Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 9, 11:42 AM
Jun 2023
Was it just me or was Oshi no Ko really overhyped. What’s your guys thoughts.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 9, 11:51 AM
Nov 2018
I think they front-loaded it. The first episode was really good, and the rest was normal. I still enjoyed the entire anime and am looking forward to the second season.
May 9, 11:52 AM
Jul 2023
"Nuh uh" (I don't really follow or care about the hype but as an anime it was good and decent)
May 9, 12:03 PM
Jan 2022
i dont normally read hype, for me i just watch animes when they air with no cliue.

i liked the anime, its not a masterpiece but a solid 8 at least
May 9, 12:04 PM
Apr 2023
1 year later but I think It was really good but not as much as some people said, so yes, It was overhyped but not that much
May 9, 12:07 PM

Sep 2016
Your mom is overhyped.

Joke!
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 9, 12:09 PM
Oct 2019
Nah it's ok for me, at least for the 1st season
May 9, 12:13 PM
Jan 2023
The first episode definitely set too high expectations for the rest so yes, it was maybe a bit overhyped. But not too much
May 9, 12:17 PM

Mar 2021
it wasn't overhyped. It's the first episode that had set the bar far too high.
May 9, 12:18 PM
Dec 2021
Episode one was pretty good and people proceeded to overpraise it massively. Later on the flaws accumulated and people started to notice.

May 9, 12:23 PM

Nov 2019
Overhype and a doga kobo show - two things I rarely hear together
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
May 9, 12:26 PM

Jan 2023
The first episode was both very hyped due to the pre-existing fanbase and how it set the bar so high that the rest of the series wasn’t able to keep up with it, leading to a slight fall overall. Still good but overpraise became a detriment.
May 9, 12:28 PM
Aug 2022
Mooogle said:

Totally. The story is good, but it’s an another isekai, (and, let’s be honest, it’s not my cup of tea). The first épisode himself is great (if you let aside that’s the protagonist ( Who is 30 years old, remember, simp on a 16-year-old girl . Apart from this detail (which is a nuisance in itself), the rest of the episode is cool. The rest of the anime isn't really interesting. And having continued in manga (about thirty chapters), it doesn't get any better. In short, a nice anime with a really cool first episode, but which quickly runs out of steam. Clearly overhyped.
May 9, 12:31 PM
Feb 2023
Nah
I’ve read through the entire manga and I feel that towards the end it gets better. Yes it’s going to have some questionable moments but all in all it’s actually a really good story. I feel that if Alaskan ends the series with a bang it might even be one of my favorites.
May 9, 12:43 PM
Nov 2016
Moppit said:
I think they front-loaded it. The first episode was really good, and the rest was normal. I still enjoyed the entire anime and am looking forward to the second season.

Agreed. The first episode kinda made it look like it was something that it wasn't.

Still a good show though.
May 9, 12:56 PM
Aug 2022
It was.
Because of fenominal marketing and a enticing first episode we though it was something more. But the rest of the show was just sorta like, an decent idol anime. No more subversive insight to the dark side of idol culture and how it's bad for talents.
May 9, 1:07 PM

Dec 2020
Tye first ep was really dope and that deserved that much overhype. Then the rest eps were from below mid to mid high level. Can't disagree that it was quite a bit overhyped considering the actual level.

8.4/10 for me
May 9, 1:15 PM

Jan 2023
Where was this take when the anime was airing? Too many people were praising this anime while it was airing. I will admit that it had a damn good first episode, but that's it. The rest of the anime felt like your typical run of the mill SoL/Highschool anime
May 9, 1:23 PM
Aug 2019
I think there’s an over-reaction to the hype. It’s a pretty good show with pretty good characters and a wild but interesting premise. The only reason why people say it’s not that good is because the pacing dropped dramatically. A lot less impactful moments over the same span of runtime.

