Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 12, 6:25 AM

Oct 2019
This is based on my anime only knowledge, so if the manga contradicts it, I would rather not know.

So, the theory.

I don't think Frieren will ever get to see Himmel again, nor do I think the magical place where she is trying to find exists. And I have 2 reasons for this, both of which are about plot structure rather than in universe evidence, but hear me out.

Reason 1: Frieren as a story has a certain optimistic and comforting view on religion, that says it's nice to believe, because it's more convenient if the belief is true. It's not the main theme of the show or anything, but it was brought up multiple times, and I think a confirmation of an afterlife existing, would really lessen the point of this theme.

Reason 2: this one is actually the far bigger reason. She starts this journey, because she felt like she didn't get to know Himmel enough, and the journey's goal is meeting him again for that reason. But, as we have seen through out the story, she is retroactively getting to know Himmel through gaining new perspective.

Every experience she's having on this journey, is giving her a piece of what kind of person Himmel really was, and what he meant to her.

You could say, that the journey itself is fulfilling her desire to get to know him better, which would then make the destination... kind of pointless. It makes way more sense for her to realize she can't meet Himmel, while noting the fact that she already got to know him through this second journey.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 12, 6:27 AM

Jan 2009
manga spoilers ahead
May 12, 6:52 AM
Mar 2024
they're halfway there aren't they? so we will probably see it in S2
May 12, 8:39 AM
Jul 2022
the destination is not the important thing, in true shounen fashion, its the friends we made along the way
May 12, 8:59 AM
Mar 2024
turvoil said:

Well that’s probably not gonna happen, because madhouse is famous for not making 2nd seasons. With Overlord being the exception for some reason.
May 12, 9:09 AM
Sep 2016
Agree, she already knows himmel, seeing him again wont matter. What matters is her backtracking her journey with a new perspective and realizing all the details that she knows about himmel, but didnt pay them enough attention. It doesnt matter if heaven doesnt exist, but believing it does makes it more convinient
May 12, 9:36 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to A8M102
turvoil said:

Well that’s probably not gonna happen, because madhouse is famous for not making 2nd seasons. With Overlord being the exception for some reason.
@A8M102 Chihayafuru, hajime no ippo, Kaiji, Black lagoon, vampire dies in no time, no guns life....

You are right that they do tend to not make season 2s, but overlord is far from the only exception.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 12, 9:56 AM
Nov 2018
Basically, you're just saying Frieren retraced her steps in her journey with Himmel, which is what is going to connect her back to him. I feel bad for Fern and Stark. That's 10 years to a place that doesn't exist.
May 12, 10:37 AM
Sep 2016
Reply to Moppit
Basically, you're just saying Frieren retraced her steps in her journey with Himmel, which is what is going to connect her back to him. I feel bad for Fern and Stark. That's 10 years to a place that doesn't exist.
@Moppit why, they are bonding together and getting their own adventure in the process
May 12, 12:04 PM
Nov 2018
taikaaaa11 said:
@Moppit why, they are bonding together and getting their own adventure in the process

Still, that's 10 years and if they decide to travel back. That's a 20-year round trip if they find nothing.
May 12, 12:49 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Moppit
taikaaaa11 said:

Still, that's 10 years and if they decide to travel back. That's a 20-year round trip if they find nothing.
@Moppit There are shortcuts but Frieren refuses to use them because they can help people along the way. It wouldn't take that long really.

May 12, 12:54 PM
May 2023
It's a quest fantasy story. The destination always exists in quest stories. Yes, the journey is more important than the destination, but there is no reason for the journey without the destination.
May 12, 2:15 PM

Aug 2020
It would be weird if that were the case since like, Frierens been keeping track of the distance till their destination.
Keep scrolling
May 12, 3:11 PM
Aug 2021
Moppit said:
taikaaaa11 said:

Think it's 10 years total, not 10 years each way. They've also already said that it doesn't have to take anywhere near that long.
May 12, 4:28 PM
Nov 2018
@StarZone1 It's been a while since I watched it.
May 12, 4:50 PM
Jul 2023
It's about the journey, not about the destination
May 12, 6:42 PM

Jun 2021
Reply to Moppit
Moppit said:
I feel bad for Fern and Stark. That's 10 years to a place that doesn't exist.
You don't need to as they are also travelling with Frieren for a reason. Aside from the fact that the party needed warrior, Stark is travelling with them because he wants to travel the same journey as Eizen so that he can bring back the story about their journey.

