Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 29, 5:15 PM

May 2016
Bring back the sharp edges! The bold character outlines! What’s with this persistent smooth-ification and use of soft color palette in anime? They did it with Yugioh, Digimon, Pokemon, and many more series. It just looks generic af
Reshiram_IXMar 29, 5:18 PM
Mar 29, 5:32 PM

May 2019
It looks really pretty in the actual anime when combined with smooth animation tho
Mar 29, 5:43 PM

Apr 2021
Reshiram_IX said:
Bring back the sharp edges! The bold character outlines! What’s with this persistent smooth-ification and use of soft color palette in anime? They did it with Yugioh, Digimon, Pokemon, and many more series. It just looks generic af

Can you please provide an image example of your claim? (No offense)
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 29, 5:53 PM

May 2016
Reply to ejleon
Reshiram_IX said:

Can you please provide an image example of your claim? (No offense)
@ejleon How do you include images on here?
Mar 29, 5:55 PM

Feb 2019
Reshiram_IX said:

I mean both are too much on different sides of the spectrum, but at least it gave the original a character.

I’d mistake the new one with some cheap animal girl fantasy slop if I didn’t know the franchise.
mlem

Also read Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru (Bless Botan)
Mar 29, 6:07 PM

Nov 2019
Reshiram_IX said:

insert the image link between
[img][/img]
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Mar 29, 6:10 PM
Aug 2021
Is it not just a matter of personal preference?

Personally, I’m really not a fan of the older art style, and much prefer the new one.

I also don’t see how people claim the new style looks any more generic than the old one, since it was the same art style that you’d see in most 00’s/early 10’s anime.
Mar 29, 6:26 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Reshiram_IX
@Reshiram_IX If you reply on the website, it shows “How to use BBCode?” which shows an example.
ejleonMar 29, 6:29 PM
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Mar 29, 7:00 PM
Oct 2019
Mando727 said:
Is it not just a matter of personal preference?

Personally, I’m really not a fan of the older art style, and much prefer the new one.

I also don’t see how people claim the new style looks any more generic than the old one, since it was the same art style that you’d see in most 00’s/early 10’s anime.

They are just nostalgic, this kind of reaction was to be expected.
Since the first teaser I knew there was going to be this kind of comment.
Mar 29, 8:02 PM
Dec 2020
whenever some people bring a conversation like "old look is better and new one looks generic" some other people throw comments like "they are just nostalgic".

so can I give my opinion since it would be acceptable cuz I watched old spice and wolf just one month ago.

the old spice and wolf anime looks way better, whether it's character designs or colour palette. of course I'm not saying that new one looks bad it looks fine in its own way.

I can't fully judge it because it's not even released yet but based on the trailer I would say that it's not character designs for me that I don't like but the only problem I have is that the colour palette and art direction which looks very bland.

try to compare yourself when Ep gets released and you will realise that the aesthetically old one is way more pleasing.
past_feelingsMar 29, 8:05 PM
Mar 29, 8:23 PM
Aug 2022
I’ll admit the old style for anime’s has its own charm which I love. But the new style is for the better
Mar 29, 11:44 PM
Jul 2021
I prefer the newer style of anime characters a lot more. Tho the early 2000s ones did have their charms sometimes.
Mar 30, 12:44 AM
Dec 2020
well luckily you dont have to watch it
Mar 30, 5:53 AM
Jun 2022
It is about opinion, I personally prefer the actual one
Mar 30, 6:23 AM
Oct 2020
I agree it makes the show look very childish
Mar 30, 7:06 AM
Great Love

Mar 2019
I too think it’s a shame, but it’s more faithful to the original illustrations

Mar 30, 8:32 AM

May 2022
i believe the "new" CD to be way more faithfull to the ln ones.
Mar 30, 9:30 AM
Feb 2020
I actually have NO problem with it as the whole goal was to make it as close to the original Light Novel (source material) as possible. They did a great job as such and I for one fully approve of it.
Mar 31, 11:42 AM

Sep 2014
We need 2020's artstyle in our current generation of anime. Please, let it stays while it's alive.

If we constantly throw back to what's been made in the past, we will never develop new artstyle that are going to mark epoch and the anime industry as a whole. Anime is an organic industry. New generations of animators and creators will need to leave their fingerprints on the amazing world of the anime industry. The best thing about anime is that it can be as diverse and creative as the limit of imagination. For this to become a world-wide success, an amazing amount of creators and artists from different generations will need to explore and develop new design and artstyle constantly.

tl;dr Anime is always amazing. You are not.
KryzakamiHrybamiMar 31, 11:52 AM
Mar 31, 8:57 PM

Jul 2020
We must support all decisions made for Holo's anime. Holo's anime must succeed and we must unite to defend and protect Holo
Mar 31, 10:25 PM
Oct 2019
this is light novel accurate from what I've seen. so you are mistaken here.

personally I prefer the original adaptation's art style but this is what the source material is.
Mar 31, 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
It's not even the outlines, it's the colors. Why do their skin look so plastic. x.x

Apr 1, 12:08 AM

Sep 2020
Nostalgia speaking
Apr 1, 8:47 AM

May 2016
Reply to ZXEAN
Nostalgia speaking
@ZXEAN I haven’t watched the old series

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 20

52 by Sigmar-Unberogen »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

65 by Sigmar-Unberogen »»
8 hours ago

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

35 by Isekai-Enjoyer »»
Yesterday, 4:18 PM

» Rating

AshTheChamp - May 24

5 by KayKimii »»
May 24, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

118 by Magicmist »»
May 24, 5:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.