Not everything can be like Attack on Titan season 1, and most shows probably wouldn’t work if they were.
May 9, 1:49 PM
Jan 2023
I mean it was the no. 1 anime on mal for a bit, so yes of course it was overhyped
May 9, 1:51 PM
Jul 2022
I decided to watch oshi no ko because a friend of mine (and the internet) claimed that it was one of the best anime’s ever but when i watched it, i just went “meh”
May 9, 1:55 PM
Jan 2022
7/10 anime..the fan base of it is so toxic..
May 9, 2:19 PM

Jan 2021
i do agree it was overhyped, it's still crazy good Series. and the anime doesn't even adapt the best parts.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
May 9, 4:29 PM
May 2023
I loved all of it ngl
May 9, 4:41 PM
Apr 2023
Totally but the story gets soooo much better
May 9, 4:43 PM
Sep 2023
I love this anime. It was a little bit overhyped when airing but now it's getting less so .
May 9, 4:44 PM

Aug 2018
But the idol mom is kinda hot though, so it cancels out.
May 9, 4:50 PM
Dec 2023
First ep was really good and hit super hard. The premise was good. Then it was just like ‘meh’ for the rest of the episodes.
May 9, 4:54 PM

Dec 2019
1st episode deserved its hype, peaked at 9.3 on MAL, after that ehh.. The showbiz arcs got dragged, even in the manga so I can't blame ppl for feeling finessed into believing this would be an amazing mystery anime.
May 9, 5:15 PM

Mar 2024
I do agree that it’s overhyped to a degree. Mostly because the first episode made people have certain expectations for the rest of the season. But I still think it’s a great anime nonetheless and I’ve been really enjoying the anime as well as the manga
May 9, 5:56 PM
Feb 2021
Correct amount of hype all the way thru, imo

I think the hype from the first episode was warranted. I think it was definitely one of the best first eps I've ever seen. The hype lowered as the season went on, and I think that's valid too.
May 9, 6:38 PM

May 2018
Overhype? I agree, except for the first episode.
Watch this anime because of the "Idol" and drama thing, but only the drama is good for me.
Still got some best musical anime award thing in some place, because of the massive popularity, NOT because of the music in the anime itself.
Nanami Hiromachi  Anna Mochizuki 
May 9, 7:59 PM

Apr 2023
I agree with you. Oshi No Ko is good (well used to be) but way too overrated. Aside from the pilot episode this is basically your average drama anime.

The opening is also good but a bit overrated, although I still love YOASOBI.
If I had to choose between One Piece and a girlfriend...I think I'll go with One Piece
May 9, 8:31 PM
Jan 2023
Tbh I never saw much hype about the anime itself mostly the opening being so good which it lived up to imo. now I will say the first episode was definitely the best part of the show the rest was still pretty good and I'll 100% be watching the next season as soon as I can.
May 9, 9:07 PM
Aug 2020
Nah first ep was masterpiece and movie like. Ofc rest of episodes will have some buildup and be more normal like cuz story progress in that direction.
May 9, 9:23 PM

Jan 2021
Of course it is overhyped, it's just another idolshit series that thinks it's mature but it isn't, it would be unironically better if it was a regular idol show.
May 9, 11:14 PM
Aug 2020
it's a solid 6 on a good day
May 10, 2:39 AM
Jul 2022
Anime was good with the first episode being the best.

whereas the manga is super good.
anime good, manga better.

To elaborate, not my cup of tea but for the strangest reason it kept me engaged and involved despite being in a genre I typically don't peruse/enjoy.
May 10, 3:35 AM
Jul 2022
No I don't think so. It was great from start to finish.
May 10, 8:47 AM
Feb 2024
Oshi no Ko is totally Overrated. It's only a okay show.
May 10, 11:26 AM
Mar 2021
Mooogle said:

Agreed, but only after the first episode movie, Non-manga readers borderline had no idea this was coming out before it did.

As for whether it is “Overrated” I mean kinda? If people think this series is like genius or something then yeah, but Most people see it for what it is; an entertaining drama series that has commentary on the Japanese entertainment industry and showcases the type of people involved in it. And in that regard the series is quite good, but if you’re looking for impactful character writing or really unique visuals then this series really isn’t doing that
May 10, 11:44 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
Thread Locked.

You may use this thread if you want to talk about overrated/underrated anime.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Usopp8000 - Mar 27, 2023

2680 by Chisuku »»
Yesterday, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Would you like to marry Ai given the opportunity? (first ep spoilers)

Shizuna - May 6

40 by A_Yaze »»
May 11, 8:38 AM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Jun 28, 2023

680 by Darkiiii »»
May 6, 10:23 PM

Poll: » "Oshi no Ko" Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ricky16 - May 17, 2023

869 by Tsukimariko »»
May 5, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Best girl war oshi no ko

Praveen05 - Jun 14, 2023

4 by aurora_yuuki »»
May 1, 7:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.