a low 9/10. Then I watched S2 and it was as if the author decided not to make it a romance at all but a boring bland harem where the MC doesn't chose anyone, usually so as not to piss off the readers who stan one of the other girls.

I don't mind harem shows, really enjoy the funny ones that don't take themselves seriously (ie To Love Ru, Bride is a Mermaid, Heavens Lost Property, DearS, Magikano, Highschool DxD, Trinity Seven etc). The ones I most enjoy are when you get actual romance, along with some other girls also liking the MC, eg Saekano, OreShura, My First Girlfriend is a Gal, Familiar of Zero, OreSuki. Ofc you do get based shows like Girlfriend, Girlfriend where you have multiple actual love interests, but it's next to impossible to pull off, but that show manages somehow.

So yeah S2 of Bokuben really fell off for me with it's wishy washy ending.
May 16, 9:35 AM
Mar 2017
Reply to KitsuFrost
TPN 2 is the first one that comes to mind.
@KitsuFrost this one simply doesn’t exist
May 16, 9:36 AM
Mar 2017
Reply to Otakupervert890
Happen to me more often that none. Only series I think I have same score across the board it's Monogatari franchise and shingeki no Kyojin (which a eventual rewatch will change). Maybe some minor shows there and there but for the most part I decrease the score with every season.
@Otakupervert890 for me AOT went from 10 for first 3 seasons to barely 7 the rest of them
May 16, 9:37 AM
Mar 2017
Reply to Chronon
So far it happened once.

Natsume Yuujinchou S1: 7/10
Natsume Yuujinchou S2: 10/10
@Chronon I’ve seen first season and gave it a 9/10 so your comment makes me hyped hopefully season 2 is actually better
May 16, 9:37 AM

Dec 2019
Tokyo Ghoul S1 a 9 and then the rest are below 5
May 16, 9:40 AM

Jan 2023
Ask The Promised Neverland lol.

One example; Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari.
S01: 8
S02: 6
S03: 5

Slayers is my favorite, and clearly Slayers Revolution and Slayers Evolution-R are not on the same level as the rest of the series. The first seasons are a 10. Those last two mmm, I gave them a 7 but for love.
May 16, 9:43 AM

Jan 2023
Reply to notPara
Tokyo Ghoul S1 a 9 and then the rest are below 5
@notPara

Phew, I thought the first one was entertaining (7). I didn't even finish the second one. Awful.
May 16, 9:47 AM

Dec 2019
Reply to juanlqr
@notPara

Phew, I thought the first one was entertaining (7). I didn't even finish the second one. Awful.
@juanlqr Season 2 is just straight from abyss and i thought they learn their lesson when adapting RE boy how naive i am.
May 16, 9:49 AM

Jul 2013
I dont like giving scores to anime shows to begin with tbh...so I dont rate anime shows...these ratings are meaningless to me...
May 16, 7:17 PM

Apr 2021
-rising of the shield hero, i think i gave s1 a 8/10, and the other 2 seasons a 6/10 and i think im being generous.
-Aot, the first seasons i rated them highly but i really dislike the direction it took on the final seasons.
-Food wars, last season was a dip in quality imo.
-Hibike euphonium, i thought the first seasons were good, the movies were not as good (except for liz to aoi tori).
-Although i love it, i would say gintama, its that after how good shogun assasination and farewell shinsengumi arcs were, i didnt think the rest was as good as those arcs.
-Mushoku tensei, but im willing to wait and see if the quality can return.
-Kimi ni todoke, s2 was such a letdown, how is it possible a single/simple misunderstanding can carry the plot of a 12 episode anime season.
-Jujutsu kaisen s2, i found s2 to be very boring while i had a good time with s1 and the movie.

May 16, 7:20 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to luisfunes99
-rising of the shield hero, i think i gave s1 a 8/10, and the other 2 seasons a 6/10 and i think im being generous.
-Aot, the first seasons i rated them highly but i really dislike the direction it took on the final seasons.
-Food wars, last season was a dip in quality imo.
-Hibike euphonium, i thought the first seasons were good, the movies were not as good (except for liz to aoi tori).
-Although i love it, i would say gintama, its that after how good shogun assasination and farewell shinsengumi arcs were, i didnt think the rest was as good as those arcs.
-Mushoku tensei, but im willing to wait and see if the quality can return.
-Kimi ni todoke, s2 was such a letdown, how is it possible a single/simple misunderstanding can carry the plot of a 12 episode anime season.
-Jujutsu kaisen s2, i found s2 to be very boring while i had a good time with s1 and the movie.

luisfunes99 said:

...oh. Well that's not good for my eventual watch of it. That's like the sort of thing that absolutely ruins an anime for me. I love the hell out of Kimi ni Todoke, but that's really looking like it'll hurt it a lot for me.
May 16, 10:47 PM

Jul 2016
Seven Deadly Sins after season 1, woof.
May 17, 3:45 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Yonahim_Zz
@Atashi_Agatha yes I understand what you mean , but why is that something bad ? I like both monogatari and gate franchises and one of their unique features is how much diversity they have …
It’s like living in a whole new world

@Yonahim_Zz I didn't say I don't like it, I said it's in animes like this that I tend to give different scores to the seasons. For Monogatari I gave it 7/10 in most seasons, but for Owarimonogatari I gave it 8/10, as it was a season that interested me more. If the seasons were very similar to each other, they would probably have the same score.
May 17, 4:24 AM

Jan 2019
Definitely, because every score I gave to a title directly corresponds to the title I gave, which means the score for Season 2 is only meant for the season.

Some obvious ones on my list are:

Clannad - 8/10
Clannad After Story - 10/10

JoJo's Part 1 & 2 - 7/10
JoJo's Part 5 -10/10

Oregairu S1 - 7/10
Oregairu S2 - 9/10

Railgun - 7/10
Railgun T - 9/10

AoT S1 - 7/10
AoT S3P2 - 9/10

BSD S1 - 6/10
BSD S2 - 8/10

SAO S1 - 5/10
SAO S3 - 8/10

Tokyo Ghoul - 7/10
Tokyo Ghoul √A - 3/10

MHA S2 - 8/10
MHA S4 - 4/10

7DS S1 - 7/10
7DS S3 - 1/10

May 17, 10:58 AM

Apr 2021
Daviljoe193 said:
luisfunes99 said:

...oh. Well that's not good for my eventual watch of it. That's like the sort of thing that absolutely ruins an anime for me. I love the hell out of Kimi ni Todoke, but that's really looking like it'll hurt it a lot for me.

I mean you should check it out nonetheless. However for me it was absurd, like if it was a complex misunderstanding I would have understand. Even understanding the characters personalities it was too much for me. But i still want to see what s3 has in store.
May 17, 11:10 AM

May 2021
I gave the first season of Classroom of the Elite a 6 and the second season a 2 I think that’s my most drastic drop
May 17, 11:14 AM

Jul 2013
It is not like scores on anime television shows actually matter tbh...

More topics from this board

» What are your Anime Hot Takes ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

73 by Chuckiemuffin »»
39 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jun 3

68 by ALiCCexERiNNa »»
43 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes?

Zarutaku - Yesterday

4 by Zarutaku »»
53 minutes ago

» Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?

Dragevard - Jun 10

32 by RudeRedis »»
1 hour ago

» Filler arcs are not that bad, you're just too old and have access to the internet.

LenRea - Jun 9

31 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.