Fern is Frieren apprentice, she doesn't have any particular goal and family member alive. So, even if they don't travel to ende she's still going to stay with Frieren. Atleast because of the journey she is meeting and spending time with people like Stark, Sein etc and making countless golden memories that they can cherish even after their journey ends just like Frieren,Himmel,Heiter and Eizen.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

May 12, 6:52 PM

Aug 2018
I'm not caught up with the manga, but I hope the destination does exist.
May 12, 10:01 PM
May 2023
Imagine 5 seasons into the anime, they finally get to the location, only to realize there's nothing there 😭😭😭

That would be ironically pretty funny but also sad if Frieren doesn't get to see himmel again😭
May 12, 10:03 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to Cwush
Imagine 5 seasons into the anime, they finally get to the location, only to realize there's nothing there 😭😭😭

That would be ironically pretty funny but also sad if Frieren doesn't get to see himmel again😭
Cwush said:
Frieren doesn't get to see himmel again

May 13, 1:30 AM
Nov 2020
A8M102 said:
turvoil said:

If there is a s2 it’s a long way away, they adapted like 70-80 chapters of the manga, and right now it’s siting at like 130, def a multiple year wait IF it happens (NGNL flashbacks)
May 13, 3:30 AM
Nov 2021
A8M102 said:
turvoil said:

With how popular and loved the show is there's a huge change for a renewal
It would be stupid not to make a season 2 (even more) out of Frieren
May 13, 1:42 PM
Jul 2022
I haven't read the manga yet, so there may be something I'm missing, but: Flamme had no reason to lie to Frieren. She cared about her deeply. Apart from her mission to teach magic to humanity a prepare them for the war with demons, Frieren was pretty much the only reason she had to live for after "demons took everything from her". So I doubt that it never existed. Sure, it could've been destroyed or somehow corrupted by the Demon King. But I doubt that as well, because generally speaking, Frieren isn't that much of a depressing and tragic series. Sure, it has some darker moments, but ultimately, it's about hope and happiness. And meeting the dead souls of your loved ones totally fits this theme...
May 13, 2:16 PM

Mar 2018
honestly, it'd feel really bad storytelling wise, if heaven didn't exist. Reminds me of sao where the villain forgot what his motivation was
May 13, 6:47 PM

Mar 2017
I honestly don't see how they make it impactful for Aureole to exist and for Frieren to meet Himmel again. Like someone above said, Frieren already knows and understands Himmel, she just needs all the info to brew and settle down in her mind. A cool theory I heard, originally by storieswithstyle, ties the German names into the ending of the story. Himmel = sky/Heaven, Fern = distant, Frieren = freezing/cold, Flamme = flame, Stark = strong, etc. A long, long time in the future, someone (Frieren? Serie?) is telling this story, having long forgotten the real names of the people and only their Aureole (their shine, halo), what she remembers them by, remains.
May 13, 6:59 PM

May 2020
@deg

@APolygons2

" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

May 13, 8:27 PM
Jun 2022
Eevee907 said:
A8M102 said:

If there is a s2 it’s a long way away, they adapted like 70-80 chapters of the manga, and right now it’s siting at like 130, def a multiple year wait IF it happens (NGNL flashbacks)

So, source material is available for a 12-13 ep season. I'll take that in over a 4-5 year wait for a 24-26 ep season.
May 13, 8:29 PM
Jun 2022
NotDigit said:
I honestly don't see how they make it impactful for Aureole to exist and for Frieren to meet Himmel again. Like someone above said, Frieren already knows and understands Himmel, she just needs all the info to brew and settle down in her mind. A cool theory I heard, originally by storieswithstyle, ties the German names into the ending of the story. Himmel = sky/Heaven, Fern = distant, Frieren = freezing/cold, Flamme = flame, Stark = strong, etc. A long, long time in the future, someone (Frieren? Serie?) is telling this story, having long forgotten the real names of the people and only their Aureole (their shine, halo), what she remembers them by, remains.

That's an interesting theory.

More topics from this board

» A question about Himmel (spoiler)

ColourWheel - May 22

13 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » "Sousou no Frieren" Adult Adaptation has been announced ( 1 2 )

deg - May 16

55 by Eresseah »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2023

233 by Phrometheus »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Sousou no Frieren Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 17, 2023

275 by Vindicater »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Will Season 2 be just as good?

GoatPieceLuffy - May 22

32 by StevieRara »»
Yesterday, 9:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.